We have the best academy in Scotland.

Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell, St Johnstone defo. Haven’t seen enough of the others. 

You're kidding right? Where are all these great academy prospects. Who have they brought through exactly in the last few years. Tierney for Celtic and ? for Rangers. The RB who's had a few games? Who have St J brought through?  Anyone of the calibre of Hickey, or even Irving?

'Well have done well recently but it remains to be seen if that's a long term thing or more of a Hamilton and Hibs who brought some through in a. relatively short period then the supply dried up.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• DH1986

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greedy Jambo

I seen they're looking for an academy coaching development manager. 

Coaching, development and manager. 

3 jobs in one. 

She's defo wanting Craig Levein back, after the great job he did with the academy. 

Just shoot me now. 

We may well have the best academy in the country, I wouldn't know, but that doesn't count for much if it's not performing well.  Itý certainly doesn't appear to be doing so at present but I'm not prepared to judge in this covid environment.

Let's just hope there's a few gems in there and our coaches are getting the best out of them.

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You're kidding right? Where are all these great academy prospects. Who have they brought through exactly in the last few years. Tierney for Celtic and ? for Rangers. The RB who's had a few games? Who have St J brought through?  Anyone of the calibre of Hickey, or even Irving?

'Well have done well recently but it remains to be seen if that's a long term thing or more of a Hamilton and Hibs who brought some through in a. relatively short period then the supply dried up.

Billy Gilmore

On 11/04/2021 at 05:04, SpruceBringsteen said:

Couldn't give two shits about Doig. Wasn't good enough at the time, left. Boo hoo. Tell me more about how Harry Cochrane has went from scoring against Celtic and bossing Hibs to being a part time player though, because *that* interests me.

I asked that very question to a pal with links to the Academy and he says that for a while his attitude has been  poor and that for whatever reason he had not been following his personal programmes for nutrition and fitness and was a "no show" when asked to come in for extra fitness work.  Sounds like in his head he has chucked it.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I seen they're looking for an academy coaching development manager. 

Coaching, development and manager. 

3 jobs in one. 

She's defo wanting Craig Levein back, after the great job he did with the academy. 

Just shoot me now. 

Do you also think a human resources manager is 3 jobs in 1-

Human 

Resources 

Manager 

Or a captain in the army who is a doctor is 3 jobs in 1

Doctor 

Soldier 

Captain 

If so, you're in for a big surprise when you grow up and get a job. 

Footballfirst

I assume that Darren Murray is no longer managing youth coach development going by this advert and his role at Raith. 

kingantti1874
13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You aren’t paying enough attention tbh. Google is a useful tool. That aside, from what I’ve seen first hand, and secondhand from kids I know who have attended our academy and other teams academies. Ours is not regarded as the best. In fact pretty far from it. 

our own record in bring big through  young players is worse than most.  Aaron Hickey for example spent most of his developmental years at Celtic. Irving has good natural talent but will not be a huge loss. 

Edited by kingantti1874

John Murray is still floating about am not 100% sure what Savage remit is, to me we are top heavy still and now creating another job. Must cost a fortune in wages I mean what do they all do all day!

Let's be quite honest, there is little to no point in academies in Scottish football while the current structure is in place. Is it any coincidence that when we had an 18 team top league we produced much more home grown talent?

This league is completely cutthroat, compacted and you can be one or two losses away from battling relegation, it's not an environment that allows the development of young players. 

A lot has been made about a bigger league having "meaningless games" but it's much easier to blood you haters when you are not always looking over your shoulder 

20 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

If that is true then it's an absolutely abysmal attitude. When he first burst onto the scene he looked like he would become something really special. Such a waste 

I agree ... I had high hopes for Cochrane

48 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It appears to me that a number of the lads who are in the academy get either loaned out or emptied. 

Or loaned out then emptied. 

Once emptied where do these lads go in these difficult times ?

I hope they have some qualifications. 

Others will probably have left school as early as possible to sign professional forms. What's going to happen to these lads ?

It makes you think.

I know some academies will allow players to still go to school and go to training even once a pro contract is signed. As a parent I think you have a responsibility to make sure education is in place at least to higher level although I appreciate some kids are less academically minded 

5 hours ago, Hesh said:

I know some academies will allow players to still go to school and go to training even once a pro contract is signed. As a parent I think you have a responsibility to make sure education is in place at least to higher level although I appreciate some kids are less academically minded 

Hearts have an arrangement with Balerno High School whereby youth players can continue their education. I think this demonstrates care by the club. Not heard of any other club doing similar. 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 13/05/2021 at 22:17, jambocub said:

Billy Gilmore

How many game did he get for Rangers? Does that mean we can count Marc Leonard and Josh Doig as success stories?

Guest ToqueJambo
On 14/05/2021 at 03:08, kingantti1874 said:

You aren’t paying enough attention tbh. Google is a useful tool. That aside, from what I’ve seen first hand, and secondhand from kids I know who have attended our academy and other teams academies. Ours is not regarded as the best. In fact pretty far from it. 

our own record in bring big through  young players is worse than most.  Aaron Hickey for example spent most of his developmental years at Celtic. Irving has good natural talent but will not be a huge loss. 

So no names then to back up your argument so we can compare actual facts? Cool.

I'd be vey surprised if we weren't top or near the top for minutes given to kids over the last 5 or 6 years, especially compared to our rivals of similar size and Rangers and Celtic. IN terms of transfer fees, what other teams have got what we got for a 17 year old?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Kirky Jambo
On 13/05/2021 at 21:32, ToqueJambo said:

St Johnstone have both Jason Kerr and Ali McCann who I think it’s fair to say would walk into our first 11. Chris Kane is probably better than anyone we have brought through.

All 3 from Edinburgh as well (based on wiki...)

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

So no names then to back up your argument so we can compare actual facts? Cool.

I'd be vey surprised if we weren't top or near the top for minutes given to kids over the last 5 or 6 years, especially compared to our rivals of similar size and Rangers and Celtic. IN terms of transfer fees, what other teams have got what we got for a 17 year old?

I’m not here to do your research for you, if you aren’t aware of the players other teams have brought through then that’s your issue.

that aside I’m predominantly talking about coaching at the younger age groups. You wouldn’t know the kids I’m referring to. The faculties at hearts are great.  The coaching, the priorities, the levein legacy left by not so great. .  

Probably why we are looking to make a change, Better that than sticking your head in the sand and insisting we are the best. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not here to do your research for you, if you aren’t aware of the players other teams have brought through then that’s your issue.

that aside I’m predominantly talking about coaching at the younger age groups. You wouldn’t know the kids I’m referring to. The faculties at hearts are great.  The coaching, the priorities, the levein legacy left by not so great. .  

Probably why we are looking to make a change, Better that than sticking your head in the sand and insisting we are the best. 

Who cares what they're like at that level. The proof of the pudding is first team games.

ford donald
On 14/05/2021 at 07:09, Disco Ball said:

I asked that very question to a pal with links to the Academy and he says that for a while his attitude has been  poor and that for whatever reason he had not been following his personal programmes for nutrition and fitness and was a "no show" when asked to come in for extra fitness work.  Sounds like in his head he has chucked it.

CL gave Doig a lot of praise as a player and his attitude,then he lets him go,really? Hope you have a sell on fee attached!

3 hours ago, ford donald said:

CL gave Doig a lot of praise as a player and his attitude,then he lets him go,really? Hope you have a sell on fee attached!

We were discussing Harry Cochrane 

On 15/05/2021 at 08:24, Rave MacPherson said:

I suppose you never know what is going on in someone's mind, especially young folks! 

I assume with his talent and potential he has an attentive agent ... so another assumption is that this bevaviour is pre-planned

ford donald
22 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

We were discussing Harry Cochrane 

Yes i know,someone mentioned doig.

Cambo_Jambo
20 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

St Johnstone have both Jason Kerr and Ali McCann who I think it’s fair to say would walk into our first 11. Chris Kane is probably better than anyone we have brought through.

All 3 from Edinburgh as well (based on wiki...)

Ali McCAnn is Edinburgh and probably a Hearts fan although his family is a rugby one primarily. His brother is a Scotland 7's internationalist.

McCann is seriously good. I could see him going quite a bit higher in football if he gets the breaks.

Kirky Jambo
2 hours ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

Ali McCAnn is Edinburgh and probably a Hearts fan although his family is a rugby one primarily. His brother is a Scotland 7's internationalist.

McCann is seriously good. I could see him going quite a bit higher in football if he gets the breaks.

Cheers, agreed re McCann and I know people at the club rate him. Sadly he will be out of our reach. 

If we can start producing (and hopefully recognizing) talent at a younger age that would be a big step. I’ve seen a lot of arguments about Doig himself admitting he wasn’t very good at Hearts and whilst I have some sympathy with the club you would like to think we employ experts who can see potential - at the end of the day someone at Hibs did with Doig and Cummings. Had to stop myself from mentioning one of Europe’s top prospects Oli Shaw too...

On 15/05/2021 at 16:10, ToqueJambo said:

How many game did he get for Rangers? Does that mean we can count Marc Leonard and Josh Doig as success stories?

Did we not recieve a fee for Leonard?

• 1 month later...

Henderson, Pollock, Mcgill, Denholm, Smith, and the list goes on and on, please these lads are the future Hearts. 

We can make a lot of money out of these kids 😂 seriously though let's bring pride and passion back into Hearts, and have parents and kids saying we are the best in the country at developing youth, Gorgie Rules!!!. 

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Henderson, Pollock, Mcgill, Denholm, Smith, and the list goes on and on, please these lads are the future Hearts. 

We can make a lot of money out of these kids 😂 seriously though let's bring pride and passion back into Hearts, and have parents and kids saying we are the best in the country at developing youth, Gorgie Rules!!!. 

Whats happened with mcgill? Is he part of the 1st team plans?

15 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Whats happened with mcgill? Is he part of the 1st team plans?

Not 100% sure in my opinion he should be, these lads can learn just as much at playing first team games with us, as they would going out on loan. 

Robbie said he wanted to cut the age of the squad let's do it. 

Mr Brightside
7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Every year I am hopeful of some of the youngsters breaking through. Hopefully this year one or two can become regularly involved in the first team squad.

David McCaig
8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You haven't even mentioned the best of the lot... Harry Stone!!

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

You haven't even mentioned the best of the lot... Harry Stone!!

Bit early for that!

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not 100% sure in my opinion he should be, these lads can learn just as much at playing first team games with us, as they would going out on loan. 

Robbie said he wanted to cut the age of the squad let's do it. 

They can only learn if they are good enough to add to the team now. 

We need results, we need to play well and we need to have good season(s). 

We aren't a boys club than can wait 2 or 3 seasons for players to deliver, we need instant success. 

If we have Good  enough young players then great, if not we need better. 

Bazzas right boot

I'm not even sure the youth  model is beneficial. 

Motherwell seem to have done well with youth, sold a few on but they haven't replaced them and many of thier players leave and run down their contracts. 

They've got progressively worse over 3/4 seasons. 

We've just lost a young lad to Rangers. 

Irving refused to sign an extension, before him Hickey refused to sign an extension so we got a reduced fee and before that Paterson run down his contract. 

Hickey and Paterson did have a positive impact on the first team tho, which is what is important. 

Can any club in Scotland say that having a youth system has benefited them? 

For example, played well for 2/3 seasons, club has got a big fee and after that the club has used that fee to improve the team and the club as a whole has got better and moved forward 

Southampton down south are an example I can think off. 

A_A wehatethehibs
35 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm not even sure the youth  model is beneficial. 

Motherwell seem to have done well with youth, sold a few on but they haven't replaced them and many of thier players leave and run down their contracts. 

They've got progressively worse over 3/4 seasons. 

We've just lost a young lad to Rangers. 

Irving refused to sign an extension, before him Hickey refused to sign an extension so we got a reduced fee and before that Paterson run down his contract. 

Hickey and Paterson did have a positive impact on the first team tho, which is what is important. 

Can any club in Scotland say that having a youth system has benefited them? 

For example, played well for 2/3 seasons, club has got a big fee and after that the club has used that fee to improve the team and the club as a whole has got better and moved forward 

Southampton down south are an example I can think off. 

It's the old cliche about the blend, youth and experience. You need young kids at the very beginning of their careers who are fans of the club, that's what the Foundation of Hearts is all about, we want to be bringing through our lads, the fans want that, the fans have been asked what we want, this is in the FOH mission statement. That's what kids like Finlay Pollock and Harry Stone represents as of right now. We want the next Craig Gordons, Christophe Berras coming through. That's what inspires all our kids, to see these guys, with the chance to play for Hearts, come though and represent us on the pitch for their whole careers even when they move on to pastures new. There may be a group of  7 or 8 year old lads that know Finlay and watched his great performance last night and may find their new hero, an inspiration for what's possible. And the cycle goes on. That's what football is all about for me. 

It's down to the club to make it work and I for one am pleased with the focus this summer on youth development first and foremost. 11 kids got their first pro deals or extensions. 2 men have been appointed by Savage, McLaughlan and Naismith, with the explicit roles of developing the young guys who make it to the fringes of the first team, managing that transition as they may yo-yo up to the first team then back down for a few months - because they need to be working on specific things in training. It's good step change from last season where it was tough with Covid, these kids hadn't even kicked a ball for the whole lockdown so it was about senior guys, grinding out promotion and guaranteeing promotion. 

That "in between youth and first team" support was maybe something which wasn't previously there, so when the likes of Cochranes or McDonalds form fell away and they struggled to find the consistency, and had injuries, they were maybe a bit isolated and lacking that mentor / guidance, and it hit their progress. That's Naismith and McLaughlan's remit starting now. To me the summer business so far has been a real indication of there has been a good deal of listening to the fans about what we want in the upcoming post-Levein era we are now at the start of. Just need to top it off with 1 or 2 quality signings to raise those standards and push everyone that extra yard better.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

• 2 weeks later...

Ex Hearts youth player Ally Roy maybe keep an eye on him, seems to have bulked up a bit, and hopefully he can keep progressing, nice to see academy lads do well. 

Maybe he can come back one day. 

Liam Gordon is the one I would like back, Ally Roy no thanks has had loads of clubs including a spell over water.

Footballfirst

Could "Max" be one that got away?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2408740/max-kucheriavyi-ukraine-kids-journey-from-kiev-to-brechin-city-via-hearts-st-johnstone-and-the-2018-champions-league-final/

This is the tale of how a boy from Ukraine found himself at Glebe Park, via Hearts and St Johnstone.

Kucheriavyi was first spotted when Brechin City’s new full-time advisor Craig Levein and chairman Kevin Mackie were in Kiev to watch the 2018 Champions League Final.

The midfield playmaker was scouted was at a Kiev soccer school in the days that led up to that Real Madrid v Liverpool clash.

He was then offered training facilities at Hearts at the age of 16.

For two years, Kucheriavyi made the 2,500-mile round trip between his Kiev home and Edinburgh for regular training stints.

Every training session edged him closer to his promised Tynecastle deal, one he was supposed to pen as soon as international cross-border rules permitted.

But with Levein sacked as Hearts boss and left the Tynecastle club in May 2020 – just before Kucheriavyi turned 18.

The youngster was out in the cold until St Johnstone stepped in and handed him a three-year deal after he impressed in training.

Now, with his Scottish dream very much alive, Kucheriavyi is learning his trade on loan at Highland League side Brechin.

“We spotted Max in Kiev when I was out there with Kevin for the Champions League Final,” said Levein.

“I went to a soccer school and he was one of those players that makes you step back and say ‘wow’.

“He was by far the smallest player there but he was a cut above the rest.

“His football brain has developed a lot faster than his physicality. Once that catches up, he’ll be some player.

“He’s already two or three levels up from where we are but because no-one knows him yet we’ve got him.

“He spent more than two years travelling from Ukraine to Scotland to train with Hearts.

“I’d spoken to him about a contract but couldn’t sign him because of FIFA regulations against cross-border transfers.

“Three months before his 18th birthday I left my job at Hearts.

“Robbie Neilson came in and, understandably, had other priorities. Covid kicked in and because no-one had seen Max playing we didn’t know what would be next.

“But I didn’t want to give up him. I didn’t want all his effort to be a waste of time.

“Thankfully St Johnstone took our word on him and gave him a chance.

“St Johnstone have a good record on developing young players and Callum Davidson has given Max a three-year deal.

“We are very lucky to have him at Brechin.

“Personally, I don’t think he’ll have any worries about going back to St Johnstone and making an impact.”

Kucheriavyi, now 19, is relishing his opportunity at Brechin as he tries to force his way into contention at double-winners St Johnstone.

He has also had no problems adapting to the lifestyle in Scotland.

“I already knew English from school when I started coming over so that wasn’t an issue,” said Kuckeriavyi.

“The only issue was that people speak it differently in Scotland!

“I was fine after a few months. I was coming over for a few weeks at a time and going back to Ukraine.

“Then it became a month in Scotland and four days back home.

“It was nice to see my family but all I have ever wanted to do was play football so it was worth the effort.

“It’s good to be at Brechin. The St Johnstone manager told me to get the experience I need to get into the first team as soon as possible.”

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2408740/max-kucheriavyi-ukraine-kids-journey-from-kiev-to-brechin-city-via-hearts-st-johnstone-and-the-2018-champions-league-final/

This is the tale of how a boy from Ukraine found himself at Glebe Park, via Hearts and St Johnstone.

Kucheriavyi was first spotted when Brechin City’s new full-time advisor Craig Levein and chairman Kevin Mackie were in Kiev to watch the 2018 Champions League Final.

The midfield playmaker was scouted was at a Kiev soccer school in the days that led up to that Real Madrid v Liverpool clash.

For two years, Kucheriavyi made the 2,500-mile round trip between his Kiev home and Edinburgh for regular training stints.

Every training session edged him closer to his promised Tynecastle deal, one he was supposed to pen as soon as international cross-border rules permitted.

But with Levein sacked as Hearts boss and left the Tynecastle club in May 2020 – just before Kucheriavyi turned 18.

The youngster was out in the cold until St Johnstone stepped in and handed him a three-year deal after he impressed in training.

Now, with his Scottish dream very much alive, Kucheriavyi is learning his trade on loan at Highland League side Brechin.

“We spotted Max in Kiev when I was out there with Kevin for the Champions League Final,” said Levein.

“I went to a soccer school and he was one of those players that makes you step back and say ‘wow’.

“His football brain has developed a lot faster than his physicality. Once that catches up, he’ll be some player.

“He’s already two or three levels up from where we are but because no-one knows him yet we’ve got him.

“He spent more than two years travelling from Ukraine to Scotland to train with Hearts.

“I’d spoken to him about a contract but couldn’t sign him because of FIFA regulations against cross-border transfers.

“Robbie Neilson came in and, understandably, had other priorities. Covid kicked in and because no-one had seen Max playing we didn’t know what would be next.

“But I didn’t want to give up him. I didn’t want all his effort to be a waste of time.

“St Johnstone have a good record on developing young players and Callum Davidson has given Max a three-year deal.

“Personally, I don’t think he’ll have any worries about going back to St Johnstone and making an impact.”

Kucheriavyi, now 19, is relishing his opportunity at Brechin as he tries to force his way into contention at double-winners St Johnstone.

“I already knew English from school when I started coming over so that wasn’t an issue,” said Kuckeriavyi.

“I was fine after a few months. I was coming over for a few weeks at a time and going back to Ukraine.

“It was nice to see my family but all I have ever wanted to do was play football so it was worth the effort.

“It’s good to be at Brechin. The St Johnstone manager told me to get the experience I need to get into the first team as soon as possible.”

Can't work out if this is a good news Hearts story or bad one! Good on the scouting and more unlucky than bad in terms of covid timing? Not sure where Stendel fits in as it sounds like Max was still very much on our radar when he was here.

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Can still get him Football first 😉 about time our club took the same attitude as Celtic and Rangers. 

Can always buy talent, and with James now at the club, we shouldn't be short of cash. 

Mr Brightside
8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Can't work out if this is a good news Hearts story or bad one! Good on the scouting and more unlucky than bad in terms of covid timing? Not sure where Stendel fits in as it sounds like Max was still very much on our radar when he was here.

Seems strange that someone like Roger Arnott wouldn’t be able to make the signing and add him to the youth team.

Might just be bad luck with timing.

Nookie Bear
10 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can still get him Football first 😉 about time our club took the same attitude as Celtic and Rangers. 

Can always buy talent, and with James now at the club, we shouldn't be short of cash. 

Why is James at the club if it isn’t to bring his fat wallet with him? 

To provide consultation? Nah, waste of time. 

Get the chequebook out Jimmy 👍🏻

Edited by Nookie Bear

• 9 months later...
Jambo 4 Ever

This is a concern for me

we are supposed to have a good youth system yet in the final meaningless games of the season we hardly have any a run out 

We_are_the_Hearts

The money would be better used purchasing cast offs from better clubs academies. If we produce a star he will be gone by 16 year old anyway

2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The money would be better used purchasing cast offs from better clubs academies. If we produce a star he will be gone by 16 year old anyway

Absolutely. It's a no win situation the way things are at the moment. 

39 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This is a concern for me

we are supposed to have a good youth system yet in the final meaningless games of the season we hardly have any a run out 

Just laddies. 

Seems to me that it is the next thing on the rebuild list after restructuring every thing else that was not functioning as well as it could be

Neilson brought in to repair the first team after the mess Levein and Stendel made of it

Ann stepping back to be Chair woman and McKinlay brought in as CEO

Savage brought in to over haul our recruitment and being given the freedom to appoint his own team

Anderson using his cash to complete the stadium

The womens team brought up a level

Now it is the academy ………… if you read the words coming from various interviews it seems like Savage wants us to have our own facility so that we can realise our ambitions and I would not bet against him doing a good job

Either way it seems obvious to me that we are not going to go down the often mentioned Brentford route and far from scrapping the academy we are looking to make it work better

• 11 months later...
Bongo 1874

Noticed my structure, philosophy, style of play thread has been taken down ? Did i do something wrong?

Again with so many academy players signing new contracts, i can't wait to see them next season pre season will be good 😀.

I stand by this.