Vanity Projects

Sertse

I do think it is embarrassing the investment both the Hearts men and women teams have and the results they are getting. 

I guess they suffer from the same soft shite approach by Budge. Will Kirk get sacked if the ladies are relegated? 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sertse

• Hesh

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the OP you could argue what's the point in investing millions in the first team when they get pumped pumped out the Scottish Cup by non league opponents?  How much has been wasted on the first team since 2014.  We've been garbage for years now so what the point? 

Saint Jambo
7 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I'm a misogynist for questioning why we spend hundreds of thousands on something which gives us nothing back when the club is in the state it's in, right then😂

At least one of our benefactors who has pumped millions of pounds into the club clearly sees the women's game as important. When he gave money to the SFA earlier in the year he insisted that part of that money to the women's game. Unless you have been in the room when the benefactors have been discussing their donations to Hearts, you have no way of knowing whether it has given us anything back. It may be that it is entirely self-funding through those donations alone.

Equally, while you might not be happy for any of your FOH donations to go towards the women's team, I'm certainly happy for a percentage of mine to do so.

11 minutes ago, Bainy said:

Based on the OP you could argue what's the point in investing millions in the first team when they get pumped pumped out the Scottish Cup by non league opponents?  How much has been wasted on the first team since 2014.  We've been garbage for years now so what the point? 

Harsh

but fair 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

Rangers are a professional team. Our squad is made up of teenagers and girls working in shops. If we had the investment Rangers did it wouldn’t be the way it was. I see no harm in us having a women’s team. 

You’d rather the men’s team was given even MORE money to spend on players with the signings we’ve made?

Any info on the forfar team? I was surprised to see them in the top flight?

As for spending on the women's team I cant see the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

At least one of our benefactors who has pumped millions of pounds into the club clearly sees the women's game as important. When he gave money to the SFA earlier in the year he insisted that part of that money to the women's game. Unless you have been in the room when the benefactors have been discussing their donations to Hearts, you have no way of knowing whether it has given us anything back. It may be that it is entirely self-funding through those donations alone.

Equally, while you might not be happy for any of your FOH donations to go towards the women's team, I'm certainly happy for a percentage of mine to do so.

The reality is it’s 2021, big teams have Women’s teams (and an Academy)

100% behind it. Do it properly or not at all, takes a bit of time to get a team up to the level when they're challenging so hope they stick at it. A bit tragic some of the opinions on here it's 2021 ffs!!

56 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Saying guys spend money on fifa has absolutely nothing to do with the question posed. Then saying people are incels for not agreeing with you. Then call the thread a car crash because you don't agree with it.

None of these arguments on why we should spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a womens team which earns us nothing.

But there is a potential in the next decade for a women's Hearts team to add to the revenue stream of the Club.  We have a superb stadium which is used once a fortnight.  

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

In December 2018, Hearts owner Ann Budge announced at the Heart of Midlothian AGM a "six-figure investment year on year" into Hearts Women, alongside an expansion to their academy in order to integrate the women's team further into the club.

They just got beat 6-0 by Rangers women today.

They're bottom of their league with a single win. 

Their results this season include getting beat 5-0 by Glasgow City, Rangers 5-1 and an absolute disgrace of a result, 10-0 against septic. 

Considering the state of the club, why is she being allowed to dump money into a nicety so she can feel better for herself? 

What is having a women's team bringing to the club when a six figure amount is getting thrown at them and they're getting hammered all the time?

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. It doesn’t cost a lot and many big clubs have a women’s team. Let’s face it, if our first team was doing well nobody would give a shit. 

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Behind Forfar Farmington :rofl: that sounds like a made-up team ffs. Goal difference of minus 31. 

To be fair Forfar Farmington women have been on the go since at least the 90's and possibly earlier. Agreed it's a stupid name though.

1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

I'm all for this. Look at the money that goes into any men's team vs any women's team.

I have a daughter, and if she wants to play football and gets to represent hearts I'll be a very happy man. All teams should put money into the womans game.

Given the state of many things at the club, I think 100k into the women's team is not an issue to be concerned about.

An academy that doesn't produce year on year. A team that dont look like they give a damn. A manager who has lost the fans and the players. And a chairwoman who has lost the fans. And one of the most atrocious signing policies I can see of any club for about 10 years and counting. Those are my priorities.

Good post

much bigger problems than worrying about 100K to the Hearts Woman. They should be funded so it’s a yes from me

Edited by James1874f

3fingersreid

The club was formed in 1980 when founder/chairman Colin Brown, who was involved in local boys football for many years, taking a party of local boys to Farmington, Connecticut USA on the invitation of friend and former local Al Bell.

The following year, the Americans came to Scotland and brought with them a girls side, and it was then the first girls team was brought together.  In 1984, Colin formed ‘Forfar Farmington’; a girls club with a single side which initially played friendly matches, before entering a formalised league in 1990.

Bunny Munro

While we're at it, and I'm not ITK on this, but I'm sure I've heard a percentage of James Anderson's money was supposed to go into community projects - such as improving the ladies team.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Danguar said:

Rangers, Glasgow City and Celtic Women all get millions and millions of pounds put into their squads, Hibs get hundreds of thousands and have done for a long time.

Many of their players are either full time or get a healthy amount of money playing for their club. 

Our squad is an incredibly new team, years old, with some level of investment but not a lot. With us being relegated, costs were cut and people behind the scenes moved on.

Hearts went up expecting to come straight back down due to the complete mismatch in finances at the top of the league and the longevity of teams at the bottom of the league.

Out of interest, who funds Glasgow City if they’re full time?  I can understand Rangers or Celtic being full time with their resources but it’s surely not possible to be a self sustained full time women’s club in Scotland based on hardly any paying fans (even when there’s no Covid) or tv deal. 

The entire Hearts Ladies set-up costs less than 1 male player's annual wage.

Scrapping it won't make a jot of positive difference.

They've done great in just getting promoted on the meagre funds we've provided them.

1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

I'm all for this. Look at the money that goes into any men's team vs any women's team.

I have a daughter, and if she wants to play football and gets to represent hearts I'll be a very happy man. All teams should put money into the womans game.

Given the state of many things at the club, I think 100k into the women's team is not an issue to be concerned about.

An academy that doesn't produce year on year. A team that dont look like they give a damn. A manager who has lost the fans and the players. And a chairwoman who has lost the fans. And one of the most atrocious signing policies I can see of any club for about 10 years and counting. Those are my priorities.

Saved me typing all that. So I can just add, exactly where I am at with it. 

Nookie Bear

It’s not a huge sum and I appreciate a fair chunk of it is from benefactors (?)

Can’t say I’m convinced it has a huge knock-on benefit for the club but I am basing that on the fact hibs have had a very strong ladies team and I’ve never sensed it had much impact. 

Kennedy Bakircioglu
2 hours ago, Sertse said:

In December 2018, Hearts owner Ann Budge announced at the Heart of Midlothian AGM a "six-figure investment year on year" into Hearts Women, alongside an expansion to their academy in order to integrate the women's team further into the club.

They just got beat 6-0 by Rangers women today.

They're bottom of their league with a single win. 

Their results this season include getting beat 5-0 by Glasgow City, Rangers 5-1 and an absolute disgrace of a result, 10-0 against septic. 

Considering the state of the club, why is she being allowed to dump money into a nicety so she can feel better for herself? 

What is having a women's team bringing to the club when a six figure amount is getting thrown at them and they're getting hammered all the time?

You are clearly a dinosaur. Get with the times. It's great to see the investment in the women's side. It won't happen for them overnight but its superb to see the club getting with the times. 

2 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

You are clearly a dinosaur. Get with the times. It's great to see the investment in the women's side. It won't happen for them overnight but its superb to see the club getting with the times. 

I'm in my 20's but nice try. 'get with the times' isn't a good argument for pouring hundreds of thousands into something that you get nothing back from.

2 hours ago, Sertse said:

What does that bring to the club? Is it worth spending over 100k a year on (probably even more)?

Yes it is

2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

...pouring hundreds of thousands into something that you get nothing back from.

What are you expecting in return though? One of the benefactors (presumably James Anderson) wanted to put money into the women's team. If they can become established in the league, then sponsorship and fan attendance will help them grow.

It'd be daft for the club not to do this considering how much the women's game is growing. Would you rather the Hearts women were stuck in the lower leagues forever? Maybe you don't watch it or care which is fair enough but there is good reason for the club to do this.

Not convinced Kirk is their answer though and pretty sure he is just a stop gap from when the pandemic hit and all football below elite (men?) being paused.

2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Utter roasters on this thread. Did anyone tell you it was 2021? You obviously have no idea about business, sport and financial opportunities. Thank god people like you will never have any part in running hearts. Total wasters 

👍🏻

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I'm a misogynist for questioning why we spend hundreds of thousands on something which gives us nothing back when the club is in the state it's in, right then😂

You really have not looked at the potential benefits in terms of engagement and increase of the female fanbase , family fanbase , the increased revenue of having womens games at the stadium etc , thats just a tiny part if it too.... To post what you have is beyond being a dinosaur , its either an attempt to troll , an attempt to pick another hole in the club or a misogynistic stance. 

34 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The club was formed in 1980 when founder/chairman Colin Brown, who was involved in local boys football for many years, taking a party of local boys to Farmington, Connecticut USA on the invitation of friend and former local Al Bell.

The following year, the Americans came to Scotland and brought with them a girls side, and it was then the first girls team was brought together.  In 1984, Colin formed ‘Forfar Farmington’; a girls club with a single side which initially played friendly matches, before entering a formalised league in 1990.

love that you didnt engage the arsehole opinions and stuck to the Forfar bit. Well played Mr D , maybe we can set up a meeting between our female captain and Sertse so they can put him in his place. Possibly with a lot of volleying footballs to the face

Dusk_Till_Dawn
44 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

You learn something every day.

19 minutes ago, Sertse said:

......for pouring hundreds of thousands into something that you get nothing back from.

Perhaps some of the Women give a F about the club which is more than some of the men seem to

Never going to have a pop at the ladies game, they love it and good luck to them. By the way their only win was against the hobbos!

If all was well with the men`s team this subject would not be broached.

LondonJambo1985

Who wins…the team from yesterday vs the women’s team? If it’s the latter, can we sign them all on a 6 weeks deals to help get us promoted? Imagine the seethe at Alloa if we beat them 5-0 playing our ladies side.
Plus, the ladies would more than likely bleed maroon, more loyal than the journeymen we have today (Gordon aside)! 

Nookie Bear
Just now, LondonJambo1985 said:

Who wins…the team from yesterday vs the women’s team? If it’s the latter, can we sign them all on a 6 weeks deals to help get us promoted? Imagine the seethe at Alloa if we beat them 5-0 playing our ladies side.
Plus, the ladies would more than likely bleed maroon, more loyal than the journeymen we have today (Gordon aside)! 

Is the captain not hibs? 😄

Voice of reason
1 hour ago, kila said:

I do think it is embarrassing the investment both the Hearts men and women teams have and the results they are getting. 

I guess they suffer from the same soft shite approach by Budge. Will Kirk get sacked if the ladies are relegated? 

No relegation this season as the top league is being expanded to 10 teams. Two teams coming up and none going down. That’s probably the reason Kirk has fielded so many 16 year olds as he wants to get them up to speed before results really count next season. I think he’s doing a decent job and we are on the up (despite the league position) and Hibs are falling away from being a top 2 team every season. It’s all trending in the right direction.

LondonJambo1985
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don’t know that much about the women’s game or the players tbh. If she is, then fair play! 

3fingersreid
42 minutes ago, sadj said:

👍🏻

love that you didnt engage the arsehole opinions and stuck to the Forfar bit. Well played Mr D , maybe we can set up a meeting between our female captain and Sertse so they can put him in his place. Possibly with a lot of volleying footballs to the face

Ach my thoughts are some folk like/love the woman’s game , some are unsure but could be persuaded and others are opposed to it . Everyone has their own idea and that’s fine as long as it doesn’t become personal abuse of the women’s team . 

the result wasn’t a huge shock to be honest , a semi-professional team that have trained pretty much throughout ( along with celtic and glasgow city) the lockdown ,beating an amateur team who have only been back a fortnight isn’t really a surprise *. 

First half was awful , second half was better . On a personal level Claire did some good ,a lot not so good , but as long as she learns from it . 
My big concern is that the glasgow teams will kill the competitiveness of the league given the financial disparity( where do we know similar from ?) 

another easy game next , celtic 😱

* exact opposite to our men’s team 

Edited by 3fingersreid

3fingersreid
15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not hibs , but rangers 

It’s threads like this that highlight the problems with the club and the fans and how the current position is blurring lines. The problem isn’t money it’s how the club operates and the standard expected from the first team. 

We can afford a women’s team and for all the reasons stated we should have one. We’ve signed 97 players in the last 5 years ffs, we’ve been throwing cash around like confetti but here we are in the championship trying to limp home as champions.

If it encourages more young women into sport and football then is definitely worth it. 👍 And is just 1% of the club's turnover, the original post just smacks of frustration and a bit of sexism. 

36 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

No relegation this season as the top league is being expanded to 10 teams. Two teams coming up and none going down. That’s probably the reason Kirk has fielded so many 16 year olds as he wants to get them up to speed before results really count next season. I think he’s doing a decent job and we are on the up (despite the league position) and Hibs are falling away from being a top 2 team every season. It’s all trending in the right direction.

👍

1 hour ago, sadj said:

👍🏻

You really have not looked at the potential benefits in terms of engagement and increase of the female fanbase , family fanbase , the increased revenue of having womens games at the stadium etc , thats just a tiny part if it too.... To post what you have is beyond being a dinosaur , its either an attempt to troll , an attempt to pick another hole in the club or a misogynistic stance. 

😴

Women's football has become massive worldwide and it's great that we're now part of it.

Not worried about this covid season but hope for better things to come.

As the father of a Jambo daughter (Only child) 

Im all for Hearts having a Ladies team and, let’s be honest what would we have wasted that money on?

Geddyalexneil

I'm a bloke! 

I think there is a lot wrong at the moment at Tynecastle. 

Women's football is not one of those things wrong.

I believe it is a good idea, encouraging young girls to get into football and hopefully through that lead them towards supporting HMFC as well  The folk's who's sisters, daughters, granddaughters, nieces play in maroon that aren't already Heart's fans may lean towards the club, buying merchandise down the line in support of their girls for instance. I can see there are plenty benefits for the club going forward. Not a waste at all. Happy to see females getting involved more in the sport I love. 

Waste of money even if it was 10k.

Nobody is interested in it, it’s the pits. 

women’s football wouldn’t last 5 mins without piggybacking on men’s teams. 

pish.

oh but it’s 2021 😂

Edited by Irufushi

52 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Waste of money even if it was 10k.

Nobody is interested in it, it’s the pits. 

women’s football wouldn’t last 5 mins without piggybacking on men’s teams. 

pish.

oh but it’s 2021 😂

comments like this are what’s pish 

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 hours ago, 1874jrs said:

300k on damours wages  or 100k on women's football where they are actually contributing something to the club 

This. Couldn't give a monkey's about the women's team but I'm not going to begrudge them money given the money pissed up the wall on shite male footballers.

Quite happy to see money spaffed in to a womens team at least it means it's money that won't be spent on another shite player for the 'mens' team.

14 hours ago, kila said:

What are you expecting in return though? One of the benefactors (presumably James Anderson) wanted to put money into the women's team. If they can become established in the league, then sponsorship and fan attendance will help them grow.

It'd be daft for the club not to do this considering how much the women's game is growing. Would you rather the Hearts women were stuck in the lower leagues forever? Maybe you don't watch it or care which is fair enough but there is good reason for the club to do this.

Not convinced Kirk is their answer though and pretty sure he is just a stop gap from when the pandemic hit and all football below elite (men?) being paused.

I don't think the club breaks down but I wouldn't be surprised that it is indeed JA that is funding.

If I recollect at the 2019 set of accounts it was called out that for the first time benefactors funding was allowed to go to first team squad (outside of shirt sponsorship) but whether that be from the directive of benefactor or request from club, I'm not so sure either.

Craig Levein e.g did mention on one of the summer Sportsound podcasts the digital initiatives at Tynecastle for kids is full JA funded.

Perhaps the disingenuous side from the club is allowing people to believe these are great community initiatives on it's side rather than benefactors.  

I've got to say if I was extremely wealthy I'd buy more season tickets for vulnerable while supply continues to outstrip demand, do corporate more and a bit more aside for the club to spend as they wish but if I was 'giving away' money I think I'd request it was given to non first team projects.

Give me a price to replace all the floodlights with LED ones; to power hose the Roseburn and Wheatfield Stands; more heat lamps for the pitch; tidy the Roseburn seats up and so on.

Or I could have said stop this negotiating for Andy Halliday, here's the extra £xxk he wants.

I'll be bloody delighted for him to go onto podcasts saying Rangers should be aiming to go season undefeated, and no reason why they shouldn't, but all Hearts should aim for is winning the league, on goal difference if need be and of course we will be beaten along the way.

Edited by DETTY29