Vanity Projects

Sertse

16 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Woman's football is taking off.

We argue Hearts are 3rd biggest club in Scotland. It would be a huge detriment  to our name, not  to to be encouraging  the woman's game.

Agree with this.

The thing I find disappointing is that Rangers have bought the league. Their signings this year have been big and also targeted Glasgow City to make them weaker.

Glasgow City is the epitome of football on merit. If they want to retain that then they need to introduce salary caps and other measures ASAFP or GC will end up the Queens Park of womens football.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sertse

• Hesh

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• 3fingersreid

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

Agree with this.

The thing I find disappointing is that Rangers have bought the league. Their signings this year have been big and also targeted Glasgow City to make them weaker.

Glasgow City is the epitome of football on merit. If they want to retain that then they need to introduce salary caps and other measures ASAFP or GC will end up the Queens Park of womens football.

Good Post. It would be great if some leadership could be shown now, in its infancy, before it turns into the same farcical duopoly as the men's game in Scotland. 

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Agree with this.

My impression of women’s football, certainly in Europe, is that it is very quickly trying to copy the men’s game in terms of the wealthier clubs creating closed shops. 

And luckily for them, they don’t have 100+ years of history to get over so they will probably manage it. 

Any thoughts of making it competitive and allowing the likes of Hearts to grow and compete is fanciful, I think. 

17 hours ago, 1874jrs said:

300k on damours wages  or 100k on women's football where they are actually contributing something to the club 

If ever perspective was needed, this is it.

There’s a plague of stupidity sweeping the land.

Now Hearts have taken some real thrashings over the years so just because our womans team got beat 6-0 there's a bit of an over reaction. Hearts starting a womans team was the correct thing to do, end of.

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Agree with this.

Doncaster Belle’s , Sunderland and Man City spring to mind down in England. Belle’s finished second bottom the two seasons before they changed their structure to two top divisions. Man City finished fourth in the division below Sunderland win that league three years in a row. The FA went we know what we will do we will leave Sunderland down , relegate Belle’s and let Man City come up. That had nothing to do with sporting integrity and everything to do with money.

Niemi’s gloves
16 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

No relegation this season as the top league is being expanded to 10 teams. Two teams coming up and none going down. That’s probably the reason Kirk has fielded so many 16 year olds as he wants to get them up to speed before results really count next season. I think he’s doing a decent job and we are on the up (despite the league position) and Hibs are falling away from being a top 2 team every season. It’s all trending in the right direction.

Interesting. Do you know what format is planned for next season? I think it’s 3x7 games this year. 2x9 followed by a split into say top 4, bottom 6 might be in everybody’s interest. 

portobellojambo1
19 hours ago, Sertse said:

Yes

Do you genuinely think that an additional figure of around £100-£150k being given to the first team coach would have made a difference to what we have been seeing on the park for too long now. It seems like a pittance, but it is getting females more interested in the sport and the club, which in turn should/could generate more money. Lot more to worry about than this small amount of money being ploughed into women's football. The ladies team is possibly being targetted for no other reason than a reaction to how poorly we are being led/performing at the moment, rather than being looked at as a potential benefit to the club longer term.

Edited by portobellojambo1

shaun.lawson
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

My impression of women’s football, certainly in Europe, is that it is very quickly trying to copy the men’s game in terms of the wealthier clubs creating closed shops. 

And luckily for them, they don’t have 100+ years of history to get over so they will probably manage it. 

Any thoughts of making it competitive and allowing the likes of Hearts to grow and compete is fanciful, I think. 

That's exactly right and is incredibly depressing. Just as much: the attitude of women's football pundits, constantly hyping it all up and refusing to question any of it. Said pundits laughably insist that the WSL is the "best league in the world" now - purely because of the amount of dosh the richest clubs are throwing at players. Funny, sounds familiar... :rolleyes:

Sadj is spot on about what was done to Donny Belles, which was utterly disgusting. And the same thing's happening on the continent. For example: Brescia were Italian Champions as recently as 2016. Two years later, AC Milan bought their membership of Serie A. Outright bought it. Bye bye Brescia. 

All the traditional club forces in the women's game are being wrecked. And this is actively celebrated by those who hail this 'progress' and 'competition'. It's awful.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
22 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Womens football is just as important as men's football in regards to mental wellbeing and giving women an opportunity to play for the club we grow up supporting. 

Not to mention the training and academy partnerships we link up with women's clubs across the city. 

Definitely not a vanity project as all of the girls are part time, all have other jobs within the community. 

3 of the 8 clubs in the women's prem are full time. All Glasgow based. 

Hibs are looking to go full time. 

To be honest I've had more enjoyment watching them last season getting promoted than I did watching us go down. 

What the girls need is investment. Saying its a waste of money from a man's point of view is like me saying your clowns for spend all your extra money on fut coins trying to get Messi on FIFA. 

Wonder why most of you are friend zoned........ and will never get laid.

Or you ignorant that women read and contribute onto threads also. 

Some of you probably have daughters wanting to be a footballer........

Post of the year 👏

...for me, I wish we were spending decent money and going full time. I was kinda hoping James Anderson was going to help the club really put our women's team up there. Hearts should have the best women's team in Scotland IMO and we have the facilities to support the best. Sadly, the results so far have been poor.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

That's exactly right and is incredibly depressing. Just as much: the attitude of women's football pundits, constantly hyping it all up and refusing to question any of it. Said pundits laughably insist that the WSL is the "best league in the world" now - purely because of the amount of dosh the richest clubs are throwing at players. Funny, sounds familiar... :rolleyes:

Sadj is spot on about what was done to Donny Belles, which was utterly disgusting. And the same thing's happening on the continent. For example: Brescia were Italian Champions as recently as 2016. Two years later, AC Milan bought their membership of Serie A. Outright bought it. Bye bye Brescia. 

All the traditional club forces in the women's game are being wrecked. And this is actively celebrated by those who hail this 'progress' and 'competition'. It's awful.

The women's game fully deserves to be hyped. The attention it is getting has meant that more and more girls can be seen playing football in our public parks. It's brilliant to see. And, the quality will only get better as a result. 

With regards to wealthier teams taking over smaller teams, I'm pretty sure we did exactly that to Musselburgh Windsor Ladies

Ex member of the SaS

No problem with woman's football as long as it doesn't impact on the first team ( that goes for the youth team too) . The first thing to get right, is a first team on the park, everything else comes second.

The problem with the woman's team has already been mentioned, Sevco and Celtic splashing the cash and buying the best players ( they have form for this ) no other team will stand a chance, and while that is no excuse for not trying, it does put spending large amounts into perspective. Get the men's first team winning and money rolls in allowing a little more for " vanity" projects. This includes the restaurant, new stand and women and youth teams and anything else you want to mention 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What a shameful thread. 

Our football club should only serve men. 

The gains far outweigh the expenditure 

Clutching at straws to criticise the club. £100k? We spent more than that on Craig Wighton.

Women's football is never going to draw in the financial benefits of the men's game, especially in Scotland. But what it does provide is a connection to the football club for a new demographic of supporters. Now young female Hearts fans can have that prospect of getting to play for the club they love growing up. This is one of these areas of the club where I'm not that bothered if we don't get financial benefits back. The difference it will make to some supports lives is worth more than money.

48 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The women's game fully deserves to be hyped. The attention it is getting has meant that more and more girls can be seen playing football in our public parks. It's brilliant to see. And, the quality will only get better as a result. 

With regards to wealthier teams taking over smaller teams, I'm pretty sure we did exactly that to Musselburgh Windsor Ladies

My lad went to Gothia Cup. The girls competitions running concurrently had some pretty decent teams, mainly Scandinavian and American probably reflecting the fact that they took it a lot more seriously at the time.