Vanity Projects

Sertse

In December 2018, Hearts owner Ann Budge announced at the Heart of Midlothian AGM a "six-figure investment year on year" into Hearts Women, alongside an expansion to their academy in order to integrate the women's team further into the club.

They just got beat 6-0 by Rangers women today.

They're bottom of their league with a single win. 

Their results this season include getting beat 5-0 by Glasgow City, Rangers 5-1 and an absolute disgrace of a result, 10-0 against septic. 

Considering the state of the club, why is she being allowed to dump money into a nicety so she can feel better for herself? 

What is having a women's team bringing to the club when a six figure amount is getting thrown at them and they're getting hammered all the time?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sertse

• Hesh

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• 3fingersreid

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike the mens team they were promoted last season so they've at least made progress of sorts. £100K is chicken feed to the money that's been wasted on and by Levein, Cathro and Neilson (twice).  It gives a pathway for Hearts minded girls to play for our club £100K a year is the least of our worries.

Team P W D L GD Pts
1   Rangers 8 7 0 1 27 21
2   Glasgow City 7 6 0 1 15 18
3   Celtic 7 5 1 1 19 16
4   Hibernian 8 3 1 4 3 10
5   Spartans 8 3 1 4 -1 10
6   Forfar Farmington 8 2 2 4 -8 8
7   Motherwell 8 1 1 6 -24 4
8   Hearts 8 1 0 7 -31 3

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Unlike the mens team they were promoted last season so they've at least made progress of sorts. £100K is chicken feed to the money that's been wasted on and by Levein, Cathro and Neilson (twice).  It gives a pathway for Hearts minded girls to play for our club £100K a year is the least of our worries.

I’m actually very supportive of it tbh.

glynnlondon
7 minutes ago, Sertse said:

In December 2018, Hearts owner Ann Budge announced at the Heart of Midlothian AGM a "six-figure investment year on year" into Hearts Women, alongside an expansion to their academy in order to integrate the women's team further into the club.

Their results this season include getting beat 5-0 by Glasgow City, Rangers 5-1 and an absolute disgrace of a result, 10-0 against septic. 

Considering the state of the club, why is she being allowed to dump money into a nicety so she can feel better for herself? 

What is having a women's team bringing to the club when a six figure amount is getting thrown at them and they're getting hammered all the time?

Following the achievements of the big team.

What a time to be alive

Gordon Ramsay
9 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Women's football is atrocious at the best of times. I shudder to think how bad our women's team is with results like that. 

Even Snoresons superstars could give them a game. 

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

They might be bottom of the league, but there are wider benefits from.the money spent.  

If we are going to have other projects encouraging girls to take part in sport is one of the better ones.  

Just now, Auldbenches said:

They might be bottom of the league, but there are wider benefits from.the money spent.  

If we are going to have other projects encouraging girls to take part in sport is one of the better ones.  

What does that bring to the club? Is it worth spending over 100k a year on (probably even more)?

Auldbenches
Just now, Sertse said:

What does that bring to the club? Is it worth spending over 100k a year on (probably even more)?

It doesn't bring a thing to the club, but that's not the point. 

Every club funds other projects and there is a lit of merit in this one. 

It'll not just be the women's first team that are participating in this, there will be scores of young girls and women enjoying this.

Plenty things to target, this is just frustration due to that wee shite not resigning.  

Utter roasters on this thread. Did anyone tell you it was 2021? You obviously have no idea about business, sport and financial opportunities. Thank god people like you will never have any part in running hearts. Total wasters 

Just now, Baxfee said:

Utter roasters on this thread. Did anyone tell you it was 2021? You obviously have no idea about business, sport and financial opportunities. Thank god people like you will never have any part in running hearts. Total wasters 

Go on then, make a coherent argument or away and go dry your eyes

Im all for the woman having a team, not interested in woman's football myself but they should be allowed the opportunity to play. However it should be self funded. When I pay my FoH and ST money the last thing I think about is women's football.

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Agreed - embarrassment of a thread.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Im all for the woman having a team, not interested in woman's football myself but they should be allowed the opportunity to play. However it should be self funded. When I pay my FoH and ST money the last thing I think about is women's football.

Top level women’s football is actually pretty decently. I just think of it as a spectacle in its own right rather than comparing it to the men’s game.

Stendelnator

Rangers are a professional team. Our squad is made up of teenagers and girls working in shops. If we had the investment Rangers did it wouldn’t be the way it was. I see no harm in us having a women’s team. 

You’d rather the men’s team was given even MORE money to spend on players with the signings we’ve made?

weegie jambo

The money spent on the women's team  is chicken feed. A progressive club of our size should have a women's team, not just for the social benefits and integration of the better sex in the game but to be in line with modern society. Our women's team is new to the top league and many years behind the old firm and Glasgow City in terms of development. To pour scorn on their results shows lack of support and understanding of where we are in the grand scale of things. The underlying misogyny in some of the comments does our support no favours.

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Go on then, make a coherent argument or away and go dry your eyes

Woman's football is taking off.

We argue Hearts are 3rd biggest club in Scotland. It would be a huge detriment  to our name, not  to to be encouraging  the woman's game.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Just now, Stendelnator said:

Rangers are a professional team. Our squad is made up of teenagers and girls working in shops. If we had the investment Rangers did it wouldn’t be the way it was. I see no harm in us having a women’s team. 

You’d rather the men’s team was given even MORE money to spend on players with the signings we’ve made?

Yes

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Woman's football is taking off.

We argue Hearts are 3rd biggest club in Scotland. It would be a huge detriment  to our name to to be encouraging  the woman's game.

It really would. Same as Man Utd not bothering for ages. It’s a small investment in the grand scheme 

Womens football is just as important as men's football in regards to mental wellbeing and giving women an opportunity to play for the club we grow up supporting. 

Not to mention the training and academy partnerships we link up with women's clubs across the city. 

Definitely not a vanity project as all of the girls are part time, all have other jobs within the community. 

3 of the 8 clubs in the women's prem are full time. All Glasgow based. 

Hibs are looking to go full time. 

To be honest I've had more enjoyment watching them last season getting promoted than I did watching us go down. 

What the girls need is investment. Saying its a waste of money from a man's point of view is like me saying your clowns for spend all your extra money on fut coins trying to get Messi on FIFA. 

Wonder why most of you are friend zoned........ and will never get laid.

Or you ignorant that women read and contribute onto threads also. 

Some of you probably have daughters wanting to be a footballer........

Voice of reason

What a shocking thread. Absolutely the right thing to do to put money into women’s football. Massive growth area and a sizeable percentage of our support are female and will play. Some genuine dinosaurs on here.

As for the result today, that was to be expected. Rangers are a full time professional team against amateurs/teenagers in the Hearts team. If we want to get closer we need to invest MORE money, not give up and invest less. Really enjoyed the Hearts performance today, particularly in the second half. Well done Andy Kirk. 

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Top level women’s football is actually pretty decently. I just think of it as a spectacle in its own right rather than comparing it to the men’s game.

One of my younger cousins was on Hearts girls books for a while, not quite sure what happened, maybe she wasn't good enough but she loves playing and would run rings round me 😂

2 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Womens football is just as important as men's football in regards to mental wellbeing and giving women an opportunity to play for the club we grow up supporting. 

Not to mention the training and academy partnerships we link up with women's clubs across the city. 

Definitely not a vanity project as all of the girls are part time, all have other jobs within the community. 

3 of the 8 clubs in the women's prem are full time. All Glasgow based. 

Hibs are looking to go full time. 

To be honest I've had more enjoyment watching them last season getting promoted than I did watching us go down. 

What the girls need is investment. Saying its a waste of money from a man's point of view is like me saying your clowns for spend all your extra money on fut coins trying to get Messi on FIFA. 

Wonder why most of you are friend zoned........ and will never get laid.

Or you ignorant that women read and contribute onto threads also. 

Some of you probably have daughters wanting to be a footballer........

Grow up 

11 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Spot on 

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Fair point, except goalkeepers, goalkeepers are brutal

Pasquale for King

We could’ve got another Frear/Popescu/Roberts for that £100k. 
I would double their budget to be honest, it might make the manager of the men’s team have to bring though a youth prospect instead. 

2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Grow up 

Your thread is an Absloute car crash and you should be ashamed of yourself. 

The fact people are not agreeing with you should show you that you are in the tiny minority of clowns who have this mindset. 

Thankfully its only a select few. Thank you for being so special. X

Just now, Restonbabe said:

Your thread is an Absloute car crash and you should be ashamed of yourself. 

The fact people are not agreeing with you should show you that you are in the tiny minority of clowns who have this mindset. 

Thankfully its only a select few. Thank you for being so special. X

Can you actually make a coherent argument or are you just going to try and insult everyone you don't agree with? 

Just now, Sertse said:

Can you actually make a coherent argument or are you just going to try and insult everyone you don't agree with? 

Clearly you cannot read........ 

23 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Spent over a million a year on the Academy. 

JamboAndrew

I'm all for this. Look at the money that goes into any men's team vs any women's team.

I have a daughter, and if she wants to play football and gets to represent hearts I'll be a very happy man. All teams should put money into the womans game.

Given the state of many things at the club, I think 100k into the women's team is not an issue to be concerned about.

An academy that doesn't produce year on year. A team that dont look like they give a damn. A manager who has lost the fans and the players. And a chairwoman who has lost the fans. And one of the most atrocious signing policies I can see of any club for about 10 years and counting. Those are my priorities.

Glamorgan Jambo

We should be more than capable of running a women’s team and having a first team that knows how to score goals and defend.

Believe me our problems are nothing to do with the diversion of a tiny level of resource to the women’s team.

6 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Clearly you cannot read........ 

Saying guys spend money on fifa has absolutely nothing to do with the question posed. Then saying people are incels for not agreeing with you. Then call the thread a car crash because you don't agree with it.

None of these arguments on why we should spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a womens team which earns us nothing.

Rangers, Glasgow City and Celtic Women all get millions and millions of pounds put into their squads, Hibs get hundreds of thousands and have done for a long time.

Many of their players are either full time or get a healthy amount of money playing for their club. 

Our squad is an incredibly new team, years old, with some level of investment but not a lot. With us being relegated, costs were cut and people behind the scenes moved on.

Hearts went up expecting to come straight back down due to the complete mismatch in finances at the top of the league and the longevity of teams at the bottom of the league.

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Saying guys spend money on fifa has absolutely nothing to do with the question posed. Then saying people are incels for not agreeing with you. Then call the thread a car crash because you don't agree with it.

None of these arguments on why we should spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a womens team which earns us nothing.

This thread is way beyond a car crash - a number are having a complete shitshow and embarassing themselves.

SomethingAboutObua

The women's team is getting hammered by Rangers because Rangers and Celtic are putting ridiculous investment in their teams, within a matter of a couple of years they've already deposed Spartans, Hibs and the ridiculous Glasgow City.  Rangers just casually offered our head of womens football a lot more money to get him to join, no back and forth negotiations with how much they're investing. Everyone else in the league is established as a women's team, basically the relegation spot is for whoever was most recently promoted. 

Do people think the Lothians is just 700,000 men? Half of that number is women, why should only wee boys get to grow up and play for Hearts? Plenty of wee girls support the team so I'm glad they can hope to play for us, and there's quite a few women in the team that were season ticket holders when they were young.

We put hardly anything into the women's team, it's a community initiative, we dumped Andy Kirk to them instead of finding Kirk a roll in the men's and finding a women's football coach for them. ****ing hell there's so much wrong with how Hearts are run, the women's team is no where near one of the main issues. 

Niemi’s gloves

A few points on the positive side:

* In fact it could have been a lot worse than 6-0 given it was 5-0 at half time

* The Hearts women’s team may have only won one game out of 8 but at least that was against Hibs who were until recently a force in the Scottish women’s game, whereas we have only just made the top level. 

* Forfar Farmington may sound like “a made up name” but they have been around as a serious women’s side for a lot longer than we have. For those that remember our (men’s) league cup tie at Forfar in August 2015, you may have observed before the game, the impressively  large numbers of girls participating in training on the pitches nearby. It takes time to build up solid roots.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Complaining about the women's team is absolutely the wrong hill to die on over the mess the club is in by the way. 

7 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Complaining about the women's team is absolutely the wrong hill to die on over the mess the club is in by the way. 

I'm not against a women's team in general, I'm just questioning the value of putting hundreds of thousands of pounds into it. 

been here before
12 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

The wrong hill to die on?

Its wummins football, not the 'nam.

Hearts turnover is well over £10m and we spend less than 1% of it on woman's football and people are upset about it.

What next, we should get rid of Big Hearts as it doesn't help with the product on the pitch.

I think given the millions wasted by the men’s team £100k doesn’t seem like loads. 

We are a business and there needs to be a degree of profitability in what we do. If the women’s team is failing to break even year on year then it’s maybe worth having a conversation about it.

I do think it’s worth doing from a social standpoint.

Pros and cons to it, if your wee lassie wants to play football or gets a positive role model from it then I think that’s pretty cool. 

This season is about trying to develop players as their is no relegation this season due to the top level being expanded next season.

I watch a lot of girls football as my daughter plays at a decent level, and it's certainly more entertaining that what Neilson has given us recently.

It's only right as we have a women's team and hopefully with the girls at the Academy getting the same training as the boys, we will be more competitive in the not so distant future.

We also need to remember that teams such as Forfar Farmington have been established for 30+ year's.

If the OP done some research he wouldn't sound like a misogynistic.

2 minutes ago, keifrb said:

This season is about trying to develop players as their is no relegation this season due to the top level being expanded next season.

I watch a lot of girls football as my daughter plays at a decent level, and it's certainly more entertaining that what Neilson has given us recently.

It's only right as we have a women's team and hopefully with the girls at the Academy getting the same training as the boys, we will be more competitive in the not so distant future.

We also need to remember that teams such as Forfar Farmington have been established for 30+ year's.

If the OP done some research he wouldn't sound like a misogynistic.

I'm a misogynist for questioning why we spend hundreds of thousands on something which gives us nothing back when the club is in the state it's in, right then😂