Right then, Next Manager?

Hood09

Bunny Munro

Alex Neil has to the the first port of call. Budge should have asked Savage to feel him out already.

I'd love Stendel back but when was appointed the first time he said one of the major reasons was he felt he could 'trust' the hearts board. The hearts board then shat on him.

McInnes, Robinson et Al don't fill be with confidence.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Paolo

22games nro

She won’t get rid, she will pass it off as a shock cup exit and mention about winning the league at a so called canter.

‘completely ignoring the fact it’s because our closest rivals seem to shot themselves in the foot every other week and the style of football we are playing week in,week out would turn even the most ardent of football fans off the game !

fabienleclerq
3 minutes ago, rmreido said:

What's George Burley up to?????

He thought lockdown was a lock in, been in the western for a year. 

22games nro
1 minute ago, Bunny Munro said:

Alex Neil has to the the first port of call. Budge should have asked Savage to feel him out already.

I'd love Stendel back but when was appointed the first time he said one of the major reasons was he felt he could 'trust' the hearts board. The hearts board then shat on him.

McInnes, Robinson et Al don't fill be with confidence.

Correct, she never even had the decency to tell him directly he was being replaced, watching that part of the documentary opened my eyes to her and the way she works, it was an utter disgrace he found out from someone else rather than from her  and her excuse is she did try to contact him but he wasn’t available is almost laughable.

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

McInnes is out of work so an obvious candidate. Not sure about style of football but probably best option available to us. 

I really don't see a difference between the 3 (Levein, Neilson, McInnes). It sounded like the Aberdeen fans were about ready to chuck it with how bad the football was. He's also a serial choke merchant in important games. 

Neil absolutely may not be the best choice, but I don't think I can get on board with Derek McInnes either. 

I do want Neilson out of the club immediately though. The idea of Kirk taking the team to the end of the season doesn't fill me with dread. It could also be an extended trial to see if he might be the answer. Neilson in his first season with us was immense, so perhaps Kirk might show something. He may also lean more on youth which I could get behind quite happily.

Stephen Robinson is another option. Did pretty well with Motherwell before the wheels came off, also worked with a lot of young players too. 

I think our next appointment needs to be in line with the vision we have for the club. Where do we want to get to? Personally believe that youth development is the way we need to go. Its the only way to generate the sort of money needed to support growth. Derek McInnes doesn't strike me as the sort to bother much with youth. 

Central Belt 1874

Someone to see out the season, say Naismith. 

Budge to step aside. 

New appointment made by board members not involved in Cathro/Levein/Neilson appointments.

Spend as much money as we can on new manager. Let them overhaul the football club from end of season.

Give fans hope. 

Edited by Central Belt 1874

1 hour ago, feej said:

Budge will be on the phone to levein now asking him what she should do

17 minutes ago, Raymond Reddington said:

Jim Goodwin, did a good job at alloa and has done a good job at St liedown. Beaten celtic (at parkhead) as well as rangers this season. Is playing youngers and appears to be improving them. 

Levein would recommend Goodwin who he described recently as "the best young manager in Scotland" - which I thought was a bit of a dig at Robbie.

He's doing very well at St Mirren but still, he is Jim Goodwin! Couldn't stand him as a player. On the plus side it would upset Tony Fitzpatrick and the Saints fans.

Edited by gnasher75

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

He thought lockdown was a lock in, been in the western for a year. 

You've got to love George's style, certainly one of our best ever managers for performances and results 

Can't even be arsed with this discussion right now. We could sack Neilson tomorrow, and replace him with anyone named in this thread and you wouldn't see an improvement this season.

There is something fundamentally wrong at this football club, and there's definitely rotten apples in the squad. Big changes are required. I still feel inclined to believe Neilson can make it right, but after tonight, I can't defend him one bit. A huge reaction is required between now and the end of the season, but still, I expect big changes in the summer.

In the words of Edwyn Collins, rip it up and start again.

SomethingAboutObua
7 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

8 Euro qualifications in a row and regular top 4 finishers, aye, just like Robbie.............

But how many of those are in a league season without Rangers, and hes not taken them to a group stage. Suppose it depends on if you want to see us being immediately back in the top 3/4 no matter the football or if you want the team to take time and rebuild to be more exciting top to bottom. For me I'm happy to take a couple of years in 6th if it brings back exciting viewing, not sure if I'd be that fussed on watching us play for 3rd if it's more dull 1-0 wins and draws. But that's just my opinion and accept that some people would rather we were higher up first then looked to build something from a couple years time. 

Work out the person spec for the role, advertise and appoint someone, but do it in the standard timescale and keep Budge out of it

9 minutes ago, 22games nro said:

She won’t get rid, she will pass it off as a shock cup exit and mention about winning the league at a so called canter.

‘completely ignoring the fact it’s because our closest rivals seem to shot themselves in the foot every other week and the style of football we are playing week in,week out would turn even the most ardent of football fans off the game !

Got it in one.

fabienleclerq
3 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

You've got to love George's style, certainly one of our best ever managers for performances and results 

98 aside my best time following hearts. 

Just checked the Championship table to try to find out why Alex Neil left Preston. 16th in the table. A run of defeats. The Savage connection might make it more realistic but not sure he's the right man for the job.

If Celtic don't go for Steve Clarke, could he be persuaded? Or does his contract with the SFA make it impossible?

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

But how many of those are in a league season without Rangers, and hes not taken them to a group stage. Suppose it depends on if you want to see us being immediately back in the top 3/4 no matter the football or if you want the team to take time and rebuild to be more exciting top to bottom. For me I'm happy to take a couple of years in 6th if it brings back exciting viewing, not sure if I'd be that fussed on watching us play for 3rd if it's more dull 1-0 wins and draws. But that's just my opinion and accept that some people would rather we were higher up first then looked to build something from a couple years time. 

I'll take Europe 8 seasons in a row and top 3/4 finishes compared to where we are now, which is absolutely light years away from that.  Are you seriously suggesting we can attract someone with the potential to do better? Alex Neil perhaps but he's hardly been setting the heather of fire, Steve Robinson is a bit of a risk.

17 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

Bring Sergio back.  Give him a chance to build squad. I suppose no chance.

No chance he is doing wonders with Portimonense down in the algarve. 

He and locke were the last decent combination of coaches we have had. 

6 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Just checked the Championship table to try to find out why Alex Neil left Preston. 16th in the table. A run of defeats. The Savage connection might make it more realistic but not sure he's the right man for the job.

If Celtic don't go for Steve Clarke, could he be persuaded? Or does his contract with the SFA make it impossible?

Steve Clarke isn't the man either. 

We need to aim bigger. Surley the attraction of building this football club from the foundation up would inspire the likes of the elite. 

For them it's not about the money now. So an old guard like a Benítez, Sarri.

Or am dreaming?? 

Can't we attract the best European coaching tallent their is to offer?? 

SomethingAboutObua
3 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Are you seriously suggesting we can attract someone with the potential to do better? Alex Neil perhaps but he's hardly been setting the heather of fire, Steve Robinson is a bit of a risk.

Again though I think that comes down to different opinions of where we want tbe club to be in 2 years. I wouldn't have known about Stendel 6 months before we hired him, but I think there will be someone like that out there that we could get ie decent quality/record but this time with 2 years to get the team how he wants it playing exciting football.  To get someone that could get us to 4th next year, then probably McInnes is the most achievable but he was on around 600-700k at Aberdeen wasnt he? 

Neil's a bit of a risk but then again, he got Hamilton into the top 4/5 for half a season until he left. Unfortunately the top flight here is smaller and of a similar to lower quality than the top half of the English champ. I think he could be a really important manager for us. 

Robinson I think needs the rolling Motherwell 3 year plan of rebuild and give youth a chance, have a solid season, play well and challenge for 3rd, then sell everyone on and repeat. Don't think Hearts fans would accept that as the way the club is run so readily. 

AlphonseCapone

Not sure where the clamour for Alex Neil is coming from. Doesn't matter who we get in, Budge needs to go first. 

There is no need to rush this appointment, for once time is on our side.

Neil and McInnes should not be automatic candidates just because of connection with Savage or because McInnes is available, same goes with ex players/managers.

A criteria should get set out...

Style of play

Willingness to blood youngsters.

Ability to improve players.

Ability/willingness to work within our budget.

An understanding that we are the 3rd biggest team in the country and pressure and expectation will come with that (or it should), failure to get 3rd, and good cup runs and questions will be asked.

Etc etc.

See who applys/is available then once we find candidates who we think tick the above, then you proceed with interviews.

Old pals acts rarely work.

Edited by Gambo

been here before

Robertson and Locke with JJ floating around in the background.

Wouldnt mind seeing Allan Johnston involved somewhere.

Failing that Tommy Wright or Mark McGhee but 100% not McInnes.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Robertson and Locke with JJ floating around in the background.

Wouldnt mind seeing Allan Johnston involved somewhere.

Failing that Tommy Wright or Mark McGhee but 100% not McInnes.

Where to start.....

Robbo is out of commission at ICT and having a club legend as manager is an idea I’m not a fan of anymore. Locke was hopeless as a manager which is why he’s now working as an club ambassador in his 40’s. JJ is older than god and given his previous health issues I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Allan Johnston.....just no.

Tommy Wright 😂

Mark McGhee 😂

1 hour ago, JDK2020 said:

McInnes? FFS, what drugs you on?

Eh. 3rd pretty much every year at Aberdeen. What is peoples problem with Mcinnes?

7 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Stuck with Robbie.

And the stands (when we are allowed back) will be half empty and like a wake.  

SomethingAboutObua

Please no ex Hearts players. The whole proper Hearts men chat got us Neilson twice and Levein for far too long.

Tommy Wright or Mark McGhee is a joke suggestion surely.

Robinson unsure, preferred option for me is Alex Neil but I'd be really happy if we took our time this time and found another Stendel type. Give them 2 years to change and instill a new club way of playing and ethos. Bin the academy director and get someone capable in to follow the ethos/style a bit and have youth ready to step up in 2 years time. 

Then have a team that just needs a similar type of manager instead of us rebuilding every transfer window. 

2 minutes ago, jager man said:

Eh. 3rd pretty much every year at Aberdeen. What is peoples problem with Mcinnes?

He doesn't inspire me. He did well for a few seasons with Aberdeen but then started going backwards. Their fans came to view him very much like us with Robbie - he does OK and gets reasonable results but the football isn't good to watch, recruitment is poor and with the budget he has, he should be doing much better. McInnes should have taken the Rangers job when he had the chance. They were always going to improve and overtake Aberdeen so it was a bad career move staying put. Not sure he would have the passion and drive to take the Hearts job. Feels a bit soon to me for him to return to management.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm tired of changing managers so I'll agree to disagree. In the same way as he wasn't Mourinho when we beat Hibs and took Celtic close, he's not Cathro when we have a result at the other end of the spectrum. I'd be more inclined jus to ignore the Robbie outers or let them rant without comment if they hadn't been calling for his head from pretty much the moment he was appointed, while also cheerleading for a manager who got us demoted.

2 hours ago, Heartbeat said:

If he doesn't have the baws to walk away now we need to convince him. 

If you listen to amateur commentators from smaller clubs in recent weeks they suss is out right away but this erse continues with the toppy tappy backwards sideways fitba.

Never hated Robbie but thought it strange we brought him back. I now really dislike him he has no passion apart from being a smart erse on the sidelines. I cannot believe he just oversaw that debacle and wont walk.

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Miss you Craig. 

2 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

McInnes? FFS, what drugs you on?

4 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

He doesn't inspire me. He did well for a few seasons with Aberdeen but then started going backwards. Their fans came to view him very much like us with Robbie - he does OK and gets reasonable results but the football isn't good to watch, recruitment is poor and with the budget he has, he should be doing much better. McInnes should have taken the Rangers job when he had the chance. They were always going to improve and overtake Aberdeen so it was a bad career move staying put. Not sure he would have the passion and drive to take the Hearts job. Feels a bit soon to me for him to return to management.

Alex neil 

Would be a solid appointment, knows savage and has just become available. If savage has any say, he will likely recommend him to the board.

I reckon Frank lampard might be a good fit, done a great job at derby  was also good first season at chelsea too, likes to work with youth too, but its probably a stretch, not sure what he would want in wages, and resources for players.

Wouldn't mind trying the foreigner route again though, would take Paulo back but i think he is in a job.

35 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Where to start.....

Robbo is out of commission at ICT and having a club legend as manager is an idea I’m not a fan of anymore. Locke was hopeless as a manager which is why he’s now working as an club ambassador in his 40’s. JJ is older than god and given his previous health issues I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Allan Johnston.....just no.

Tommy Wright 😂

Mark McGhee 😂

I dont think he was being serious......

29 minutes ago, jager man said:

He finished 3rd with Aberdeen once. 

Neil preferably. McInnes if he still has the heart for a challenge. Stendel but it would need to be right now plus a complete rebuild and probably too expensive. I’d even take Robbo things are that bad. Robbo and Locke ? At least we’d be in no doubt we’d see a properly motivated Hearts team on the pitch. Has to be someone who commands immediate respect. I don’t think we’ve had that in a manager since JJ came back.

And one combination i’m only half joking about. Sean Maloney and Scott Brown.

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

should have stuck with Stendal he would have came good given time and a proper window to bring players in the football  has been shit for months and always a ****ing excuse :rifle:

Got to agree wattie, I was in the camp of right manager at the wrong time. I'd love him to have a full pre season and start again. He'd know the score so much better this time around and there's no doubt it was entertaining going forward plus we now have Gordon in goals. Would love it sadly it will never happen as it does sound a bit insane I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Neil preferably. McInnes if he still has the heart for a challenge. Stendel but it would need to be right now plus a complete rebuild and probably too expensive. I’d even take Robbo things are that bad. Robbo and Locke ? At least we’d be in no doubt we’d see a properly motivated Hearts team on the pitch. Has to be someone who commands immediate respect. I don’t think we’ve had that in a manager since JJ came back.

I agree with every word of that.  We would not be getting knocked out of cups by Alloa and Brora if Robbo and Locke were running the show.

13 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

He finished 3rd with Aberdeen once. 

Sorry 3rd once 2nd 4 times and 4th 2 times (once on goal difference). Thats sounds pretty good to me.

wattie exploited
13 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Got to agree wattie, I was in the camp of right manager at the wrong time. I'd love him to have a full pre season and start again. He'd know the score so much better this time around and there's no doubt it was entertaining going forward plus we now have Gordon in goals. Would love it sadly it will never happen as it does sound a bit insane I suppose. 

got the same believe mate it will never happen but it would :rifle:y be a massive improvement on this clown RN 

53 minutes ago, jager man said:

He’s a weegie. 

Graham Thomson
2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Alex Neil... the phrase gift horse and mouth springs to mind!!

Exactly 👍 perfect timing. 

2 hours ago, Raymond Reddington said:

Jim Goodwin, did a good job at alloa and has done a good job at St liedown. Beaten celtic (at parkhead) as well as rangers this season. Is playing youngers and appears to be improving them. 

I don't think that would go down well with some but IMO he should be a strong contender.