Pizza ovens

graygo

15 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Yeah that’s what I do, but my oven only goes to 275 so not as warm as a pizza oven.

A baking tray wouldn't survive the heat of a pizza oven, it's the reason cast iron skillets are used.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• milky_26

• allyby

• Bozi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Brightside
16 minutes ago, graygo said:

A baking tray wouldn't survive the heat of a pizza oven, it's the reason cast iron skillets are used.

I don’t use a baking tray. I use a peel to put the pizza onto a pizza stone. Sometimes tricky to get it off the peel but easy enough to get out the oven again.

mrmarkus1981

Reading through this thread and my doorbell rings. Amazon delivery of a 12x15" pizza stone. Love a drunk purchase me!!!!

On 20/03/2021 at 10:45, AlimOzturk said:

Does the pizza taste superior on this than it does in a conventional over? How fast does it cook the pizzas? 

thanks. 

Sorry, just seen your post now. Yep, it goes to 375°C, same as the big commercial ovens do, cooks a pizza in about four minutes. 

Psychedelicropcircle
On 19/03/2021 at 21:40, graygo said:

No, it is something I'll be getting into but didn't want disheartened straight away so I bought some frozen doughballs from Ooni which I must say are bloody good.

Tipo 00 (zero) flour! I have a stone one in the garden & was a little sceptical against these ooni ovens, whilst doing the NC500 a lad at the roadside in a horse box was doing pizzas in an ooni oven, it was lush👌

is it gas or pellets?

4 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

I don’t use a baking tray. I use a peel to put the pizza onto a pizza stone. Sometimes tricky to get it off the peel but easy enough to get out the oven again.

Sorry, I got confused at the new page and thought it was @highland jambo I was replying to.

58 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Sorry, just seen your post now. Yep, it goes to 375°C, same as the big commercial ovens do, cooks a pizza in about four minutes. 

The Ooni Koda 16 goes to 500°c and can cook a pizza in 60 seconds.

24 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Tipo 00 (zero) flour! I have a stone one in the garden & was a little sceptical against these ooni ovens, whilst doing the NC500 a lad at the roadside in a horse box was doing pizzas in an ooni oven, it was lush👌

is it gas or pellets?

Mine is gas, there's enough faffing about with a pizza that needs turned every 20 seconds without having to feed pellets in the back.

Bought the Karu a few months ago for just over £200 a week later the price went up to near on £300 so was pretty delighted. 

Only used it a couple of times so far but results have been good on the basic Ooni pizza dough recipe. 

However, I do struggle with stretching the dough properly.

I've only used kindling as a fuel thus far and you need to feed it fairly regularly. Will try a mix of charcoal and kindling next time. 

It does get quite sooty inside and wee bits of ash float about. My stone will never be clean again. 

15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Would you go for the gas option in retrospect?

I went with the Karu as it allows both hard fuel and gas. 

In my head if I'm going to the effort of making pizzas properly and wanting the wood-fired  taste and experience using gas is a bit of a kop out and I'm not sure if the lack of smoke would effect it? 

I don't have a gas burner for it though, however, that may change as it does seem easier, not that wood is difficult but you do need to keep on top of it.  

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

This all sounds like a lot of hassle.

After a few goes, it’s actually pretty straightforward. I did some today...

Started the dough in the morning, 00 caputo flour, salt, yeast and water. Took 10 mins. After a few hours split the dough into four and left it in a proving tray. I’ve been using a poolish recently but you need to do that a day in advance. 

Started the Ooni (I have the gas and wood pellet option but gas is easier to regulate the temperature). During the 20 mins for it to heat up, make the tomato sauce. Tin of San Marzanos, three tablespoons of olive oil,

teaspoon of salt and pulse in a blender. 

After that, stretch the dough and onto a wooden peel with semolina on the base to stop it sticking, sauce and toppings on and in the oven for a couple of minutes. Metal peel to move it around and take it out. Like I said, a few goes and it comes natural and the pizza tastes as good as you get in Italy. It’s the country I’ve visited most and while I’ve had better than my own pizza there, I’ve also had much worse!

fabienleclerq

I've got the smaller koda, been watching what I eat so not used it as much as I wouldve liked! 

I think my stretching technique needs some work but it's class when you get it right. 

R. E gas v wood, I think if the pizza is cooking in 90 seconds or whatever then it doesn't really make a difference other than gas saved you time. I've used wood fired ovens but prefer the gas tbh. 

47 minutes ago, Zico said:

After a few goes, it’s actually pretty straightforward. I did some today...

Started the dough in the morning, 00 caputo flour, salt, yeast and water. Took 10 mins. After a few hours split the dough into four and left it in a proving tray. I’ve been using a poolish recently but you need to do that a day in advance. 

Started the Ooni (I have the gas and wood pellet option but gas is easier to regulate the temperature). During the 20 mins for it to heat up, make the tomato sauce. Tin of San Marzanos, three tablespoons of olive oil,

teaspoon of salt and pulse in a blender. 

After that, stretch the dough and onto a wooden peel with semolina on the base to stop it sticking, sauce and toppings on and in the oven for a couple of minutes. Metal peel to move it around and take it out. Like I said, a few goes and it comes natural and the pizza tastes as good as you get in Italy. It’s the country I’ve visited most and while I’ve had better than my own pizza there, I’ve also had much worse!

Just so I've got this right in my own head...this was a post written to show how effortless it actually is?

I don't think this pizza oven game is for me.

29 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Just so I've got this right in my own head...this was a post written to show how effortless it actually is?

I don't think this pizza oven game is for me.

😂 fair enough. It seems easy when you know what you’re doing anyway!

I had the original Uuni 3....then upgraded last year to the Koda 16...great bit of kit

Pizza dough making is the business, not too hard and totally satisfying when you churn out a dozen and see the neighbours scoffing them, genuinely one of the nest tasting pizzas ever [only beaten by an Italian place in the US we went to]

Not cheap ovens but we done burgers in it last night as well, will never put a steak on the grill again...Ooni oven blasts it to sear it brilliantly

Lots of videos on you tube and forums for making the dough, hundreds of different ways....made a "Poolish" dough starter for the first time last week and the crusts were amazing

Yesterday cook on the Ooni Koda.

1st Chicken, mushroom, sundried tomatoes and onion.

And 2nd Garlic base, chicken and mushroom.

piz1.JPG

piz2.JPG

Edited by allyby

Hagar the Horrible

I have made my own pizza's for years.  the trick is the dough.  to make 1Kg dough use 800g 00tipo and 200g Semolina flour some olive oil salt pepper and about 7g yeast, the dried stuff is ok but you can get fresh from Morisons.  Dont over work it. prove for about 2 hours, split in half and freeze the rest for another day

For the tomato sause a tin of tomatos is enough, some fresh chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper, twice as much as you think.  But cook out the sauce it stops it being bitter

I had a portable pizza oven but it was hard to keep it hot enough, so used the stone in the oven, comes out great

When making the pizza use less dough than you think, and roll it out on a wooden peel the same size as the stone, as thin as you can get on a bed of the semolina flour for ease of slipping it off the peel onto the stone.  Make the base as thin as it will go, fork it all over to stop it rising, plenty of the sause leving 1cm around the edge, but dont go too mad with the toppings, the mozzeralla thats pre grated does not need to be over done, as its spreads and add a bit of the buffalo mozzerella as well, use what ever toppings but less is more.  Keep checking its cooked underneath by using the metal peel and enjoy.

sorry if its sucking eggs but I prefer mine to dominos, but some of the stone based takeaways are better as a bigger oven.  Going to build a pizza oven outdoors

For all the pizza fans I came across a nice little series on iPlayer called Pizza Boys. It follows two young lads from Wales as they drive around Europe in their little mobile pizza van as they prepare for entering the pizza world championships. 

Harry Potter
On 21/03/2021 at 19:33, Sooperstar said:

This all sounds like a lot of hassle.

A lot of faff as they say, got enough cooking units, gas cooker, slow cooker, george foreman grill, 

but fair dos to the folk making them.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

For all the pizza fans I came across a nice little series on iPlayer called Pizza Boys. It follows two young lads from Wales as they drive around Europe in their little mobile pizza van as they prepare for entering the pizza world championships. 

It was on the beeb last night, my pizzas look better than theirs.  😄

Never seen the value on these Oonis, I'm a pizza lover but would only make about once a year, stick to Papa John's as a treat.

Also surely part of the fun is the cooking part, if its done and dusted in a minute wheres the time to hover around it with a beer in hand feeling all macho?

Its a local business however so good to see them doing well.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

We're going to get an Ooni this summer so this thread has been helpful. Slightly concerned at the amount the accessories are going to cost, but thankfully it's not me paying for it entirely. 

Mr Brightside
20 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Never seen the value on these Oonis, I'm a pizza lover but would only make about once a year, stick to Papa John's as a treat.

Also surely part of the fun is the cooking part, if its done and dusted in a minute wheres the time to hover around it with a beer in hand feeling all macho?

Takes time to roll out the base and prepare the pizza have a beer then. A wood fired oven takes about 90s a pizza to cook.

manaliveits105

CEO of company here on radio this morning saying he had goods stuck on the Evergreen in the Suez Canal 

mostly PIZZA OVENS  which he says sales of have boomed in last year :peepwall:

On 24/03/2021 at 23:21, Jambo92 said:

It takes days to make a pizza in the Ooni, couple of minutes to cook it right enough. The beer drinking comes into play while you wait for the stone to get back up to temperature.

3 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

It takes days to make a pizza in the Ooni, couple of minutes to cook it right enough. The beer drinking comes into play while you wait for the stone to get back up to temperature.

i started my dough yesterday, it will have finished proving on wednesday

23 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i started my dough yesterday, it will have finished proving on wednesday

I've tried all those long prooves, I find that at 24 hrs Room Temperature works best for me.

3 minutes ago, allyby said:

I've tried all those long prooves, I find that at 24 hrs Room Temperature works best for me.

the dough felt right before it went in the fridge. i'll see how it works and if it has worked well i will have another 3 bases that will go in the freezer

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the dough felt right before it went in the fridge. i'll see how it works and if it has worked well i will have another 3 bases that will go in the freezer

👗:thumbsup:

Just now, allyby said:

👗:thumbsup:

i used the ooni cold proof recipe, one thing i did not realise is that for a cold proof you use less yeast

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i used the ooni cold proof recipe, one thing i did not realise is that for a cold proof you use less yeast

Do you have the Pizzapp or the Ooni app?

Edited by allyby

This is the one you want guys...honestly, follow this...

I had never done a Poolish recipe before, just done this a couple of times now and wont change it,....the crusts are great, best pizzas ever

done 12 last week for family and neighbours

Edited by moz

11 minutes ago, allyby said:

Do you have the Pizzapp or the Ooni app?

no, i got the recipe from the ooni website. i'll have a look at both of those apps

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

no, i got the recipe from the ooni website. i'll have a look at both of those apps

You just tell it how many dough balls you want and what weight of dough ball, it will tell you how much flour, water, yeast, and salt you need, if you're using dried yeast use the setting IDY, best hydration I use is 62%

Edited by allyby

2 hours ago, moz said:

I had never done a Poolish recipe before, just done this a couple of times now and wont change it,....the crusts are great, best pizzas ever

Another vote for poolish. This is the one I use. https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough/easy-poolish-pizza-dough-recipe-neapolitan-poolish-pizza/

3 hours ago, moz said:

This guy loves his pizza so much I hope he never makes a calzone, otherwise he might end up in an American Pie situation before he eats it.

Worthing Jambo
8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Pizza oven owners

have something to prove 

get the T-shirt’s made 

thank me later 

GET YOUR PIZZA OVEN OUt

• 2 weeks later...

was round at a friends last night and they have a wood fired pizza oven. not an ooni one as they got it as a gift rather than chosing it. it worked well and made very good pizzas. i made the dough using the ooni cold prove recipe and people prefered it to the shop bought dough

On 29/03/2021 at 15:20, moz said:

Cheers, will try that next time we get it out. 

On 29/03/2021 at 19:03, jackal said:

10% discount on Ooni just now. Use code upgrade10.

Tried it and doesn't work for me. Tried UPGRADE10, Upgrade10 and upgrade10.