Pizza ovens

graygo

Took the plunge this week and bought an Ooni Koda 16 pizza oven to supplement my Perfect Draft beer dispenser.

Got to say that the pizzas are superb, can't see me ever having a shop bought pizza again.

Anybody got one or thinking about getting one?

My first effort was a simple half and half affair but looking forward to getting into trying different toppings.

IMG_20210318_144307102_copy_1224x1632.jpg

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• milky_26

• allyby

• Bozi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Did you make your own dough, as thats what makes every great pizza. 

No, it is something I'll be getting into but didn't want disheartened straight away so I bought some frozen doughballs from Ooni which I must say are bloody good.

21 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Did you make your own dough, as thats what makes every great pizza. 

I had the best pizza I’ve had in my life in off all places Belfast a couple of years ago and would have been happy with just the dough. It was amazing. 

i just read about them, and have a question, the gas is it one of those calor gas bottles/cannisters you need to run it?

conn artist

I have an ooni. Runs great using gas. For a bottle from install oil up at loanhead area. Cheap as chips.  The pellets were useless. Get an infra red thermostat if not already. Really helps with getting the oven to the right heat. 

00 pizza flour is the way ahead for making dough. Use a method called cold proving. Uses less yeast but need to prep is about 2 or 3 days in advance. Just make it and pop in the fridge. Worth it as the dough is spot on after all that time. 

7 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i just read about them, and have a question, the gas is it one of those calor gas bottles/cannisters you need to run it?

It is, it runs off propane gas. I bought a wee patio bottle off Facebook marketplace and got it swapped for a full big one.

Edited by graygo

conn artist
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Propane.  But the attachment the ooni comes with is patio gas. Just take that off and put a normal propane regulator on. 

Just now, conn artist said:

I have an ooni. Runs great using gas. For a bottle from install oil up at loanhead area. Cheap as chips.  The pellets were useless. Get an infra red thermostat if not already. Really helps with getting the oven to the right heat. 

00 pizza flour is the way ahead for making dough. Use a method called cold proving. Uses less yeast but need to prep is about 2 or 3 days in advance. Just make it and pop in the fridge. Worth it as the dough is spot on after all that time. 

you should also be able to make a lot of dough and freeze portions so all you need to do is defrost it when you want it

3 minutes ago, conn artist said:

Aye, I got one of those thermometers off Amazon, gets up to 430°c in about 20 minutes.

I'll be making my own dough once I've finished the bought ones.

Edited by graygo

35 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, it is something I'll be getting into but didn't want disheartened straight away so I bought some frozen doughballs from Ooni which I must say are bloody good.

I'm going to do you a favour here.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/

And watch this guy making the dough, he goes in to making his own dough big time, go to his home page.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Took the plunge this week and bought an Ooni Koda 16 pizza oven to supplement my Perfect Draft beer dispenser.

Got to say that the pizzas are superb, can't see me ever having a shop bought pizza again.

Anybody got one or thinking about getting one?

My first effort was a simple half and half affair but looking forward to getting into trying different toppings.

IMG_20210318_144307102_copy_1224x1632.jpg

Looks great and well done but with this plus your beer machine you will be some size by end of the summer 😂

10 minutes ago, theshed said:

Looks great and well done but with this plus your beer machine you will be some size by end of the spring 😂

FTFY ☹️

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Cheers, I'll have a look at that.

Also look in to getting the Ooni App or Pizzap and download it to your phone.

On making pizza dough, people often say the key is using 00 flour. But it very much depends on the variety of 00 flour as there are many. It is also sometimes easier - particularly if you are starting out - to use a mix of 00 dough and strong white flour (as in normal bread-making flour). 

Another tip is if you are making more than one pizza separate the dough into bundles for each pizza before you leave the dough to rise.

6 minutes ago, allyby said:

Also look in to getting the Ooni App or Pizzap and download it to your phone.

Done that already. 👍

13 minutes ago, stirlo said:

On making pizza dough, people often say the key is using 00 flour. But it very much depends on the variety of 00 flour as there are many. It is also sometimes easier - particularly if you are starting out - to use a mix of 00 dough and strong white flour (as in normal bread-making flour). 

Another tip is if you are making more than one pizza separate the dough into bundles for each pizza before you leave the dough to rise.

I use Caputo Nuvola, I mix enough for 6-260grm dough balls, once its all done put all the dough in a container large enough to hold it, plus you need to remember the dough is going to start rising, leave it at room temperature for 18 hrs and ball up the dough to size, leave it in a bakers box for six hours and then it's ready to cook, total proof  time 24hrs, make fantastic pizza and from  15 Kilo bag of this for under £20 you get about 90 pizzas. 

Edited by allyby

I received an Ooni 16 for Christmas. Still in the box.

Motivated to get it up and running on the back of this thread 👍

The Ferrari G3 is a good, cheaper indoor option, though I believe they're quite hard to come by at the moment. 

As for the dough, I've found the flour's not as important as the way you prove it. Ideally make your dough earlier in the day, or the day before, and leave on the fridge to prove for a while before shaping your bases. Gives it that lovely puffy texture as the dough relaxes. 

Also, Aldi do a perfectly decent tomato sauce for about 80p.

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My wife was on about this yesterday. I was like you already have three ovens what do you need a pizza oven for which will never be used. She’ then tried to persuade me when BBQ seasons it will be great. 

I asked how much and she told me £500, I thought she was taking the piss at first.

Is it genuinely worth it? I’ll probably end up buying one tonight, as the wife has got cocktails coming round and I think her plan is to get me pissed and butter me up  for something. She has previous for trying and I have previous for falling for it😞

I always find for these situations, have something in mind that you would like.

When my wife was on about going to see robbie Williams in concert? I got a nice new fishing rod.

When she wanted a new dining room table? I got a new telly.

I know she is building up to wanting new chairs/table for the garden, I want an amp for my gguitar.i know I'll have the amp prior to her getting the garden furniture.

Worthing Jambo

Just bought the 12” inch one on a recommendation.

I haven’t put it together yet.

I could eat pizza every day mind!

Steaks are apparently something else too.

The wife has mentioned one of these for years, but I've not really fancied it.

Does anyone one have the Ooni Fyra 12?

That is the one she fancies. A little bit cheaper than the Ooni above.

Cheers 

24 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Does the pizza taste superior on this than it does in a conventional over? How fast does it cook the pizzas? 

thanks. 

I would just use your home oven

Edited by allyby

When I lived in France, I would get pizza dough from the local baker's. You might find that your local bakery here will sell you suitable dough, particularly if you buy it fairly often.

13 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

My wife was on about this yesterday. I was like you already have three ovens what do you need a pizza oven for which will never be used. She’ then tried to persuade me when BBQ seasons it will be great. 

I asked how much and she told me £500, I thought she was taking the piss at first.

Is it genuinely worth it? I’ll probably end up buying one tonight, as the wife has got cocktails coming round and I think her plan is to get me pissed and butter me up  for something. She has previous for trying and I have previous for falling for it😞

No it's not "genuinely worth it" but there's no denying that it's great fun making proper pizzas in a fire and they are streets ahead of any shop bought pizza.

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Didn't expect that cost  im out😧

Screenshot_20210320-082022_Chrome.jpg

I ordered the 12" version after convincing the Mrs that at £299 it would be money well spent. Turned out delivery wouldn't be till next month so stretched the budget for the 16" @ £499. It doesn't stop there though, a peel/shovel @ £65, a turning peel @ £50, a bottle of propane gas @ £65, a cast iron skillet @ £35, pizza serving boards @ £30, a dough tray @ £20 and other bits like a laser thermometer, doughballs, a toppings serving station, a dough mat and God knows how many toppings and base sauces.

I'm now skint.

Tommy Brown
Just now, graygo said:

I ordered the 12" version after convincing the Mrs that at £299 it would be money well spent. Turned out delivery wouldn't be till next month so stretched the budget for the 16" @ £499. It doesn't stop there though, a peel/shovel @ £65, a turning peel @ £50, a bottle of propane gas @ £65, a cast iron skillet @ £35, pizza serving boards @ £30, a dough tray @ £20 and other bits like a laser thermometer, doughballs, a toppings serving station, a dough mat and God knows how many toppings and base sauces.

I'm now skint.

:clap::lol:

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Does the pizza taste superior on this than it does in a conventional over? How fast does it cook the pizzas? 

thanks. 

Far superior, pizza dough is designed to be cooked at a very high temperature. The Ooni gets up to about 500°c, a conventional oven about half that.

Cooking time for a pizza is between 1 and 2 minutes.

11 hours ago, babywhalo said:

The wife has mentioned one of these for years, but I've not really fancied it.

Does anyone one have the Ooni Fyra 12?

That is the one she fancies. A little bit cheaper than the Ooni above.

Cheers 

A mate has got a Fyra 12, he loves it because of the smoky flavour it gives. I feel that making a pizza in these things is intense enough without having to keep topping it up with pellets.

I made dough this morning for a 30 hr proof, enough for 8x 260 doughballs and leave at room temperature, I'll divide up tomorrow at Noon, two of which will be cooked fresh at around six pm and the remaining six will get frozen for later use.

56 minutes ago, graygo said:

Far superior, pizza dough is designed to be cooked at a very high temperature. The Ooni gets up to about 500°c, a conventional oven about half that.

Cooking time for a pizza is between 1 and 2 minutes.

After reading your post I had a thought. If you had a self cleaning oven (they heat up to 400 Celsius or above), would that be a way to cook a pizza properly?

luckyBatistuta
12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

What’s the best indoor option? Would love to make pizzas like that but live in a flat 

Whilst you wait and wonder which indoor option to buy. Try this as an easy to make healthy pizza that really is better than it sounds. Just buy a pack of wraps and just smother them in tomato purée, then just add whatever you like on top. They don’t take long in the oven.

0740B64C-B9E4-4DFB-B30E-2B97B196C371.jpeg

5B0504A1-438F-4B56-AB2F-069FD6B7DD55.jpeg

378CFC49-860E-4078-A3CB-6DE7C8B80E72.jpeg

3D092BFF-2BBF-4288-80F9-E43865FC4369.jpeg

ECAE0408-F2AE-41F1-86CC-EBBCD302F6AB.jpeg

conn artist

If you need gas  look up a place called Install Oil up loanhead kind of way. It was £26 quid for 11kg of propane last summer delivered free. No bottle rental or any of that which is a massive part of the costs with gas. Ooni provide a patio gas regulator but that's easily replaced.

Mr Brightside
23 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

What’s the best indoor option? Would love to make pizzas like that but live in a flat 

Get a pizza stone. Preheat the oven and stone for around 45 - 60 minutes and then put in your pizza.

If doing your own dough bases I find cooking the base only first for 5mins then adding the toppings works best.

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

Get a pizza stone. Preheat the oven and stone for around 45 - 60 minutes and then put in your pizza.

If doing your own dough bases I find cooking the base only first for 5mins then adding the toppings works best.

when you preheat the pizza stone turn your oven up as high as it can go

55 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

for those who use pizza stones/peels/shovels what do you put on them to stop the pizza sticking? flour/polenta etc

I have a perforated metal peel and put a wee bit semolina along the front edge, touch wood not had any issues yet but it's early days.

10 hours ago, superjack said:

After reading your post I had a thought. If you had a self cleaning oven (they heat up to 400 Celsius or above), would that be a way to cook a pizza properly?

Pretty sure that would work if you buy a stone plate which are not expensive.

The point of a pizza oven is similar to a BBQ, it's for outside living/cooking and you're not taking your self cleaning oven outside I wouldn't think.

10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Whilst you wait and wonder which indoor option to buy. Try this as an easy to make healthy pizza that really is better than it sounds. Just buy a pack of wraps and just smother them in tomato purée, then just add whatever you like on top. They don’t take long in the oven.

0740B64C-B9E4-4DFB-B30E-2B97B196C371.jpeg

5B0504A1-438F-4B56-AB2F-069FD6B7DD55.jpeg

378CFC49-860E-4078-A3CB-6DE7C8B80E72.jpeg

3D092BFF-2BBF-4288-80F9-E43865FC4369.jpeg

ECAE0408-F2AE-41F1-86CC-EBBCD302F6AB.jpeg

This was the wife's go to pizza until we got the oven. 👍

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Some guru chef on tv the other day said a baking tray turned upside down and pre heated works just as well.

Mr Brightside
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

when you preheat the pizza stone turn your oven up as high as it can go

Yeah that’s what I do, but my oven only goes to 275 so not as warm as a pizza oven.

Mr Brightside

This is an example of a pizza I made using homemade dough and a pizza stone in a gas oven.

Planning on building a brick pizza oven outside this year. Got a load of fire bricks to do it.

E746A1EE-9C93-4E41-B339-95008D0EFEC6.jpeg