Pizza ovens

graygo

Had a go at making my own dough for the first time yesterday.  Don't think I'll be buying frozen for a while although might keep a few for back up.

IMG_20210416_161122188_copy_979x1305.jpg

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• milky_26

• allyby

• Bozi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

just make a bigger batch of dough and freeze it yourself

Sorry should have said that I've got about a dozen left from the initial box of 40 that I bought, I'll freeze my own once they're gone.

Peakybunnet

Ordered my Ooni last week but have a 3 week lead time. Apparently deliveries disrupted by the ship stuck in the Suez last month. 

mrmarkus1981

Mine arrived about a week ago. And I'm ashamed to admit, its still in the box in the garage. I've not made any dough yet and I am 100% not just chucking a premade Asda thing on it

3 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

I made Tandoori style chicken in my one today, cut it in to cubes and put it in Pataks Bhuna Sauce, also did Peshawari Naans in the Ooni, Bloody tasty.

TSC.jpg

naan.jpg

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

@allyby and @Awbdy Oot are those pans the ooni ones or just standard cast iron ones? as it is something i will look for once my oven arrives

My one is the Ooni Grizzler, first time I've used it but won't be the last, the Tandoori Chicken is fantastic, wife say's better it's than the Indians.

Just now, allyby said:

My one is the Ooni Grizzler, first time I've used it but won't be the last, the Tandoori Chicken is fantastic, wife say's better it's than the Indians.

my plan would be to do a mix, pizzas and stuff on it including doing tandoori chicken for a pizza topping

5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

@allyby and @Awbdy Oot are those pans the ooni ones or just standard cast iron ones? as it is something i will look for once my oven arrives

Ooni one's are as easy to get hold of as hen's teeth. I got mine from Amazon for a fraction of the price and next day delivery and they do the job although I would have got one with removable handles with hindsight.

I see Aldi are selling an outdoor pizza oven from 9th May. Won't be as good quality as the Ooni but should be a hell of a lot cheaper.

15 hours ago, allyby said:

I have a question for you all with the Ooni oven, What flour are you using and what hydration do you like with it?, This is my preferred choice at 62%

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/rice-flower/dg-la-napoletana-pizza-flour-00-5kg

I made my own dough on Friday for the first time using Caputo 00 Classica, it's a blue packet but the one I should have got is pizzeria which also comes in a blue packet. Anyway, it was quite a bit better than the frozen doughballs I had been using.

This Friday I'm going to be using a 30p bag of Tesco 00 flour. 😲

Also used a 62% hydration.

57 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I made my own dough on Friday for the first time using Caputo 00 Classica, it's a blue packet but the one I should have got is pizzeria which also comes in a blue packet. Anyway, it was quite a bit better than the frozen doughballs I had been using.

Let me know how you get on with the Tesco flour!👍

2 hours ago, allyby said:

Let me know how you get on with the Tesco flour!👍

I will, meant to be Friday but I'm an impatient bugger so might be before then.

3 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

i have used the 00 caputo pizzeria flour and 60% hydration. it gave excellent dough and really easy to make if you have a stand mixer.

Guys

There is an Italian wholesaler in Kirkliston.....CQS.... look them up

They actually deal with the public now...the service and product is excellent

I got talking with one of the guys and he sent out the price list to me so I order off that...wholesale prices so what's not to like...?!

I get the Divella red flour from them, Fior De Latte cheese.....and their pepperoni etc is brilliant, no grease when cooking it

Could go on and on about the product list...but get in touch with them...wholesale prices and delivery,....I get one every other month

Anyway, poolish recipe from the link I put up is the best for me yet...will be doing more this weekend

For folk who can’t have a pizza oven for what ever reason getting a pizza stone and heating it as high temperature as possible on conventional oven for an hour will do the job. Still not quite as good but really does make a huge difference. 

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

For folk who can’t have a pizza oven for what ever reason getting a pizza stone and heating it as high temperature as possible on conventional oven for an hour will do the job. Still not quite as good but really does make a huge difference. 

just make sure you measure your oven first before ordering, my brother in law didn't then bought one that was too big. Also i have found if you roll your pizza onto some baking paper it makes it a lot easier to get onto the stone and as long as you dont have too much spare paper round it you can just lay it on the stone

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

just make sure you measure your oven first before ordering, my brother in law didn't then bought one that was too big. Also i have found if you roll your pizza onto some baking paper it makes it a lot easier to get onto the stone and as long as you dont have too much spare paper round it you can just lay it on the stone

Pizza Paddle and flour/polenta is your friend for this. 

A good olive oil in the Dough helps with sticking as well as crisping up 

Friend of mine is trying to produce a rotating wheel for the Ooni ovens, the difficult part is getting an adhesive that will bond stone to metal which won't dissolve under the high temperatures. Want's me to test out a prototype for him as he only has a 12" oven, will be interesting to see if it works well.

18 minutes ago, moz said:

Guys

There is an Italian wholesaler in Kirkliston.....CQS.... look them up

They actually deal with the public now...the service and product is excellent

I got talking with one of the guys and he sent out the price list to me so I order off that...wholesale prices so what's not to like...?!

I get the Divella red flour from them, Fior De Latte cheese.....and their pepperoni etc is brilliant, no grease when cooking it

Could go on and on about the product list...but get in touch with them...wholesale prices and delivery,....I get one every other month

Anyway, poolish recipe from the link I put up is the best for me yet...will be doing more this weekend

Seen them mentioned before on one of the Ooni Facebook groups.

I've been told to try the Fior de latte from Yester Farm Dairies in Haddington so that's next for me. 👍

Disser Pointon

Excuse my ignorance but what's the reference to hydration people keep making? New to this and only made one batch of dough so far...............which I was quite chuffed with for a first effort! Might try the Poolish recipe above next time but I've still got some of it frozen to get through first.

hydration is linked to the amount of water in the dough, i believe a higher hydration will give a stretchier more open bake while a lower one gives a tighter and harder one. realistically it seems 60-65% seems normal for pizza dough. dont worry about it if you are following recipes and stick with those that you prefer

Disser Pointon
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

hydration is linked to the amount of water in the dough, i believe a higher hydration will give a stretchier more open bake while a lower one gives a tighter and harder one. realistically it seems 60-65% seems normal for pizza dough. dont worry about it if you are following recipes and stick with those that you prefer

Cheers mate, I kind of guessed that's what it was and I'll stick to recipes I think!

indianajones

You are all a bunch of erses. 

Absolutely starving now. Wish i had a garden as you have all sold these extremely well. 

That chicken looks incredible. 

See when your getting mozzarella get the lowest moisture grated mozzarella available. The fresh mozzarella balls is great but I find a lower moisture mozzarella makes a far crisper base. 

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

See when your getting mozzarella get the lowest moisture grated mozzarella available. The fresh mozzarella balls is great but I find a lower moisture mozzarella makes a far crisper base. 

I tore up my mozzarella and let it drain in a sieve in the fridge overnight then patted it down with kitchen roll to dry it out. 

Bloody hard work this pizza lark. 😆

On 19/04/2021 at 16:40, Awbdy Oot said:

Seen them mentioned before on one of the Ooni Facebook groups.

I've been told to try the Fior de latte from Yester Farm Dairies in Haddington so that's next for me. 👍

Is it this stuff, if it is it's a bit expensive,

https://yesterfarmdairies-shop.co.uk/collections/yester-products/products/mozz-block-250g?variant=34610330402969

I get this from online retail shop, out of stock at the moment but they do a huge turn over and only takes a day of two to get in stock.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/cheeses/fior-di-latte-mozzarella-cubed-2kg

Making enough dough for eight pizzas tomorrow as a couple of family members are coming and I'll freeze the remaining dough balls.

Edited by allyby

2 hours ago, allyby said:

Is it this stuff, if it is it's a bit expensive,

https://yesterfarmdairies-shop.co.uk/collections/yester-products/products/mozz-block-250g?variant=34610330402969

I get this from online retail shop, out of stock at the moment but they do a huge turn over and only takes a day of two to get in stock.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/cheeses/fior-di-latte-mozzarella-cubed-2kg

Making enough dough for eight pizzas tomorrow as a couple of family members are coming and I'll freeze the remaining dough balls.

Can't see it on their website but they do the same as AD Maria, 2kg cubed.

Main+Image-23+Mozz.jpg

23 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Can't see it on their website but they do the same as AD Maria, 2kg cubed.

Main+Image-23+Mozz.jpg

How much is it?

19 minutes ago, allyby said:

Great! easy to get too as well, only 6 miles up the road.

Probably not needed but good to know, minimum order £10 for free delivery.

FREE HOME DELIVERY (EAST LOTHIAN, MIDLOTHIAN, EDINBURGH ONLY)

Place your order before mid-day for next working day delivery Monday-Fri (order before midday Friday for delivery on Monday).

2 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Probably not needed but good to know, minimum order £10 for free delivery.

FREE HOME DELIVERY (EAST LOTHIAN, MIDLOTHIAN, EDINBURGH ONLY)

Place your order before mid-day for next working day delivery Monday-Fri (order before midday Friday for delivery on Monday).

Cheers mate good to know, I'll give it a go!:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I'd imagine that anyone going for one of those will upgrade fairly quickly as the bug bites them.

Still loving my Ooni. 😁

mine wont be dispatched for another week or two

indianajones

Been a terrible spring so far.

Very jealous of those with one of these that will be able to enjoy a scorching day making fresh pizza in the garden. 

On 09/05/2021 at 12:21, Awbdy Oot said:

I'd imagine that anyone going for one of those will upgrade fairly quickly as the bug bites them.

Still loving my Ooni. 😁

I still love my Ooni as well but the bugs got me thinking about one of these..

https://abell.co.uk/clementi-clementino-table-top-pizza-oven--wood-fired_p32415871.htm

Edited by allyby

1 hour ago, allyby said:

I still love my Ooni as well but the bugs got me thinking about one of these..

https://abell.co.uk/clementi-clementino-table-top-pizza-oven--wood-fired_p32415871.htm

I don't think I could be arsed with trying to keep the fuel level up.

Having said that I'm having a problem with the flame on my Koda just now, flame at the back is fine but it's very low on the left which means I'm not able to get it to a high enough temperature.

Ooni suggested I get an air duster and try to blow away any possible blockages which didn't work so they sent out a new regulator. I put that on today and still the problem exists, just waiting on the next step now.

22 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I don't think I could be arsed with trying to keep the fuel level up.

Having said that I'm having a problem with the flame on my Koda just now, flame at the back is fine but it's very low on the left which means I'm not able to get it to a high enough temperature.

Ooni suggested I get an air duster and try to blow away any possible blockages which didn't work so they sent out a new regulator. I put that on today and still the problem exists, just waiting on the next step now.

Well the next step is that they want to uplift the oven I have on Friday and replace it sometime in the middle of June. 😲

I've told them that's not good enough as the faulty oven I have is better than nothing. 

Dobbies (Lakeland) can deliver in a few days so I'm going for a full refund.

Peakybunnet
On 10/05/2021 at 17:33, milky_26 said:

just had confirmation that my ooni karu 12 has been dispatched.

:yas: :yas: :yas:

14 days ago they said mine would be 10 days  but no word yet. 

15 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

14 days ago they said mine would be 10 days  but no word yet. 

it arrived today, note i got the karu 12