Pizza ovens

graygo

26 minutes ago, graygo said:

Don't shoot me for the pineapple, the wife insisted on it, she also prefers cheddar to mozzarella. Weirdo.

IMG_20230326_184002994_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230326_182652844.jpg

IMG_20230326_180953065.jpg

IMG_20230326_175102044.jpg

Yours look the damage, how you done that? 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• milky_26

• allyby

• Bozi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, graygo said:

Don't shoot me for the pineapple, the wife insisted on it, she also prefers cheddar to mozzarella. Weirdo.

i use a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella as i feel it is better than just mozzarella.

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

i use a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella as i feel it is better than just mozzarella.

The bottom one of my pics has cheddar and mozzarella on it.

Mark_Mywords
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Used this poolish recipe with the added 24 hours cold fermentation.

https://thepizzaheaven.com/neapolitan-pizza-poolish/

I also make a poolish also.  It makes a huge difference.  Very easy to make, once you have made it a couple of times.  There are quite a few Neapolitan poolish calculators online that saves all the manual working out.

Worthing Jambo
5 hours ago, graygo said:

Wish I did, ended up cooking in the garage yesterday with the doors open as it was pissing down and blowing a hoolie.

Reviews I've seen on a couple of Facebook groups I'm a member of are pretty much unanimously good for the Volt, bloody expensive even with the trade in, a trade in that lets you keep your old oven. 😄

Damn, I was hoping it would be shite🤭

I’ve missed my Ooni during the winter🥹

Worthing Jambo
3 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

Ditto, can never get the temperature right

Persevere, probably not hot enough.

Also watch the kindling you buy as I had one batch that just wouldn’t get the temperature high enough!

14 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Persevere, probably not hot enough.

Also watch the kindling you buy as I had one batch that just wouldn’t get the temperature high enough!

I got the Koda (gas) because it's less hassle. Still takes about half an hour to get up to temperature.

On 26/03/2023 at 15:22, Cruyff said:

I bought an Ooni one and found out it's harder to make a decent Pizza than it looks. 

Now it lives in the shed beside all the other shite I thought was a good idea at the time. :lol:

I hear ya!! 😂

I might buy one though as @graygo’s pizzas look awesome! 

il Duce McTarkin

My brother-in-law has one of those wood pellet fired ooni ovens, and his thin based, tomato, mozzarella, chilli, and basil pizzas are hands-down the best that I've ever had.

32 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I hear ya!! 😂

I might buy one though as @graygo’s pizzas look awesome! 

My worse pizza has been better tasting (might not look better) than any ready made pizza I've ever had and I'm still learning, next time it's biga dough.

If you're serious about getting one sign up for Lakeland, they give a 20% discount code. 👍

This is my go to poolish recipe...never fails.....[Vito loves his pizza so much I wouldn't be surprised if he goes full American Pie on it.....]

Anyway, I normally make 9-10 pizzas out of it , use 4-5 and freeze the rest

There is an Italian wholesaler in Kirkliston that does actually deal with the public.....CQS, look them up...great service and they deliver out to me at no extra cost......getting the proper Mozzarella, Pepperoni,  and flour etc at trade cost

They also have a shop in Glasgow, where you can just walk in and shop..... 87-89 Milnbank St, Glasgow G31 3AH

Not fired the Koda 16 up this year yet but seeing the above has me thinking to put an order in and get started now....

will post pics up on next cook....

12 minutes ago, moz said:

This is my go to poolish recipe...never fails.....[Vito loves his pizza so much I wouldn't be surprised if he goes full American Pie on it.....]

Anyway, I normally make 9-10 pizzas out of it , use 4-5 and freeze the rest

There is an Italian wholesaler in Kirkliston that does actually deal with the public.....CQS, look them up...great service and they deliver out to me at no extra cost......getting the proper Mozzarella, Pepperoni,  and flour etc at trade cost

They also have a shop in Glasgow, where you can just walk in and shop..... 87-89 Milnbank St, Glasgow G31 3AH

Not fired the Koda 16 up this year yet but seeing the above has me thinking to put an order in and get started now....

will post pics up on next cook....

I've watched quite a few of Vito's videos and this is my next dough, crast looks very cranchie (sp). 

I just used a supermarket mozzarella at the weekend but I usually get a big bag from Yester Farm in Gifford and freeze it. 

I did ask CQS for a price list last year but they never sent one, might try again. 👍

22 hours ago, graygo said:

Wish I did, ended up cooking in the garage yesterday with the doors open as it was pissing down and blowing a hoolie.

Reviews I've seen on a couple of Facebook groups I'm a member of are pretty much unanimously good for the Volt, bloody expensive even with the trade in, a trade in that lets you keep your old oven. 😄

even with 20% off bringing the volt to £640 that is still some whack

20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

even with 20% off bringing the volt to £640 that is still some whack

Out my reach unfortunately.

Just now, graygo said:

Out my reach unfortunately.

if i used it every week i could probably justify it but i dont use my ooni as much as a should. That is something i will be changing this year, i am thinking about making the poolish you posted this week

@graygo one question about the poolish you posted, the 500ml of water what temperature should i use? is tepid fine or should i raise the temp to 30sih degrees?

Just now, Bozi said:

PXL_20221201_165408889.thumb.jpg.314adf0859867563e74d61a9afe40926.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bozi said:

PXL_20221201_165408889.thumb.jpg.314adf0859867563e74d61a9afe40926.jpg

Annoyingly I have dozens of pictures of pizza in my oven but get an error every time I try to upload a picture...

The Salter Pizza oven is a fraction of the price and I have had great success with it 

4 hours ago, Bozi said:

Annoyingly I have dozens of pictures of pizza in my oven but get an error every time I try to upload a picture...

The Salter Pizza oven is a fraction of the price and I have had great success with it 

That looks a decent option. A fraction of the price of Ooni and comes with the various accessories needed too. Has some decent reviews. 

11 hours ago, milky_26 said:

@graygo one question about the poolish you posted, the 500ml of water what temperature should i use? is tepid fine or should i raise the temp to 30sih degrees?

Tepid mate, too hot and you'll kill the yeast.

Ooni say to add 1/3 of it boiled to 2/3 cold water.

Edited by graygo

On 27/03/2023 at 13:40, graygo said:

7d0dc683-f62e-4500-9e79-e1f7bf8b68e4_tex

On 27/03/2023 at 13:40, graygo said:

That looks absolutely awful.

I'm sure the dough tasted nice.

Sweetcorn!

Edited by hughesie27

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

That looks absolutely awful.

I'm sure the dough tasted nice.

Sweetcorn!

I agree, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole but that's what the lady wanted so that's what the lady got. 🤮

6 hours ago, graygo said:

I agree, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole but that's what the lady wanted so that's what the lady got. 🤮

Unfortunate fact Graygo but ffs mam put the foot down. Sweetcorn and pineapple on a pizza. :vrface:

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Unfortunate fact Graygo but ffs mam put the foot down. Sweetcorn and pineapple on a pizza. :vrface:

You're right, I'll get it sorted.  Might wait till after steak and BJ day though. 👍

14 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

That looks a decent option. A fraction of the price of Ooni and comes with the various accessories needed too. Has some decent reviews. 

I have used it I think 7 times since I got it and it's been ace everytime, though the expanding waistline is a problem 😂

1 hour ago, graygo said:

You're right, I'll get it sorted.  Might wait till after steak and BJ day though. 👍

And will be picking sweetcorn out of her teeth that day. 

1 hour ago, graygo said:

We call that Friday. 😊

I know Carrs is a great flour for making bread as thats the one we usualy get for breadmaking but I've just ordered 10 x kilo packs of their 00 pizza flour to try it out this year, anyone tried it yet?

https://shop.carrsflour.co.uk/

Edited by allyby

• 5 weeks later...
On 28/03/2023 at 15:00, Bozi said:

Bought the Salter after reading your post. Tried to use it for the first time last night and had a disaster. Just couldn't get it going at all really as the flames kept going out. It got up to about 260 degrees at its hottest point but I'm fairly sure that's because of me and not the oven itself. Any tips on actually getting the thing going? What pellets are you using in it? I think my problem may have been the wind. 

Edited by Sooperstar

7 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Bought the Salter after reading your post. Tried to use it for the first time last night and had a disaster. Just couldn't get it going at all really as the flames kept going out. It got up to about 260 degrees at its hottest point but I'm fairly sure that's because of me and not the oven itself. Any tips on actually getting the thing going? What pellets are you using in it? I think my problem may have been the wind. 

Hey man aye it took a bit of playing about to get the knack of it, 

I used these wood pellets from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DJ2TB4V?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_VEMQTE57457H0ZTRTB0P

And got the natural fire lighters from LIDL which are ace.

Realistically you need to let is run a wee bit to get properly hot and then it's just keeping an eye on the pellets and when yo top it up 

7 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Hey man aye it took a bit of playing about to get the knack of it, if it's cold outside I have popped the stone in the oven for 10 minutes to bring it up quickly. 

I used these wood pellets from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DJ2TB4V?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_VEMQTE57457H0ZTRTB0P

And got the natural fire lighters from LIDL which are ace.

Realistically you need to let is run a wee bit to get properly hot and then it's just keeping an eye on the pellets and when to top it up, I have tried having it rammed full but found that it can sometimes another it, so I just keep adding 1 scoop into the hopper as I take 1 pizza out and double check it as I turn the next pizza. 

Hope this helps 

12 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Ps this is a great group for advice

https://www.facebook.com/groups/249776096116750/?ref=share