*** Official Heart of Midlothian vs Ayr Utd match-day thread***

Scott980612

2 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

McEneff has shown he can cross a good ball but he's been given a defensive role it would seem, confined to the centre.  Irving is playing deeper, and well mostly, so he only gets a chance to cross at freekicks - voila!

Halliday, Walker in particular were woeful with their crosses.

Robbie took off McEneff, and left Halliday on, shook my head at that, the management are restricting most players to be more defensively minded, I would give McEneff a free role, let the shackles off Robbie, ffs the players we do have, might actually look half decent, if you did. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

• sadj

• GinRummy

davemclaren
1 minute ago, bairdy said:

Just quite happy to take the 3 points today.

One step closer to getting out of this bloody league !

My sentiments entirely. It’s all about getting over the line at present. 

Imagine the fans being there today. The team would of been booked of the pitch with the fans singing you don’t know what your doing to Neilson. It was only when Walker came on it got a bit better but really overall we were crap as usual. So let’s not kid ourselves we’re lucky there’s not a decent team in this league because if there was we’d be fighting for the playoffs.

Edited by mitch41

21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Today was far from dreadful.

The Levein years have seriously ****ed up a lot of our support.

Between that, folk who started following us in 2005 and those who watch the EPL and expect Scottish teams to be the love child of Man City and Liverpool...some seriously need to get a grip.

Presume you were looking in the mirror when you wrote that rubbish. I’ve been watching Hearts since late 1950’s and if you think that today was acceptable then you nothing about our club.

16 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

What periods as a hearts fan do you remember as being enjoyable football most weeks? Genuine question.  I can't remember a single season where we've consistently played good football.

First saw Hearts in late 1950’s. Great performances were under Tommy Walker, Alex McDonald, the Vlad era, JJ and even RN in his first stint in Championship.

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My sentiments entirely. It’s all about getting over the line at present. 

That’s the sort of comment that makes RN sleep well.

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Smith won’t. He didn’t last time in the SPL and this growing weird obsession with calling him out as shite is totally bizarre.

Where did I say he was shite? As my post said, Smith, Popescu and Halkett as a combination, and we will need to sign two decent centre backs.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Hearts winning is the sort of thing that makes me sleep well. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

The problems with the back two today were that they (on numerous occasions) allowed the ball to bounce instead of heading first time.  Almost cost us a couple of times. 

They will be crucified for this in Premeirship.

hmfc_liam06
9 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Presume you were looking in the mirror when you wrote that rubbish. I’ve been watching Hearts since late 1950’s and if you think that today was acceptable then you nothing about our club.

Right you are :lol:

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Cant be arsed with another post match pant wetting session so I think I’ll toddle off and watch Everton bring home my 8 match accumulator 

:vrface:

Priority is to get out the Championship.

Next season we need to get rid of many including Naisy!

Robbie doing what was his job winning league and unlucky not to win big cup. IMO

Better for most of second half, and much better laterly in game, but still sub standard overall.  Not for this league, but for the Premiership.  We still need almost a full new team. 

And why GMS starts, and Walker does not, God knows?

4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

They can not be the back two in  the premier. RN was a defender, surely he knows this. In fact he does know it. I’d doubt him over lots of things but no chance is he getting us promoted and sticking with that pair of mugs 

Edited by GinRummy

Pasquale for King

Anyone else think Ayrs striker doubles as the bus driver? Their first sub looked like he won a raffle to play amongst Real Maroon players and was pissed last night. 
We can’t get our this tinpot league soon enough. 

Just read the Daily Records write up. Not going to post a link but apparently Ayr were ‘far from sitting back’, ‘taking the game to Hearts at every opportunity’ and it was ‘end to end stuff’. 

Wowzers

8 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Just read the Daily Records write up. Not going to post a link but apparently Ayr were ‘far from sitting back’, ‘taking the game to Hearts at every opportunity’ and it was ‘end to end stuff’. 

Wowzers

Home TeamHearts  Away TeamAyr
Possession
Home64%
Away36%
Shots
Home20
Away4
Shots on Target
Home9
Away2
Corners
Home8
Away7
Fouls
Home9
Away14

12 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Wowzers

That’s just complete lies

Governor Tarkin
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've just come to the conclusion that they're clueless about football :lol:

Bully for you.

We've been reliably informed that you're clueless about shagging. 👍

alwaysthereinspirit

So many players off their game today made it difficult to watch. 3 points and one game closer to the seasons goal though made it slightly easier to get over quickly.

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Bully for you.

We've been reliably informed that you're clueless about shagging. 👍

We've all got our issues. I've always enjoyed it at least.

LarrysRightFoot

We will need to be up for it next week because Arbroath are always organised and give 100% - something that should be a given but sadly isn’t. 

I keep expecting us to take the shackles off, play with some freedom and things to click because they haven’t for a while. I get we are bedding in Jan signings (which will hopefully pay off next season) but we really should be performing better than we are. 

colinmaroon
33 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

That’s the sort of comment that makes me sleep well.

Borefest = Snorefest.

You're not the guy that stood along from me moaning about Alex Young, are you?

6 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

First saw Hearts in late 1950’s. Great performances were under Tommy Walker, Alex McDonald, the Vlad era, JJ and even RN in his first stint in Championship.

Fair enough I started properly in early 2000s, so missed the good times you had- wish I'd seen us in the 50s.

My basic point though is that I wouldn't be too worried about us not blowing teams away each week this season, as you and others seem to be.  My reasoning is based on how bad we've been since RN left around 2017 - turning the worst performing hearts squad in my memory into a championship winning team in 2 transfer windows is pretty good going, especially given the burden of Zlamal, Damour, etc.

Building a team to consistently compete for honours doesn't happen overnight,  usually takes a few years of toil and gradual progress, at least.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We've all got our issues. I've always enjoyed it at least.

Good man. Priorities. :D 👍

Rogue Daddy
33 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Wowzers

😂😂😂 sounds like the reports you get in the Sunday Post (I have to get one for my dad every week... it’s not for me, honest 😳)... I don’t think they ever watch the match, far less send someone to it. The stats are always laughable!

Rogue Daddy
54 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Think we’ll be changing this pair for next season... yeah, definitely wouldn’t get away with these performances in the prem. 

The result was the important thing. I'll take the 3 points. Thank you very much.More crosses like that for the big man 

Horatio Caine

Tell you what though, this league is going to be even more brutal next season and whoever is relegated from the Premiership is going to have a rough passage.  We'll have our own challenges to face, yes, but I'll heave a sigh of relief when we confirm our exit from the Championship.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

McEneff has shown he can cross a good ball but he's been given a defensive role it would seem, confined to the centre.  Irving is playing deeper, and well mostly, so he only gets a chance to cross at freekicks - voila!

Halliday, Walker in particular were woeful with their crosses.

I think we need both of them flanking a true defensive midfielder. They can both pick out a forward at the back post with crosses. The mix in midfield isn’t quite right just now. He changes it constantly as well from the half hour mark onwards as we’re usually toiling to break teams down or not taking chances. 

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Better for most of second half, and much better laterly in game, but still sub standard overall.  Not for this league, but for the Premiership.  We still need almost a full new team. 

And why GMS starts, and Walker does not, God knows?

Is Walker fit enough to last 90 minutes ? 

If bringing him on for the last 30 to take advantage of tired defenders is working then why change it ? 

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

The first 30 mins of McEneff’s Hearts career he made two runs forward from midfield which burst the opposition. He immediately reminded me of Fulton or Cameron. 

Second half he was passing sideways and back. 

It’s obvious why that happened. He was told to stop doing it and has never done it since. He’s now playing as deep as irving which is why Boyce is now playing midfield and we have nobody in the opposition box. 

This is the way it will be until Neilson goes. He will go because he’s a shite, defensive  manager. 

How much time, money and dud signings it takes until the inevitable is anyone’s guess. 

I’ll say October or November. 

I think you might be right. Another issue is Irving isn’t a defensive midfielder tho plays that deep so feels like mceneff trying to cover that role too

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exactly. The mentality of folk is staggering, it's bad on here but even worse on social media. Twitter is some read during a match.

“I watched an EPL game and Man City tore the other team apart so Hearts should too with their billion dollar team” ****ing idiots. Plenty on here of the same mentality. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Is Walker fit enough to last 90 minutes ? 

If bringing him on for the last 30 to take advantage of tired defenders is working then why change it ? 

Why would he not be fit enough? 

1 minute ago, sadj said:

“I watched an EPL game and Man City tore the other team apart so Hearts should too with their billion dollar team” ****ing idiots. Plenty on here of the same mentality. 

I watched an EPL game last night and it made our game today look like thrill a minute stuff. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

I think you might be right. Another issue is Irving isn’t a defensive midfielder tho plays that deep so feels like mceneff trying to cover that role too

Indeed and it’s harder to play the passes that cut teams open from such a central and deep position. As bad as the CHs are having no protection in front only makes it worse. Got to hope Haring can get back to his best, if not we will need someone similar in there. 

ScandinavianJambo
On 08/03/2021 at 21:04, Cruyff said:

Hope not. 

45 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

We will need to be up for it next week because Arbroath are always organised and give 100% - something that should be a given but sadly isn’t. 

I keep expecting us to take the shackles off, play with some freedom and things to click because they haven’t for a while. I get we are bedding in Jan signings (which will hopefully pay off next season) but we really should be performing better than we are. 

We do need to be up for it.... But can I be up for Arbroath.... I dinnae ken... 😉

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why would he not be fit enough? 

I dunno I heard it mentioned. 

Maybe it's tactical and if it is its worked. 

He seems more effective as an impact sub these days. 

3 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

We do need to be up for it.... But can I be up for Arbroath.... I dinnae ken... 😉

Three points at Arbroath is as good as three points anywhere. 

They better be up for it because we've almost finished this jail sentence, don't want to **** it up now. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I dunno I heard it mentioned. 

Maybe it's tactical and if it is its worked. 

He seems more effective as an impact sub these days. 

His overall fitness should be fine now. I agree he’s more effective as a sub, when the game has slowed down a bit. 

alwaysthereinspirit

Popescu twice today showing his usual propensity for being a t!t. Just after we scored too. Hopefully he is no more than a squad player next season. If even. Not sure what it is he’s trying to prove week in and out.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Popescu twice today showing his usual propensity for being a t!t. Just after we scored too. Hopefully he is no more than a squad player next season. If even. Not sure what it is he’s trying to prove week in and out.

Halkett had his usual brain farts too, what a pair they are. 

KyleLafferty

Thought Halliday and Gnado were good today. Say what you want about Halliday, he gives 100% every week, gets stuck In, wins second balls. Technically he isn’t that good a player but for Scottish leagues he’ll do.

7 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Thought Halliday and Gnado were good today. Say what you want about Halliday, he gives 100% every week, gets stuck In, wins second balls. Technically he isn’t that good a player but for Scottish leagues he’ll do.

Agree.

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Wowzers

Craig Gordon was sat on a fekkin deck chair for 90 minutes!!!

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:
Home TeamHearts  Away TeamAyr
Possession
Home64%
Away36%
Shots
Home20
Away4
Shots on Target
Home9
Away2
Corners
Home8
Away7
Fouls
Home9
Away14

It can look like the other team is playing better than us (some of our own fans seem to fall into the trap of thinking this) because we go forward frequently and in numbers. So our opposition often seem to have space to pick passes, etc when a long ball goes over the top down the flank or something.

But that game was as far from an end to end game as you'll get. Did Craig even have a save to make? Wishful thinking from the reporter.

Edited by ToqueJambo