*** Official Heart of Midlothian vs Ayr Utd match-day thread***

Scott980612

No Idle Talk
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Just read the Daily Records write up. Not going to post a link but apparently Ayr were ‘far from sitting back’, ‘taking the game to Hearts at every opportunity’ and it was ‘end to end stuff’. 

Wowzers

The Daily Ranger printing a lot of shite? Par for the course that.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

• sadj

• GinRummy

3 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

What periods as a hearts fan do you remember as being enjoyable football most weeks? Genuine question.  I can't remember a single season where we've consistently played good football.

“Most weeks” as in not ALL weeks? If so 1985, 1998 and 2006 obviously spring to mind as being enjoyable.

The issue is it is some weeks since we have seen “enjoyable football”.......cue we are 8 games unbeaten, we are top of the league, we are 15 points clear..... 

36 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Thought Halliday and Gnado were good today. Say what you want about Halliday, he gives 100% every week, gets stuck In, wins second balls. Technically he isn’t that good a player but for Scottish leagues he’ll do.

I thought Gnando was excellent - I thought Halliday’s crossing and passing were awful.

Edited by Thomaso

It's funny, Hearts fans are always first to praise players who give 100% in a maroon jersey, regardless of their quality. Halliday, for me, gives his all and knows what it means to pull on the jersey, yet he still gets it tight. It's time to give the boy a bit of slack IMO because he doesn't deserve the severe criticism from the majority of our support.

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

That’s the sort of comment that makes me sleep well.

Borefest = Snorefest.

You're not the guy that stood along from me moaning about Alex Young, are you?

Nobody moaned about Alex Young - not even him! 😉

3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

It's funny, Hearts fans are always first to praise players who give 100% in a maroon jersey, regardless of their quality. Halliday, for me, gives his all and knows what it means to pull on the jersey, yet he still gets it tight. It's time to give the boy a bit of slack IMO because he doesn't deserve the severe criticism from the majority of our support.

Giving 100% should be a gimmie for any player including Halliday - his passing and crossing was piss poor today and criticism is justifiable.

alwaysthereinspirit
24 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I thought Gnando was excellent - I thought Halliday’s crossing and passing were awful.

Crossing a ball for Hearts has been an issue for a couple of seasons. Open play, dead ball free kicks and corners. Today in the first few minutes Kingsley attempted a cross. It hit the defender on the @$$. Now it’s possible that the defender was closer than Kingsley thought but then that’s on him. A professional footballer should be able to determine how quick he can get the ball up in the air and if the defender can be cleared. Hitting the defender on the shoulder or head I’ll give you, not the butt.

Maybe the big guy was right a couple of weeks back when he asked for more service. That cross today from Irving was pretty much impossible to defend. We need more of that from everyone.

Central Belt 1874
2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

The first 30 mins of McEneff’s Hearts career he made two runs forward from midfield which burst the opposition. He immediately reminded me of Fulton or Cameron. 

Second half he was passing sideways and back. 

It’s obvious why that happened. He was told to stop doing it and has never done it since. He’s now playing as deep as irving which is why Boyce is now playing midfield and we have nobody in the opposition box. 

This is the way it will be until Neilson goes. He will go because he’s a shite, defensive  manager. 

How much time, money and dud signings it takes until the inevitable is anyone’s guess. 

I’ll say October or November. 

Absolutely 100%.

We will just be wasting time and money keeping Neilson past the end of the season, just like we did with Levein. 

Deep down every Hearts fans knows this. 

We are now into March and there has been no real changes to the way we play. Still slow, still predictable and still only doing just enough. 

53 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Giving 100% should be a gimmie for any player including Halliday - his passing and crossing was piss poor today and criticism is justifiable.

Not denying that by the way. I get the criticism,  all I'm saying is players who have given a lot less in a maroon shirt have been given an easier ride. Halliday isn't the most gifted but he definitely tries his heart out.

Edited by DG_HMFC

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Crossing a ball for Hearts has been an issue for a couple of seasons. Open play, dead ball free kicks and corners. Today in the first few minutes Kingsley attempted a cross. It hit the defender on the @$$. Now it’s possible that the defender was closer than Kingsley thought but then that’s on him. A professional footballer should be able to determine how quick he can get the ball up in the air and if the defender can be cleared. Hitting the defender on the shoulder or head I’ll give you, not the butt.

Maybe the big guy was right a couple of weeks back when he asked for more service. That cross today from Irving was pretty much impossible to defend. We need more of that from everyone.

The GK could’ve come and punched the cross today. 
Have you seen the videos of training the club put on social media? The crossing part where they run in and the wide player feeds the ball in between two metal mannequins. It bears no resemblance to actual games. The drills for at least the last ten years in the game have defence against attack. Sergio for example had progressively more and more attackers v defenders as training went on. At the end Barr was on his own against 5-8 attackers. We need to practice with two against 5-6 defenders to recreate match situations. I can’t seem to share it in here but it was 16/2. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

gowestjambo

65 minutes of utter rubbish in typical Neilson style. Lets not dominate the oppossition, but play plenty sideways and back passes that walking Football teams would be ashamed of.

Last 35 minutes looked like we rememebred how to play football, not brilliantly, but certainly better than the borefest of the first 65 minutes. The football we have played so far this season would see us bottom of the Premier without a doubt.

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

65 minutes of utter rubbish in typical Neilson style. Lets not dominate the oppossition, but play plenty sideways and back passes that walking Football teams would be ashamed of.

Last 35 minutes looked like we rememebred how to play football, not brilliantly, but certainly better than the borefest of the first 65 minutes. The football we have played so far this season would see us bottom of the Premier without a doubt.

Surely there must be some doubt?

maroonedinbriz

Question to all the Robbie lovers. If he was sacked at the end of the season how many teams would be rushing to get him signed up? I'll make a wild guess- Scottish Championship clubs only.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Well take the positive games are lasting 100 minutes these days. 

Without a doubt I think that is wrong  :)

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Have you ever played football at any level above 15year old?

It's common for managers to say keep the ball, make them work , if we don't score early , they'll tire and we'll score eventually.

I've played at a shit level , 1 game at junior I was 2-1 after 75 minutes but after 90 ended up 7-1, because of fitness and subs.

I've also been on a side that was 0-0 , but then won 5-0 or so later on, it's quite common and relative.

Do you not think our tatcics are to dominate the ball, make them work, make them defend and eventually we will score, and if we score early we will fill out boots.

65 minutes of breaking down a side that was defensive. folk are ****ing clueless tbh.

The last 35 minutes was partly because of the first 55 minutes in wearing them down. 

FFS, it's so obvious. It might not always work but it's so obvious I feel embarrassed for the folk screaming at HT.

Edited by Smith's right boot

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's common for managers to say keep the ball, make them work , if we don't score early , they'll tire and we'll score eventually.

I've played at a shit level , 1 game at junior I was 2-1 after 75 minutes but after 90 ended up 7-1, because of fitness and subs.

I've also been on a side that was 0-0 , but then won 5-0 or so later on, it's quite common and relative.

Do you not think our tatcics are to dominate the ball, make them work, make them defend and eventually we will score, and if we score early we will fill out boots.

65 minutes of breaking down a side that was defensive. folk are ****ing clueless tbh.

The last 35 minutes was partly because of the first 55 minutes in wearing them down. 

FFS, it's so obvious. It might not always work but it's so obvious I feel embarrassed for the folk screaming at HT.

The old Firm were always the best at that, how many games have they won where its 0-0 for 80 mins then they get a winner. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The old Firm were always the best at that, how many games have they won where its 0-0 for 80 mins then they get a winner. 

Exactly, Every team that wins leagues are.

It is not a new thing.

We just have a few posters that are  melts.

CloustonHMFC
7 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Presume you were looking in the mirror when you wrote that rubbish. I’ve been watching Hearts since late 1950’s and if you think that today was acceptable then you nothing about our club.

I will ALWAYS say a 2-0 win at home is acceptable. 

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

actually what happened was ayr were very well organised for 65 minutes. Ran out of steam allowing for gaps.

we have used the tactics ayr deployed against bigger and better clubs all the time.  It tends to work quite often..

6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

That's far to complicated for some, you've really got to go back to basics. 

You have to make them understand that there is in fact another team on the pitch before you start the tactical stuff.

Good luck with that.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

actually what happened was ayr were very well organised for 65 minutes. Ran out of steam allowing for gaps.

we have used the tactics ayr deployed against bigger and better clubs all the time.  It tends to work quite often..

Rarely works imo. What happened to Ayr yesterday usually happens to us when we park the bus away from home. 

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Rarely works imo. What happened to Ayr yesterday usually happens to us when we park the bus away from home. 

It works more often than going balls deep, ayr come out and play they lose 5/6/7 not a problem.

key thing is balance.

but this aside it really annoys me that we have so many who fail to recognise that it will never ever look good against teams who park the bus

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It works more often than going balls deep, ayr come out and play they lose 5/6/7 not a problem.

key thing is balance.

but this aside it really annoys me that we have so many who fail to recognise that it will never ever look good against teams who park the bus

Agree, balance is the key. Teams need to find an effective way of attacking even if they’re taking a cautious approach. Frustrated as I was with that first half, I do have sympathy with the players when they are up against that type of tactic. Sometimes I think we play into the oppositions hands with the slow build up though. There’s often not enough movement by players off the ball and we go too deep to rebuild attacks.

Watched the highlights back. I get the idea that we wore them down but the main difference came when the subs came on especially Walker. Taking shots on, making good passes. Maybe GMS lacking in confidence but Walker had to start next week

hmfc_liam06
26 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Watched the highlights back. I get the idea that we wore them down but the main difference came when the subs came on especially Walker. Taking shots on, making good passes. Maybe GMS lacking in confidence but Walker had to start next week

So...credit to Robbie?

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So...credit to Robbie?

yeah did make the right changes tho should have been sooner. I’m not anti Robbie as feel should be given time with a premiership budget.

Brick Tamland
9 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

I think what actually happened is a bit different to your interpretation. All those sideways and back passes created 20 shots on goals with 9 on target unless they were none in the first 65 minutes? If that is the case then our game plan was excellent they defended and we eventually broke them down with 2 well timed substitutions. 

3DEC9F00-FDC0-4E2C-9219-77B2CFBE4F72.jpeg

10 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

His performances 100% deserve criticism as they have been awful. He doesn’t deserve any over the top abuse as he doesn’t pick himself. 

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I feel a bit embarrassed for you asking a guy if he has ever played football before to follow it up by stating you have played 1 junior game. 😂

12 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Tell you what though, this league is going to be even more brutal next season and whoever is relegated from the Premiership is going to have a rough passage.  We'll have our own challenges to face, yes, but I'll heave a sigh of relief when we confirm our exit from the Championship.

You are assuming that the team that gets relegated is worse than Hearts currently is, and that will not necessarily be be the case. I appreciate that there are many experts on here who will know a lot more about football than I do, but the reason we were relegated last season is because we were getting picked off by teams like Hamilton that sat deep, allowed us possession then took advantage of our mistakes. Teams in the Premier League are set up much more defensively and are much more risk averse than they were even 3 or 4 years ago; overall they are stronger. It will be one of these very same teams that will be taking advantage of mistakes in the Championship next season. The main reason we are so far ahead this season is not because we are a better team than last season; it is because the teams we are playing are poorer with defences that eventually fail and with forwards that don't take as much advantage of our defensive weaknesses as a Premier League team would. Okay, in one off games Championship teams may well have a good game against a Premier League team, but put them head to head there is not one Championship team that would come out on top over a run of games. I would include the current Hearts team, with it's wobbly defence, as part of that. Dundee United after a few years down rebuilt this season after promotion because it had to. There is a gulf between the two divisions and any team that goes down should get back quite easily if it prepares properly.     

gowestjambo
9 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Well take the positive games are lasting 100 minutes these days. 

Without a doubt I think that is wrong  :)

Mmmm that just does not add up!! 😊

On 12/03/2021 at 18:10, colinmaroon said:

Oh goodness!  It's just been explained it is not "literally" the same thing.  It's not a matter of what you call it, it's what the "different" roles are, "literally."

Just seen this. What he said was actually wrong but crack on. 

A 10 traditionally was an Attacking midfielder or playmaker. Riquelme, Ozil and Kaka are examples. 

The top of a diamond is the same position as where a 10 plays. Theyre given more freedom to roam the pitch.

Walker is a better 10 than GMS. There is no doubt about this. 

Edited by Ari Gold

Ex member of the SaS

A much needed win and much welcomed, however we can't go through the rest of the season and next, playing such dire football. Slow, pedestrian, predictable football with too many miss placed passes and poor decisions. We need to move the ball quicker and get the strikers and mids up the park quicker. Having to wait until 70plus minutes for a goal against the might Ayr is totally unacceptable for players of their standard and remuneration.

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

A much needed win and much welcomed, however we can't go through the rest of the season and next, playing such dire football. Slow, pedestrian, predictable football with too many miss placed passes and poor decisions. We need to move the ball quicker and get the strikers and mids up the park quicker. Having to wait until 70plus minutes for a goal against the might Ayr is totally unacceptable for players of their standard and remuneration.

Once again we were too slow to turn defence into attack. For seasons now we haven’t counter attacked at any pace. That’s my main gripe this week.

A bit unfair saying it’s unacceptable that it took 70 minutes imo. We had the chances and the ball just didn’t go in the net. Very difficult to break down teams who come to Tynie for a draw and better teams than this one have struggled over the years. If that had been last season, we’d have run out of ideas after an hour, half the side would have got booked and we’d have lost 1-0. 

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I feel a bit embarrassed for you asking a guy if he has ever played football before to follow it up by stating you have played 1 junior game. 😂

Read my post again, it makes no difference whether I played 1 or 100 games, but read it again. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Just seen this. What he said was actually wrong but crack on. 

A 10 traditionally was an Attacking midfielder or playmaker. Riquelme, Ozil and Kaka are examples. 

The top of a diamond is the same position as where a 10 plays. Theyre given more freedom to roam the pitch.

Walker is a better 10 than GMS. There is no doubt about this. 

Walker has had his best games from the bench. 

It's almost like Robbie is using one of his most technical players of the bench on purpose. 

He gets more space and time and defenders are a bit more tired / lacking in concentration, walker seems able to take full advantage. 

I would start him, but how he is being used is working. 

Ex member of the SaS
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Once again we were too slow to turn defence into attack. For seasons now we haven’t counter attacked at any pace. That’s my main gripe this week.

A bit unfair saying it’s unacceptable that it took 70 minutes imo. We had the chances and the ball just didn’t go in the net. Very difficult to break down teams who come to Tynie for a draw and better teams than this one have struggled over the years. If that had been last season, we’d have run out of ideas after an hour, half the side would have got booked and we’d have lost 1-0. 

Once again the main part of the post is not quoted. 70 plus minutes AGAINST THE MIGHT AYR. I agree we would have probably lost BUT that was the Premiership, this is the Championship and we should not be struggling to score against these teams.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Once again the main part of the post is not quoted. 70 plus minutes AGAINST THE MIGHT AYR. I agree we would have probably lost BUT that was the Premiership, this is the Championship and we should not be struggling to score against these teams.

The main part of the post was both quoted and addressed. It did take a long time to break them down but that happens to bigger sides than us. The performance wasn’t great for much of the match but we stuck to our guns and got the result. I’m convinced we will make major changes before next season. If we don’t we will struggle but there’s no way we won’t improve before next season imo.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

How many minutes would have been acceptable to you to wait for a goal?

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The main part of the post was both quoted and addressed. It did take a long time to break them down but that happens to bigger sides than us. The performance wasn’t great for much of the match but we stuck to our guns and got the result. I’m convinced we will make major changes before next season. If we don’t we will struggle but there’s no way we won’t improve before next season imo.

This is another of my points, Waiting until next season to improve. How many times have we heard/tried that? To hit the ground running we need to improve the team NOW. Waiting until next season means another season in transition, another lost season as we try to build a team good enough to compete. As for quoting my previous post No it was not addressed, you missed the main point of it taking 70 plus against the mighty Ayr. Taking this long against Celtic would be acceptable, not against teams like Ayr.

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How many minutes would have been acceptable to you to wait for a goal?

30 seconds after KO. 

You seem to have missed the point of the post.

davemclaren
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

30 seconds after KO. 

You seem to have missed the point of the post.

So it wasn’tyou that said ‘Having to wait until 70plus minutes for a goal against the might Ayr is totally unacceptable for players of their standard and remuneration.’

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

This is another of my points, Waiting until next season to improve. How many times have we heard/tried that? To hit the ground running we need to improve the team NOW. Waiting until next season means another season in transition, another lost season as we try to build a team good enough to compete. As for quoting my previous post No it was not addressed, you missed the main point of it taking 70 plus against the mighty Ayr. Taking this long against Celtic would be acceptable, not against teams like Ayr.

We won’t improve fully till we have a proper upgrade in several positions. That won’t happen in this league. 

Taking 70 minutes is a acceptable to me, whether that’s against Ayr or anybody else. All teams, at times,  struggle against weak opposition who pack their defence and midfield. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Another one that is

:seething:

We won 2-0 and are now 8 unbeaten. 

The amount of "Hearts" fans that are angry after another win as we extend our lead and cement our instant promotion is beyond belief. 

I now honesty believe there are folk hoping we get beat just so they can push and champion their anti Robbie agenda. 

Hearts winning brings them no joy. None. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

So it wasn’tyou that said ‘

Having to wait until 70plus minutes for a goal against the might Ayr is totally unacceptable for players of their standard and remuneration.’

Seriously do you think players of our standard playing against teams like Ayr should be waiting 70 minutes plus to score? If we can't break down teams and score in this league how will we manage next season. It's no point saying we will have better players as it will take a while for new players to fit in and we don't have that luxury. 

We did break them down several times.  A mixture of good goalkeeping,  bad finishing and bad luck  kept it at 0 0 for so long.  We were far from brilliant  but we won comfortably.  

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Seriously do you think players of our standard playing against teams like Ayr should be waiting 70 minutes plus to score? If we can't break down teams and score in this league how will we manage next season. It's no point saying we will have better players as it will take a while for new players to fit in and we don't have that luxury. 

Which is why I asked how many minutes would be acceptable to you before we first scored? The players weren’t waiting 70 minutes to score, they tried to but failed prior to that. They scored twice in the regulation 90 minutes and didn’t concede. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Jimw44 said:

We did break them down several times.  A mixture of good goalkeeping,  bad finishing and bad luck  kept it at 0 0 for so long.  We were far from brilliant  but we won comfortably.  

Correct. 

10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ah got you now Tosh - you played at a “shit” level which makes you the top JKB football expert on here - that figures! 😂