Who Should Robbie Keep If We Get Promotion...... ? ( merged )

Agentjambo

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I think a fair degree of the failure has managed to be placed at Leveins door, e.g. Murray wanted Brophy, Levein didn't. There may also have been something about Uche's technical ability being under question and Levein pressing ahead anyway (I'm not sure about that one though, so genuinely, if someone knows different please correct me).

I would like to see a freshen up in the scouting department. It appears to be getting treated like a job for life, and considering how poorly we seem to perform in the transfer market and have done for several years, we could probably do with some new faces there. 

Is that not what the Savage appointment was meant to do?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Is that not what the Savage appointment was meant to do?

I think Savages appointment is to be the kind of all seeing eye in the football department, womens, academy, mens first team etc. I don't think his specific remit is recruitment, although if JM isn't up to task, I do suspect that will flag quickly with Savages background being in that area. 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think Savages appointment is to be the kind of all seeing eye in the football department, womens, academy, mens first team etc. I don't think his specific remit is recruitment, although if JM isn't up to task, I do suspect that will flag quickly with Savages background being in that area. 

Hopefully he'll be eased out. Still can't believe he's still here. 

SuperstarSteve
25 minutes ago, OTT said:

Savage is the reason Aaron McEneff signed with us so he must have some hand in recruitment. How much he’s involved though I’ve no idea. 

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

So JM will be doing well or he'll be out.

The main point is whether JM was good or bad, he will have less influence and will be further away from the final say.  How much fresher do we need to be?

There's plenty ex-players/coaches that could be assigned to recruit. Someone who goes to games each week/evening and keep tabs on talented prospects within Scotland. That would be a great gig. Get to watch lots of football and identify prospects for us. 

I also don't see why Hearts don't use our foreign ex-players for recruitment in their countries. Ask Stephane Adam to look out for players in France, Flogel in Austria and whoever else, wherever they are. Plenty of our ex-players live throughout Europe to get information and recommendations from. We might just bag a few cracking prospects doing this and also, these guys love the club and would sell it to players no bother. Get a few excellent players from abroad and sell on for an actual profit. Savage might be good at what he does but identifying players from League 1 and 2 down south may not improve our overall squad greatly.

I want anyone who blows hot and cold gone.  Much prefer a 100% trier of limited ability although don't want many of them either.

We need someone who can get the best out of our better players and that's clearly not Neilson.

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Hopefully he'll be eased out. Still can't believe he's still here. 

Was he not about to retire when JJ came back and he wanted him kept on?

11 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I want anyone who blows hot and cold gone.  Much prefer a 100% trier of limited ability although don't want many of them either.

We need someone who can get the best out of our better players and that's clearly not Neilson.

Like who?

On 15/02/2021 at 11:21, Agentjambo said:

So to think we could loose 12+ players it will be a massive squad rebuild in the summer? 

I think you mean lose - but we should let them loose lol

When we get promotion.....

The Balerno Buffon and John Souttar. Prayers for Haring to be physically okay, along with Souttar. Boyce to be built around and Kingsley is as good atm as the linking players on his side, improve them then he gets better. That's it, I think theres miles in Smith and Naismith is a great player but we need to acknowledge he cant be a starter every week and do something about it. Right now to be honest I think we might put up a very decent five a side team. Lots and lots too bring in......who do you trust to bring them?

Toxteth O'Grady

We shouldn't keep Robbie.

As far as players are concerned I'd only be bothered about keeping Gordon.

The rest are either meh or terrible.

7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Agreed

Also agreed

Disagree to an extent. 

Ex member of the SaS

I think Budge went for Robbie due the not knowing how things would pad out financially. We should have the resource to get a far better higher profile manager who then brings in better players. The whole system relies on a sum of parts, players who want to come and play for a certain managerial type, the finances to be able to pay them and a system of scouting that identifies decent players who fit our budget or are ending their current contracts. Everything starts at the top with a good CEO who will know or take advice on getting a good manager, that manager then identifies or takes advice from a good scout and then it's up to the sporting director to negotiate a good deal for that player. It's no good seeing a decent player if they don't or can't fit into a team structure or system/tactics. Only a good manger can identify players who will fit in and those who he knows he can mold into his system.

No. 

His football is utterly shite. Its literally a carbon copy of Levein. Over and above that he isn't interested in the youngsters despite professing to being keen to develop young players. If he stays we'll stretch our run of an under performing academy on for a full decade. I'd much rather cut our losses in the summer and spend the time putting together a genuine squad that is youth heavy with the right sort of experience. I can stomach 5th if we can see progress. As things stand, we're not seeing any sort of progress week to week and there isn't a youngster in sight of the youth team barring Irving who is running his deal down and Henderson who couldn't score in a brothel. 

I think the club should eat some humble pie and ask Stendel back. Having already dipped his toe in Scottish football he'll be much more street smart. There is actually a half decent squad there to build on and I think Robbie and his coaches aren't getting the best out of them. Certainly, what we're seeing is unacceptable and I think someone could get more out of them. What we are seeing is quite honestly disgraceful. If not Stendel then criteria wise, we should be looking for someone who wants to work with young players. Our football department lacks any sort of business plan. We're signing for the here and now and unfortunately guys like Popescu, Halliday*, GMS, etc. don't have any sell on potential but perhaps worse, they're not even setting standards. 

We're still trying to throw enough shite at the wall that it works and its just more of the same. I cannot stress enough how far I want Robbie away from the club. His football is terrible and there isn't a bright future with him, just more of the same Leveineque crap we've had served up to us for 7 ****ing years. 

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I think Budge went for Robbie due the not knowing how things would pad out financially. We should have the resource to get a far better higher profile manager who then brings in better players. The whole system relies on a sum of parts, players who want to come and play for a certain managerial type, the finances to be able to pay them and a system of scouting that identifies decent players who fit our budget or are ending their current contracts. Everything starts at the top with a good CEO who will know or take advice on getting a good manager, that manager then identifies or takes advice from a good scout and then it's up to the sporting director to negotiate a good deal for that player. It's no good seeing a decent player if they don't or can't fit into a team structure or system/tactics. Only a good manger can identify players who will fit in and those who he knows he can mold into his system.

If we go up then Robbie will be our manager for sure.....

• davemclaren changed the title to Who Should Robbie Keep If We Get Promotion...... ? ( merged )
Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, OTT said:

No. 

His football is utterly shite. Its literally a carbon copy of Levein. Over and above that he isn't interested in the youngsters despite professing to being keen to develop young players. If he stays we'll stretch our run of an under performing academy on for a full decade. I'd much rather cut our losses in the summer and spend the time putting together a genuine squad that is youth heavy with the right sort of experience. I can stomach 5th if we can see progress. As things stand, we're not seeing any sort of progress week to week and there isn't a youngster in sight of the youth team barring Irving who is running his deal down and Henderson who couldn't score in a brothel. 

I think the club should eat some humble pie and ask Stendel back. Having already dipped his toe in Scottish football he'll be much more street smart. There is actually a half decent squad there to build on and I think Robbie and his coaches aren't getting the best out of them. Certainly, what we're seeing is unacceptable and I think someone could get more out of them. What we are seeing is quite honestly disgraceful. If not Stendel then criteria wise, we should be looking for someone who wants to work with young players. Our football department lacks any sort of business plan. We're signing for the here and now and unfortunately guys like Popescu, Halliday*, GMS, etc. don't have any sell on potential but perhaps worse, they're not even setting standards. 

We're still trying to throw enough shite at the wall that it works and its just more of the same. I cannot stress enough how far I want Robbie away from the club. His football is terrible and there isn't a bright future with him, just more of the same Leveineque crap we've had served up to us for 7 ****ing years. 

Could you imagine the hilarity in Scottish football if we sacked the manager that made us top scorers in the country for most of this season so far and had us well clear at the top and cruising to the title, and replaced him with statistically possibly the worst manager in our history who took us to 4 pts adrift at the bottom and ultimately got us demoted. A guy who thought Joel Perrerra was playing well and didn't need dropped. Even Huddersfield or whoever he's on loan with now dropped him after one game and he hasn't been seen since

Edited by ToqueJambo

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Could you imagine the hilarity in Scottish football if we sacked the manager that made us top scorers in the country for most of this season so far and had us well clear at the top and cruising to the title, and replaced him with statistically possibly the worst manager in our history who took us to 4 pts adrift at the bottom and ultimately got us demoted. A guy who thought Joel Perrerra was playing well and didn't need dropped. Even Huddersfield or whoever he's on loan with now dropped him after one game and he hasn't been seen since

Levein signed Poppadum hands 

Along with multiple other players and squandered hundreds of thousands in the process

Presided over the worst period for the club in as far back as I can personally remember 

The Project which ultimately destroyed the club on the football side started back in 2014-15 and continued through to last year when the wheels had literally came off 

AB brought in RN and got rid of DS and as a result folk who could see no wrong in CL were vilified in that rather than having to hold their hero accountable, Ann gave them an outlet and someone else to blame because they can’t face the truth 

Now we have RN back and are playing brazilianesque football and we are still talking about major surgery and clear outs to go up a division again 

get over it 

you are right in that DS won’t be back. AB put paid to that very very quickly before he could prove folk like you wrong 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Levein signed Poppadum hands 

Along with multiple other players and squandered hundreds of thousands in the process

Presided over the worst period for the club in as far back as I can personally remember 

The Project which ultimately destroyed the club on the football side started back in 2014-15 and continued through to last year when the wheels had literally came off 

AB brought in RN and got rid of DS and as a result folk who could see no wrong in CL were vilified in that rather than having to hold their hero accountable, Ann gave them an outlet and someone else to blame because they can’t face the truth 

Now we have RN back and are playing brazilianesque football and we are still talking about major surgery and clear outs to go up a division again 

get over it 

you are right in that DS won’t be back. AB put paid to that very very quickly before he could prove folk like you wrong 

Er, wasn't talking about Levein but you bash on. Austin McPhee dropped that goalie pretty quick. As I said so did whoever manages Huddersfield - one game it took for him to make up his mind. Stendel not only reinstated him but continued to play him in game after game. That decision alone is the worst and most damaging personnel decision I've ever seen from a Hearts manager.

I really liked Stendel by the way - right manager wrong time *maybe*. Not sure how he would do breaking down these 10 man defences though and some of his signings were as iffy as any other manager we've had recently.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Er, wasn't talking about Levein but you bash on. As I say Austin McPhee dropped that goalie pretty quick. So did whoever manages Huddersfield. Stendel not only reinstated him but continued to play him in game after game. 

Well, if you think statistically he is the worst we have had, or can match up or compare to other managers we have had, without even taking into account his tenure or what he was dealing with at the time, then that’s sad in all honesty 

I know you weren’t talking about Levein. I  brought it up, to remind you that if you want to point fingers or feel aggrieved at where we are sitting now, after all that time, then thats where to look 

It was a mistake on Stendels part playing him, a big mistake, for sure. No argument there. That said His alternative at the time was to use Zlamal ... 

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Er, wasn't talking about Levein but you bash on. As I say Austin McPhee dropped that goalie pretty quick. So did whoever manages Huddersfield. Stendel not only reinstated him but continued to play him in game after game. 

Back on topic, apart from JS, PH (hopefully), CG, SK, JW, LB, AG, GMS, in all honesty, the rest we could lose 

That’s 8 players - it will have to be another big window - we are the only team who seemingly needs to have big transfer windows - we must have turned over more players than any other club in Scotland in recent times - that is a red flag in itself

Let’s see if JS can get involved or if his appointment changes things 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Back on topic, apart from JS, PH (hopefully), CG, SK, JW, LB, AG, GMS, in all honesty, the rest we could lose 

That’s 8 players - it will have to be another big window - we are the only team who seemingly needs to have big transfer windows - we must have turned over more players than any other club in Scotland in recent times - that is a red flag in itself

Let’s see if JS can get involved or if his appointment changes things 

Rangers, Hibs and ourselves all did big squad rebuilds after promotion. D Utd would have if it wasn't for the pandemic. The team Robbie mostly signed is actually performing OK in the top league position wise, aside from the new manager making Shankland worse.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Rangers, Hibs and ourselves all did big squad rebuilds after promotion. D Utd would have if it wasn't for the pandemic. The team Robbie mostly signed is actually performing OK in the top league position wise, aside from the new manager making Shankland worse.

Yes they did. However, we have churned more and more players since promotion, and since then, that if you were going to match the 3 clubs up, there would only be one winner 

we have another big re-build to come -  no question. If, by what you said, that when we go back up we challenge for the top Then major surgery will be required - that’s a cast iron guarantee 

We have nothing, at this point, certainly, that I can see, coming through from the academy, so this won’t help with numbers of players that will need to come in, not withstanding the amount that will need to leave 

Neil McCann had one training session with ICT the other day - one. I fully get our form dipping - that will happen, but there is no way, and unless something drastically, and I mean drastically, changes, on the park, that we will be ready to go and compete next season. That’s the direct concern. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Yes they did. However, we have churned more and more players since promotion, and since then, that if you were going to match the 3 clubs up, there would only be one winner 

we have another big re-build to come -  no question. If, by what you said, that when we go back up we challenge for the top Then major surgery will be required - that’s a cast iron guarantee 

We have nothing, at this point, certainly, that I can see, coming through from the academy, so this won’t help with numbers of players that will need to come in, not withstanding the amount that will need to leave 

Neil McCann had one training session with ICT the other day - one. I fully get our form dipping - that will happen, but there is no way, and unless something drastically, and I mean drastically, changes, on the park, that we will be ready to go and compete next season. That’s the direct concern. 

I honestly don't follow your thinking. Neilson is a new manager. Of course he'll do a complete rebuild to get his own team in place as soon as he can - whether that's this summer or later pandemic-depending.

He wasn't able to this summer like every manager due to the pandemic. We did what we could. How many players of Premiership quality want to play in a 27-game Championship when promotion might not even happen? He was signing players when we didn't even know IF the league would start. Did we even have a right to expect to bring in quality like Kingsley and Gordon and retain someone like Boyce? I'm actually surprised we did in the circumstances.

Of course we'll rebuild is the short answer. Same way we would have rebuilt post-pandemic if Stendel had stayed.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I honestly don't follow your thinking. Neilson is a new manager. Of course he'll do a complete rebuild to get his own team in place as soon as he can - whether that's this summer or later pandemic-depending.

He wasn't able to this summer like every manager due to the pandemic. We did what we could. How many players of Premiership quality want to play in a 27-game Championship when promotion might not even happen? He was signing players when we didn't even know IF the league would start. Did we even have a right to expect to bring in quality like Kingsley and Gordon and retain someone like Boyce? I'm actually surprised we did in the circumstances.

Of course we'll rebuild is the short answer. Same way we would have rebuilt post-pandemic if Stendel had stayed.

The fact that we are talking about a complete rebuild (again) after 6 years is what worries me. It’s the same every year, nothing changes apart from the reasons why. It Doesn’t matter who is doing it, but what’s the root cause and why is it happening.

I do not agree with your comment re GMS, Boycie or CG. (As examples) Regardless of where we are right now are you seriously telling me that as a player, if you are offered the opportunity to come to Hearts, you would turn them down for any other team in the SPL, outwith the OF,  if you were returning to Scotland ? I include the sheep and vermin in that argument - those with no ambition might but those with any ambition won’t or shouldn’t. 

Players that have any ambition want to play with the biggest clubs that they can and within their careers. Players like GMS and Boycie are here because they know that we are the 3rd biggest football institution in Scotland - by an absolute country mile - Apart from CG (as he is a supporter) that’s why the other players are with us now, and came to us in the first place. All GMS spoke about was not being able to wait to get the fans back in the ground and to experience the Tynecastle atmosphere 

No excuses - regardless of where we are playing our football, we are still a big catch and can attract a certain caliber of player as long as we recruit carefully - that wont change just because we are down a division 

It’s all there for us - infrastructure etc to go and compete at the very top. We just need people at the club who see this and command the right standards and hold the people accountable, from management, through to players and on the playing side of the club.

That’s where we are falling down - Our real potential as a club is still there. We just have to realise that potential and stop making excuses for the things that are being done and get it right on the football pitch. It isn’t a difficult scenario to comprehend, for any of us.

59 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Well, if you think statistically he is the worst we have had, or can match up or compare to other managers we have had, without even taking into account his tenure or what he was dealing with at the time, then that’s sad in all honesty 

I know you weren’t talking about Levein. I  brought it up, to remind you that if you want to point fingers or feel aggrieved at where we are sitting now, after all that time, then thats where to look 

It was a mistake on Stendels part playing him, a big mistake, for sure. No argument there. That said His alternative at the time was to use Zlamal ... 

He beat rangers as much as levein did in his short time here.  No way he was a worse manager for us than the loser. 

7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

He beat rangers as much as levein did in his short time here.  No way he was a worse manager for us than the loser. 

Levein never set out to lose lose deliberately. 

He just couldn’t see that he was failing miserably with what he was doing at the club. That’s all it was unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, lost in space said:

Daft thread - keep the players we did not list on the "who to get rid of" thread.

👍

Horrendously written thread title.  For starters.

Horrendously written follow-up post by the OP.

lost in space
6 minutes ago, gedster said:

Retain Craig Gordon, Boyce and the kit-man......everyone else ........not really bothered in the slightest if they stay or go

The kit man??

This guy gives jerseys to GMS, Halliday, Frear etc. He should be telling them their kit was lost in the wash.

I suppose GMS could say his kit did not need washed.

Kit man has to go - he is culpable.

6 minutes ago, lost in space said:

The kit man??

This guy gives jerseys to GMS, Halliday, Frear etc. He should be telling them their kit was lost in the wash.

I suppose GMS could say his kit did not need washed.

Kit man has to go - he is culpable.

Ha ha points well made!!

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

I hope it won't be his decision to make but fear it will be. 

This is the perfect opportunity for someone to grab the club by the scruff of the neck, change the approach, re-engage with the fans, give something back and energise the team.

Normally for that you need a decent manager and chairperson! A leader.

Need I say more?

I keep asking the same question and no one can answer it! No one even tries.

Budgie no longer owns the club. FoH are intentionally kept at arms length from the football decisions. The 'original' 25% shareholders seem elevated above FoH (even though their shares were worthless).

Who tells the so far anonymous Chief Executive what to do, what the future is, what isn't good enough? There seems clarity on what we can't do and smoke and mirrors around what we can!

Who is the King-maker?

Right now, for me, this is a structure for chaos. We are flying headlong into a crisis that can only result in a Hearts takeover once again, with a shiny new stand!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
20 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Agreed, and he’s almost 40 :rofl:

What a shambles we are. Like someone else said, John Murray seems to have lifetime employment with us. I wonder if we do annual appraisals. 

Robbie should keep

Frear

Roberts

Kastaneer

Halliday

Halkett

popescu

Henderson

and take them all to Stirling Albion with him. None of them, including Robbie, is good enough for Hearts in the top league.

Edited by JimmyCant