Who Should Robbie Keep If We Get Promotion...... ? ( merged )

Agentjambo

Just now, No Idle Talk said:

I hope this will be Christophe Berra's last season as a Hearts player but I am not convinced it will be.

I don’t think there’s any chance at all he’ll get another contract.  

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t think there’s any chance at all he’ll get another contract.  

I hope you are right but Berra and Neilson were team-mates at Hearts. It wouldn't shock me if Robbie convinced himself that Berra's experience would be an asset in the top division.

Just now, No Idle Talk said:

I hope you are right but Berra and Neilson were team-mates at Hearts. It wouldn't shock me if Robbie convinced himself that Berra's experience would be an asset in the top division.

I’d be fairly pissed off if that happened. Can’t see it tbh. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

What this guys says, not keen on May tho. 

May is a bit shite aye he has his good points. Sort of see something in him that makes me think he would be decent linking up with Boyce but I could be completely off the mark. 

Forgot about Kyle Turner. Would still quite like to get him in too.

My rule of thumb is to ask whether any particular player would attract interest from a similar sized or bigger club.  If the answer is probably not, they should be oot the door.

4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Quite a bit of work to do again I think. Here's the whole squad, those in bold I would definitely keep. 

IN/OUT:

Craig Gordon - best/2nd best keeper in the country

Michael Smith - already signed a new deal

Aidy White - handy to have in the squad. A real grafter. 

John Souttar - as long as his Achilles doesn't go again.

Peter Haring - undecided, needs to get back to previous levels. Currently a no for me.

Christophe Berra - thanks big man, but time's up.

Jamie Walker - starting to look interested. Decent enough squad player. 

Armand Gnanduillet - one good game, one pish game, but think he will be handy

Liam Boyce - top scorer... 

Ross Stewart - if he's willing to be 2nd choice, Stone 3rd. 

Steven Naismith - We were so much better when he came on v QoS. He'll retire here, and will move into coaching.

Andy Halliday - does the spade work, think he'll thrive with fans creating an atmosphere.

Gary Mackay-Steven - been a bit pish, but he's the real deal and I have no doubt will come good.

Aaron McEneff - looks the real deal. 

Andy Irving - only if he wants to. Not irreplaceable if he wants to leave but would be dissappointed. 

Stephen Kingsley - already signed a new deal

Loïc Damour - shite

Zdeněk Zlámal - see Berra

Elliott Frear - shite

Jamie Brandon - 3 cruciate injuries at 23 y/o. Lucky if he'll kick a ball again.

Craig Halkett - has his moments, think ultimately we should look to upgrade for next season, but keep him in the squad.

Mihai Popescu - don't think he'll be good enough for the Premiership and his mistakes will be more costly.

Gervane Kastaneer - undecided, haven't seen enough to make my mind up about him.

Josh Ginnelly - worth the gamble

Euan Henderson - not good enough

Scott McGill - would like to see more of him

LOANS: 

Olly Lee (on loan at Gillingham) - already leaving

Lewis Moore (on loan at Arbroath) - not good enough

Connor Smith (on loan at Cove Rangers) - undecided, might be worth giving a shot

Leeroy Makovora (on loan at Gala Fairydean Rovers) - don't see much in him

Jordan Roberts (on loan at Motherwell) - pish 

Sean Ward (on loan at Gala Fairydean Rovers) - don't know who he is

Craig Wighton (on loan at Dunfermline Athletic) - already leaving

Colin Doyle (on loan at Kilmarnock) - release

Harry Stone (on loan at Spartans) - promising young lad

Cammy Logan (on loan at Cove Rangers) - might do a job as backup/squad player

Jay Sandison (on loan at Linlithgow Rose) - don't see much in him

Leon Watson (on loan at Bonnyrigg Rose) - not sure

Harry Cochrane (on loan at Montrose) - see how he does in pre-season but have a feeling he's had his chance

Chris Hamilton (on loan at Stirling Albion) - usnure, don't know what he's like now that he's moved to midfield 

WISH LIST:

Judging by the current squad and those who will/should leave, we need around 8-10 players. We'll probably never sign any of these because most of them would be too sensible, but I would like...:

GK: Ross Stewart would be fine for me, would maybe consider Laidlaw (Ross County) if it doesn't work out.

CB: Ideally Stuart Findlay. Would take Hoban or Guthrie if not.

RB: Stephen O'Donnell would be nice. If not, Devlin or Fraser would be acceptable as backup to Smith.

CM: Alan Campbell please (replaces Lee), would also be cool to nick Irvine (replaces Haring) off the Hibees. Would still like Tshibola (replaces Damour) as well, so all three ideally.

R/LW: Thomas Robert (replaces Frear) and Connor McLennan (replaces Roberts) would be nice. Greg Kiltie (replaces Moore) would also be acceptable. 

ST: Might take Stevie May as an option coming off the bench (replaces Wighton) but he can be pish. Mentioned Aneke from Charlton a few times, still take him (replaces Henderson). 

I agree with most of this. I would let White leave - out of contract and not a first pick.
Haring will get better when he gets his fitness back, though this will probably be after the summer.

Popescu is ok for backup.

I’d keep all of the young players who are still in contract - this includes Henderson, plus Cochrane who needs more time.

I think Findlay and Campbell would be excellent signings, but not confident of either. We desperately need a new CB, but happy to let Savage/Neilson unearth a new gem if Findlay doesn’t join.

Other signings must be potentially better than what we have already - there’s no point bringing in players purely for cover. I don’t get the “we don’t need a RB, we’ve got Smith” attitude - if the opportunity arises to get a better RB we take it and Smith then provides cover for across the back and midfield from the bench. Obviously not top priority, but it should never be written off. Same goes for Boyce, Kingsley, etc... Gordon is probably the only one immune.

None of your other suggestions excite - If we’re taking players from other Scottish teams, I’d rather have fringe players from the OF than average Aberdeen ones. The likes of Mikey Johnston or Anthony Ralston are in need of being first team regulars which they won’t get the chance of at Celtic.

I would like to see our signing policy move to bring in younger players (22-26) rather than the 28-30s we have been signing recently. I think the age of the squad has a lot to do with our lack of energy in matches.

StevenNaismith
3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Why are you wanting rid of Logan and Watson, saying as their our best right back and left back prospects?

I don’t think either of them are good enough.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Quite a bit of work to do again I think. Here's the whole squad, those in bold I would definitely keep. 

IN/OUT:

Peter Haring - undecided, needs to get back to previous levels. Currently a no for me.

Steven Naismith - We were so much better when he came on v QoS. He'll retire here, and will move into coaching.

Andy Halliday - does the spade work, think he'll thrive with fans creating an atmosphere.

Gary Mackay-Steven - been a bit pish, but he's the real deal and I have no doubt will come good.

Andy Irving - only if he wants to. Not irreplaceable if he wants to leave but would be dissappointed. 

Loïc Damour - shite

Elliott Frear - shite

Jamie Brandon - 3 cruciate injuries at 23 y/o. Lucky if he'll kick a ball again.

Craig Halkett - has his moments, think ultimately we should look to upgrade for next season, but keep him in the squad.

Mihai Popescu - don't think he'll be good enough for the Premiership and his mistakes will be more costly.

Gervane Kastaneer - undecided, haven't seen enough to make my mind up about him.

LOANS: 

Connor Smith (on loan at Cove Rangers) - undecided, might be worth giving a shot

Harry Cochrane (on loan at Montrose) - see how he does in pre-season but have a feeling he's had his chance

Chris Hamilton (on loan at Stirling Albion) - usnure, don't know what he's like now that he's moved to midfield 

WISH LIST:

Judging by the current squad and those who will/should leave, we need around 8-10 players. We'll probably never sign any of these because most of them would be too sensible, but I would like...:

GK: Ross Stewart would be fine for me, would maybe consider Laidlaw (Ross County) if it doesn't work out.

RB: Stephen O'Donnell would be nice. If not, Devlin or Fraser would be acceptable as backup to Smith.

CM: Alan Campbell please (replaces Lee), would also be cool to nick Irvine (replaces Haring) off the Hibees. Would still like Tshibola (replaces Damour) as well, so all three ideally.

R/LW: Thomas Robert (replaces Frear) and Connor McLennan (replaces Roberts) would be nice. Greg Kiltie (replaces Moore) would also be acceptable. 

ST: Might take Stevie May as an option coming off the bench (replaces Wighton) but he can be pish. Mentioned Aneke from Charlton a few times, still take him (replaces Henderson). 

Hard to disagree with any of this although I don't know enough about the young players.

The key to any team is the spine -

GK (sorted)

CBs (we'll need two new)

CM (up for grabs - AMc has the chance to show what he can do and Haring and Irving are up in the air. You'd think 2 out of 3 of them could do a good job in the Prem)

Striker (sorted with Boyce, but would need at least one new - maybe two depending on Gnaduilett)

So there will definitely be work to do to fill the CB and CM positions. The rest of the squad will need beefing up in terms of the overall quality. I'm happy with the FBs. Who knows with the wingers. Ginnelly and GMS could be great or terrible/injured. I think we'd need one more. Walker and Naismith are experienced options at the Premiership level. I guess a lot will depend on the economic situation and whether the pandemic is behind us.

3 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

No doubting his ability at all, if we are talking about him as a striker........he isn’t a turd polisher or a magician, ill give you that. I think it’s best for everyone at the club if he plays as a striker. He’s a natural finisher, and someone who I think would work well with Boyce up top. I think we need his leadership on the park but that leadership is only positive if he is impacting games and I don’t think he does that from deep. 

What are the managers tactics if not the slow side to side passages we see? Our game is all about possession. If that’s not his instructions and not his way of playing, why do we see it every week? My big problem isn’t the possession based football, it’s the fact that when it doesn’t work or isn’t carried out to his instructions, he doesn’t change it. At half time he changed nothing, by the end of the 90 minutes he had changed nothing shape wise. We finished 4231 and started 4231, we just rotated the players that came on to fit them into the system. On Saturday we will line up, 4231 but this time the big man will go up top and Boyce will play the 10, something that didn’t really work at Ayr either. He’ll play GMS even tho he hasn’t done much and he’ll stick with Halliday and Irving in the middle although I am hopeful of McEneff being close to starting. My big fear with McEneff is he’ll drop Irving for him and stick with Halliday. 

Ok. So Naismith isn’t the problem it’s Neilson. It would appear we are in agreement then.

6 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

IN/OUT:

Loïc Damour - shite

Elliott Frear - shite

LOANS: 

WISH LIST:

Great post.

2 hours ago, BervieJambo said:

I agree with most of this. I would let White leave - out of contract and not a first pick.
Haring will get better when he gets his fitness back, though this will probably be after the summer.

Popescu is ok for backup.

I’d keep all of the young players who are still in contract - this includes Henderson, plus Cochrane who needs more time.

I think Findlay and Campbell would be excellent signings, but not confident of either. We desperately need a new CB, but happy to let Savage/Neilson unearth a new gem if Findlay doesn’t join.

Other signings must be potentially better than what we have already - there’s no point bringing in players purely for cover. I don’t get the “we don’t need a RB, we’ve got Smith” attitude - if the opportunity arises to get a better RB we take it and Smith then provides cover for across the back and midfield from the bench. Obviously not top priority, but it should never be written off. Same goes for Boyce, Kingsley, etc... Gordon is probably the only one immune.

None of your other suggestions excite - If we’re taking players from other Scottish teams, I’d rather have fringe players from the OF than average Aberdeen ones. The likes of Mikey Johnston or Anthony Ralston are in need of being first team regulars which they won’t get the chance of at Celtic.

I would like to see our signing policy move to bring in younger players (22-26) rather than the 28-30s we have been signing recently. I think the age of the squad has a lot to do with our lack of energy in matches.

On the fence about White. Kinda feel like he's done nothing wrong and puts a shift in any time he plays, so probably deserves to stay on... But I am wondering if it's worth if we take the opportunity to empty a fringe player and bring in someone who will actually actively compete for a place in the team. All depends on budgets. He'll be an OK, cheap option. 

Totally agree that if there's a player available, willing, in budget, and is an upgrade on someone we already have, we go for it. This is one of the worst teams we've had in a while and I would be tempted to suggest that absolutely nobody is irreplaceable (apart from Gordon, whom we won't improve on).

I think the budget next season will be focused on smoothing over the cracks, filling the squad with use able, decent players, and then we work on some upgrades.

Edited by Batistuta87

From the out of contract list, keep Irving and wouldn't mind keeping Stewart to be a backup/3rd keeper as he seems to be a well liked lad. I fear it will be difficult to shift some of the contracted duds we have but ideally Damour is sold/released.

WheatfieldWarrior
9 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Is he not a loan signing from Coventry? We haven't got him on a permanent dea.l The same applies to Ginnelly although I know there are strong rumours we are going to sign him at the end of his loan deal as he is available.

You could call it extend their stay at the club, but yes, as you say, these are both loans, who would need an extended loan deal or a permanent contract as appropriate.

WheatfieldWarrior
10 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Would be ridiculous to offer Berra a new contract.

He could be offered a backup player / coach role - like I say, I think it's a maybe.

No time for sentiment if we want to compete at the top of the table. Get rid of the players who have made mistakes and been a major part in the loser mentality within the club, along with those who are simply not good enough. 

Get Rid of:

Zlamal, Doyle, Brandon, Halkett, Popescu, Berra, Damour, Lee (confirmed) Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer (loan ends), Henderson, Moore, Wighton (confirmed) 

21/22 Squad:

Goalies - Gordon, Stewart (sign permanently) & Stone

Right backs - Smith and Logan

Left backs - Kingsley and White/Watson/New backup left back

Centre backs - Souttar (need at least 2 new centre backs) 

Centre midfielders - Irving (contract pending), Halliday, McEneff, Haring, McGill and Cochrane (contract pending and unsure what will happen to him) 

Wingers - Ginnelly (sign permanently), GMS + sign 2 new wingers 

Attacking midfielders - Walker, McEneff and Connor Smith 

Strikers - Boyce, Gnanduillet and Naismith (can only play striker these days imo), would quite like another striker with a bit of pace 

Transfer business list so far:

Ross Stewart on a permanent 

2 new centre backs minimum (E.g Stuart Findlay) 

Josh Ginnelly on a permanent + 2 other new wingers 

Then any others depend on whether we get any offers, players don’t get renewed such as White, or certain opportunities arise such as Alan Campbell or Ali McCann. One player I really like the look of is Hakeem Odoffin, a defensive midfielder from Hamilton (out of contract in the summer and is 22) and I think we are quite soft in the middle of the park. 

Like last time we won the Championship, Neilson changed the squad quite a lot so I expect (hope) that to be the same in the summer 

8 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

He could be offered a backup player / coach role - like I say, I think it's a maybe.

Christ no. Berra is done at Hearts. It's not his pace letting him down like everyone automatically says with an older player, its his reactions. He just can't seem to stick out a leg or quickly step out to nick the ball as well as he used to and he looks really easy to beat from an attackers' point of view. I'm not even sure its an age thing and in fact I'm pretty confident it isn't - its been since he tore his hammy.

The following should leave;

Berra - High Wage, Low performer. Physically looks beyond him now.

Naismith - Massive Wage, middling performer. Not first choice in either of his favored positions. Terrible midfielder.

Haring - Still hope he gets a run before season end and can convince he is still the same player.

White - Waste of a wage if he cannot compete for Left back / midfield in the Championship.

Stewart - Journeyman pro - let Stone step into no.2 role.

Damour - Massive wage, no performances. Probably better than some options but obvious his time is over.

Halliday - Decent wage?, middling performances. Would he be happy to play back up next year. Because  if he is starting then we are in trouble. Offer him a way out.

Frear - Very bad.

Roberts - Very bad. 

Popescu / Halkett - Could easily allow at least one to move on if we recruit in this area / Souttar returns. Neither good enough for upper end Prem.

15 hours ago, andythejambo said:

You not been watching Burnley lately ?, Dunne playing / in squad most weeks.  No way we could afford the transfer or wages of a Premier League player on a permanent deal.

He played at the start of the season, first couple of games but has been out of it since (unless he's been an unused sub). Think his manager wanted him out on loan again 'til his contract ran down in summer. Don't know if he has went somewhere or still at Burnley (haven't been watching too closely) but if he is available on a free you can but try. If you lose 3 or 4 of the hangers-on at Hearts that should help towards a wage. Nothing's impossible, hard yes but not impossible. As the old saying goes, you don't ask, you don't get.

You need a squad and we can't afford to bin players under contract.

I think we've got the basis of a decent squad, we just need to sign some first choice quality at CB, CM and Wide Attacking areas. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think we've got the basis of a decent squad, we just need to sign some first choice quality at CB, CM and Wide Attacking areas. 

We've binned players under contract before. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Where do you think we will finish next season with these additions? 

13 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We've binned players under contract before. 

We can move on one or two but suggesting that we move on players that would be reasonable squad players is just daft and unrealistic as we'd need to replace them with other squad players. 

12 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Where do you think we will finish next season with these additions? 

I think if we were to put our resources into signing 4 or 5 quality first choice players at CB, CM and Attacking Wide positions, we could be good enough for top 3/4.

Our squads not too bad, we just need a bit more quality. 

Edited by Cruyff

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We can move on one or two but suggesting that we move on players that would be reasonable squad players is just daft and unrealistic as we'd need to replace them with other squad players. 

I think if we were to put our resources into signing 4 or 5 quality first choice players at CB, CM and Attacking Wide positions, we could be good enough for top 3/4.

Our squads not too bad, we just need a bit more quality. 

Who out of our starting eleven on Friday would make it into the Aberdeen side for example? Just interested...

4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Who out of our starting eleven on Friday would make it into the Aberdeen side for example? Just interested...

I don't know who's in Aberdeens XI these days but we've beaten Hibs with what was probably a weaker XI than what we had on Friday and they're better than Aberdeen are. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't know who's in Aberdeens XI these days but we've beaten Hibs with what was probably a weaker XI than what we had on Friday and they're better than Aberdeen are. 

I don't think that's how it works. 

I don't think that's how it works. 

I reckon we're more than capable of beating Aberdeen with the current squad. 

16 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

😂😂😂

You think we wouldn't beat Aberdeen? :lol:We tanked them twice last season ffs with the most shambolic hearts squad in history. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You think we wouldn't beat Aberdeen? :lol:We tanked them twice last season ffs with the most shambolic hearts squad in history. 

We can't beat QoS Ffs. 

21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Let's hope Dunfermline don't get promoted. 😁

17 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We can't beat QoS Ffs. 

We can likes. I seen us hammer them a few weeks ago. We are playing shite right now and creating nothing. That needs to change but managers need time to make things work. 

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Gordon smith Kingsley GMS Boyce 

and next season will see Aberdeen fall down the league they will need to cut the wage bill by 25% IMO at least 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We can likes. I seen us hammer them a few weeks ago. We are playing shite right now and creating nothing. That needs to change but managers need time to make things work. 

As I see it we either have to buy better quality players and a good few of them or the coach has to go for us to be anywhere near 3rd or 4th next season. 

Just now, Kyle1874 said:

Gordon smith Kingsley GMS Boyce 

and next season will see Aberdeen fall down the league they will need to cut the wage bill by 25% IMO at least 

Oh that's OK then...we don't have to improve if other teams are getting worse. 

So we need another 6 players of that quality to even think about finishing in the top 3 or 4.

28 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We can't beat QoS Ffs. 

Generally the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers etc.. Don't park the bus on the edge of their own box when they play us, that's why we took points of them last season and why we beat Hibs and competed with Celtic this season. 

Any team in this league that tries to go toe to toe with us would get skelped without question. 

Our problem is breaking teams down. It was the case last season and has been again this season. 👍

Edited by Cruyff

As I see it we either have to buy better quality players and a good few of them or the coach has to go for us to be anywhere near 3rd or 4th next season. 

It’s not the quality of the players that is the problem imo. We have far too many players with no real pace and plenty who either don’t have the motivation or the engine to do it for 90 minutes often enough. Some of that might be the coaching, most of it could be resolved by 3-4 quality signings with the right attitude and drive, imo obviously. 

6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

So we need another 6 players of that quality to even think about finishing in the top 3 or 4.

You never know if Haring finds his feet again. Maybe get Ginnelly back and fit. Not sure I’d stick GMS on the list...yet but not all doom and gloom. Some players will probably look better with the crowds allowed back in as well. 

35 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

You said out of the starting 11 who would get in the sheep’s team out of or squad there would be more 

As for bringing players in am sure we will be adding a few next season 

ScottishSandstorm

Leave: Zlamal, Berra, White, Damour, Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer (too early to say if we should or can sign him permanently), Moore, Lee, Wighton, Doyle

Youth players leaving: Sandison, Makovora, Ward

Sign permanently/extend: Ginnelly, Stewart, Irving

Fringe players (potential loans): McGill, C.Smith, Cochrane, Hamilton, Watson, Logan, Stone, Kirk, Flatman

Sign: CB (ideally left-sided), 1 back-up RB, 2 CMs, 2 wingers (one that can also play striker)

CB wishlist: Findlay, Murray Wallace, Guthrie, McCart, Kerr

Long shot bids: Dunne, Gallagher, McIntyre

If we miss on all of the above: Iacovitti, Euan Murray

Back-up RB to compete with Cammy Logan in pre-season: Hume or Ballyntyne (Montrose)

Potentially a back-up LB to compete with Watson pre-season: Edwards, Harper, Robson

CM wishlist: Campbell, McCann, Turner, Polworth, Hendry, Tshibola

Winger: Robert, MacGregor, Chalmers, Alan Forrest, Appere, McCowan (Ayr)

More experienced winger: G. Stewart, Jordan Jones, Kiltie

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This gives us a team where there are competition for places all over the field:

GK: Gordon/Stewart/Stone

LB: Kingsley/Halliday/Watson/Brandon

RB: Smith/Brandon/Logan/Hume

CB: Souttar/Findlay/Halkett/Popescu/Haring/Flatman (also Smith and Kingsley)

CM: Campbell/Irving/McEneff/McCann/Haring/Halliday/McGill/Cochrane/C.Smith/Hamilton/Flatman

WM: GMS/Ginnelly/Robert/Stewart/McCann/Henderson

CAM: Walker/Naismith/Stewart/McEneff/McCann/Ginnelly/Robert/C.Smith/Henderson/Kirk

ST: Boyce/Gnanduillet/Naismith/Stewart/Ginnelly/Kirk/Henderson

Edited by ScottishSandstorm

58 minutes ago, ScottishSandstorm said:

Leave: Zlamal, Berra, White, Damour, Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer (too early to say if we should or can sign him permanently), Moore, Lee, Wighton, Doyle

Youth players leaving: Sandison, Makovora, Ward

Sign permanently/extend: Ginnelly, Stewart, Irving

Fringe players (potential loans): McGill, C.Smith, Cochrane, Hamilton, Watson, Logan, Stone, Kirk, Flatman

Sign: CB (ideally left-sided), 1 back-up RB, 2 CMs, 2 wingers (one that can also play striker)

CB wishlist: Findlay, Murray Wallace, Guthrie, McCart, Kerr

Long shot bids: Dunne, Gallagher, McIntyre

If we miss on all of the above: Iacovitti, Euan Murray

Back-up RB to compete with Cammy Logan in pre-season: Hume or Ballyntyne (Montrose)

Potentially a back-up LB to compete with Watson pre-season: Edwards, Harper, Robson

CM wishlist: Campbell, McCann, Turner, Polworth, Hendry, Tshibola

Winger: Robert, MacGregor, Chalmers, Alan Forrest, Appere, McCowan (Ayr)

More experienced winger: G. Stewart, Jordan Jones, Kiltie

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This gives us a team where there are competition for places all over the field:

GK: Gordon/Stewart/Stone

LB: Kingsley/Halliday/Watson/Brandon

RB: Smith/Brandon/Logan/Hume

CB: Souttar/Findlay/Halkett/Popescu/Haring/Flatman (also Smith and Kingsley)

CM: Campbell/Irving/McEneff/McCann/Haring/Halliday/McGill/Cochrane/C.Smith/Hamilton/Flatman

WM: GMS/Ginnelly/Robert/Stewart/McCann/Henderson

CAM: Walker/Naismith/Stewart/McEneff/McCann/Ginnelly/Robert/C.Smith/Henderson/Kirk

ST: Boyce/Gnanduillet/Naismith/Stewart/Ginnelly/Kirk/Henderson

Gone to US

I hate the way we seem to have a revolving door when it comes to signing players. It is baffling to me that successive managers have been allowed to sign so many players... and then so quickly want to offload them again when they aren't deemed good enough. Fair enough, occasionally we need to take a punt on a player and it might not always work but the large number of flops reflects really badly on the scouts and manager.

I would love to see us stick with a group of players for a few seasons, blooding youngsters and making a maximum two signings per window to replace older players or players who are sold. Build a team rather than a bunch of individuals and improve them through coaching. 

The recent signings look decent enough particularly Gnanduillet and McEneff. But it's hard to see what formation Robbie wants to play and how these guys fit into that. 

SomethingAboutObua

All the players we said should have left in summer are still the guys we need to leave, all the players we said need to stay in summer are the guys we need to stay. 

2 players my opinion has changed on, Haring and White. Not fussed if White goes but he's certainly improved a lot so would be happy if he stayed.

Haring, wtf has he got to do to get a game again? More going on than one bad game clearly, if he's still injured we need to move him on unfortunately. Would much rather he was starting over Halliday and had him or Irving moulded to fit the other.

ScottishSandstorm
15 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Gone to US

I guess we have to move on to other targets. Guthrie or one of the St.Johnstone CBs. The only consolation is that they will be cheaper.

1 hour ago, ScottishSandstorm said:

I guess we have to move on to other targets. Guthrie or one of the St.Johnstone CBs. The only consolation is that they will be cheaper.

Kerr and Gordon are among a very small number of St Johnstone players who aren't out of contract at the end of the season so we'd need to pay a fee and I think there are some better options out there for free. 

After Findlay, these are my next choices (in order of personal preference):

Jimmy Dunne (23, Burnley) - obviously

Tom McIntyre (22, Reading) - although I would be massively surprised if they weren't trying to keep him

Toto Nsiala (28, Ipswich) - big 6'4" Congolese unit but £££?

Aleksander Milosevic (29, free agent) - strangely released by Notts Forrest a while back despite being one of their better players

Declan Gallagher (30, Motherwell) - although apparently heading to Parkhead

Murray Wallace (28, Millwall) - apparently a Jambo but £££££

Tomie Hoban (27, Aberdeen) - decent signing on a free I think

Richard Nartey (22, Burnley) - Chelsea academy graduate (£££?)

Kean Bryan (22, Sheff Utd) - Man City academy graduate (£££?)

Edited by Batistuta87

If /when we win promotion we are going to have another rebuilding job for the millionth time how many more times can this go on wasting money.

Toxteth O'Grady

Budge needs to go. All her lackies like the anonymous CEO too. A massive clear out of all the unnecessary hangers on is needed too. 

On 16/02/2021 at 23:49, gnasher75 said:

I hate the way we seem to have a revolving door when it comes to signing players. It is baffling to me that successive managers have been allowed to sign so many players... and then so quickly want to offload them again when they aren't deemed good enough. Fair enough, occasionally we need to take a punt on a player and it might not always work but the large number of flops reflects really badly on the scouts and manager.

I would love to see us stick with a group of players for a few seasons, blooding youngsters and making a maximum two signings per window to replace older players or players who are sold. Build a team rather than a bunch of individuals and improve them through coaching. 

The recent signings look decent enough particularly Gnanduillet and McEneff. But it's hard to see what formation Robbie wants to play and how these guys fit into that. 

John Murray is still the chief scout. How has he managed to keep his job for all of these years ?

2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Does anybody have any idea what the current situation with Damour is

Been told to find a new club but nothing happened during the January window. Assuming we're lumped with him til the end of the season and that we'll be very actively trying to get him shifted then.

Edited by Batistuta87

On 20/02/2021 at 23:47, jr ewing said:

John Murray is still the chief scout. How has he managed to keep his job for all of these years ?

I think a fair degree of the failure has managed to be placed at Leveins door, e.g. Murray wanted Brophy, Levein didn't. There may also have been something about Uche's technical ability being under question and Levein pressing ahead anyway (I'm not sure about that one though, so genuinely, if someone knows different please correct me).

I would like to see a freshen up in the scouting department. It appears to be getting treated like a job for life, and considering how poorly we seem to perform in the transfer market and have done for several years, we could probably do with some new faces there. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Who Should Robbie Keep If We Get Promotion...... ? ( merged )