Super Bowl LV

graygo

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yaaas, it’s an incredible game, a giant game of chess. Too many people just don’t give it a chance, just blab on about too many adverts. They honestly don’t even bother me that much now, so used to it. It gives you a good chance to grab another beer from the fridge. I don’t know if you do NFL fantasy Locky, but that takes your fix up another level, keeps you going until the draft and through to the new season. I ####ing love NFL, obsessed with it.  Hope it’s a great Super Bowl and hope Mahomes and the Chiefs win. #### Brady, well not Giselle...wait

:hartley:

You're spot on. Since I've told people I like watching it, I've only really had folk scoff at it. The same people though who probably claim American's couldn't understand 'soccer'. 

I didn't really get into watching NFL til about week 6 or 7 so didn't bother with the Fantasy, but I'll definitely give it a go next season.

Honestly, a Sunday evening knowing you've got the Monday off, NFL on TV and beer in the fridge, is one of those true simple pleasures in life.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• neilnunb

• NANOJAMBO

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Cade said:

NFL is hard to get into as there are so many rules and nuances and because the action all happens in the blink of an eye.

Once you've seen pundits explain it all in freeze frame and slow-mo a few times it click and you understand the art of it.

The TLDR is that (a bit like rugby league's 5th tackle rule), each time has 4 tackles (or "downs") to move the ball 10 yards, then they get another 4 attempts to move it another 10 yards.
A field goal is worth 3 points, a Touchdown is worth 6 then they can choose an extra 1 point kicked conversion or run it in again for a 2 point conversion.

If you can somehow tackle the team in possession inside their own end zone then you get a 2-point "safety" score but those are rare.

There are, but I told myself not to get too bogged down on it. There is a lot going on, but it does become clear like you say, when you just let the commentators do their job. I tried to just keep up with the ball, and figure what the teams are trying to do with it, and the rest comes in time.

Shanks said no
34 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

They're replaying the 20 best SB commercials on the NFL Channel right now, funny as ...... 

We get stuck with the shitey, regular Canadian ones. 😠

I have always wanted to watch an American version of the SB, adverts and all, might try a stream

The HD version on Hesgoals is CBS, non HD is BBC

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Right. Time for my annual attempt to get all the way through the game. 
Which is the best channel to watch it on in terms of quality of pundits and explanations etc? BBC or Sky? 

Just now, Tazio said:

Right. Time for my annual attempt to get all the way through the game. 
Which is the best channel to watch it on in terms of quality of pundits and explanations etc? BBC or Sky? 

I usually watch it on BBC.

Riddley Walker

Right. Gonna stay up and watch the first American football game in my puff. 

I've no idea what is supposed to happen. How long are the games? 

Usually out on the piss to watch it and struggle to stay awake but in the house with beer and enough snacks to hopefully keep me up.

Chiefs are great and hate the Pats - and therefore Brady - but after Andy Reid’s sons incident this week (he’s linebackers coach at the chiefs, drunk driving, crashed and put a kid in intensive care) I hope the Bucs do it. 

Started off on Sky but switched to BBC...

Mind you, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. Knew I should have taken a nap earlier.

😭😁

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

According to the internet, which never lies, the average game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes of which 11 minute is actual time when the game is underway :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

4 Quarters of 15 minutes each.

So, about 3 hours

:look:

J.T.F.Robertson
10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I have always wanted to watch an American version of the SB, adverts and all, might try a stream

We get CBS coverage of the game, just excluding their commercials. Occasionally, they're the best part of it. ;)

Riddley Walker

This pre-show is ****ing horrendous. 

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

According to the internet, which never lies, the average game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes of which 11 minute is actual time when the game is underway :laugh:

Just now, Cade said:

4 Quarters of 15 minutes each.

So, about 3 hours

:look:

**** that. I was wondering why the coverage was on til 3!

This pre-show entertainment is one of the worst things I've ever seen. 

14 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Got CBS on IPTV. :jjyay: 

7 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Welcome man! Hope you enjoy it. Games tend to be about 3 hours all in, but I expect with the half time show, it might be a wee bit longer. Reckon about 3.30-4 will be the end but could be wrong.

"politics has no place on the football field" say people when complaining about taking a knee

And totally ignoring all the bods in uniform and multiple nationalist anthems and armed forces recruiting at every game :rofl:

Just now, Captain Slog said:

Butchering isn't the word for it

Eric Church (who he ?) and Jazmine soembody ?

Dafuq? - as my kids would say.

Hilariously bad. 

Does anybody just get up and sing the national anthem without the multitude of bullshittery? Sorry - don't know the appropriate musical terminology.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

How to discourage in one easy lesson. ;)  (not far off the mark, right enough)

This is the kind of shit you'd expect from North Korea or China. You know, one of the countries that the US probably claim to be evil?

11 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Probably get a quickfire Mafia game fitted in between KO and final whistle...

1 minute ago, Locky said:

This is the kind of shit you'd expect from North Korea or China. You know, one of the countries that the US probably claim to be evil?

Florida is the N Korea of the US. Absolute pit of humanity. 

Riddley Walker
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Got CBS on IPTV. :jjyay: 

Welcome man! Hope you enjoy it. Games tend to be about 3 hours all in, but I expect with the half time show, it might be a wee bit longer. Reckon about 3.30-4 will be the end but could be wrong.

Cheers man. I'm off work tomorrow and started on beers at the Liverpool game so the chances of me staying awake past 1am are highly unlikely 😁 Will give it a shot until I crash out though. 

20 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

BBC doesn’t look like SD to me. Most definitely not in the studio. 

Riddley Walker
2 minutes ago, Boof said:

Probably get a quickfire Mafia game fitted in between KO and final whistle...

30 minute deadline 🤔🤔🤔

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Florida is the N Korea of the US. Absolute pit of humanity. 

Was sort of explaining that to my Mrs earlier. A place where a lot of folk I know have went to several times for the theme parks, but aside from them, it's proper redneck country I believe.

Just now, Riddley Walker said:

30 minute deadline 🤔🤔🤔

Might rustle up some new recruits from this thread... :whistling: 

1 minute ago, Riddley Walker said:

Cheers man. I'm off work tomorrow and started on beers at the Liverpool game so the chances of me staying awake past 1am are highly unlikely 😁 Will give it a shot until I crash out though. 

Ooft mate, you've no chance. :rofl:

Took me a good few weeks of getting into the sport before I started dabbling in bevvy during a game. If the ad-breaks don't send you to sleep, the half time show will.

Right I’m going to support Kansas as I spent an hour there once and I don’t like Florida (never been there, hatred based on nothing but films). 

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Was sort of explaining that to my Mrs earlier. A place where a lot of folk I know have went to several times for the theme parks, but aside from them, it's proper redneck country I believe.

"Florida man" is a thing. 

Anyways, shit got real. Toss is done. Game on. 

Should start in about 30 minutes 😄

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Right I’m going to support Kansas as I spent an hour there once and I don’t like Florida (never been there, hatred based on nothing but films). 

Kansas City Chiefs are not from Kansas :ninja:

Riddley Walker

The only place in US I've been is Florida. 

However I've had a few American mates when living abroad and they all unequivocally say that Florida is not a nice place. 

I'll go the the other guys. 

3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Kansas City Chiefs are not from Kansas :ninja:

I know. See my post mocking Trump earlier in the thread. 
I should have clarified and said I spent an hour in Kansas City (not the wee shitty one in Kansas) 

Edited by Tazio

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

At school in Edinburgh in the 70s we had 3 brothers who were Chiefs fans. I'm supporting the Chiefs tonight. 

Florida, apart from the Cubans, is full of tossers. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I should have clarified and said I spent and hour in Kansas City (not the wee shitty one in Kansas) 

It's not so bad if you include the suburbs of KC, Kansas does have the richest county in the country that's all suburbs of the city.

1 minute ago, Riddley Walker said:

Are folk getting subbed on and off every time it stops? 

Yep, rolling subs is a thing, there's a game playing squad of 53 players to pick from(!)

Edited by Cade

Just now, Riddley Walker said:

Are folk getting subbed on and off every time it stops? 

Pretty much...offence/defence etc. Also got a guy who does nowt but kick 😄

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I should have clarified and said I spent and hour in Kansas City (not the wee shitty one in Kansas) 

Pedantry is my superpower.