Super Bowl LV

graygo

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Well that was one sided. 

Amazing feat by Brady to individually have more SB wins than any team. 

Is there any other team sport where one person can have so much influence over a club's performance?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• neilnunb

• NANOJAMBO

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 151 said:

Managed to last 'til somewhere through the 3rd quarter, seen it go 31-9 and woke this morning to check and finished that way.

Thoroughly enjoyed it tbh, had to google downs meaning and all that but got to grips with it all fairly quickly. 

If folk who know the sport are saying that was a shite game then I think its something I could get into. 100%.

Don't know how I go about picking a team though, probably just pick a good name. Seen loads of Raiders gear on folk over last few years so probably stay clear of them.

I've been watching it for 35+ years and, yeah, it was a pretty shite game if it's the first one you've watched. The recent Superbowls have all been closer and more exciting.

I picked my team back in the 80's because I liked dolphins and they had a player called Dan Marino who I saw on C4 highlights that was amazing to watch (Mahomes is his modern day equivalant IMO...just not in last night's game!).

35+ years of watching though, and I've never seem my Dolphins go back to a Superbowl 😭

There's always next year though! That's one of the good things about the NFL too, you can always have hope that your team will come good due to the salary cap and the college football draft.

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I wonder how much the kickers earn? And does the field kick guy get paid more then the punt guy? 

There's a Scottish ex-rugby player that plays for Cleveland called Jamie Gillan that's a punter. He gets just under $1m a season just to come on a few times a game to boot the ball as far as he can up the pitch....Berra could probably get a gig in the NFL!

12 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

There's a Scottish ex-rugby player that plays for Cleveland called Jamie Gillan that's a punter. He gets just under $1m a season just to come on a few times a game to boot the ball as far as he can up the pitch....Berra could probably get a gig in the NFL!

I am sure one of the Hasting brothers went over to the NFL too. 

I didn't think the game was shite tbh, still plenty in there to keep me entertained. Never gonna get Falcons/Eagles type wins every year.

Shite was Rams v Patriots.

35 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Berra could easily get a game for the Chiefs. He gives away enough penalties.

Amazing feat again by Brady and also by his partner in crime Gronkowski, who has been fantastic as well, linking up with Brady at Patriots and the Bucs

26 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I am sure one of the Hasting brothers went over to the NFL too. 

gavin played one season for the scottish claymores in the euro type league rather than nfl

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

I've been watching it for 35+ years and, yeah, it was a pretty shite game if it's the first one you've watched. The recent Superbowls have all been closer and more exciting.

I picked my team back in the 80's because I liked dolphins and they had a player called Dan Marino who I saw on C4 highlights that was amazing to watch (Mahomes is his modern day equivalant IMO...just not in last night's game!).

35+ years of watching though, and I've never seem my Dolphins go back to a Superbowl 😭

There's always next year though! That's one of the good things about the NFL too, you can always have hope that your team will come good due to the salary cap and the college football draft.

Funny you mention the Dolphins as when I was typing my message I thought of them, mainly because I like their colours :lol:.

I remember Dan Marino's name from Ace Ventura :lol:

Just read the BBC Sport report of the game. They don't half love their stats the Yanks - At first you think "interesting" and then your brain engages and tells you off for that stupid first impression...

2 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

Was kind of getting into it but passed out just before half time. I can't believe how often they have to stop for adverts.

Even during the regular season, the ref will call "commercial time outs" :cornette:

All play stops so an advert can come on.

I P Knightley
9 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

Not much of a fan but that Tim Bradley seems extremely successful - seven Supper Bowls!

The Superb Owl sees what you did there

now-f2XvJ0PW-4276974247jpg-1210-680.jpg

4 hours ago, 151 said:

Managed to last 'til somewhere through the 3rd quarter, seen it go 31-9 and woke this morning to check and finished that way.

Thoroughly enjoyed it tbh, had to google downs meaning and all that but got to grips with it all fairly quickly. 

If folk who know the sport are saying that was a shite game then I think its something I could get into. 100%.

Don't know how I go about picking a team though, probably just pick a good name. Seen loads of Raiders gear on folk over last few years so probably stay clear of them.

Always Dolphins , ignore all these other people who try and pull you towards diff teams 😏 As iv said to Liam below it wasn’t shit in terms of how well the Bucs played it just wasn’t a contest at all. 

3 hours ago, Boof said:

Is there any other team sport where one person can have so much influence over a club's performance?

The mindset and laser (wait US footie so lazer) focus he has is unbelievable. To be playing at the top of your profession in a physical and mentally demanding position at 43 is due nothing but utter respect. Wjat do you mean in terms of influence. If its putting a culture in place then probably not. If its in terms of onfield then I don’t think thats fair. The offence he has picked people he trusts and theyve bought into his ideals throughout the offence. Defence is a whole other beast and the Bucs defence yesterday and Bowles gameplan was nothing short of perfectly executed. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I didn't think the game was shite tbh, still plenty in there to keep me entertained. Never gonna get Falcons/Eagles type wins every year.

Shite was Rams v Patriots.

In terms of a game to keep you interested it wasnt much of a spectacle it was an absolute dominant performance from the Bucs. Think thats more what we all mean with it was shite. 

Most other QBs would have been broken long before the game ended such was the pressure the Bucs brought. They were quality in every facet of the game and coaching. Very very impressive.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Just read the BBC Sport report of the game. They don't half love their stats the Yanks - At first you think "interesting" and then your brain engages and tells you off for that stupid first impression...

And now Sky have imported that b******s into their soccerball analysis. 

1 hour ago, 151 said:

Funny you mention the Dolphins as when I was typing my message I thought of them, mainly because I like their colours :lol:.

I remember Dan Marino's name from Ace Ventura :lol:

The same reason my missus used to like the Dolphins back in the day. :facepalm:

We met Marino at a live outdoor sportscast in NYC about 15 years ago - she didn't even know who he was, even after I mentioned his name. Talk about embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

I was in Florida during the perfect season in 72, I was a Rams fan back then and really hated all the hype of the Dolphins!

Maroon Sailor

Recorded it last night and watched it this morning. Fast Forwarded all the chat and only watched the action.

4 hour recording whittled down to 1 hour.

4 hours ago, 151 said:

are franchises

Stay clear of the dark side, they will never be the same since they have left Oakland!😀 That's the big difference in North American sports, these teams can change location if they get a better stadium deal in another city, they are franchises not clubs, I have changed my allegiance a few times over the years from the Rams to the Skins to the Bills to the Bucs and now back to the Rams! I couldn't imagine a true Hearts fan deciding he or she would become a fan of another team, it's different when you are supporting a franchise which could pack up and leave!

4 hours ago, Boof said:

41 minutes ago, sadj said:

The mindset and laser (wait US footie so lazer) focus he has is unbelievable. To be playing at the top of your profession in a physical and mentally demanding position at 43 is due nothing but utter respect. Wjat do you mean in terms of influence. If its putting a culture in place then probably not. If its in terms of onfield then I don’t think thats fair. The offence he has picked people he trusts and theyve bought into his ideals throughout the offence. Defence is a whole other beast and the Bucs defence yesterday and Bowles gameplan was nothing short of perfectly executed. 

I was more thinking of an on-field person. For sure Alex Ferguson had a significant influence on Manchester United but American Football just seems to be more weighted to having a tip-top QB than any other sport with their 'driver' e.g. batsman/bowler in cricket, midfield general in football. It certainly wasn't a criticism of Tom Brady - he's clearly the best at what he does. I guess I was asking the question 'Is the QB position the most important in any team sport?'

4 minutes ago, Boof said:

I was more thinking of an on-field person. For sure Alex Ferguson had a significant influence on Manchester United but American Football just seems to be more weighted to having a tip-top QB than any other sport with their 'driver' e.g. batsman/bowler in cricket, midfield general in football. It certainly wasn't a criticism of Tom Brady - he's clearly the best at what he does. I guess I was asking the question 'Is the QB position the most important in any team sport?'

It is important but teams have won the Super Bowl with average QB's, we saw last night a QB is only as good as his offensive line, Mahonnes was running for his life all game, no protection made him look very average! I would argue a hockey goalie can almost single handedly win games even if his team is average!

Edited by gator

4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

gavin played one season for the scottish claymores in the euro type league rather than nfl

Knew it was something like that. 

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

And now Sky have imported that b******s into their soccerball analysis. 

Yup. As I mentioned before, I try to keep my football brain and my other sports brain seperate, particularly where American sports are involved. I respect their things, and the things like stats fall into that, but I really can't stand this stats obsessed era in our football. Some stats are pretty cool. First win against that team for 'x amount' of years. But see all this shite like expected goals or goal probability? **** off.

Too many stats in football nowadays are totally meaningless, and only exist to make the armchair football fan sound like he's got a clue what he's on about.

The Hogfather
7 hours ago, 151 said:

There's an argument to be had that New Orleans are much like Hearts. Always on the cusp of doing something, but usually falling short when it matters. Sometimes through dreadful refereeing too.

9 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

There's an argument to be had that New Orleans are much like Hearts. Always on the cusp of doing something, but usually falling short when it matters. Sometimes through dreadful refereeing too.

Yes, they got royally hosed last year in the conference final but could any Hearts supporter support a team called The Saints?😀

8 hours ago, 151 said:

You of course pick the team with the nearest colours to the Famous. Washington Football team, a team on the up👍

Image result for nfl teams who play in maroon colors

The Hogfather
36 minutes ago, gator said:

Yes, they got royally hosed last year in the conference final but could any Hearts supporter support a team called The Saints?😀

Nothing wrong with following the fortunes of the Black & Gold ;)