Budge is the problem

i8hibsh

15 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I can think of two managers that weren't safe - personally, one a bit bland, the other far from it.  

Camp 2, sweeping assumptions that anyone who defends her is happy with what's happening.  JKB simplistic, inaccurate postulating.

PS Sorry if this is "boring."

It's not boring, it's interesting but what I would say is 

- what has your first point got to do with my post? 

- second point I'd say is you viewing it simplistically. Camp 1 will have lots of people who have, do and will defend her on a number of things, that's not exclusive to camp 2. They're still fundamentally unhappy with the football side of things thoughI. I'm in camp 1, she's done some great things, however I'd prefer she got the first team right as a priority. If you're in camp two and unhappy with the football then what's your proposal if not a focus on the first team and a more exciting head of the football department?

Edited by Taffin

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• i8hibsh

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Hashimoto

12 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I can think of two managers that weren't safe - personally, one a bit bland, the other far from it.  

Camp 2, sweeping assumptions that anyone who defends her is happy with what's happening.  JKB simplistic, inaccurate postulating.

PS Sorry if this is "boring."

I think you are a bit off the mark here with your definitions of these camps.  I do think there are two categories but I would label define them as such Camp 1.  Dislike Budge and disagree with her running of the club especially regarding the football side of it.  Camp 2.  Everyone else who actually admires the way the club is managed off the pitch but are frustrated with how things have been run with regards the playing side especially with the over reliance on Craig Levein.  

On 23/01/2021 at 22:46, Gmcjambo said:

Neither do I,   Point being I’m pretty sure that is no longer the set up and the CEO would be responsible for managing this, not the Chairperson.  I think the ops comments are simply dated/misguided as we have a new structure in place.  I do think that manager and player recruitment over her tenure is the root cause of our problems though. 

No question about that,she should never be allowed to choose a manager again, that's been our downfall.

Budge has made mistakes of that there is no doubt particularly falling for Levein’s fantasy strategy - however in the middle of this economic meltdown we have signed new deals with Smith, Kingsley and Ginnelly, and new signings of GMS and the big French striker. None of these would come cheap so she deserves credit that she is bank rolling the Club where others are struggling to survive financially.

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

It's not boring, it's interesting but what I would say is 

- what has your first point got to do with my post? 

- second point I'd say is you viewing it simplistically. Camp 1 will have lots of people who have, do and will defend her on a number of things, that's not exclusive to camp 2. They're still fundamentally unhappy with the football side of things thoughI. I'm in camp 1, she's done some great things, however I'd prefer she got the first team right as a priority. If you're in camp two and unhappy with the football then what's your proposal if not a focus on the first team and a more exciting head of the football department?

First, the "boring" comment was for a planker!

Second, I may have picked you up wrong, as I took it to mean managers  - hence, Cathro and Stendel were not "safe" choices.

I reckon that while there are some changes needed, strengthened, our defence has been pretty shocking (includes defensive midfield) but if you look at the goals we've lost, it's been down to individuals and not the manager.  He's signed some numpties it would seem, but also I still think on balance the scales tip slightly in his favour.

What's needed is for players to perform their roles without making total ricks of themselves.  Obviously more difficult creatively but I think GMcK-S and Ginnelly are ok, remembering that creative players are prone to inconsistency, even Mane, Salah etc. at their level.

In summary we need a solid central defence and combative midfield - I think Irving can be the creative in there, providing he signs.

PS While I scream at the telly, I would rather watch Hearts than ANY other football team on the planet.

4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I think you are a bit off the mark here with your definitions of these camps.  I do think there are two categories but I would label define them as such Camp 1.  Dislike Budge and disagree with her running of the club especially regarding the football side of it.  Camp 2.  Everyone else who actually admires the way the club is managed off the pitch but are frustrated with how things have been run with regards the playing side especially with the over reliance on Craig Levein.  

Point taken!

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Budge has made mistakes of that there is no doubt particularly falling for Levein’s fantasy strategy - however in the middle of this economic meltdown we have signed new deals with Smith, Kingsley and Ginnelly, and new signings of GMS and the big French striker. None of these would come cheap so she deserves credit that she is bank rolling the Club where others are struggling to survive financially.

We could sign Messi and Ronaldo but if you bring them into a club that has winning football games about 20th down on the list of priorities it has a negative effect.  She has turned the entire club soft and weak and this is why we are failing. We are bringing in quality but they soon become duds.

16 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The fact that the FOH is receiving 1.5m every year free,gives her some leeway,not all down to Budge.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Thought she set up the team well tonight.

Aye she could of kept us up last season, as could of Levein 🤔?. 

So OP, if mrs Budge was at fault on Saturday, was she the reason we won 4 0 tonight?

With this run of form, might put a score on her to bag the first goal in our next match.

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'd probably rest her for Saturday, at her age age can't play 3 games in a week.

On 24/01/2021 at 20:59, fila said:

With our resources,  top of the league is the minimum requirement, it’s how we play that is concerning people along with the absolute crap  signing policy that has been allowed to happen over several years 

Crap new striker

Crap new winger

Crap Goalie

Crap new manager got us top of the League, 15 goal better goal difference than next club. Out of the traps from the start. 21 shots. 4 goals. AWAY!!!  
ok. Let’s ignore that and go back moaning about Levein to deflect from the facts. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

4-0.  You Comment “Levein”.  
Absolute class. 

41 minutes ago, Sid said:

Crap new striker

Crap new winger

Crap Goalie

Crap new manager got us top of the League, 15 goal better goal difference than next club. Out of the traps from the start. 21 shots. 4 goals. AWAY!!!  
ok. Let’s ignore that and go back moaning about Levein to deflect from the facts. 

Take out the top two signings from your post that have just happened, and agree CG coming back was great however still maintain the signing policy has been garbage over several seasons . 

I hope RN really pushes us forward , next season will tell and he has my backing, but I still think it was an easy option for AB to go back to something comfortable 

Guest ToqueJambo
55 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Great double by Annaud tonight. Rose well for the second. Not even match fit.

The reputation of French footballers finally restored in Gorgie, at least for now.

Ainsley Harriott

Big improvement from Ann tonight hopefully she can keep it up this weekend 

Edited by Ainsley Harriott

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Big improvement from Ann tonight hopefully she can keep it up this weekend 

Nah I agree with Smith's Right Boot, she can't play 3 games in a week. I'd rest her and maybe bring in Stuart Wallace into the midfield.

12 hours ago, fila said:

Take out the top two signings from your post that have just happened, and agree CG coming back was great however still maintain the signing policy has been garbage over several seasons . 

I hope RN really pushes us forward , next season will tell and he has my backing, but I still think it was an easy option for AB to go back to something comfortable 

This Season wasn’t the time for experiments. 
She chose the least risk option to get us back up. No-one had better credentials to do that specific job. Everyone slates her for not having a football understanding but don’t think you can argue that manager twice promoted from Championship (once last Season, once with Hearts). On the face of it not available, convinced a Prem manager to drop a League and come to us. 
Then support him with funding to bring in players. Even funding a second chance when first set of signings didn’t all work out sounds like top quality football decisions.  

10 hours ago, Sid said:

This Season wasn’t the time for experiments. 
She chose the least risk option to get us back up. No-one had better credentials to do that specific job. Everyone slates her for not having a football understanding but don’t think you can argue that manager twice promoted from Championship (once last Season, once with Hearts). On the face of it not available, convinced a Prem manager to drop a League and come to us. 
Then support him with funding to bring in players. Even funding a second chance when first set of signings didn’t all work out sounds like top quality football decisions.  

Backing with funding , then when these signings fail, back with funding for additional players this has been the issue for several years, as she has had blind faith ( apart from DS ) in her managerial appointments.

I have no issues with RN , but I also believe as a club we could have probably got quite a few managers to drop down a league to the Championship ( whether from Scotland , England or abroad). Getting us out of this league shouldn't prove to difficult , so the least risk option doesn't really come into for me , this season was about promotion but more importantly setting ourselves up for the return to the SPL

8 minutes ago, fila said:

Backing with funding , then when these signings fail, back with funding for additional players this has been the issue for several years, as she has had blind faith ( apart from DS ) in her managerial appointments.

I have no issues with RN , but I also believe as a club we could have probably got quite a few managers to drop down a league to the Championship ( whether from Scotland , England or abroad). Getting us out of this league shouldn't prove to difficult , so the least risk option doesn't really come into for me , this season was about promotion but more importantly setting ourselves up for the return to the SPL

We were too good to get relegated/expelled last Season. We took on a higher risk manager. Look what happened. 90% of focus for this Season had to be promotion. So least risk had to be the choice. Hopefully, some of the signings will be foundations for Premier League push next Season (very early but looks promising) but should not take eye off the goal of promotion.

Ann could not have made a better footballing decision than appoint Robbie. That is without the hindsight we all assess her with. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Has any Hearts owner appointed 4 more different managers in succession than Budge? Only Romanov. It does suggest she doesn't know what she wants from a manager (although a Neilson-type would seem to be the preference as she's hired him twice now).

Even the biggest Budge doubters can't deny she's not afraid to do something different though and take chances when it comes to managers. None of Neilson the first time, Cathro, Levein or Stendel could be described as safe or boring appointments. Even Neilson the second time was a surprise at the time, given she persuaded him to leave the Premiership to come here. To her credit she also backs them all in the transfer market no matter what's happening with the club behind the scenes.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Sid said:

We were too good to get relegated/expelled last Season. We took on a higher risk manager. Look what happened. 90% of focus for this Season had to be promotion. So least risk had to be the choice. Hopefully, some of the signings will be foundations for Premier League push next Season (very early but looks promising) but should not take eye off the goal of promotion.

Ann could not have made a better footballing decision than appoint Robbie. That is without the hindsight we all assess her with. 

We certainly were not to good last year to avoid relegation / demotion( I know your using that as an example of risk) most of the support recognised that from even the previous season failings, however the status quo was allowed to drag on into last season and when the intervention happened it was way to late ( although we did still have a fighting chance to stay up if the season had not been stopped)

On 26/01/2021 at 23:07, Bongo 1874 said:

Of you thought about using have?

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I think she is worth a try in goals this Saturday.

She could have played in goals at Starks Park and we would still have kept a clean sheet.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Has any Hearts owner appointed 4 more different managers in succession than Budge? Only Romanov. It does suggest she doesn't know what she wants from a manager (although a Neilson-type would seem to be the preference as she's hired him twice now).

Even the biggest Budge doubters can't deny she's not afraid to do something different though and take chances when it comes to managers. None of Neilson the first time, Cathro, Levein or Stendel could be described as safe or boring appointments. Even Neilson the second time was a surprise at the time, given she persuaded him to leave the Premiership to come here. To her credit she also backs them all in the transfer market no matter what's happening with the club behind the scenes.

Neil second time round is the safest appointment any owner of Hearts will ever make. And appointing Levein very close behind.

Anyone else notice that you never hear from the OP of this thread and his fan club whenever Hearts win a game? 

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Anyone else notice that you never hear from the OP of this thread and his fan club whenever Hearts win a game? 

Yes,

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Been the same for years, nothing ever changes on here. Its a real shame. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

It's so obvious on match day threads as well. 

At 0-0 or we concede they're like hyenas around a dead carcass, we do well, silence. 

I

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I think she is worth a try in goals this Saturday.

Tbh that is why she's a problem. 

She's really not got a position she can stick it and stand out. 

Versatility is her downfall. 

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I think you are seeing what you want to see. I was very active on JKB Tuesday night and Wedesday morning. Same as most days.

11 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Not part of anyone's fan club, my view on AB's leadership of our club has remained unchanged over the last couple of years , and that's whether we win draw or lose etc ( feel free to look through my posts )