Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

6 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

A lot of potentially great young players drop a load when they are expected to perform to first team standards day in day out.

Irving has well and truly put on his big boy pants and is showing senior players how it should be done. Playing football that is, not wearing big boy pants. Although...

Get him on a 3 year deal and do it now. Massively important. 

He was shouting instructions to senior players around him yesterday.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

He’ll end up being our second biggest incoming transfer fee ever if we do this right Hopefully not for a good while yet obviously but it’s really important we get him contracted. I hope we’re offering him serious money.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

He’ll end up being our second biggest incoming transfer fee ever if we do this right Hopefully not for a good while yet obviously but it’s really important we get him contracted. I hope we’re offering him serious money.

Big statement. How much did we get for Hickey? 😄

24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Big statement. How much did we get for Hickey? 😄

I’m sure we got about £1.6M for Berra. Hickey was less than that. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

One of the things that annoys me about Scottish football is this ingrained attitude that youngsters don't deserve good wages. Like, we'll happily pay a mediocre journeyman a couple of grand a week no bother at all despite them being shite and having no sell on potential, but we'll hum and haw over a giving a clearly talented young player a wage that gives them parity with first team players. 

Obviously just rumours, but I've heard multiple times that we were only offering Hickey improved terms of a few hundred quid. Obviously, this could be wrong, but I've heard it enough times to think there could be something to it. I don't think this is a problem exclusive to us, virtually all clubs have serious issues retaining talent and I think its down to this mentality. 

With Irving, we're unlikely to get another contract out of him beyond this extension, so the club should show a bit of faith in the laddie, recognise his potential and treat him like one of the faceless cast of thousands we've thrown money at in the past. We should also be push hard for a 3/4 year deal. He's physical capable of managing the SPL, he's also got more technique and doesn't seem to shit the bed like other young players. Much like with Hickey, we've got a great young talent here and its imperative actually do this properly and make sure he stays. 

Please for the love of god Robbie, do not come back with a 2 year deal and put us through the torment of him running his deal down. 3 year deal minimum. 

FWIW, I know every single contract we offer is a risk. I'd just much rather take those risks with home grown talent than shite like Martin, Damour, Oshinawa, Amankwaa Vanecek, Grzlak, Sowah, Struna, Avolantis, Bozanic, Lee, White, Watt, Sammon, Frear, Roberts etc. At a certain point we need to perhaps take on board that the foreign market isn't working out enough to justify it. Focus on domestic players. Retain our young talent for 1 more contract cycle. Focus in on players 23-26 at other SPFL sides we can pinch for free who are all ready tried and tested whilst also weakening rivals plus internationals over 30 who we can get to come to us (Gordon, Cowie, Berra, Naismith types). At every point since 2014 we've had unusable players on our books that made no sense to sign other than as a complete gamble. Its not ****ing good enough. We're talking millions wasted on utter dross.

Phil D. Corners

I’m not sure why the club has not given him a deal on par with other senior players. You think they would want to lock him down with deal that matches his performances. The guy has been stand out.

Maybe Robbie already has someone else planned for that position next season. Or maybe they just tried to low amount as they know he’s a local Jambo and would want to stay. 

Hopefully the club goes back to him with a serious offer before someone else does. Would hate to lose him.

20 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I’m not sure why the club has not given him a deal on par with other senior players. You think they would want to lock him down with deal that matches his performances. The guy has been stand out.

Maybe Robbie already has someone else planned for that position next season. Or maybe they just tried to low amount as they know he’s a local Jambo and would want to stay. 

Hopefully the club goes back to him with a serious offer before someone else does. Would hate to lose him.

Maybe still seething about the first offer. Maybe fancies following Hickey abroad. 

Selkirk_Jambo
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

£2.3M was the number I remember from back in the day. 

Certainly more than £1.6M though

Selkirk_Jambo
21 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

There was also Niemi, Bednar, McCann and Cameron who all went for around £2m (was Bednar not £2.3m?). 

Berra was £2.5m, according to BBC

You're absolutely right about Bednar, £2.3m apparently 

The heady days of £2m plus transfers...

It's more about the clauses should we receive a bid for him

He has in mind a figure over which we have no option but to let him go

We of course would prefer no minimum fee

2 hours ago, Rudolf said:

I think it was Euro 2 million = £ 1.8 million.

Sign him to a five year contract. Don't disrespect the boy by trying to pay him like an unproven player or a squad player. Pay him like he is a valued member of the first team. If he's not keen, then insert a minimum fee release clause at something like £3million. I'd be disappointed in Irving if he wouldn't sign a contract in that ballpark.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Ecce Romanov said:

His passing last nigh was just top notch. If we can, a 3 year deal would be amazing. 

Agreed. So composed on the ball, often looking for a killer pass and capable of making it. And has a great shot and dead ball delivery on him. If he can do it in these games on these tight pitches where the opposition treat it like a cup final and press like crazy, he should be able to do it at a higher level. Feel like he has the potential to be our Jordan Henderson or Xavi Alonso in terms of style how they influenced games, maybe just needs to add more bite and physicality to his game.

wattie exploited
21 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

we got 9 million for Gordon he will not even come close to that possible  2million  if he gets even better in a few years time :rifle:

Byyy The Light
18 hours ago, OTT said:

One of the things that annoys me about Scottish football is this ingrained attitude that youngsters don't deserve good wages. Like, we'll happily pay a mediocre journeyman a couple of grand a week no bother at all despite them being shite and having no sell on potential, but we'll hum and haw over a giving a clearly talented young player a wage that gives them parity with first team players. 

Obviously just rumours, but I've heard multiple times that we were only offering Hickey improved terms of a few hundred quid. Obviously, this could be wrong, but I've heard it enough times to think there could be something to it. I don't think this is a problem exclusive to us, virtually all clubs have serious issues retaining talent and I think its down to this mentality. 

With Irving, we're unlikely to get another contract out of him beyond this extension, so the club should show a bit of faith in the laddie, recognise his potential and treat him like one of the faceless cast of thousands we've thrown money at in the past. We should also be push hard for a 3/4 year deal. He's physical capable of managing the SPL, he's also got more technique and doesn't seem to shit the bed like other young players. Much like with Hickey, we've got a great young talent here and its imperative actually do this properly and make sure he stays. 

Please for the love of god Robbie, do not come back with a 2 year deal and put us through the torment of him running his deal down. 3 year deal minimum. 

FWIW, I know every single contract we offer is a risk. I'd just much rather take those risks with home grown talent than shite like Martin, Damour, Oshinawa, Amankwaa Vanecek, Grzlak, Sowah, Struna, Avolantis, Bozanic, Lee, White, Watt, Sammon, Frear, Roberts etc. At a certain point we need to perhaps take on board that the foreign market isn't working out enough to justify it. Focus on domestic players. Retain our young talent for 1 more contract cycle. Focus in on players 23-26 at other SPFL sides we can pinch for free who are all ready tried and tested whilst also weakening rivals plus internationals over 30 who we can get to come to us (Gordon, Cowie, Berra, Naismith types). At every point since 2014 we've had unusable players on our books that made no sense to sign other than as a complete gamble. Its not ****ing good enough. We're talking millions wasted on utter dross.

Good post.  I think the difference with Irving and Hickey is at the time Hickey had played 3 games and if rumours were to be believed, his agent/dad or whatever were asking for top earner money. £3-4k a week.  I know there's a balance but if we'd given Cochrane that money after his 3 or 4 game cameo then the club would be getting hammered for it.  This is obviously all rumour so we don't know what actually happened.

For me Irving has proved that he's not a flash in the pan and over the next 2 or 3 years he will physically develop and get stronger and fitter.  With his natural footballing talent he's got everything it takes to be a top midfielder and we should be paying him the going rate now in line with senior pros in the team.  Longer term contract with a realistic release clause and a percentage sell on fee after that would be the way to go for me.  As a Hearts fan, why wouldn't he sign that??  Live the dream and then move on to bigger things.

On 27/01/2021 at 17:46, OTT said:

I definitely think there's a lot of truth in this, and I think it's a perception thing, which stretches to most fans too. A young player coming through the ranks, like Irving, tends to (rightly) get a fair degree of leeway for inconsistent performances or shortcomings in their game, as they tend to be thought of as basically a trainee, whereas anyone signed from elsewhere, is just seen as another signing, even if they're only about 19 or 20 themselves.  Pay/reward offered seems to mirror that perception. 

9 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Good post.  I think the difference with Irving and Hickey is at the time Hickey had played 3 games and if rumours were to be believed, his agent/dad or whatever were asking for top earner money. £3-4k a week.  I know there's a balance but if we'd given Cochrane that money after his 3 or 4 game cameo then the club would be getting hammered for it.  This is obviously all rumour so we don't know what actually happened.

For me Irving has proved that he's not a flash in the pan and over the next 2 or 3 years he will physically develop and get stronger and fitter.  With his natural footballing talent he's got everything it takes to be a top midfielder and we should be paying him the going rate now in line with senior pros in the team.  Longer term contract with a realistic release clause and a percentage sell on fee after that would be the way to go for me.  As a Hearts fan, why wouldn't he sign that??  Live the dream and then move on to bigger things.

Maybe too late. 

Not read the whole thread but Irving’s passing is very impressive not just at the current level but also above. He can make defence splitting passes and is able to make long distance passes which count too.

sign the lad and nurture him - it’ll make him and us a lot of dough 

18 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hearts have made better offer and waiting on response 

Rejects this one and I reckon his agents had some big offers in!

Andy Irving Hearts contract update as Robbie Neilson confirms improved offer - Edinburgh Live

Hearts have made an improved contract offer to Andy Irving after the midfielder responded to their previous proposal with one of his own.

The boyhood Jambo is in fine form for the Championship leaders, but as things stand is free to talk to other clubs and leave for nothing in the summer.

Robbie Neilson is keen to tie him down at Tynecastle, and negotiations have been ongoing with both player and club hopeful an agreement can be reached soon.

Just now, 1874robbo said:

He is the Best to come out of the academy for years!! this laddie will go on to play at the top level without a doubt.

Agreed.  Hearts are very lucky to have him,every few players with his attributes come through the academy system...

Scottie Wanshot.

Yes he's improving in every game, the only thing he's lacking a bit is he needs to more aggressive. get harder tackles in, get in other players faces,  be NASTY.

14 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

Yes he's improving in every game, the only thing he's lacking a bit is he needs to more aggressive. get harder tackles in, get in other players faces,  be NASTY.

Yeah. That’s his weakness. Quite easily knocked of the ball. And maybe limit the quarter back passes. 

48 minutes ago, MooseMich said:

Agreed.  Hearts are very lucky to have him,every few players with his attributes come through the academy system...

Lucky to have him ? We have been nurturing his talent since he was a bairn. Let’s not forget the hours and money hearts have given to develope the lad.   

Get this done Hearts, for the sake of a few thousand or whatever is holding it up,  it will cost us more trying to replace him. 

Great age and will only get better the more he plays. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, it_hearts said:

Get this done Hearts, for the sake of a few thousand or whatever is holding it up,  it will cost us more trying to replace him. 

Great age and will only get better the more he plays. 

I'll give you one guess. His agent. 

13 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

If Hearts don't get this over the line I will be well pissed

I think Savage is about to cock this up. The first offer comes in short of the mark, and no new offered given. Despite what Bazza writes. If Hearts aren't interested in being serious, I wouldn't blame him to start listening to other offers.  

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

I think Savage is about to cock this up. The first offer comes in short of the mark, and no new offered given. Despite what Bazza writes. If Hearts aren't interested in being serious, I wouldn't blame him to start listening to other offers.  

Based on absolutely nothing, Savage is cocking it up. You couldn't make some of the shit on here up even if you were a Hibs fan, which I am not saying you are. 

Just be patient. 

Berra than you
31 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

It's being reported we have tabled a second offer. Are you trying to say this isn't true?

So for once the fans seem to agree we should be handing out a longer term deal for a player

Somewhat different from opinions on other threads about contract length etc for other players........guess it just goes to show you that if you've had a chance to have a good look first you are happier to hand out a good deal but trusting others to make a decision for you is a hard thing to accept hence the critics for 3/4 year deals for other signings

49 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Was he involved in the first offer? I don't think Doc Savage was at the club when the offer was made. 

27 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

So for once the fans seem to agree we should be handing out a longer term deal for a player

Somewhat different from opinions on other threads about contract length etc for other players........guess it just goes to show you that if you've had a chance to have a good look first you are happier to hand out a good deal but trusting others to make a decision for you is a hard thing to accept hence the critics for 3/4 year deals for other signings

It was obvious when he came into the team at the very first instances way back that he had it. He should genuinely have been on a 5 year deal then. Seriously like looking  at John Collins at 16, 17 and thinking, just no sure eh? Utterly ridiculous from the club.

We should pay him whatever he wants just as a punishment for being dense

Edited by Riccarton3

Not sure what the club are playing at here. But, there was no counter-offer from Irving or his agents and there has been no second offer made to them either. Seems strange for Robbie to come out with this stuff, especially before an important game. Are they trying mess with Irving's head before arguably our biggest game of the league campaign ? Hopefully Andy just blocks it all out.

6 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Not sure what the club are playing at here. But, there was no counter-offer from Irving or his agents and there has been no second offer made to them either. Seems strange for Robbie to come out with this stuff, especially before an important game. Are they trying mess with Irving's head before arguably our biggest game of the league campaign ? Hopefully Andy just blocks it all out.

How do you know this?

A_A wehatethehibs

Maybe we’re just waiting to see how much Juventus / City / Bayern bid for him on deadline day. 

Being serious though, he is our most sellable asset, with 6 months left on his deal it could be the case we’re waiting to see if someone comes in, stranger things have happened. 

Seems as though this is going to drag on and we will end up losing him. When you think of all the guff we have gave big wages to and long contracts, the one player with ability and age on his side we are mucking about with. Absolute disgrace IMO. 

Never Let Them Forget
2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Seems as though this is going to drag on and we will end up losing him. When you think of all the guff we have gave big wages to and long contracts, the one player with ability and age on his side we are mucking about with. Absolute disgrace IMO. 

You don’t know the terms that Hearts have offered do you? So how can you say it’s a disgrace?

2 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

I smell 5h1te.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )