Stephen Robinson quits as Motherwell Manager

livi

2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

They play on grass, bring a decent support (people who resist the temptation of following Celtic or Rangers) and have avoided relegation mostly by performing well. Why would we want them to go down? 

Let's see...voted against us, supporters who have attacked our fans on recent visits, including putting one in hospital.

Yes they've done well to stay up for so long whilst clubs like ourselves, Hibs etc have gone down...so they are due it. 

There are other clubs I'd be equally happy to go down...I hope that's ok for you.

🙄

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Ribble

• Spellczech

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I meant he would have been able to assess our squad quickly, get it organised and hopefully find the balance needed to change those draws into victories. 

Long term not so sure though. 

Fair enough, but any Scottish based manager could have done that tbh. 

Tbh,I think I could have done that better than Stendel ( who I thought would have been exciting long term). 

Long term I agree.

Edited by Smith's right boot

30 minutes ago, ford donald said:

At that time we needed a experienced manager of scottish football,Stendel was the wrong appointment,at that time,no question.

I ****ing hate this line being rolled out. Its a ludicrous statement imo. You need a manager who can connect the players and get their ideas across. Biggest problem with Stendel was the pathetic shite he got from the Scottish Media and more so the fact he wanted to score goals to get out of trouble when what we needed to do was shore up the defensive frailties that was costing us first. Once he got the defensive things sorted we looked a far better team but that was at the sacrifice of his attacking preference. St Mirrens winning goal was offside and you cant do anything about that , we were awful that night but previously Rangers and Hibs barely troubled us. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair enough, but any Scottish based manager could have done that tbh. 

Tbh,I think I could have done that better than Stendel ( who I thought would have been exciting long term). 

Long term I agree.

Don’t you start this pish

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Let's see...voted against us, supporters who have attacked our fans on recent visits, including putting one in hospital.

Yes they've done well to stay up for so long whilst clubs like ourselves, Hibs etc have gone down...so they are due it. 

There are other clubs I'd be equally happy to go down...I hope that's ok for you.

🙄

Problem is, if all the teams who voted us down were barred it would be pretty dull.

I'd prefer to lose one of the plastic carpet teams.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, sadj said:

Don’t you start this pish

What pish? 

I think any manager with a rudimentary understanding of Scottish football would have got us out of trouble and would have been initially better than Stendel. 

Not hard tho, he taken us from second bottom to bottom. 

4 hours ago, jbee647 said:

At the time he was the best candidate for the job, just shows how quickly things turn around in football 

Managers and coaches definitely have a certain shelf life these days, after 3 years it appears they lose the power and influence among the players, the days of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean are long gone 

it does seem very few managers get past three years. Robinson managed to turn around a series of poor runs and kept clear of relegation, flirted with top 6. 

Can’t think of many managers beyond 3 years in Scotland - maybe Robbie in 2 spells?

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What pish? 

I think any manager with a rudimentary understanding of Scottish football would have got us out of trouble and would have been initially better than Stendel. 

Here you go with your usual shite, take a night off kickback for a change

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, sadj said:

I ****ing hate this line being rolled out. Its a ludicrous statement imo. You need a manager who can connect the players and get their ideas across. Biggest problem with Stendel was the pathetic shite he got from the Scottish Media and more so the fact he wanted to score goals to get out of trouble when what we needed to do was shore up the defensive frailties that was costing us first. Once he got the defensive things sorted we looked a far better team but that was at the sacrifice of his attacking preference. St Mirrens winning goal was offside and you cant do anything about that , we were awful that night but previously Rangers and Hibs barely troubled us. 

Romanticism in the extreme. 

Stendel taken over a poor team and made it worse in his short spell. 

We went from second bottom to bottom during his tenure. 

His signings were poor, he ignored the defence and was too slow to recognise the gk issue - the one where it does not matter who can pass better, you need a gk to make actual ****ing saves!

Longer term, with a normal transfer window who knows, It could have been exciting but his spell with us was very poor. Taking Hearts from joint second bottom to 4 adrift and bottom is pure  and  Utter shite. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, HMFC 86 said:

Here you go with your usual shite, take a night off kickback for a change

What shite? 

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If only Levein had followed that narrative

Very true. Robinson is still very early in his managerial career. He has done a reasonable job at Motherwell over the past couple of years, and his stock is still fairly high, so maybe felt best to leave now and secure another job while he still has “credit in the bank”, rather than continue bad run of form and maybe get sacked in a few months time (which will of course look worse on his CV). 

Levein should have walked away after the 2019 cup final, was too stubborn to do so though. 

8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

A manager can only do so much at a selling club. Motherwell, St Johnstone, Killie, Hamilton, St Mirren managers are all in the same boat...It's why Scottish football is a poor product. 

I think all Scottish clubs including the OF are selling clubs. Aberdeen for example are rebuilding to one degree or another  pretty much every season. The one difference between the OF and everyone else is that they can afford to hold on to assets a season or two longer.

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

What pish? 

Are you saying we should have kept levein then?

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Well done. You continued his deflection.

Hope craigan gets the job at motherwell.   For an obvious reason, sick of his voice and boring talk. 

Hopefully a chance to prove what you spout from your mouth is actually right. 

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

nah, but he wouldn't, in fact couldn't have done worse than Stendel.

nah, but he wouldn't, in fact couldn't have done worse than Stendel.

He'd have done just the the same but without geggenpress. 

I agree that Stendel wasn't the right man for a quick turn around, he had his own ideas and needed a good length of time to implement them. Levein left him with a shambles to contend with. 

4 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Very true. Robinson is still very early in his managerial career. He has done a reasonable job at Motherwell over the past couple of years, and his stock is still fairly high, so maybe felt best to leave now and secure another job while he still has “credit in the bank”, rather than continue bad run of form and maybe get sacked in a few months time (which will of course look worse on his CV). 

Levein should have walked away after the 2019 cup final, was too stubborn to do so though. 

Levein should have been sacked after Livingston humiliation ! Any other manager would have walked or been booted out ......

10 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Levein should have been sacked after Livingston humiliation ! Any other manager would have walked or been booted out ......

👍Totally agree

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He'd have done just the the same but without geggenpress. 

I agree that Stendel wasn't the right man for a quick turn around, he had his own ideas and needed a good length of time to implement them. Levein left him with a shambles to contend with. 

You don't know that, neither do I.

But he wouldn't have done worse, that is for sure. He couldn't.

Your'e almost hinting there it's ok to be shit as long as we have a fancy label like Geggenpress.

I liked Stendel, but the guy was a complete failure in his short term at Hearts. He done what many thought was impossible and actually made us worse than we were under CL.

Factoid.

You don't know that, neither do I.

But he wouldn't have done worse, that is for sure. He couldn't.

Your'e almost hinting there it's ok to be shit as long as we have a fancy label like Geggenpress.

I liked Stendel, but the guy was a complete failure in his short term at Hearts. He done what many thought was impossible and actually made us worse than we were under CL.

Factoid.

The gegenpress comment was a joke. 

Anyway, blame the club for levein's over extended reign and signing stendel. 

I had feckall to do with it. 😂

Guest ToqueJambo

So the two supposed geniuses of Scottish football - Wright and Robinson - are now unemployed. Still one-club wonders until they prove otherwise.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The gegenpress comment was a joke. 

Anyway, blame the club for levein's over extended reign and signing stendel. 

I had feckall to do with it. 😂

Fair enough, over my heed!

A gegenpress of a joke, too fast for me...

8 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

He has played a big part in their development. The club has made over £6m in profit since he was appointed.

Aye we made a profit of £9m on one player Craig Gordon.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

So the two supposed geniuses of Scottish football - Wright and Robinson - are now unemployed. Still one-club wonders until they prove otherwise.

Totally , Wright had the opportunity a couple of times to move on and upwards , and seemed to bottle it . Be interesting to see if Motherwell make a move for him 

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

What pish? 

And yet the manager you backed to the hilt until you were virtually the only one backing him couldn’t get us out of trouble ?  By the time he finally left we had a squad of players who were so far gone and so unprofessional, to the extent that the club captain was sent away from the club, I can’t think of a Scottish manager that would have done much better than the one we got in. If the new manager had just tempered his way of playing a bit and the players had kicked their own arses collectively, we might have been out of danger when the bell rang. Some of those same players are still here earning a wage. That infuriates me in some cases.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

And yet the manager you backed to the hilt until you were virtually the only one backing him couldn’t get us out of trouble ?  By the time he finally left we had a squad of players who were so far gone and so unprofessional, to the extent that the club captain was sent away from the club, I can’t think of a Scottish manager that would have done much better than the one we got in. If the new manager had just tempered his way of playing a bit and the players had kicked their own arses collectively, we might have been out of danger when the bell rang. Some of those same players are still here earning a wage. That infuriates me in some cases.

I'll back any Hearts Manager, that's my gig. I backed Stendal as well.

I did say after the sc  final I can see how CL might go, but also if he stays then that is that and that after a 6th place finish , lc sf and a sc final it was 50/50. Unsure if that is backing him to the hilt or being practical.

I also said after the 2-3 Motherwell he should go as he has lost the fans.

He did go as manager after 11 games, 14 months ago so unsure of the obsession.

The club captain did go, but we actually got worse and dropped from 11th to 12th so unsure how that is a positive?

If you can't think of a manager that could have at least kept us 11th, than that is your issue, I'll give you one- Craig Levein himself, he had us 11th, not 12th. Fact.

However shit CL was, it takes a special kind of shite to take a Hearts team from 11th to 12th. Think about that for a minute.......

The rage on here how CL could take a club like us, in Scottish football to 11th and at  the time a few points of 7th/ 8th. It was shite I agree, but the The rage- let's sack him.

Yet , a new manager managed to take us to 12th and 2 wins away from 11th.... and yet some on here champion him and want  him for  the long term gig.

You have to let that sink in.

It's ridiculous logic.

****ing Mental.

Mind when he lied about Hearts fans chanting racist abuse at a Motherwell sub. He wasn't mistaken, he lied to deflect from his side losing the match. 

12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think all Scottish clubs including the OF are selling clubs. Aberdeen for example are rebuilding to one degree or another  pretty much every season. The one difference between the OF and everyone else is that they can afford to hold on to assets a season or two longer.

If that were the case surely Morelos & Eduoard would've been sold when their stock was higher?

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

What pish? 

By this sort of thinking how on earth did Klopp and Guardiola win the EPL?  Or O'Neill, Deila or Rodgers at Celtic? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

12 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

By this sort of thinking how on earth did Klopp and Guardiola win the EPL?  Or O'Neill, Deila or Rodgers at Celtic? 

Agreed , its that narrowminded thought process that is the norm in the media up here too. Thats one of the things that causes us to be viewed as a non entity. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Agreed , its that narrowminded thought process that is the norm in the media up here too. Thats one of the things that causes us to be viewed as a non entity. 

Totally agree. Anything outwith the OF norm is sneered at by the media. Look at the way various Scotland managers have been treated by the glasgow media. A more parochial bunch of bigoted clowns you couldn't wish to meet with very, very few exceptions. 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Totally agree. Anything outwith the OF norm is sneered at by the media. Look at the way various Scotland managers have been treated by the glasgow media. A more parochial bunch of bigoted clowns you couldn't wish to meet with very, very few exceptions. 

Anything thats new or different is turned on also. Cathro highly rated coach (however bad his personable nature was) treated as if he is useless and a joke. Yet after failing at us goes back to coaching at a higher level. The media were vile to him , Miko , Romanov got it from all corners , so many other examples. I doubt it will change anytime soon. You are in the clique and part of the backwater norm or you are ostracised

Hampden Demolition
19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Where's the next batch of youngsters from their great academy then? 

Campbell and Maguire will no doubt go on to do well. I’m not an expert on their academy but they have had more success, particular financially, than we have from ours in the last 5 years.

Hampden Demolition
11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Aye we made a profit of £9m on one player Craig Gordon.

13 years ago ffs 😂. Anyway, the thread is re Robinson and for him to play a part in getting £6m+ in transfer fees in 3 years, he must be doing something right.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

If that were the case surely Morelos & Eduoard would've been sold when their stock was higher?

Now, now....keep it on topic you told me!

See how easy it is to drift off it?

11 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Now, now....keep it on topic you told me!

See how easy it is to drift off it?

I didn't tell you, I told myself!...Don't be so precious

28 minutes ago, sadj said:

Anything thats new or different is turned on also. Cathro highly rated coach (however bad his personable nature was) treated as if he is useless and a joke. Yet after failing at us goes back to coaching at a higher level. The media were vile to him , Miko , Romanov got it from all corners , so many other examples. I doubt it will change anytime soon. You are in the clique and part of the backwater norm or you are ostracised

The appointment of Cathro was an embarrassment and should have spelled the end of Leveins involvement in any recruitment activities. 

As for the media, yes they were out of order but we should have fought back as a club and called them out on it rather than always trying to take the moral high ground or build bridges where there were none to be built. 

32 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

13 years ago ffs 😂. Anyway, the thread is re Robinson and for him to play a part in getting £6m+ in transfer fees in 3 years, he must be doing something right.

You implied Robinson had a hand in the development of 3 players netting the club £6m in transfer fees.  By that yardstick you must think Levein was a genius manager netting Hearts £9m from 1 transfer fee.

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The appointment of Cathro was an embarrassment and should have spelled the end of Leveins involvement in any recruitment activities. 

As for the media, yes they were out of order but we should have fought back as a club and called them out on it rather than always trying to take the moral high ground or build bridges where there were none to be built. 

How was the appointment of Cathro an embarrassment at the time? At the time it was forward thinking and his coaching ability is not in doubt at all?

The second paragraph I don’t agree with completely but Id say it has some degree of truth. I think its things like that , that have educated AB etc to the point the discussed resigning and playing somewhere else due to the pathetic behaviour in the summer

A_A wehatethehibs

That’s the way it goes, I’m sure he’ll be involved in a few conversations when inevitably someone gets the sack. Sometimes it happens when a manager has taken a club as far as he can. The confidence and desire starts to wane. 

Doesn’t really change anything in terms of November 2019 which was when we should have hired him within a week after sacking Levein, we lost sight the short term immediate demands to get points to get us off the foot off the table. Games drifted by leaving the eventual new man unfamiliar with the league not enough time to turn it round.  We needed a decisive and immediate change in direction, getting results out of our players, like Hibs got with Ross. Not a reinvention of the wheel which was what Stendels attempted transformation of our style of play was.

Pick Robinson or pick anyone from half a dozen usual suspect names. Dont think any of them would’ve took Hearts down. Except Pressley, he probably would have had us 7 points adrift, so no definitely not him. Unfortunately Ann just didn’t have the football background to see what we needed at the club and now can only regret the series of bad decisions and indecision’s that took us down.

5 minutes ago, sadj said:

How was the appointment of Cathro an embarrassment at the time? At the time it was forward thinking and his coaching ability is not in doubt at all?

The second paragraph I don’t agree with completely but Id say it has some degree of truth. I think its things like that , that have educated AB etc to the point the discussed resigning and playing somewhere else due to the pathetic behaviour in the summer

Because one interview (conducted by someone other than his good friend) would have exposed his lack of leadership experience and his lack of leadership abilities. That’s massively important in football management. 

34 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Because one interview (conducted by someone other than his good friend) would have exposed his lack of leadership experience and his lack of leadership abilities. That’s massively important in football management. 

Thats fair enough , I thought you were referencing his ability as a coach. We werent privvy to the interview or who conducted it though. He might have come over well in it. You will know yourself someone in any job can give a certain perception of themselves and get good references then lack basic qualities when put in the work environment. In terms of ability it wasnt embarrassing other than the medias treatment of him. 

On 31/12/2020 at 11:51, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Rare you get a manager walking away when he realises it's no longer working. Fair play if thats the case. Some would sit it out and take every penny from the club.

Gary Holt did it a few weeks ago! 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Did they take over a team, halfway through the season, 2nd bottom of the league, low in confidence, injury raddled and generally shit? 

Big Sam has been the man for these types of clubs..... 

20 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

What pish? 

Exactly,not rocket science.

31 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Gary Holt did it a few weeks ago! 

Did he fall or was he pushed?   Many people om here believed Martindale was the  real manager with Holt the respectable front man.