Stephen Robinson quits as Motherwell Manager

livi

8 minutes ago, Yoda said:

And Robinson will not be hanging about Motherwell, picking up his salary for some imaginary "medical review".

Not if he himself resigned.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Ribble

• Spellczech

34 minutes ago, Yoda said:

And Robinson will not be hanging about Motherwell, picking up his salary for some imaginary "medical review".

Dignified and doing what he thinks is best for the club.  Fair play to him.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Stendel maybe tried too much too quick 

Stendel maybe wasn’t aware of how Scottish football worked

Stendel might have been appointed at the wrong time.

But, had Peirrera been dropped earlier we wouldn’t have been bottom when the league was called and by all accounts him being in the team for as long as he was wasn’t entirely a football decision.

I’m confident enough from what I saw last season to say as a fact that had Bobby been in goals for the games Peirrera played in we wouldn’t have been bottom.

Bobby isn’t perfect but he can pull off decent saves, in particular when the ball is straight at him...

7 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

An uncomfortable truth for the Levein cheerleaders on here is that Stendel won more points as Hearts manager last season than "Our Craig".

Anyway, at least Robinson had enough respect for the club to walk away when it was clearly falling apart, rather than outstay his welcome and continue to feed the board bullshit excuses about injuries.

Do you have any stats at hand for this? Not doubling you at all, just curious for perspective. If you don't then no probs I'll have a look at London Hearts site.

21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Emotional clap trap. 

CL left as manager in November. 

He finished in the top 6 the 2 seasons before. 

Stendel taken us from 2nd bottom to bottom, 4 points adrift.  Losing the first game is irrelevant, he clearly never got the points back as the gap widened. 

His signings apart from Boyce were poor and had no impact at all. I think he signed abother 4 players all poor. 

He binned our captain without replacing him. 

He persisted with a gk that could pass rather than save as he thought that was a priority in embedding his philosophy. 

We never improved, we got worse. 

We beat Rangers and Hibs under him , funnily enough the two teams CL beat earlier on in the season as well. 

CL takes most or or part of the blame for our demotion, but Stendel played his part as well. 

Any manager that takes Hearts to second bottom over 11 games is a failure and any manger that takes us bottom from that position over a similar amount games is also a failure. 

Thankfully that won't happen under Robbie. 

levein didn't beat rangers mate, we were a sinking ship and it was ineveitable that we would go down. no manager would've saved us. sibbick wasn't a poor signing he played two games in which he was excellent in both but sadly got ill/ injured. he replied Berra by appointing Naismith as the captain and funnily enough he is still the captain. you also have to blame mcphee who failed to win most of his games as interim manager. 

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, jambocall51 said:

levein didn't beat rangers mate, we were a sinking ship and it was ineveitable that we would go down. no manager would've saved us. sibbick wasn't a poor signing he played two games in which he was excellent in both but sadly got ill/ injured. he replied Berra by appointing Naismith as the captain and funnily enough he is still the captain. you also have to blame mcphee who failed to win most of his games as interim manager. 

Fair points, got to 2-1 and 1-3  mixed up. 

Don't agree reference going down. I actually think Stendel would have kept us up  but the fact is he taken us from second bottom to bottom which imo isn't an improvement or positive in any way. Who know what "would" have happened under him or another manager. 

Sibbick was a good player, but he was far From match fit then got ill, so wasn't not much use short term. 

Shame really. 

14 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Dignified and doing what he thinks is best for the club.  Fair play to him.  

We don’t know that for sure though do we? He could just as easily have spat the dummy after being told there was no money to spend in Jan. 

The Hogfather
12 hours ago, JamTarts98 said:

Do you have any stats at hand for this? Not doubling you at all, just curious for perspective. If you don't then no probs I'll have a look at London Hearts site.

8 points from 11 games under Levein.

11 points from 14 under Stendel.

And it can be argued that Stendel had tougher fixtures to work with than Levein.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 31/12/2020 at 17:12, fila said:

Totally , Wright had the opportunity a couple of times to move on and upwards , and seemed to bottle it . Be interesting to see if Motherwell make a move for him 

They've both been linked with then passed over for jobs so many times, including the NI job which hardly has a long queue of candidates.

Gorgie Boot boy
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They've both been linked with then passed over for jobs so many times, including the NI job which hardly has a long queue of candidates.

Same arse bandits touted for every available job. Much better choices exist outside of the bubble

Derek Adams, John Robertson and of course Keith Lasley will be considered though today will not help him

Tommy Wright may be the bookies favourite

4 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

And it can be argued that Stendel had tougher fixtures to work with than Levein.

Thanks Nunya, appreciated.

Certainly it can be argued Stendel had 3 more matches to reach his total..what was he after his first 11 matches to give us a comparison based on the same number of fixtures ?

Lost 7 , drew 3 and won 1....6 points from 7th December or if we don't include the 7th December an extra point making it 7 points from 11 matches

Stats eh, don't you just love them

The Hogfather
9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Certainly it can be argued Stendel had 3 more matches to reach his total..what was he after his first 11 matches to give us a comparison based on the same number of fixtures ?

Lost 7 , drew 3 and won 1....6 points from 7th December or if we don't include the 7th December an extra point making it 7 points from 11 matches

Stats eh, don't you just love them

Feel like moving the goalposts? Cool. 4 wins in all competitions under Levein, including the mighty Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath.

5 wins under Stendel.

EDIT: We won't go into the fact that this was Leveins team. His players brought in to play his system and style of play. Not Stendels.

Edited by Nunya Business

A_A wehatethehibs

Oh wow that’s great Stendel improved the PPG from 0.72 to 0.78. Terrific 

People need to stop arguing over these ex managers. Neither of them was successful so we’ve since moved on a long time ago. But for some reason, some are unable to let go of long dead arguments. 

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Oh wow that’s great Stendel improved the PPG

Thanks for confirming my point.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Nunya Business said:

Thanks for confirming my point.

Looks like you misunderstood the stat, he improved it from shite to 0.06% less shite. Nobody cares anymore both were pish 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

People need to stop arguing over these ex managers. Neither of them was successful so we’ve since moved on a long time ago. But for some reason, some are unable to let go of long dead arguments. 

Correct

6 hours ago, Ribble said:

We don’t know that for sure though do we? He could just as easily have spat the dummy after being told there was no money to spend in Jan. 

Aye because Motherwell are loaded and known for backing managers in the transfer market.  Could Budge no have done similar to Levein and got him to fk instead of paying him off a couple of times and paying his wages for 6 months? 

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He done that while taking over a team that had won two games all season and had the worst form in the country.  Lets pretend his even nearly as culpable as Levein though. 

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Looks like you misunderstood the stat, he improved it from shite to 0.06% less shite. Nobody cares anymore both were pish 

Evidently people DO care because the discussion is being had. Pretty easy to ignore something if you don't want to read it.

26 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Aye because Motherwell are loaded and known for backing managers in the transfer market.  Could Budge no have done similar to Levein and got him to fk instead of paying him off a couple of times and paying his wages for 6 months? 

I was only talking about Robinson, budge could have done loads of things but it has zero to do with folk making Robinson out to be a holier than thou martyr to the Motherwell cause. 

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I was only talking about Robinson, budge could have done loads of things but it has zero to do with folk making Robinson out to be a holier than thou martyr to the Motherwell cause. 

He quit, saving them money, when he's realised it's all over for him.  Tell you something, I would take him here nae bother. 

23 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He quit, saving them money, when he's realised it's all over for him.  Tell you something, I would take him here nae bother. 

He will never be Hearts manager. We would never appoint him and he would never take the job, both for the same reason.

On 01/01/2021 at 03:39, Spellczech said:

If that were the case surely Morelos & Eduoard would've been sold when their stock was higher?

That's where the holding on to them longer than others can comes into the equation. Both will be gone in the next window if not this one. Currently each side has been chasing a title the significance of which I don't need to go into.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's where the holding on to them longer than others can comes into the equation. Both will be gone in the next window if not this one. Currently each side has been chasing a title the significance of which I don't need to go into.

Celtic don't seem to be chasing it very hard... I genuinely wonder if it has been decided between them that it is better for them to share 9IAR...

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Celtic don't seem to be chasing it very hard... I genuinely wonder if it has been decided between them that it is better for them to share 9IAR...

Absolutely no chance of that. And by all accounts Celtic were trying very hard indeed yesterday but faced a type of karma. They were played of the park by Rangers in last years league cup final but still won it. Karma is a bitch.

I suspect Lennon could now steal a quote from Tommy Burns with a little name change. The Burns quote.

"Put it on my tombstone - Andy Goram broke my heart."

The gaffer was gob-smacked as super stopper Goram denied his title chasing Celts with a string of wonder saves.

Lennon could now say the same thing about Alan Mcgregor.

57 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Absolutely no chance of that. And by all accounts Celtic were trying very hard indeed yesterday but faced a type of karma. They were played of the park by Rangers in last years league cup final but still won it. Karma is a bitch.

I suspect Lennon could now steal a quote from Tommy Burns with a little name change. The Burns quote.

Lennon could now say the same thing about Alan Mcgregor.

I don't believe it is the OF games which decide titles - it is the points dropped elsewhere. Eduoard's form is appalling at the moment. Mr £25m cannot be worth any more than the £9m they paid for him now, probably less...

Edited by Spellczech
posted wrong thing!

14 hours ago, Ribble said:

He will never be Hearts manager. We would never appoint him and he would never take the job, both for the same reason.

I think he would jump at the chance to manage Hearts, wouldn’t necessarily take him but I can see him in league 1 in England 

1 hour ago, James1874f said:

I think he would jump at the chance to manage Hearts, wouldn’t necessarily take him but I can see him in league 1 in England 

I really don’t think he would....Call it a hunch 😉