Stephen Robinson quits as Motherwell Manager

livi

15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

nah, but he wouldn't, in fact couldn't have done worse than Stendel.

He done much, much worse than Stendel.  What planet do you live on?  Stendel came in during utter free fall and the worst form in the country.  So what if we weren’t quite bottom but it was heading that way long before Stendel came in, that’s why Levein was sacked and McPhee made no positive difference.  Stendel loses his first game, we go down a place in the league and suddenly he’s automatically worse than Levein?  The guy who assembled the squad and spent millions on a team which should have been top six minimum but instead was joint bottom of the league? Ludicrous man. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Ribble

• Spellczech

Seymour M Hersh
33 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Did they take over a team, halfway through the season, 2nd bottom of the league, low in confidence, injury raddled and generally shit? 

Big Sam has been the man for these types of clubs..... 

They had no experience of Scottish football which seems to be your main thrust of your argument against Stendal. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

They had no experience of Scottish football which seems to be your main thrust of your argument against Stendal. 

Only if you missed the context, which giving it's a Hearts forum I didn’t think needed to be explained. 

But here goes. 

Giving the situation at the club at and the timing, a manager that knew Scottish football and could do the basics with the squad inherited would have been more effective imo. 

Trying to overhall our playing style and philosophy with a manager that had no experience of Scottish football was the wrong appointment in December with us second bottom of the league. His signings also supported that imo, we needed solid seasoned pros, not guys with no experience of Scottish football as they had to hit the ground running and no time to adapt. 

He's the type of appointment you make in the summer so he has time and a full transfer window to implement his ideas. 

He may have gotten us of bottom and he may have been a good manager longer term. 

Short term tho he was a complete shit show and not what we needed, part of that was because he had no experience of the Scottish game imo which resulted him failing to adapt quick enough most notably in his signings, the persistence with a gk that could pass rather than save  and his high press tactics. 

A manager with experience of managing in Scotland wouldn't have made these mistakes or rectified them much quicker, as they would have understood the nature of our situation and what needed to be done. 

A good example is happening now at Ross County. 

No fancy or big names, a guy that understands our game, within a few games an away win and a clean sheet. No football revolution, basics to try and get out the shit. 

Stendel for whatever reason was the wrong appointment tho, that is clear as he taken us to the bottom of the league. 

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He done much, much worse than Stendel.  What planet do you live on?  Stendel came in during utter free fall and the worst form in the country.  So what if we weren’t quite bottom but it was heading that way long before Stendel came in, that’s why Levein was sacked and McPhee made no positive difference.  Stendel loses his first game, we go down a place in the league and suddenly he’s automatically worse than Levein?  The guy who assembled the squad and spent millions on a team which should have been top six minimum but instead was joint bottom of the league? Ludicrous man. 

Emotional clap trap. 

CL left as manager in November. 

He finished in the top 6 the 2 seasons before. 

Stendel taken us from 2nd bottom to bottom, 4 points adrift.  Losing the first game is irrelevant, he clearly never got the points back as the gap widened. 

His signings apart from Boyce were poor and had no impact at all. I think he signed abother 4 players all poor. 

He binned our captain without replacing him. 

He persisted with a gk that could pass rather than save as he thought that was a priority in embedding his philosophy. 

We never improved, we got worse. 

We beat Rangers and Hibs under him , funnily enough the two teams CL beat earlier on in the season as well. 

CL takes most or or part of the blame for our demotion, but Stendel played his part as well. 

Any manager that takes Hearts to second bottom over 11 games is a failure and any manger that takes us bottom from that position over a similar amount games is also a failure. 

Thankfully that won't happen under Robbie. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Emotional clap trap. 

CL left as manager in November. 

He finished in the top 6 the 2 seasons before. 

Stendel taken us from 2nd bottom to bottom, 4 points adrift.  Losing the first game is irrelevant, he clearly never got the points back as the gap widened. 

His signings apart from Boyce were poor and had no impact at all. I think he signed abother 4 players all poor. 

He binned our captain without replacing him. 

He persisted with a gk that could pass rather than save as he thought that was a priority in embedding his philosophy. 

We never improved, we got worse. 

We beat Rangers and Hibs under him , funnily enough the two teams CL beat earlier on in the season as well. 

CL takes most or or part of the blame for our demotion, but Stendel played his part as well. 

Any manager that takes Hearts to second bottom over 11 games is a failure and any manger that takes us bottom from that position over a similar amount games is also a failure. 

Thankfully that won't happen under Robbie. 

No it’s not.  Levein had destroyed the team and was rightly sacked.  There was zero improvement under McPhee and we had the worst form in the league.  Yet Stendel loses his first game and it’s his fault we went bottom aye?   No it’s Leveins fault.  All of it.   Stendel didn’t improve the team but there is absolutely nothing to suggest we became worse.  Not one thing.  

Levein was a much much bigger failure for HMFC than a guy that was in charge for 6 months.  Levein was given time, patience resources and excuse after excuse was made for him.  Yet it’s Stendels fault?

Hardly anyone called for Neilson to come back when Levein was sacked nor when DS left, now all of a sudden thankfully he’s back and was better than him all along?  Nae bother.  Such a hypocrite man. 

Levein never beat Rangers, ever.  Before Stendel came in we had won two games in the league all season, Levein won 1 game all season before he was sacked.  Yet Stendel made us worse aye?  Before DS came in we had just been skelped 3-0 off Kille and 5-0 at Ibrox. Lost 1-0 to Motherwell and drew 0-0 with Livi.  Stendel loses narrowly in his first game and all of a sudden he is to blame for us going bottom?  Nothing to do with two wins all season and various pumpings from teams around us?  

Edited by Last Laff

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Last Laff said:

No it’s not.  Levein had destroyed the team and was rightly sacked.  There was zero improvement under McPhee and we had the worst form in the league.  Yet Stendel loses his first game and it’s his fault we went bottom aye?   No it’s Leveins fault.  All of it.   Stendel didn’t improve the team but there is absolutely nothing to suggest we became worse.  Not one thing.  

Levein was a much much bigger failure for HMFC than a guy that was in charge for 6 months.  Levein was given time, patience resources and excuse after excuse was made for him.  Yet it’s Stendels fault?

Hardly anyone called for Neilson to come back when Levein was sacked nor when DS left, now all of a sudden thankfully he’s back and was better than him all along?  Nae bother.  Such a hypocrite man. 

CL was rightly sacked. 

Stendel was a failure.

A hypocrite for backing Robbie, Wtf you on about? 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

CL was rightly sacked. 

Stendel was a failure.

A hypocrite for backing Robbie, Wtf you on about? 

Levein was a bigger failure.   That’s a fact.  

A hypocrite for making out Neilson was better all along when basically nobody suggested his return when Levein was punted (but still kicking about like a bad smell) nor when Stendel left.  

On topic, Robinson is a better manager than Neilson. 

Edited by Last Laff

Bazzas right boot

A hypocrite for making out Neilson was better all along when basically nobody suggested his return when Levein was punted (but still kicking about like a bad smell) nor when Stendel left.  

Depends, I'd say taking Hearts to the bottom of the league and 4 adrift of 11th is a bigger failure. Opinions tho. 

I never said I wanted Robbie over Stendel or said we should have went for Robbie at the time. 

I'm just happy Robbie is in charge, and has us winning games regularly again, something neither Stendel or CL could do last season. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Depends, I'd say taking Hearts to the bottom of the league and 4 adrift of 11th is a bigger failure. Opinions tho. 

I never said I wanted Robbie over Stendel or said we should have went for Robbie at the time. 

I'm just happy Robbie is in charge, and has us winning games regularly again, something neither Stendel or CL could do last season. 

No, your simply ignoring the run of form the team was on prior to Stendel coming in.  It’s not as if he lost 6 in a row to take us from top six to bottom.  We had the worst form in the league.  How is that so hard to digest?  He didn’t amend the slump but it wasn’t down to him. 

Im happy he’s in charge also but I’ve also no doubt we would be pissing this league under Stendel also if he was actually given time and resources to mould his own team. Something Levein got far too much of and Robbies been fortunate to begin again also. 

If Neilson was appointed when Stendel was I wouldn’t be confident he could stop the Levein rot either.  He couldn’t do so at MK Dons when they got relegated. 

Edited by Last Laff

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

No, your simply ignoring the run of form the team was on prior to Stendel coming in.  It’s not as if he lost 6 in a row to take us from top six to bottom.  We had the worst form in the league.  How is that so hard to digest?  He didn’t amend the slump but it wasn’t down to him. 

Im happy he’s in charge also but I’ve also no doubt we would be pissing this league under Stendel also if he was actually given time and resources to mould his own team. Something Levein got far too much of and Robbies been fortunate to begin again also. 

Not ignoring it. 

I agree, he might have been good long term but short term he was nothing but a failure

Yip, but Robbie still hasn't had a full "normal" transfer window, if he gets promoted and then in about 3rd again next season I'll be happy. 

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You still cheer-leading for Levein.

Stendal had to try and motivate the poorest assembled squad in the league.  Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to get a tune out of Levein's duds.

To think Stendal is more to blame than CL is delusion of Hobo proportions.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Stendal had to try and motivate the poorest assembled squad in the league.  Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to get a tune out of Levein's duds.

You just made all that up. 

That is not what I wrote, at all. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

On topic, Robinson is a better manager than Neilson. 

Is he on what evidence?

I would argue that both John Hughes and Tommy Wright are both better managers than Robinson as they have both won the premier cup competition in this country.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Only if you missed the context, which giving it's a Hearts forum I didn’t think needed to be explained. 

But here goes. 

Giving the situation at the club at and the timing, a manager that knew Scottish football and could do the basics with the squad inherited would have been more effective imo. 

Trying to overhall our playing style and philosophy with a manager that had no experience of Scottish football was the wrong appointment in December with us second bottom of the league. His signings also supported that imo, we needed solid seasoned pros, not guys with no experience of Scottish football as they had to hit the ground running and no time to adapt. 

He's the type of appointment you make in the summer so he has time and a full transfer window to implement his ideas. 

He may have gotten us of bottom and he may have been a good manager longer term. 

Short term tho he was a complete shit show and not what we needed, part of that was because he had no experience of the Scottish game imo which resulted him failing to adapt quick enough most notably in his signings, the persistence with a gk that could pass rather than save  and his high press tactics. 

A manager with experience of managing in Scotland wouldn't have made these mistakes or rectified them much quicker, as they would have understood the nature of our situation and what needed to be done. 

No fancy or big names, a guy that understands our game, within a few games an away win and a clean sheet. No football revolution, basics to try and get out the shit. 

Stendel for whatever reason was the wrong appointment tho, that is clear as he taken us to the bottom of the league. 

You're lucky you can praise Hughes when he's just won a very good result.

Rather than when he failed badly at Hibs and Raith Rovers. 

Not a brilliant example.

Just now, John Findlay said:

Is he on what evidence?

I would argue that both John Hughes and Tommy Wright are both better managers than Robinson as they have both won the premier cup competition in this country.

The job he done at Motherwell. Does that make Hughes and Wright better managers than Neilson too? 

John Findlay

The job he done at Motherwell. Does that make Hughes and Wright better managers than Neilson too? 

I knew you would comback with that.

My point is just as ludicrous as your own. You know that.

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I knew you would comback with that.

My point is just as ludicrous as your own. You know that.

I would say Robinson is a better manager than all three irregardless of not winning a trophy with Motherwell.  For the budget and the players he's developed then lost to constantly  have them kicking except this season has been remarkable.  

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You're lucky you can praise Hughes when he's just won a very good result.

Rather than when he failed badly at Hibs and Raith Rovers. 

Not a brilliant example.

It's not, but it's an example of a club keeping it simple with a simple choice of manager. 

He won't try and reinvent the wheel. He'll use the tools he's got the best he can. 

Stendel tried way too much, too soon and it never worked. 

Longer term and under normal circumstances he could have been refreshing and exciting., But under our circumstances he was a failure, to pretend other wise is ridiculous imo. 

Funny enough, Cathro initially done the  same thing as well, he just had us drop from 2nd to 6th. 

On topic, Robinson would have been a better bet last season, but I'm happy we have Robbie over him just now. 

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I would say Robinson is a better manager than all three irregardless of not winning a trophy with Motherwell.  For the budget and the players he's developed then lost to constantly  have them kicking except this season has been remarkable.  

Keep treading water.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's not, but it's an example of a club keeping it simple with a simple choice of manager. 

He won't try and reinvent the wheel. He'll use the tools he's got the best he can. 

Stendel tried way too much, too soon and it never worked. 

Longer term and under normal circumstances he could have been refreshing and exciting., But under our circumstances he was a failure, to pretend other wise is ridiculous imo. 

Funny enough, Cathro initially done the  same thing as well, he just had us drop from 2nd to 6th. 

On topic, Robinson would have been a better bet last season, but I'm happy we have Robbie over him just now. 

Stendel had to try something different considering we had won 2 games all season.  It's not as if he could continue that routine, he didn't have the comfort of starting from scratch in a diddy league.  He walked into a disaster zone thanks to CL. 

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Stendel had to try something different considering we had won 2 games all season.  It's not as if he could continue that routine, he didn't have the comfort of starting from scratch in a diddy league.  He walked into a disaster zone thanks to CL. 

And his something different failed. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

And his something different failed. 

Unfortunately so.   As did Austin McPhee, more time and we would have still stayed up mind you.  Under McPhee or Levein we would have been well down. 

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Unfortunately so.   As did Austin McPhee, more time and we would have still stayed up mind you.  Under McPhee or Levein we would have been well down. 

Mcphee ?

The guy is an idiot, the flying *****.

10 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Mcphee ?

The guy is an idiot, the flying *****.

I'm in full agreement.  No need to preach to me me :lol: 

Gorgie Boot boy
6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I'm in full agreement.  No need to preach to me me :lol: 

I thought you were insinuating he would of kept us up, if Crag wasn't doing his bit to **** things up

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

You don't know that either way. 

7 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I thought you were insinuating he would of kept us up, if Crag wasn't doing his bit to **** things up

No chance.  Put him in a worse bracket than Levein. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You don't know that either way. 

Considering Levein won one game all season before he was sacked and McPhee was a clown then call it an educated guess in that case. 

Gorgie Boot boy
5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

No chance.  Put him in a worse bracket than Levein. 

As did Austin McPhee, more time and we would have still stayed up mind you. 

Your words mate, maybe i am reading them wrong.

3 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

As did Austin McPhee, more time and we would have still stayed up mind you. 

Your words mate, maybe i am reading them wrong.

Stendel would have kept us up.  McPhee was in charge too long as it was, complete job for the boys that they preyed worked. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Considering Levein won one game all season before he was sacked and McPhee was a clown then call it an educated guess in that case. 

It is a guess, you are correct. 

Bazzas right boot

Stendel would have kept us up.  McPhee was in charge too long as it was, complete job for the boys that they preyed worked. 

You seem to know a lot about the outcome of alternative timelines? 

You should work on the stock exchange, make a fortune. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

You seem to know a lot about the outcome of alternative timelines? 

You should work on the stock exchange, make a fortune. 

I'm allowed an opinion.  Such as my opinion Neilson will take us up.   So would DS though. 

I think this is fair but lots of folk on here (not me) recognised we didn’t have the players to play the way he wanted or alternatively that the players would take time to adjust to DS style of play. On reflection whether he was the right appointment at the wrong time or not is debatable but for the position we were in he was yet another poor managerial choice. 

8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

McPhee was in charge too long as it was, complete job for the boys that they preyed worked. 

This is correct. Our board acted like we had all the time in the world to make an appointment.  Zero awareness of the urgency required imo. 

Gorgie Boot boy
14 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Crazy, the way i see it is we were ****ed beforehand. Then it was shut down, none of us know what may of been.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

If you look at his record with motherwell,his transfers in and out,their league positions and cup runs,it's as good as anyones in the spl.

30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think this is fair but lots of folk on here (not me) recognised we didn’t have the players to play the way he wanted or alternatively that the players would take time to adjust to DS style of play. On reflection whether he was the right appointment at the wrong time or not is debatable but for the position we were in he was yet another poor managerial choice. 

All true.  At least he tried something different to save the sinking ship though even though it failed on the whole but we had been improving before the league cut short. 

16 minutes ago, ford donald said:

If you look at his record with motherwell,his transfers in and out,their league positions and cup runs,it's as good as anyones in the spl.

Totally.  If he stays in Scotland he will do a job for wherever he goes next. 

Gorgie Boot boy

Totally.  If he stays in Scotland he will do a job for wherever he goes next. 

Why do people always say that about guff managers, no one wanted in the first place. Fall in love with every ***** that gets the gig, then watch as they drift into meritocracy.

The Hogfather

An uncomfortable truth for the Levein cheerleaders on here is that Stendel won more points as Hearts manager last season than "Our Craig".

Anyway, at least Robinson had enough respect for the club to walk away when it was clearly falling apart, rather than outstay his welcome and continue to feed the board bullshit excuses about injuries.

16 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Why do people always say that about guff managers, no one wanted in the first place. Fall in love with every ***** that gets the gig, then watch as they drift into meritocracy.

In what was is he a guff manager like?  Mediocrity is the norm for a club the size of Motherwell. 

Gorgie Boot boy
36 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

In what was is he a guff manager like?  Mediocrity is the norm for a club the size of Motherwell. 

Answered your own question.

Just now, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Answered your own question.

And he had the kicking above mediocrity despite selling loads of players and a crap wage budget. 

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Spot on! 👍

1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

An uncomfortable truth for the Levein cheerleaders on here is that Stendel won more points as Hearts manager last season than "Our Craig".

Anyway, at least Robinson had enough respect for the club to walk away when it was clearly falling apart, rather than outstay his welcome and continue to feed the board bullshit excuses about injuries.

Well said.

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

But here goes. 

Oh, developed an imaginary context have you. I'm not sure there's another poster on here that deflect, squirms and changes context to suit their agenda to match you.  It's actually quite funny to watch. 

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Oh, developed an imaginary context have you. I'm not sure there's another poster on here that deflect, squirms and changes context to suit their agenda to match you.  It's actually quite funny to watch. 

The spin that amuses me is the deflection that Levein only took us to second bottom and it was Stendel that took us to the bottom - that’s like blaming a new Captain for taking the titanic to the bottom when he was appointed after it had hit the iceberg!

Edited by Thomaso

2 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

And Robinson will not be hanging about Motherwell, picking up his salary for some imaginary "medical review".