*** Official Heart Of Midlothian versus Arbroath thread ***

cookieboy

Pasquale for King
Just now, RobNox said:

I agree.  We should pipe in some booing, it just doesn't feel the same watching the games at the moment. 

Yeah, Neilson wanted it at the start of the season, but all they had was recordings from last season bbooooooooo 🙈

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Gorgie Boot boy

• sadj

• GinRummy

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If we get temperature checks to get into games next year, half the folk on threads like this won't get in if this is how het up they get after what was a highly comfortable 3 points. They'll have worked themselves up into such a frenzy beforehand because we hadn't beaten a team 5-0 the week before.

And the cool temperature guys will still be meandering out of Tynecastle after 2-2 draws with Hamilton, having their tea and watching Ant and Dec like it doesn’t really matter cos there’s another game next week and we ‘won’t be in a relegation  fight. anyway’

What fecking ambition - avoiding a relegation fight !

Edited by JimmyCant

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

How many league goals did we score last season ?

No idea, and it's not really relevant to a comparison of Burley and Neilson teams scoring in the second half is it? 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

And the cool temperature guys will still be meandering out of Tynecastle after 2-2 draws with Hamilton, having their tea and watching Ant and Dec like it doesn’t really matter cos there’s another game next week and we ‘won’t be in a relegation  fight anyway’

If it was an awesome 2-2 draw, which happens, quite right. At least those cool guys won't spend their days worrying about imaginary games against Hamilton though.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

If it was an awesome 2-2 draw, which happens, quite right. At least those cool guys won't spend their days worrying about imaginary games against Hamilton though.

An awesome 2-2 draw with Hamilton ?

Right time for bed. This is getting silly.

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No idea, and it's not really relevant to a comparison of Burley and Neilson teams scoring in the second half is it? 

Yeah cause we are close to taking the actual tally from last season apart already.Very relevant as this is a new season. Neilson is here.

Burley can be classed as irrelevant though, drunken fool.

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I don't want Robbie sacked or the players shot.

It would be really good though if we could stop shipping really shite goals vs shite opposition. 

It would. It was interesting to hear Robbie's comments about concentration. Every bad goal we've conceded has been about concentration from my armchair. It's not a stretch to think games have a training ground feel to them for players not used to playing in empty stadiums (ie not the Arbroath players or many of the teams we play).

I know the folk who love to have a go at Robbie will call it an excuse but it mirrors what other managers have been saying about the effect of no crowds on players, especially bigger game players. With the standard of our opposition it's probably even more of a training game feel at times.

Anyhow, it's making for some cracking matches. Give me a 5-3 over a 3-0 any day of the week.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I know what my point was in relation to the original poster I quoted, what your point is with the above is beyond me. Did that poster also say we have uneventful second halves under Neilson? I must have missed his post about that.

If you are referring to me not being happy with our second half against Arbroath tonight then it may worth noting how many of those 23 second half goals this season were scored tonight, oh aye, that’ll be none.

It’s bedtime for you I think. 

Yes it was a boring second half. Have you never seen one before?

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Yeah cause we are close to taking the actual tally from last season apart already.Very relevant as this is a new season. Neilson is here.

Burley can be classed as irrelevant though, drunken fool.

Tell that to the person who brought Burley into it 😅

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

An awesome 2-2 draw with Hamilton ?

Right time for bed. This is getting silly.

It is. I appear to be talking football to someone who doesn't get football.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson and many of our players (at last) seem to have that desire though. It's been very clear this season. So why all the moaning? It's so weird and Old Firmy. We're top of the league on easy street, we're scoring for fun, and we just put on one of our finest every cup final performances in a final we lost. In fact, we've performed much better in a final vs Celtic than many other teams recently twice in two years now. Still, moan, moan, moan.

I’ve been reasonably happy the last few weeks as we’ve hit a bit of form, not great tonight but Naismith back to top form is good. 
As I said earlier on the manager has expressed his wish to be better so he obviously agrees with those having a wee moan. I also mentioned the last few years having scarred folk, the pandemic isn’t helping and possibly being at games would help miss some of the mistakes etc that you see clearly on tv. A few drinks and a chat after the game helps this too, so instead of that we’re all on here dissecting the performance.
It’s clear that some of these players are still not up to doing the job we require in the top league. As Barney has said though it’s about promotion and moving as many of this team who aren’t good enough on, and replacing them with better quality. 
Onward to Saturday where another goal fest is on the cards. 

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Tell that to the person who brought Burley into it 😅

Easy mistake to make here mate, Burley makes my blood boil. Him and his nephew.

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

We'll win it if we get a chance to play the remaining games. 

When did playing all the games become a requirement for winning a league?

And he’s not praying!
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

And the cool temperature guys will still be meandering out of Tynecastle after 2-2 draws with 10 men Hamilton

Stendel’s left thankfully, m8.

The team obviously has a mentality or attitude problem to keep going for the full match against lesser teams. We managed to do it against Celtic and Hibs. We played well after going behind to Ayr. Played reasonably well when we went behind at Dunfermline but the first hour was abysmal. It’s Neilsons job to get them to perform to their best for 90mins and they are not doing that. 

Too much ACCEPTANCE going on here. We only got relegated because of all the ACCEPTANCE. If more booing had happened we wouldn't be in this mess. If you are not booing your head off you are part of the problem. Don't ACCEPT it anymore. Show your non ACCEPTANCE by getting your arse out after an easy win because that's how we get better as a club. Change the world by grumbling on the internet.

Down with all the ACCEPTORS

The team is not playing well as a combined unit but the squad is still better than the rest of the championship clubs.  Look at the main opposition; Raith & Pars, they are dropping points when they looked liked they would give a serious challenge.

Hearts will easily win the Championship but those that expect 5-0 wins each week are delusional.  The question is what will the new DOF do in January and how will the team look come next season.

I was as annoyed as anyone last night at the second half. As someone has already said though watching all Hearts games on the couch is a different world to going to the games. It completely puts a magnifying glass to the 90 mins.

It’s not a day out anymore. There’s no pre match pint or a chat with some mates in the bookies beforehand. There’s no conversations with folk you sit beside and no Tynie atmosphere to enjoy. No journey home to go over the game or listen to post match on the radio. We’ve got 90 mins of watching a screen and we want to be entertained for the full 90 mins. 

Sooner we get back in the better. Armchair fans are bigger arseholes than normal fans. And we’re all armchair fans at the moment.

Brighton Jambo
10 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

The side dips though, that is the part where we stop putting teams away. The players are gaining match fitness. I am seeing a football side that are looking for their top form fitness etc.

I am not complaining, i was making the point that someone had said.In a way we are struggling to put them away, still winning by a country mile.We will improve on all fronts. That is where we are right now mate, i agree with your points .So i changed it to We are struggling to put teams away, when we should be burning the gas tanks dry.to set the place alight.

The wins are way more important than performances or stats, we have a winning mentality no matter who we play, still a lot more to come.

👍👍

Going in 3 nil up at half time with the game won, I can't really blame the players for a lackluster second half display.

What with players dropping like flies now with injuries (Boyce and Berra went off last night) and Kingsley, White and Ginnelly all missing I can't blame the players for conserving energy and being overcautious. We've had a tough week or so with the cup final. Main thing is we are still comfortably picking up points and increasing our lead at the top.

And he’s not praying!
7 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Going in 3 nil up at half time with the game won, I can't really blame the players for a lackluster second half display.

What with players dropping like flies now with injuries (Boyce and Berra went off last night) and Kingsley, White and Ginnelly all missing I can't blame the players for conserving energy and being overcautious. We've had a tough week or so with the cup final. Main thing is we are still comfortably picking up points and increasing our lead at the top.

Far too balanced for this place.

Five points clear at the top with a game in hand. GD of +19. I personally would have taken that before the league kicked off.

Big game coming up this Saturday.

Beat Dundee at Dens(live on the BBC Scotland channel) we go eleven points clear of them.

Beat Dunfermline in our league game at Tynecastle after that and we will have broken both of them.

Six points in our double header with Raith Rovers and the league title is in the bag.

It will be job done. Which was the goal at the outset.

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Five points clear at the top with a game in hand. GD of +19. I personally would have taken that before the league kicked off.

Big game coming up this Saturday.

Beat Dundee at Dens(live on the BBC Scotland channel) we go eleven points clear of them.

Beat Dunfermline in our league game at Tynecastle after that and we will have broken both of them.

Six points in our double header with Raith Rovers and the league title is in the bag.

It will be job done. Which was the goal at the outset.

Beating Dunfermline and Dundee won’t happen playing the way we are. I think we will lose to Dundee. 

Ex member of the SaS

Ok I admit I never saw the game but going by reports there are some issues. 

A win is a win and it's great to be top with a game in hand, however this does not solve the underlying problem.

These are professional players who tippy tappy the ball around the backs, probably due to no movement up front. This has to be addressed and quickly. It's fine to say we won and we will win the Championship but this does nothing for the future.

Why are they so poor for long periods?

Why are they not moving forward?

Why does it take going behind before they wake up?

If this is an attitude problem then the manager has to get it sorted. If it's a personnel problem then he has to get it sorted in the next window.

I am sure Robbie can see what we are seeing and I am sure he can fix it, BUT that doesn't stop the fans moaning. Fans in the ground or not we have still paid large sums to watch, what is for long periods, very poor fare.

We’ve scored more goals than the last championship team we had.

We are only a point worse off than the last championship team we had at this stage. 

10 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Beating Dunfermline and Dundee won’t happen playing the way we are. I think we will lose to Dundee. 

Yep. Winning our last 5 league games in a row, scoring 19 goals in the process. I can see how you’ve came to that conclusion 

They didn’t threaten us at all accept for the stupid mistake. 

We could have at 5 but Wighton missed two sitters.

Missing Boyce, Gino, Kingsley and second game in a week. I’m not too fussed about an average performance 

Lets beat Dundee then start worrying about performances

And btw, there were plenty games last year we played well but ended up losing. I know which i prefer

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

A win is a win and it's great to be top with a game in hand, however this does not solve the underlying problem.

These are professional players who tippy tappy the ball around the backs, probably due to no movement up front. This has to be addressed and quickly. It's fine to say we won and we will win the Championship but this does nothing for the future.

If this is an attitude problem then the manager has to get it sorted. If it's a personnel problem then he has to get it sorted in the next window.

I am sure Robbie can see what we are seeing and I am sure he can fix it, BUT that doesn't stop the fans moaning. Fans in the ground or not we have still paid large sums to watch, what is for long periods, very poor fare.

:interehjrling:

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Yep. Winning our last 5 league games in a row, scoring 19 goals in the process. I can see how you’ve came to that conclusion 

Let’s see what happens. Hopefully I’m wrong but the signs are there. 

A_A wehatethehibs

We are 5 points clear with a game in hand inside the first round of fixture, the job in hand is to get promoted and it is being executed in calm, professional fashion with no fanfare. Whether we won 6-1 or 3-1 yesterday there would still be very little satisfaction because it is a joke that we are in this league.  

22 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Dundee are rotten. Their part in what transpired in the summer will remain fresh in our players minds.  We are scoring goals for fun.

Funnier things have happened but I find it very unlikely we will lose to them, notwithstanding our seemingly inability to keep a clean sheet.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Sooner we get back in the better. Armchair fans are bigger arseholes than normal fans. And we’re all armchair fans at the moment.

This sums up most of what has been said about this game.

Having said that, the second half performance was very poor, with another crazy goal conceded.

I'm pretty sure that Robbie and his coaches weren't happy either, and probably told the players after the game. He's not going to go public with his feedback to his players. I'm also pretty sure that a few of the players we have in our current first team squad won't be in the first team next season, should we win the promotion that looks very likely.

We need to remember, that due to the demotion, our standard of player recruitment was never going to be the same as it would have been had we still been in the Premiership. Wage restraints and better players not wanting to be in the Championship were always going to challenge the quality we could bring in. Robbie can't be blamed for the squad he inherited. He managed to move on quite a few of them. Can anyone think of somebody they weren't happy about us letting go? 

We are top of the Championship and looking far more consistent than the teams that are expected to challenge us. There is much room for improvement, which I'm optimistic that the current coaching team will provide.

20 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Top teams do not turn in a second half performance like we witnessed last night. There is a general sloppiness in our play, which after the games we have played should have been ironed out.

The fact we had to go 2-1 down to QoS before realising we had to start playing should not happen either.

It is as if we think we just need to turn up pass the ball sideways and backwards and we will run out winners. We should be building a winning mentality, and showing teams we are a force to be reckoned with. To watch Arbroath looking the hungrier team for 45 minutes is not acceptable.

Robbie Neilson neeeds to get the players motivated for 90 minutes and not accept a reduction in our standards, otherwise we will struggle against Dundee who will be looking for revenge.

2 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Top teams do not turn in a second half performance like we witnessed last night. There is a general sloppiness in our play, which after the games we have played should have been ironed out.

Can you give an example of a top team that doesn't turn in second half performances like last night, or that has never went behind in a game to come back and win it?

It was a dire second half, no argument.  But a big part of that is down to an Arbroath team who, even at 3-0 down, showed no interest in making a game of it.  Their goal came from an absolute gift from us.  Other than that, did they have a go and open up, leaving spaces we could exploit?  Nope, they sat in and seemed to accept that a 2 or 3 goal defeat was just dandy.

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Too much ACCEPTANCE going on here. We only got relegated because of all the ACCEPTANCE. If more booing had happened we wouldn't be in this mess. If you are not booing your head off you are part of the problem. Don't ACCEPT it anymore. Show your non ACCEPTANCE by getting your arse out after an easy win because that's how we get better as a club. Change the world by grumbling on the internet.

Down with all the ACCEPTORS

Don't worry.

I never accept the shite spewing from self entitled armchair experts. 

Football on the other hand is a bit harder.

The 'I'm not going to accept this' brigade have made fair points. But they're proven to be not good enough to do anything about it. The pressure to succeed is helpful. But that's all. 

18 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Dundee are rotten. Their part in what transpired in the summer will remain fresh in our players minds.  We are scoring goals for fun.

Funnier things have happened but I find it very unlikely we will lose to them, notwithstanding our seemingly inability to keep a clean sheet.

If they beat us they will only be 5 point behind despite being rotten. I agree with you by the way that they are poor and we should beat them but we lost our last “big” test in this league because we played with the wrong attitude. We need to be at it from the start and our sloppy slow play in that second half last night doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

If they beat us they will only be 5 point behind despite being rotten. I agree with you by the way that they are poor and we should beat them but we lost our last “big” test in this league because we played with the wrong attitude. We need to be at it from the start and our sloppy slow play in that second half last night doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

Since the Pars game, the team have certainly responded. That game in itself, had we taken just a couple of the glaring chances we got, we would have won the match. 

If the team can perform to a high level consistently over 90 minutes, that would be great. It’s rare that any team does though. 

I’d be inclined to agree - regarding our 2nd half performance last night. However, the flip side is - if we perform like we did in the first half or like we did in the second half against Ayr and build up a good lead, I can’t see Dundee getting anything. 

When you look at Naismith in the second half you can see that he is not happy with that performance. 

If he can see it you would like to think the coaching staff are thinking that way also. 

Watching Neilson I got the impression he is not over enamoured with the second 45 mins. 

The faces that come in during this window might be an indication of how he really views this squad and there will be additions no doubt about that. 

The Apprentice
26 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

The fact we had to go 2-1 down to QoS before realising we had to start playing should not happen either.

It is as if we think we just need to turn up pass the ball sideways and backwards and we will run out winners. We should be building a winning mentality, and showing teams we are a force to be reckoned with. To watch Arbroath looking the hungrier team for 45 minutes is not acceptable.

Robbie Neilson neeeds to get the players motivated for 90 minutes and not accept a reduction in our standards, otherwise we will struggle against Dundee who will be looking for revenge.

Can’t agree with the highlighted part at all. The 2nd half was woeful but Arbroath did not look ‘hungry’ in any way and didn’t look to do anything other than camp in their own half and frustrate us. Their goal came from an aimless punt forward which we didn’t deal with and that was it. 

Gorgie Boot boy
31 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

When did we go 2-1 down against QOS ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

To be fare, if you are happy to pay for and watch that lillian gish and not push for better then you will get much more of the same and going by previous years you will get bucketloads of it!

Lilian gish would sum you up well. Simple. Dont pay for it

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

My point wasn’t necessarily about the poor performance per se - and there’s been a few poor performances - rather certain people’s willingness to just accept it. According to the commentary on the match RN didn’t appear to be happy about it and was trying to drive them on. Pretty weird that the manager of the club is attempting to set standards way above what a number of posters on here are happy to accept. Then again some of those posters willingly accepted the mediocrity of CL that got us her in the first place. 

Neilson has touched on the point several times. It is difficult driving the players on from apparently comfortable positions without a crowd. 

You see on Saturday the reaction to going behind. I am going to say at times it's feeling too easy for the players 

4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

When you look at Naismith in the second half you can see that he is not happy with that performance. 

If he can see it you would like to think the coaching staff are thinking that way also. 

Watching Neilson I got the impression he is not over enamoured with the second 45 mins. 

The faces that come in during this window might be an indication of how he really views this squad and there will be additions no doubt about that. 

Good post. Coach identifies issues and looks to solve em approach.

1 hour ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Don’t think you’ve factored in how the opposition are playing. They aren’t rangers and Celtic, they’re not even Kilmarnock and st mirren ffs. They are shite is what they are. 

41 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

We are not a top team ffs.  If we scored another 4 in the second half we still wouldn’t be a top team. We are playing in a diddy league against a pile of shite. We’ll pish this league and need to sort out key positions and lack of pace and tenacity in the side before next season. Until then, what we have, how we’re playing and the results we will get are good enough to win the league and that’s what it’s all about. 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

:rofl: 

Gorgie Boot boy
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Whinge when we're winning ,

you only whinge when we're winning

Whinge when we're winning,

you only whinge when we're winning

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

52 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

We aren't a top team.