Fears for Hamilton’s future

ritchies75

https://news.stv.tv/sport/fears-for-hamiltons-future-after-council-stop-renting-offices

Hamilton chief executive Colin McGowan has expressed his “overwhelming fears” for the future of the club after council bosses decided to stop renting offices at Foys Stadium.

In a 2800-word open letter, McGowan expressed his “bewilderment” at the decision of South Lanarkshire Council and the Lanarkshire Valuation Joint Board not to renew a 20-year lease.

McGowan warned he would have 168 sleepless nights trying to figure out how to replace the annual rental income, which is worth about £300,000.

Addressing his “distress, anger and overwhelming fears for the club’s future” to council chief executive Cleland Sneddon, he wrote: “I have thought about your decision to terminate the lease at great length and I cannot see, apart from their own beneficial reasons, how this will benefit the community.

Reasons I assume are merely financial and not based on the impact it will have on so many who rely on the community work that goes on inside the doors of HAFC.

“We will now bear the responsibility of replacing this vital income which as I am sure SLC are more than aware, will not be an easy task given the unforeseen circumstances 2020 has brought upon us all.”

McGowan added: “HAFC are committed to changing lives through ensuring the people in the community we serve feel safe, are better connected and more socially cohesive and in turn have improved family relationships through the support packages we provide.

“It is therefore my astonishment at the decision that has been made to vacate the premises on 21st May next year and I feel strongly that SLC are completely neglecting their responsibility and duty of care to the local community and are therefore denying the capacity for change.”

Edited by ritchies75

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Thomaso

• Mikey1874

• Shanks said no

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apart from their own beneficial reasons I cannot see why....

I've turned the quote around slightly  but when you look at it that way....

Personally, I thought that was how life,business, on the whole works. 

Edit - of course being the council a duty of care is as important as money, or should be.   Then again, saving costs may have social benefits elsewhere.

Edited by DETTY29

Wait...is he seriously suggesting the council should keep on a lease they don’t need purely to grant £300k a year to a football team.

Aside from the fact he doesn’t seem to grasp it’s just the way of the world, it shows a general lack of awareness as to how different arms of the council will have to operate independently etc, which is surprising from a CEO of any business really

I'll be honest. I can't even see how they function in the top league.

They must have about 600 season ticket holders.

Credit to them as they always seem to stay up mind.

It’s the way of the world now. Loads of big businesses and councils have realised that employees can work from home and be just as efficient. So why pay for premises and have unnecessary overheads?

unlucky. 

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Apart from their own beneficial reasons I cannot see why....

I've turned the quote around slightly  but when you look at it that way....

Personally, I thought that was how life,business, on the whole works. 

It actually made me LOL.

The guy is actually outraged at the idea he'll have the onerous task of finding the money (which the council know won't be easy !!  😅).  

A while since I've seen anything as self serving as that statement. 

16 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Diddums.

I won't lose one second of sleep wondering how Hamilton will recoup that £300k a year.

This. Not a single second of sleep. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

It actually made me LOL.

The guy is actually outraged at the idea he'll have the onerous task of finding the money (which the council know won't be easy !!  😅).  

A while since I've seen anything as self serving as that statement. 

Exactly what I thought and it made me think of the kind of dimwits Ann and co were trying to deal with this summer 

Surely you can still benefit the community without renting out some office space, no? Or being in the Premiership?

Bringing up how hard it will be to fill office space thanks to these unprecedented times 🤣 dry your ****ing eyes and take your medicine.

God bless our benefactors.

:verysmug:

Fecking sure if I was a local tax payer experiencing pot holes, ungritted roads, littered streets, etc. I'd be demanding we stopped paying a shitty fitba club £300,000 a year for some office space.

2 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Fecking sure if I was a local tax payer experiencing pot holes, ungritted roads, littered streets, etc. I'd be demanding we stopped paying a shitty fitba club £300,000 a year for some office space.

Guaranteed. Chances are you’d be a hun or a Tim if you lived there anyway. 

Edit: not you personally but you get my drift. 

Edited by GinRummy

Mind they lost a million pounds to some telephone scam.  They wanted RBS to repay the cash.  What a sense of entitlement they seem to have.

Hopefully the Council stand firm and tell them to GTF, like RBS did.

Edinburgh Cooncil rented a space in our old stand to hold sone old gym kit for a couple of hundred grand when we were in dire straights so don’t knock it. 

They are on the brink. Didn’t even bother to sell season tickets this year. Streams must be low. This story was announced ages ago. Seemed like they were pushing for a discount 

Gutted at this news.   Dirty rotten cooncil .....who do they think they are ?

2 possible remedies though -

a)  get Celtic to open up a club shop in the vacant space to sell their sh1t to local Tims

b)  just reduce the club's budget by 300k.

Simples.   :greggy:

Sign of the times. 

Demand for office space will be at an all time low and lots of leases wont be renewed.

I'm not sure how much free space, if any we have in the Main stand but it'll be difficult to shift. 

GTF Hamilton

8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Gutted at this news.   Dirty rotten cooncil .....who do they think they are ?

2 possible remedies though -

a)  get Celtic to open up a club shop in the vacant space to sell their sh1t to local Tims

b)  just reduce the club's budget by 300k.

c) shut up shop and divide any cash leftover between their three fans. 

Simples.   :greggy:

Renting space at Accies’ stadium currently costs just over £300,000-a-year so the board are set to save money with rent at David Dale House set to be around £100,000-a-year.

South Lanarkshire Council are expected to spend £100,000 to “address any dilapidations” with LVJB’s current office in Accies’ North Stand.

1x1.png

SLC currently lease David Dale House but only occupy two of the three floors, meaning space is available for LVJB until August 2030 when the current lease ends.