Fears for Hamilton’s future

ritchies75

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Different era 20 years ago. Councils had more money.

This deal coincides with move to new stadium and was most likely as part of deal for the move. 

I’m sure they can find a better use for this money, probably not though. Maybe the crooks that run Hamilton didn’t grease the right palms. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Thomaso

• Mikey1874

• Shanks said no

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rent from the council was always part of their business model. They used to boast about it and say that they could survive without any home fans, which they have struggled to attract, as the clubs budget is based on the rental, sponsorship and league income. Credit to them for the community work they do and they have produced 3 or 4 cracking youngsters including McCarthy and McArthur.

Just now, cocomac said:

The rent from the council was always part of their business model. They used to boast about it and say that they could survive without any home fans, which they have struggled to attract, as the clubs budget is based on the rental, sponsorship and league income. Credit to them for the community work they do and they have produced 3 or 4 cracking youngsters including McCarthy and McArthur.

There's a reason it was a 20 year agreement. Hamilton can't expect it to be rolled on indefinitely especially as their justification seems be that they want it as a form of subsidy.

4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

There's a reason it was a 20 year agreement. Hamilton can't expect it to be rolled on indefinitely especially as their justification seems be that they want it as a form of subsidy.

👍

Ex member of the SaS

I cannot see, apart from their own beneficial reasons,

Does that complete wombat not see the irony in this part of his statement?

Nothing like looking out for your own interests is there?

Living in South Lanarkshire, I dont know who I dislike more - The Council with the most employees earning over £150k per year! or the Bloody Accies.

Typical Council unaccounted waste, with offices you would be lucky to Rent out for £50k per year. So if it means getting potholes fixed and roads gritted - See Ya Accies.....

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Does he expect Hamilton taxpayers to subsidise other small businesses by paying for things they can't use or just his?

How about the 10,000 Hamilton residents that go to their games........oh wait!

A_A wehatethehibs

Surprised this “council renting the offices” deal was even legal in the first place. Sounds shady to me. Fingers crossed financial oblivion awaits for both Hamilton council and football club. 

14 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

How about the 10,000 Hamilton residents that go to their games........oh wait!

That would be 1 in 5 of there residents.

Going to by your comment,we should have 50k attendances,and that's being  generous  and giving Hibs 50k as well :whistling:

Anyone who thinks this mob will be a loss to football have rocks in their head. Auchinleck/Bonnyrigg Rose/Penicuik can offer more than them. They took 60 fans to Ibrox last year and it's a twenty minute drive ffs.

Time for them to take their medicine.......

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

All I take away from this is, they aren't a football club.

They're a property management company that happen to own a football pitch.

Goodbye.

FTFY 

I like how it's "oh, you can't! What about the community!?" When the reality is "oh, you can't! We need to to survive!" 

The football world has moved on, and not for the better. Hamilton's old Douglas Park was a good enough stadium for them and the monstrosity they now play in isn't top League football level. Some non-league clubs down south play in better surroundings. They are just another needy club holding on to the coat-tails of the old firm. Goodbye!

15 hours ago, ritchies75 said:

https://news.stv.tv/sport/fears-for-hamiltons-future-after-council-stop-renting-offices

Hamilton chief executive Colin McGowan has expressed his “overwhelming fears” for the future of the club after council bosses decided to stop renting offices at Foys Stadium.

In a 2800-word open letter, McGowan expressed his “bewilderment” at the decision of South Lanarkshire Council and the Lanarkshire Valuation Joint Board not to renew a 20-year lease.

McGowan warned he would have 168 sleepless nights trying to figure out how to replace the annual rental income, which is worth about £300,000.

Addressing his “distress, anger and overwhelming fears for the club’s future” to council chief executive Cleland Sneddon, he wrote: “I have thought about your decision to terminate the lease at great length and I cannot see, apart from their own beneficial reasons, how this will benefit the community.

Reasons I assume are merely financial and not based on the impact it will have on so many who rely on the community work that goes on inside the doors of HAFC.

“We will now bear the responsibility of replacing this vital income which as I am sure SLC are more than aware, will not be an easy task given the unforeseen circumstances 2020 has brought upon us all.”

McGowan added: “HAFC are committed to changing lives through ensuring the people in the community we serve feel safe, are better connected and more socially cohesive and in turn have improved family relationships through the support packages we provide.

“It is therefore my astonishment at the decision that has been made to vacate the premises on 21st May next year and I feel strongly that SLC are completely neglecting their responsibility and duty of care to the local community and are therefore denying the capacity for change.”

They won’t be alone in not renewing.  One of the dangers to the economy of working from home.  If it works, why would employers rent so many offices?   One or two small ones for the occasional get together will be fine. 

Shame they are one of the first to be impacted, though. 

:lol: 

:pleasing: 

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

No doubt the SG will step in. After all isn't Hamilton an SNP hotbed 

The same SG that apparently despises all things football?

3 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Imagine a football club basing their survival on renting out some offices. Tin pot as it comes, embarrassing.

Tbf there's nothing bad about diversifying your income.

2 hours ago, Tott said:

That would be 1 in 5 of there residents.

Going to by your comment,we should have 50k attendances,and that's being  generous  and giving Hibs 50k as well :whistling:

You don’t do satire do you.....

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Tbf there's nothing bad about diversifying your income.

By the sound of it they have all their eggs in the one basket.

7 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

By the sound of it they have all their eggs in the one basket.

Agree and hard to feel sorry for them.

16 hours ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

All I take away from this is, they aren't viable as a football club.

They're a property management company that happen to own a football pitch.

Goodbye.

Pretty good summation of the situation.

As for their local community stuff : If I could con the council tax payers of SLC into chucking £300,000 at me every year I am pretty sure I could suffer giving space to a couple of beardy social workers and the junkies they deal with. 

6 hours ago, Section Q said:

Anyone who thinks this mob will be a loss to football have rocks in their head. Auchinleck/Bonnyrigg Rose/Penicuik can offer more than them. They took 60 fans to Ibrox last year and it's a twenty minute drive ffs.

Agree with sentiments, none of these clubs will be remotely close to achieving status for s good few years.

Brora Rangers are close, big fan base there, eh?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Agree with sentiments, none of these clubs will be remotely close to achieving status for s good few years.

Brora Rangers are close, big fan base there, eh?

Not much folk in that area. Golf the primary sport too

coatbridgejambo

Wouldn't be missed as they bring fekall to the Scottish game.but then the same could be said about a few others.

3 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Pretty good summation of the situation.

As for their local community stuff : If I could con the council tax payers of SLC into chucking £300,000 at me every year I am pretty sure I could suffer giving space to a couple of beardy social workers and the junkies they deal with. 

Hugely unfair. Some female social workers don’t have beards. 

Weakened Offender
8 hours ago, Section Q said:

We took about 250 to Celtic Park last year. 

8 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Imagine a football club basing their survival on renting out some offices. Tin pot as it comes, embarrassing.

Yes, and incredible too that they don't appear to have put any contingency plan in place in the event that the lease was not renewed, they've just assumed that it would be.  

5 hours ago, Tott said:

Sorry didnt realise you were trying to be funny...😞

God loves a trier......