• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• ri Alban

• John Findlay

• been here before

Carl Fredrickson

Scored the greatest goal I have seen at a world cup. He also scored another in the same game when he beat 4 or 5 players. 

As has been said, growing up and being able to watch him on TV was a privilege. A genius on the pitch and a troubled soul off it. (Similar to Gazza).

RiP Diego

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Scored the greatest goal I have seen at a world cup. He also scored another in the same game when he beat 4 or 5 players. 

As has been said, growing up and being able to watch him on TV was a privilege. A genius on the pitch and a troubled soul off it. (Similar to Gazza).

RiP Diego

In footballing terms Gazza was miles behind Diego but perhaps in terms of the mind they have had many similar issues

41 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Bloody hell but the rodents are appearing on social media already. People willing to celebrate someone’s death because of a handball decades ago. 
A great player and a hugely flawed human. 

Its the "little Englander" brigade, who believe Boris will bring back the empire and make England great again.

been here before
25 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Absolute genius on a football pitch! Thoughts n prayers with the family, R.I.P 

10 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

2020 needs to GTF.

RIP

Best I ever saw.

On our way to a full house.

Shanks said no

Gary Lineker puts his foot in it: England star who faced Diego Maradona at 1986 World Cup says 'hopefully he'll find comfort in the hands of God'

Seems to have caused a bit of a stir

The greatest. 

Amazing to think we were so close to seeing him grace Tynecastle at the peak of his powers. I never saw him play live, but once saw him hanging out of his box (probably metaphorically as well as literally) whipping up the crowd at La Bombonera in a Buenos Aires derby. That was quite something. 

8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Gary Lineker puts his foot in it: England star who faced Diego Maradona at 1986 World Cup says 'hopefully he'll find comfort in the hands of God'

I dont blame Lineker, he was in the England team when he blatantly cheated.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Isn’t cheating if you get away with it. 

11 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If you can't say anything without an element of bitterness over someone's death, best just shut up. Esp when you know thousands of low profile folk think of  the same quip

Shanks said no
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Which is fine if you are playing to a little englander audience, not quite so as it’s been picked up in South America. 

33 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Died 15 years to the day after George Best. 

Maradona thought that Best was the greatest of all time.

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Which is fine if you are playing to a little englander audience, not quite so as it’s been picked up in South America. 

Gary Lineker the Englishman, would naturally play to an English audience. I have no qualms with that.

Just seen this. 

What a player. Phenomenal. He wasn't just a luxury player like some would expect, he worked hard for his team, he tracked back, put tackles in. The ultimate midfielder. 

His touch, footballing intelligence and ability to put the ball anywhere was incredible. 

Rest in peace great one. 

1 minute ago, Stokesy said:

Maradona thought that Best was the greatest of all time.

So did Pele.  

Maradona though.  Incredible player. A debate can change in a second as to who you think was the greatest as you begin to remember of all the majestic players there has been. 

He’s simply in that bracket of being one of the best ever, no argument. And it’s an exclusive club. 

RIP

29 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Lineker is the only one who doesn't hold a grudge against wee Diego. He'd have done it himself. 

Edited by ri Alban

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Peebo said:

The greatest. 

Amazing to think we were so close to seeing him grace Tynecastle at the peak of his powers. I never saw him play live, but once saw him hanging out of his box (probably metaphorically as well as literally) whipping up the crowd at La Bombonera in a Buenos Aires derby. That was quite something. 

That sounds like an experience, such a weird stadium but as passionate as it comes. A pure rivalry, not based on hundreds of years old history. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, ri Alban said:

Lineker is the only one who does hold a grudge against wee Diego. He'd have done it himself. 

He dived for plenty of penalties himself. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He dived for plenty of penalties himself. 

GL was a fantastic striker. Between him and Jimmy Greaves for their greatest ever striker. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

RIP Diego 

Saw him at Hampden in June 79, probably the greatest player I ever saw. 

Should have played at Tynecastle if JC  had scored 

Possibly the worst thing about German woodwork,  and the JC chance. So close to witnessing the greatest football player of our lifetime 

I remember that the great Robbo, in a semi-final against Aberdeen at Hampden, knocked the ball into the goal with his hand in a diving 'header'.

Did I complain?

Nope.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Was it 2-0 ? if so its a bit daft going on about a goal that decided nothing. 

Anyway we can talk, Joe Jordan did the same to win that penalty against Wales. 

They are footballers not angels. 

RIP Diego. 

Malinga the Swinga
40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Lineker is the only one who doesn't hold a grudge against wee Diego. He'd have done it himself. 

Lineker interviewed Maradona and always said he bore no grudge. It's what professionals do. 

Another who saw him at Hampden when he was just starting out and at that time, we didn't see foreign games on TV so he was unknown player with fantastic reputation. 

He tore what was a good Scotland team apart and did it with a smile on his face. 

He was also a tough little player who could really mix it at a time tackling was brutal. The Barca Cup final in Spain is just unbelievable with the fighting something you won't ever see again. 

Just now, luckydug said:

RIP Diego. 

2-1.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

RIP Diego. 

It was 2-1 as Lineker scored near end. 

51 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Did he not present a documentary years back where he met up with Diego. Complete mutual respect although Lineker was in awe of Diego’s hero status in Argentina. 

ToadKiller Dog

He certainly lived a full life in those 60 years .

While you shouldn't celebrate some his flaws ,they were part of what made him such a player a legend .

Would he have been allowed such a life in the modern game ?.

When I was a kid in the mid 80s playing football on the street you always wanted to be the one to shout out im Maradona first .

RiP Maradona.