Diego Maradona R.I.P. (merged threads)

King prawn

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It was 2-1 as Lineker scored near end. 

Even later he had a chance to equalise if he flung himself into a scramble right in front of goal. But did he? No of course not. Lineker was a clinical striker but get involved in stramash he did not. There's a reason why was never yellow or red carded in his career.

Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Maradonna.

Edited by SwindonJambo

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• ri Alban

• John Findlay

• been here before

4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Even later he had a chance to equalise if he flung himself into a scramble right in front of goal. But did he? No of course not. Lineker was a clinical striker but get involved in stramash he did not. There's a reason why was never yellow or red carded in his career.

Not sure anyone has, except he scored in that game. 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

To be fair, the Argentinian defender back headed Barnes Cross from almost off the line, but yes, he could have armed it in. That's football, you live and die on split second decisions. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Isn’t cheating if you get away with it. 

Cunning might be a better way to put it. Or guile. Admirable qualities both. Nobody demonises the player who shouts for a throw in that isn't his and gets it. 

I'm another who was inspired to get into football by him. 

20201125_191906.thumb.jpg.4ffc205efb9b1c0e48d9df71fe8dda09.jpg1950.thumb.jpg.56d13690a44805d208947393b6e0cf62.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not sure anyone has, except he scored in that game. 

IIRC he was the top scorer at the 86 & 90 World Cups. 

I just watched him say his 'hand of god' goal wasn't cheating.

Wonder if "the beard", as he called him, will have anything to say about that!

Rest in peace.

been here before
15 minutes ago, Smack said:

Cunning might be a better way to put it. Or guile. Admirable qualities both. Nobody demonises the player who shouts for a throw in that isn't his and gets it. 

I'm another who was inspired to get into football by him. 

20201125_191906.thumb.jpg.4ffc205efb9b1c0e48d9df71fe8dda09.jpg1950.thumb.jpg.56d13690a44805d208947393b6e0cf62.jpg

That bottom one is rather misleading. Rather than all those Belgians marking him due to his supreme talent, its just a wall thats broken with Maradina havung received a short free kick. The Belgians won the game 1-0. The next kick of the ball was him trying to chip the ball over the players and failing. 

The bottom one is the same picture from a different angle.

Maradona-grab5-001-1.jpg.632a48c10f74cb955cc55a76e0cc6bfa.jpg

1 minute ago, been here before said:

That bottom one is rather misleading. Rather than all those Belgians marking him due to his supreme talent, its just a wall thats broken with Maradina havung received a short free kick. The Belgians won the game 1-0. The next kick of the ball was him trying to chip the ball over the players and failing. 

The bottom one is the same picture from a different angle.

Maradona-grab5-001-1.jpg.632a48c10f74cb955cc55a76e0cc6bfa.jpg

Well I knew that really but where's the fun in that? The first pic I posted is more misleading imo as it appears to show a handball despite all concerned agreeing it was a header.

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

And to think we were 1 John Colquhoun chance away from having him at the olde style Tynecastle. What an occasion that would have been.

I was there in Munich when it happened, if only, words spoken by many a Jambo.

RIP Diego Maradona a flawed genius. 

52 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

RIP Diego. Only Pele comes close

Is the right answer.  Then followed by Ronaldo, Messi and Zidane.  

gorgie rd eh11
16 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Aye cos they never cheated

The whole he's a "cheat" thing is pathetic. Lineker, Shearer, Owen etc. all threw themselves about to gain penalties. The current crop like Sterling, Vardy and Rashford all "cheat" whenever the opportunity arises. The quite rightly lauded Rashford throws himself about in every game he plays, but he's not a "dirty foreigner", pathetic.

4 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

The whole he's a "cheat" thing is pathetic. Lineker, Shearer, Owen etc. all threw themselves about to gain penalties. The current crop like Sterling, Vardy and Rashford all "cheat" whenever the opportunity arises. The quite rightly lauded Rashford throws himself about in every game he plays, but he's not a "dirty foreigner", pathetic.

Lineker? I don't think he got even a yellow card in his career mate. Say what you like about him but he was a good, honest pro.

I'm not saying he never took a single dive (that human being doesn't exist) but he had no reputation at all for that stuff.

A Shoreditch Heart
10 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Is the right answer.  Then followed by Ronaldo, Messi and Zidane.  

erm - Best, Charlton, Law - Dave Mackay and Jimmy Greeves, Keegan and Dalgleish - Platinni or maybe Cruyff...

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Lineker? I don't think he got even a yellow card in his career mate. Say what you like about him but he was a good, honest pro.

I'm not saying he never took a single dive (that human being doesn't exist) but he had no reputation at all for that stuff.

The 1990 Cameroon team would probably disagree with you on this.

4 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

erm - Best, Charlton, Law - Dave Mackay and Jimmy Greeves, Keegan and Dalgleish - Platinni or maybe Cruyff...

Indeed, they follow after that top 5.  Don’t forget Beckenbaur 😉

1 minute ago, Stokesy said:

The 1990 Cameroon team would probably disagree with you on this.

As I said, I'm not saying he never took a dive

All roads lead to Gorgie

Shocked to hear but sadly somehow not surprised. Such a pity that someone with so much talent has gone so young but he is not the first and won't be last sporting star to succumb to the pressure of fame and it's downside of addictions. 

R I P Diego, you lit up the game of football for so many.

N Lincs Jambo

Great great player. Only saw him the once in the flesh, Hampden 1979. Not surprised by the news due to his long standing substance issues but what a life. Crammed more living into 60 years than many would manage given 600 years. RIP the greatest I ever saw in the flesh.

1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Great great player. Only saw him the once in the flesh, Hampden 1979. Not surprised by the news due to his long standing substance issues but what a life. Crammed more living into 60 years than many would manage given 600 years. RIP the greatest I ever saw in the flesh.

I was too young but my dad talked about that game for many years after, says he was 18 and just incredible 

Jack Torrance

Rip Diego. Being the greatest is a matter of opinions and will be debated forever.

For me, the ones in the top tier are Maradona, Pele and Best closely followed by Messi, Ronaldo and Zidane.

Diego was my favourite. 

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, Smithee said:

I was too young but my dad talked about that game for many years after, says he was 18 and just incredible 

He was Smithee. It’s funny looking back on it but the home crowd was not in awe of the World Champions and many were giving the team dogs abuse for not skelping them. Maradona was one of the main reasons I went. Argentina WC holders and all the talk was of this young lad. I was 16 but remember it like it was yesterday 

1 hour ago, drumie jambo said:

Couldnae lace Robbo's boots

Couldn’t even lace his own boots apparently 😉

Edited by Boy Daniel
Add link 😬

4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Was unfortunate not to get to play at Tynecastle in '89 and he never seemed to get over the disappointment. 

I was thinking the same, one of my great regrets when we should have beaten Bayern over the two legs, was that we lost out on the chance to see Maradona play at Tynie.  I'm not sure he would have coped with the intense atmosphere and Jimmy Sandison being deployed to mark him out of the game!

Joking aside, iirc Napoli thrashed Bayern 5-0 in Naples, so we probably avoided a good hiding, but I'd have taken that to see him play against us.

R.I.P

I've heard he was one of the greatest footballers ever, I have seen some clips online and he looks very similar to messi in style of play, He played before my time but I have huge respect for what he has achieved in the game. 

3 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

IIRC he was the top scorer at the 86 & 90 World Cups. 

Didn't score at all at Italian 9o, however he famously set up canigia for his winner verses Brazil 

Shooter McGavin

I judge who I think is the best footballer of all time based on how they carried their team and what they achieved, rather than players who pad their goal tallies out at teams who are head and shoulders above the opposition.

So for me, Maradona winning a league title with the then minnows Napoli, and winning a World Cup on his own essentially, secures his place as the greatest in my opinion.

Regarded as a god in Naples & Argentina. 

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

R.I.P

I've heard he was one of the greatest footballers ever, I have seen some clips online and he looks very similar to messi in style of play, He played before my time but I have huge respect for what he has achieved in the game. 

As people have said if you ask Argentinians who their best ever player has been, they all to a person say Maradona (over Messi)

The best player ever. Single handedly winning a World Cup, single handedly winning the best league in the world with a small club, all on variable pitches and being assaulted by thugs. RIP Diego, we will never see your like again. 

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I judge who I think is the best footballer of all time based on how they carried their team and what they achieved, rather than players who pad their goal tallies out at teams who are head and shoulders above the opposition.

So for me, Maradona winning a league title with the then minnows Napoli, and winning a World Cup on his own essentially, secures his place as the greatest in my opinion.

Regarded as a god in Naples & Argentina. 

Only titles Napoli have ever won. Won the 86 World Cup virtually on his own and got them to the Final 4 years later losing to the Klinsman dive for a winning penalty

Wonder why the English are disliked when it comes to football. I'm on another english based forum, very little nice being said about him but a few comments are unbelievable. "Probably not amongst the greatest ever" and 'not as good as gazza' were amongst the comments. Really are full of their own self importance.

Hes a Legend, better than the characterless charisma vacuums football is full of now. Trained to play and handle the media all in the same way. one of the greatest ever. RIP Diego 💙