Jump to content

Liam Boyce


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

said last night that he would have scored that Boyce chance mind you so would have anyone

I'd play Wighton through the middle next game. Boyce needs dropped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Lambo85

    14

  • Riccarton3

    12

  • Pasquale for King

    11

  • davemclaren

    11

Hearts007
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I'd play Wighton through the middle next game. Boyce needs dropped. 

would have naismith up front as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelly Terraces

Maybe he's just a bit sleepy having to watch the slow turgid shite that takes place before the ball ever gets anywhere our forwards. I know I am. Side to side & hoof... 😴

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Shark
50 minutes ago, jambonian said:

 

The two problem areas for me that i hoped would be rectified at the start of the season was the need for a striker and a solid central defender. Certain individuals have posted replies to this point taking the mick thinking they're smart-arses but last night for me was exactly the problems i expected although hoped we'd get away with. We looked desperate for a striker as Naismith and Boyce were not up to scratch and Wighton was played out of position. This really showed as we tried to get forward with nothing being effective enough. Same with the defence, all over the place when Dunfermline were in and around our box. Popescu was as well not being there. That goal that was deflected into the net...amateurish at best. We need a dominant centre-half in the team. If we don't then there's a lot more of last night to come this season.

To be fair to Halkett and Popescu we lost the game in midfield last night. Haliday and Lee were terrible and not for the first time this season Lee was culpable at the first goal, with his half arsed attempt to close down the ball, he did or didn't do exactly the same at Dundee's first goal, which ever way you look at it.  We are definitely short of one, maybe even two strikers, but signing another two piss poor wingers is more of a concern.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jambonian
1 minute ago, Paul Shark said:

To be fair to Halkett and Popescu we lost the game in midfield last night. Haliday and Lee were terrible and not for the first time this season Lee was culpable at the first goal, with his half arsed attempt to close down the ball, he did or didn't do exactly the same at Dundee's first goal, which ever way you look at it.  We are definitely short of one, maybe even two strikers, but signing another two piss poor wingers is more of a concern.

 

I have said previously on various threads that Lee is not comfortable playing in a defensive midfield role. He is always more effective further up the park linking and passing with the forwards. That showed again last night like it did against Dundee in the first game when Charlie Adam strolled past him and Irving (i think it was) to score. Halliday i'm holding back on for now as he is way behind fitness levels to the others i'm lead to believe. I'll wait a while to see how he gets on as the season pans out. 

Your other point on Halkett and Popescu...Halkett puts in a shift for the team. I like commited players and his commitment isn't questionable, but as an ex-forward, he's not the greatest in the box. And that's fine, to an extent but it's an area of the field that needs sorting. There's no guarantee Souttar will be the same player again and then there's Berra the hoofer specialist. Popescu, i've said (for me anyway) is a temporary fix until someone better comes along. He appears to be an average at best defender along the lines of a few we've had these last years. You need a dominant centre-half in there and it's something we lack along with a striker. It could be the difference in winning and losing this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Shark
2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

 

I have said previously on various threads that Lee is not comfortable playing in a defensive midfield role. He is always more effective further up the park linking and passing with the forwards. That showed again last night like it did against Dundee in the first game when Charlie Adam strolled past him and Irving (i think it was) to score. Halliday i'm holding back on for now as he is way behind fitness levels to the others i'm lead to believe. I'll wait a while to see how he gets on as the season pans out. 

Your other point on Halkett and Popescu...Halkett puts in a shift for the team. I like commited players and his commitment isn't questionable, but as an ex-forward, he's not the greatest in the box. And that's fine, to an extent but it's an area of the field that needs sorting. There's no guarantee Souttar will be the same player again and then there's Berra the hoofer specialist. Popescu, i've said (for me anyway) is a temporary fix until someone better comes along. He appears to be an average at best defender along the lines of a few we've had these last years. You need a dominant centre-half in there and it's something we lack along with a striker. It could be the difference in winning and losing this season.

I agree in general about Popescu. He doesn't look comfortable playing left centre back, but that leads to a bigger question of why we have a predominantly right footed player playing there ? I also agree about Lee. I personally think Walker is our best bet at playing the No10 role out of what is currently available. Then Naismith and then about ten years behind them Lee.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
jambonian
13 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

I agree in general about Popescu. He doesn't look comfortable playing left centre back, but that leads to a bigger question of why we have a predominantly right footed player playing there ? I also agree about Lee. I personally think Walker is our best bet at playing the No10 role out of what is currently available. Then Naismith and then about ten years behind them Lee.  

 

Best defender i've seen at Hearts in recent years was Jimmy Dunne. Great in the air, decent with the ball at his feet, goal threat and would be a perfect replacement for Berra.

The right-foot, left-foot thing has also been an issue with other players for a while as well. Levein even played Brandon at left-back to "fit him in" even though Brandon looked uncomfortable with it. Stendel himself did a similar thing against Falkirk in the Cup by playing Dikamona on the left-side to accommodate Langer. I  always believe a player should play to his strengths, your left-footed, play there and vice-versa. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamie Walker Tash
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Really is a strange one. We turn strikers shite. 

From the top of my head, Sutton, Sammon, Boyce all had reasonably decent records in Scotland. They come to Hearts and end up being dog shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I'd play Wighton through the middle next game. Boyce needs dropped. 


If we continue to get the ball to Boyce in terrible positions, we'd do better with Wighton as he's far more mobile and capable of skinning defenders to get into the box.

Boyce is being ruined by lack of service as much as anything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gizmo said:


If we continue to get the ball to Boyce in terrible positions, we'd do better with Wighton as he's far more mobile and capable of skinning defenders to get into the box.

Boyce is being ruined by lack of service as much as anything else. 


I like Boyce but he’s had chances to score. I’m not having it’s someone else’s fault. Confidence looks gone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gizmo said:


If we continue to get the ball to Boyce in terrible positions, we'd do better with Wighton as he's far more mobile and capable of skinning defenders to get into the box.

Boyce is being ruined by lack of service as much as anything else. 

Agree, there is that but when he has had clear cut chances, Boyce has missed them. Shocking stuff from a professional striker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Agree, there is that but when he has had clear cut chances, Boyce has missed them. Shocking stuff from a professional striker. 


Yeah, can't defend him on the chances - especially that point-blank header. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Wighton hadn't had such an appallingly slow start at Hearts this situation would be clearer. We have one young in form striker and two older out of form strikers. Wighton should play through the middle with either of Boyce or Naismith but at the moment his name should be on the team sheet first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tokyo Drifter

MEMO TO ROBBIE:

 

Wighton needs to start in the middle. Drop Boyce to the bench and put Naismith up front too. The deeper Naismith plays, the worse we are.

 

Halliday OR Lee in midfield, please, but not both (so preferably Halliday).

 

Things will improve if/when Ginnelly and Haring are both fit and able to play. Won't they?

 

Give some of the young lads a chance. We need pace and aggression. Irving, please.

 

Oh, and bring in a striker in the next window.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
5 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Maybe he's just a bit sleepy having to watch the slow turgid shite that takes place before the ball ever gets anywhere our forwards. I know I am. Side to side & hoof... 😴

 

Another really positive post from you. 😴😴😴

Link to post
Share on other sites
gashauskis9
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'd play Wighton through the middle next game. Boyce needs dropped. 

I agree. I’d rather have another midfielder in there facing play than two strikers dropping deep and constantly flicking it on to their centre halves with their backs to goal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jodami said:

If Wighton hadn't had such an appallingly slow start at Hearts this situation would be clearer. We have one young in form striker and two older out of form strikers. Wighton should play through the middle with either of Boyce or Naismith but at the moment his name should be on the team sheet first. 

CORRECT

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:


Sorry He is part of the problem, he didn’t want 9.. it’s clear why .. he wasn’t to play 10 but fact is he isn’t a very good 10.. he doesn’t have any pace and doesn’t drive forward.  
 

Naismith also wants to play 10 and he isn’t a 10 either. He is trying to be far too intricate.. he doesn’t have any pace and and can’t drive into space either

 

Midfield need movement in front of them.. if everyone is occupiying the same space, and none of them are making runs midfield will always look shite.  

Totally agree about Naisy. He would be far better supporting Boyce higher up the park, as would Wighton who despite his efforts is lost out wide. 

 

And also agree that our mid field is failing to support the front runners whoever the may me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paul Shark said:

To be fair to Halkett and Popescu we lost the game in midfield last night. Haliday and Lee were terrible and not for the first time this season Lee was culpable at the first goal, with his half arsed attempt to close down the ball, he did or didn't do exactly the same at Dundee's first goal, which ever way you look at it.  We are definitely short of one, maybe even two strikers, but signing another two piss poor wingers is more of a concern.

Totally agree about the first goal. A carbon copy of Dundee's. I'm shouting "tackle, close him down" but no, it was like rabbits in headlights with the inevitable conclusion.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

MEMO TO ROBBIE:

 

Wighton needs to start in the middle. Drop Boyce to the bench and put Naismith up front too. The deeper Naismith plays, the worse we are.

 

Halliday OR Lee in midfield, please, but not both (so preferably Halliday).

 

Things will improve if/when Ginnelly and Haring are both fit and able to play. Won't they?

 

Give some of the young lads a chance. We need pace and aggression. Irving, please.

 

Oh, and bring in a striker in the next window.

 

Thanks.

Listen to him Robbie, but tell Irving to get a grip and not be so big headed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruickshank for Scotland
6 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

From the top of my head, Sutton, Sammon, Boyce all had reasonably decent records in Scotland. They come to Hearts and end up being dog shit.


My thoughts exactly!

The numerous sitters missed by Boyce since he came to Hearts is frankly shocking - not what we are paying big money for!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruickshank for Scotland
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

Another really positive post from you. 😴😴😴


Tough to be positive about that performance last night! 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
complete control
6 hours ago, Dazo said:


I like Boyce but he’s had chances to score. I’m not having it’s someone else’s fault. Confidence looks gone. 

Confidence gone ? He scored 2 nights previous for his country  !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not totally blame him for Friday...the manager should not have started him given his international call up and playing less than 48 hours beforehand

 

Robbie has to take some of the blame for that

 

I've hoped for more but there have been signs he could do a job but is it due to the fact that the players around him are not if a decent enough quality re service/movement to give him the space he requires ?

 

Certainly he cannot be marked as a success so far but not yet enough to tar him as a failure

 

Pull the finger out time for him but he's not alone in that

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
complete control
10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I would not totally blame him for Friday...the manager should not have started him given his international call up and playing less than 48 hours beforehand

 

Robbie has to take some of the blame for that

 

I've hoped for more but there have been signs he could do a job but is it due to the fact that the players around him are not if a decent enough quality re service/movement to give him the space he requires ?

 

Certainly he cannot be marked as a success so far but not yet enough to tar him as a failure

 

Pull the finger out time for him but he's not alone in that

 

 

Hope so . He should be banging them in this league.  🤙

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boyce typifies Hearts at the moment, a lack of fight, effort and application. Too many of them think they can just stroll it. All of them need to up their game, or the fans anger in relation to the last several months will be projected toward the team.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
14 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

MEMO TO ROBBIE:

 

Wighton needs to start in the middle. Drop Boyce to the bench and put Naismith up front too. The deeper Naismith plays, the worse we are.

 

Halliday OR Lee in midfield, please, but not both (so preferably Halliday).

 

Things will improve if/when Ginnelly and Haring are both fit and able to play. Won't they?

 

Give some of the young lads a chance. We need pace and aggression. Irving, please.

 

Oh, and bring in a striker in the next window.

 

Thanks.

Spot on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Boyce has been good enough, but how many chances did he have in Friday night?

 

I can only remember one, and regardless of how easy a chance is, you can't give your striker one chance let game and expect him to score it every time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think too much is made of formations because for me it’s what you do within those formations that matters but it’s clear as day we have to get players in and around Boyce when the ball goes into his feet.  He isn’t the sort of player that will look after the ball for long, it’s not his game but right now when we play away from home he is isolated 

Edited by Muirhead
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Muirhead said:

I think too much is made of formations because for me it’s what you do within those formations that matters but it’s clear as day we have to get players in and around Boyce when the ball goes into his feet.  He isn’t the sort of player that will look after the ball for long, it’s not his game but right now when we play away from home he is isolated 

The way the team is set up is vital to how the play. Crawford know exactly how Neilson would set up and countered it perfectly. Having won the tactical battle his players showed more application and desire, hence they won. 

 

Neilson was shown to be a one trick pony. Despite having significantly better players at his disposal he was schooled by Crawford who knew exactly how to set his team up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The way the team is set up is vital to how the play. Crawford know exactly how Neilson would set up and countered it perfectly. Having won the tactical battle his players showed more application and desire, hence they won. 

 

Neilson was shown to be a one trick pony. Despite having significantly better players at his disposal he was schooled by Crawford who knew exactly how to set his team up. 

I get that.  My point is we don’t have to turn it into the usual 4-4-2 versus 1 upfront argument as you can get players to do a lot within a formation.  Unfortunately we didn’t do it and as you say Crawford won the tactical battle hands down as evidenced by our passing being forced back and then into our full backs to launch it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boyce isn’t the only one. Far too many of our players and on KB have swallowed the myth that we will stroll the Championship. There was no intensity on Friday. Some didn’t even break sweat. It’s simply not good enough to stroll the ball round the pitch . We should be playing every game as if we are playing Hubz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
33 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The way the team is set up is vital to how the play. Crawford know exactly how Neilson would set up and countered it perfectly. Having won the tactical battle his players showed more application and desire, hence they won. 

 

Neilson was shown to be a one trick pony. Despite having significantly better players at his disposal he was schooled by Crawford who knew exactly how to set his team up. 

 

Hiya Stevie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Boyce should 100% play on Tuesday, it's a game where we can play 2 up front and a game we'll be looking to score a few and should create a fair amount. 

 

Perfect game for Boyce to get some confidence , well it should be. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

Hiya Stevie. 

 

 

Crawford, tactical genius. 

**** me.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
31 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

Crawford, tactical genius. 

**** me.... 

 

It's embarrassing. Grown men getting all 'Little House on the Prairie' because Hearts lost a match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Clerry Jambo
21 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Maybe he's just a bit sleepy having to watch the slow turgid shite that takes place before the ball ever gets anywhere our forwards. I know I am. Side to side & hoof... 😴

Correct Nelly, Boyce does lots of good work outside the box to try and create for others. I realise he’s here to score goals and he should have scored the other night but the service is woeful

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Correct Nelly, Boyce does lots of good work outside the box to try and create for others. I realise he’s here to score goals and he should have scored the other night but the service is woeful


Does he though? Gave the ball away countless times on Friday. Trying flicks and first time passes that were never on in a million years. There’s no service because he drops deep constantly. We need someone who’ll go in behind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
8 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

It's embarrassing. Grown men getting all 'Little House on the Prairie' because Hearts lost a match. 

 

 

I've now realised jkb is far more entertaining tho after a defeat 

 

I should avoid it for a few days after a defeat but it's like a car crash, you have to look. 

Morbid curiosity.

 

There's a thread with grown men wanting our manager gone cos we got beat. 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

I've now realised jkb is far more entertaining tho after a defeat 

 

I should avoid it for a few days after a defeat but it's like a car crash, you have to look. 

Morbid curiosity.

 

There's a thread with grown men wanting our manager gone cos we got beat. 😂😂😂

 

Most of the slavers on that thread were just waiting for their moment. Their kiddy on anger was as predictable as it is fake. Weirdos. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

I've now realised jkb is far more entertaining tho after a defeat 

 

I should avoid it for a few days after a defeat but it's like a car crash, you have to look. 

Morbid curiosity.

 

There's a thread with grown men wanting our manager gone cos we got beat. 😂😂😂

100%,what should not be forgotten is that as bad as we were Dunfermline were excellent I thought.Think there is players in this league who we should be looking at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

Most of the slavers on that thread were just waiting for their moment. Their kiddy on anger was as predictable as it is fake. Weirdos. 

 

 

Not holding back 😂😂

 

I agree 100% tho. 

Same folk that want Robbie gone first time are chapping at the bit now, first time round they they celebrated cathro - then wanted him gone, didn't want CL, but celebrated cathro going. Then  they wanted CL gone early doors, when he did go they celebrated Stendel and said things couldn't get worse - they did. 

Now Robbies here we're back to the beginning. 

 

Rinse and repeat but change cathro's, CL's and stendel's names with our next managers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
30 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

100%,what should not be forgotten is that as bad as we were Dunfermline were excellent I thought.Think there is players in this league who we should be looking at.

 

Dunfermline imo were not excellent but carried out thier plan well. 

 

We also never played well so their game plan worked, the difference in Crawford being a tactical genius or us winning the game was the width of the bar. 

 

They pressed well, went direct, got the second balls and got the breaks from a set piece and corner. 

 

We passed the ball around a lot, weren't direct enough, missed very good opportunities at 0-0  and 0-2, and never dealt with the second balls and high press especially for a 15 minute spell.  

 

Basically a blue print for any weaker team playing a stronger team-

Stay compact, press, go direct, take advantage of set pieces and don't concede first. 

 

We only the other hand, weren't direct enough, slow on the pick up of second balls, missed our chances so never scored first - the blue print for a better team to get beat. 

 

In the sc final, we'll be the dunfermline and celtic - us. 

We'll want to do what they done to us while hoping celtic are a bit off it and don't score first. 

 

 

Outwith that game and overall this season my concerns are our wide players and  Boyce missing chances. I also have questions of our defence but if we score more that won't be a problem 

 

Even If we'd won Fridays game I would still be a little concerned about them.

 

I agree there will be players that are decent, the biggest issue outwith the jump in quality is the players mindset, many players struggle with the expection of playing in front of 18k and imo is why most players don't make it to a higher level, as fans we can't really get a handle on a players character or mental resilience. 

 

We see an opposition player Maybe 2 or 3 times and think he's gid, why don't we go get him with no thought of character, style of play, consistency etc. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Smith's right boot
Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
35 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

Most of the slavers on that thread were just waiting for their moment. Their kiddy on anger was as predictable as it is fake. Weirdos. 

 

 

You also get the feeling that certain folk on this board will be gone forever if a Robbies Hearts team wins the cup. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

Crawford, tactical genius. 

**** me.... 

You really do slaver some shite. If you can point me to where I said he was a tactical genius you’ll be doing well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saughton Jambo

Dunfermline won for the one simple reason...they were the hungrier team and were more up for the fight than we were. The same reason we won the semi final. If we can press on the front foot instead of pedalling on the back foot then we’ll be fine. Boyce should’ve been rested imo. We need a few tweaks but we’ll be fine.
 

As for the cup final then if we sit back to contain them and try and play on the defensive, then we’ll be slaughtered. We need to attack them at every opportunity and take the game to them whilst we fight for every single loose ball. Hopefully that’s the wake up/reality call we’ve needed. We have 5 games to get things right and put a massive two fingers up to all in the Scottish game. 

Edited by Saughton Jambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

You also get the feeling that certain folk on this board will be gone forever if a Robbies Hearts team wins the cup. 

 

 

 

You'd think so but if we lost the next league match they'd be back with their shameless drivel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...