Euro 2020(21) squad (I know it’s early)

gashauskis9

47 minutes ago, jambo east anglia said:

Grant Hanley anyone?  Playing well for Norwich this season and better than McKenna in my opinion.

He came into the squad so he is being considered. Left due to injury.

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The point re right back is we have no other options - I assume Bardsley retired from international football? 

Re upfront Che Adams - if he was committed - would be a great option. 

The squad has to evolve and improve. 

Liam Palmers usually back up. Scott McTominay can play there and I'm sure there be lads coming through.

Che Adams should have declared himself for Scotland if he wanted to play for us. He turned us down so he shouldn't be asked again. 

Samuel Camazzola

In terms of players who could step into the squad, Ferguson and McCrorie at Aberdeen. If Gilmour can get the first team game time, he'll be considered. 

Palmer will be in with a shout and Hickey will be monitored this season. 

Has Tom Cairney indicated he doesn't want to play International football as I find it surprising he is overlooked?

LarrysRightFoot
41 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Liam Palmers usually back up. Scott McTominay can play there and I'm sure there be lads coming through.

Che Adams should have declared himself for Scotland if he wanted to play for us. He turned us down so he shouldn't be asked again. 

I don’t think Che Adams said no (as in never), just he wasn’t ready to commit when asked previously. 

I get your concerns but I just think we can’t cut our nose off to spite our face. 

Also, never in a million years could McTominay play at right back with the way we play.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

LarrysRightFoot
36 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

In terms of players who could step into the squad, Ferguson and McCrorie at Aberdeen. If Gilmour can get the first team game time, he'll be considered. 

Palmer will be in with a shout and Hickey will be monitored this season. 

Has Tom Cairney indicated he doesn't want to play International football as I find it surprising he is overlooked?

McCrorie’s versatility could get him in.

Cairney and McDonal at Fulham are good players but we have a lot of options in midfield. Same goes for Ferguson. 

Too soon for Hickey. 

Although potentially Hickey, Gilmore and Ferguson could be taken with the squad, get the experience etc.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t think Che Adams said no (as in never), just he wasn’t ready to commit when asked previously. 

I get your concerns but I just think we can’t cut our nose off to spite our face. 

Also, never in a million years could McTominay play at right back with the way we play.

Hickey should be considered for RB cover. He’s two footed. If you can play one footed tierney there as has happened you ca n certainly use Hickey as a high quality option. Although it’s bizarre how Hickey has barely played at any level for scotland yet.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

Cairney and McDonal at Fulham are good players but we have a lot of options in midfield. Same goes for Ferguson. 

Too soon for Hickey. 

Although potentially Hickey, Gilmore and Ferguson could be taken with the squad, get the experience etc.

Hickey is a regular in Serie A. How can it be too soon to consider him in Nations league games and as back up against the likes of the czech republic and croatia at the euroS?

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Too soon for Hickey. 

After last month's late changes when the random call-ups were made, it highlighted Cairney's absence even more so. He was possibly the standout player in the Championship last season and although his Fulham side are struggling, he's still someone who'd do a turn. 

I think Bardsley's still a solid fullback and extremely fit despite his age. Could be an option for the problem right side. 

It's inevitable that someone is going to miss out through injury so won't be surprised to see one of the up and coming to get the nod. 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

After last month's late changes when the random call-ups were made, it highlighted Cairney's absence even more so. He was possibly the standout player in the Championship last season and although his Fulham side are struggling, he's still someone who'd do a turn. 

I think Bardsley's still a solid fullback and extremely fit despite his age. Could be an option for the problem right side. 

It's inevitable that someone is going to miss out through injury so won't be surprised to see one of the up and coming to get the nod. 

The 'core' 19 or 20 are there.

Unless an experienced pro outside of the key squad is having an outstanding season, I'd prefer a McCrorie, Ferguson, Hickey to be given the experience if a late injury call up required.

(Apart from Naisy of course..who can go)

Marshall

McLaughlin 

Gordon 

O’Donnell

Robertson

Tierney 

Hickey

Cooper 

Gallagher 

Mckenna 

McCrorie 

Mctominay 

Jack

McGregor 

Mclean

McGinn

Armstrong 

Christie 

Forrest 

Fraser

Dykes

Paterson 

Naismith 

Hickey as can cover left and right. McCrorie doing well at Aberdeen and cover 3 positions. Naismith because of his experience and quality. Mcburnie is useless and Griffiths unreliable 

Edited by R1874

LarrysRightFoot
25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hickey is a regular in Serie A. How can it be too soon to consider him in Nations league games and as back up against the likes of the czech republic and croatia at the euroS?

Because he has played less than 50 career games. We also have Robertson, Tierney and probably Douglas and Taylor infront him at the minute.

World Cup call ups, Hearts and Hibs have 6 each (Scotland only)

Euro Nations, a little bit of dubiety.

Smith, McLaren Euro 92 and whether McPherson, Hearts or Rangers.  Wiki says Hearts but I think he was Rangers signed.

Euro 96, Leighton and Jackson.

Gordon will go as long as no injury.  Naismith long shot. It is going to take some call offs for a Hibs player to get in.

Porteous is most likely if CH call offs, but the boy is rank awful.

Edited by DETTY29

LarrysRightFoot
22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It’s a fair point re Cairney and McDonald not being mentioned when injuries cropped up - though they weren’t really in midfield. 

I’m with you on Bardsley - I asked earlier if he had retired from international football. If he has - and the same goes for Brown and Richie - and they want to change their minds then fine but they can’t just walk into the team, they need to work for it. The same stands for likes of Adams and Fredericks if they want to commit to Scotland.  

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

He turned his nose up when he was asked, that should be the end of the matter. It's an honour to be asked to play and it should be a one time offer. 

Angus Gunn and Joe Bryan have also turned us down. 

I don't think Ryan Fredericks has been asked yet so he may be one.

There'll be others who will be delighted for the opportunity. 

I don't think Todd Kane has been asked either, nor has Karlan Grant or Luis Binks. 

Edited by Cruyff

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
11 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

O'Donnell, McTominay, Gallagher, McKenna, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, McLean

Christie, Fraser, Forrest

Dykes, McBurnie, Griffiths

21 absolute certainties barring injury imo

Space for one more. 

This plus Palmer and I would say that's the first 22 spaces taken. My guess would be either John Fleck or Greg Taylor for the last space.

We should get taviner and whatever other English players we can. The only youngster from Scotland that should be near the team are Ferguson, Gilmore and Hickey. If we get a decent core of youngsters it will build for the future, The way things are now its gonna be like craig brown's era were the next guy was left a aging squad and suffered as a result.

10 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

World Cup call ups, Hearts and Hibs have 6 each (Scotland only)

Euro Nations, a little bit of dubiety.

Smith, McLaren Euro 92 and whether McPherson, Hearts or Rangers.  Wiki says Hearts but I think he was Rangers signed.

Euro 96, Leighton and Jackson.

Gordon will go as long as no injury.  Naismith long shot. It is going to take some call offs for a Hibs player to get in.

Porteous is most likely if CH call offs, but the boy is rank awful.

Levein and Robbo would have gone in 92 if it wasn’t for injuries. The wee man had been in great form that season.  

Anyway, back to Euro 2020.  Only Hibs player that will be anywhere near that squad will be Nisbet or Paul McGinn imo. Hanlon and Porteous are behind 6/7 other centre halves at the moment.  

It's guaranteed that one or two 'first choices' get injured and miss the Euros. Every Scottish player in with a shout has an incredible incentive to up their game and make their case.

Naismith bangs in 25 this season and who knows....

Totally understand the idea that you should jump at the chance to play for Scotland and that the offer should only be made once. However, let’s have a wee reality check here. Scotland have been mediocre for years - not terrible exactly, but rarely looking likely to qualify for anything. We’ve not exactly been an attractive choice for players who didn’t grow up in Scotland and have other options. Qualifying for Euro 2021 has upped our reputation and put us back in the headlines. It’s worth swallowing our pride a wee bit and having a second shot at players who were unsure previously.

We have a core squad of very committed players. But that doesn’t mean it couldn’t do with some improvement in key areas.

21 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

O'Donnell, McTominay, Gallagher, McKenna, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, McLean

Christie, Fraser, Forrest

Dykes, McBurnie, Griffiths

21 absolute certainties barring injury imo

Space for one more. 

I suspect this is correct. McBurnie wouldn't be a cert for me, but I think he will get the nod. Forrest needs to prove his fitness, but, again, I think he will.

For the remaining two places, it's probably one from Palmer / Taylor / Considine, and one from Paterson / Shankland, with Nisbet and Hornby as outside chances.

If Billy Gilmour can get some game time for Chelsea, he could be a wildcard but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Pingu

2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

It's guaranteed that one or two 'first choices' get injured and miss the Euros. Every Scottish player in with a shout has an incredible incentive to up their game and make their case.

Wighton bangs in 55 this season and who knows....

FTFY

4 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Levein and Robbo would have gone in 92 if it wasn’t for injuries. The wee man had been in great form that season.  

Anyway, back to Euro 2020.  Only Hibs player that will be anywhere near that squad will be Nisbet or Paul McGinn imo. Hanlon and Porteous are behind 6/7 other centre halves at the moment.  

I remember Robbo went on the North American tour just before the tournament started and it was decided over there he wasn't fit enough but can't recall the Levein position.

Here is the Scotland Euro92 video.  Before first game, c34 minutes in, Roxburgh shows the team a video noting all the things Scots invented that helped put man on the moon.

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I remember Robbo went on the North American tour just before the tournament started and it was decided over there he wasn't fit enough but can't recall the Levein position.

Here is the Scotland Euro92 video.  Before first game, c34 minutes in, Roxburgh shows the team a video noting all the things Scots invented that helped put man on the moon.

Edit - Levein played in 43 or our 53 games that season, but certainly at back end of season and including Airdrie semis, last game v. Falkirk and a Ross County testimonial on 4th May.

His last cap before the Euros was Nov 91 when we beat San Marino to qualify.

I think he had possibly fallen out of favour.  Or an earlier injury had seen e.g Whyte or McLaren come in and stay.

Happy to be corrected.

Edited by DETTY29