Euro 2020(21) squad (I know it’s early)

gashauskis9

What do you reckon folks? 

I’m a firm believer that where possible Clarke should reward the players who helped get us there, and avoid the inevitable flurry of ex internationals coming out of retirement for the big pay day. 

Here’s my thinking for a 22 man squad, assuming this 3-4-3 formation is preferred (cue big surprise at the end).  

Marshall 

Gordon 

McLaughlin 

O Donnell

Robertson

Tierney

Gallagher

McTominay

Considine 

Cooper

Jack

McGregor

McLean

Armstrong

Fraser

Forrest

Christie

McGinn

Paterson 

Dykes

Griffiths

Naismith!

Yes, I’m taking Naismith (fitness provided).  One thing we’ve lacked the last few games is an experienced head in the last 10/15 mins to help see out games.  His big game experience would mean more in this tournament to the squad than having a Shankland or Nisbet in there who are likely to get stage fright if the service isn’t direct to them.  If you’ve got guys like Fraser, Christie, McGinn and Forrest in your midfield, then the goals will come assuming you’ve got quality up front to hold the ball up.   I’d have Griffiths over McBurnie, largely because he offers something different to Dykes and is potent in or around the box.  If we need a target man up front other than Dykes, then we have a utility man in Paterson to perform that role (as well as playing back up for O Donnell).  

Flexibility to play McTominay in midfield as well as the right of a back three, and Considine can play anywhere on the left hand side of that defence (in a 3 or a 4).  Chose Cooper over McKenna because the latter is utter pump.  

I think that's probably spot on, there's a chance for the likes of Gilmour, Hickey and Hornby forcing their way into the squad by the summer as well

Just now, Furious Styles said:

Players like naismith, mcburnie, Paterson and considine will be the ones sweating over their places. 

I agree, although I think Paterson’s versatility works to his advantage.  Clarke has used him in most recent games as well. 

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I think that's probably spot on, there's a chance for the likes of Gilmour, Hickey and Hornby forcing their way into the squad by the summer as well

Also I reckon McKenna and McBurnie will probably be involved if fit

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

I think it’s too early for them personally (although I’d love to be proven wrong).  One of the most refreshing aspects of the current squad is that it’s full of players, in their prime, playing week in week out and a number of them at the highest level. Think the 2022 campaign is where I’d expect to see those lads make strides, along with your Shanklands and Nisbets if they continue to bang the goals in.  The future looks good for the international team, I must admit. 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Players like naismith, mcburnie, Paterson and considine will be the ones sweating over their places. 

Agree, although I think Patterson versatility will help him. 

12 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Hopefully we do have a few young guys playing or in the squad. 

9 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Also I reckon McKenna and McBurnie will probably be involved if fit

Agreed, Can't see Naismith displacing McBurnie. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I wonder if some of these players will suddenly commit themselves to Scotland - Che Adams would be a good option 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17976576.players-steve-clarke-call-upon-afield-bolster-scotland-squad/

This is what I want to avoid. The harmony and spirit in this squad is different class at the moment and I’d hate us to go down this route unless we desperately have to.  Reward those who got us there before others. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

What do you reckon folks? 

I’m a firm believer that where possible Clarke should reward the players who helped get us there, and avoid the inevitable flurry of ex internationals coming out of retirement for the big pay day. 

Here’s my thinking for a 22 man squad, assuming this 3-4-3 formation is preferred (cue big surprise at the end).  

Marshall 

Gordon 

McLaughlin 

O Donnell

Robertson

Tierney

Gallagher

McTominay

Considine 

Cooper

Jack

McGregor

McLean

Armstrong

Fraser

Forrest

Christie

McGinn

Paterson 

Dykes

Griffiths

Naismith!

Yes, I’m taking Naismith (fitness provided).  One thing we’ve lacked the last few games is an experienced head in the last 10/15 mins to help see out games.  His big game experience would mean more in this tournament to the squad than having a Shankland or Nisbet in there who are likely to get stage fright if the service isn’t direct to them.  If you’ve got guys like Fraser, Christie, McGinn and Forrest in your midfield, then the goals will come assuming you’ve got quality up front to hold the ball up.   I’d have Griffiths over McBurnie, largely because he offers something different to Dykes and is potent in or around the box.  If we need a target man up front other than Dykes, then we have a utility man in Paterson to perform that role (as well as playing back up for O Donnell).  

Flexibility to play McTominay in midfield as well as the right of a back three, and Considine can play anywhere on the left hand side of that defence (in a 3 or a 4).  Chose Cooper over McKenna because the latter is utter pump.  

All fair, but I'd like a few young ones in and about the team as well. 

I think McBurnie will be ahead of Naismith as well. 

And.. 

No Wighton? 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

All fair, but I'd like a few young ones in and about the team as well. 

I think McBurnie will be ahead of Naismith as well. 

And.. 

No Wighton? 

Sadly Wighton has already committed his international allegiance to Brazil. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, gashauskis9 said:

Sadly Wighton has already committed his international allegiance to Brazil. 

True, already read the rumblings that Neymar is unhappy about sharing the glory and having his place in the international set up questioned. 

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

True, already read the rumblings that Neymar is unhappy about sharing the glory and having his place in the international set up questioned. 

Neymar can go **** himself. After the swap deal with psg goes through we'll loan that prick out to East fife. 

kingantti1874

Naisy won’t be in it IMO. Also, I wouldn’t be studied to see Billy Gilmour in it.. he’s absolutely phenomenal talent and will get 15/20 game for Chelsea between now and the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Naisy won’t be in it IMO. Also, I wouldn’t be studied to see Billy Gilmour in it.. he’s absolutely phenomenal talent and will get 15/20 game for Chelsea between now and the end of the season. 

That’s the key for me.  I don’t want anyone in the squad, regardless of talent, in there based on potential.  They have to be playing regular in the run up otherwise the spirit in the squad will be shot to shit imo.  

I'd be saying to McBurnie if you don't take part in TEAM huddles he can go eff himself.

Surprised his club manager let him (and Fleck) away with it too.

LarrysRightFoot
17 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

This is what I want to avoid. The harmony and spirit in this squad is different class at the moment and I’d hate us to go down this route unless we desperately have to.  Reward those who got us there before others. 

I know but it’s a balancing act - Fredricks and Adams in particular would be good options.

Not exactly the same scenario but Dykes has only just committed to Scotland and look at the difference he’s made. 

But I agree, that you wouldn’t want to affect the harmony within the squad. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

O'Donnell, McTominay, Gallagher, McKenna, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, McLean

Christie, Fraser, Forrest

Dykes, McBurnie, Griffiths

21 absolute certainties barring injury imo

Space for one more. 

21 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Is it a rule that you absolutely have to take 3 keepers?

It's a rule you have to take two but you also must have one goalkeeper as a named sub. So if one gets injured, you'd be chapping. So that's why they take 3.

Edited by Cruyff

43 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Space for one more. 

It's a club set up now.

Very hard for anyone else to get in now. Just injuries will stop that being the squad.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a club set up now.

Very hard for anyone else to get in now. Just injuries will stop that being the squad.

Agree.

Gordon hadn't been in for 2 years but jumped ahead of McCrorie, albeit McCrorie only in last few months.

But that's the correct real experience and class decision.

It may provide e.g Naismith a slim chance.

Ryan Fraser won't be fit, or will go and breakdown after squad can't change, but Naismith isn't a replacement for him

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's a rule you have to take two but you also must have one goalkeeper as a named sub. So if one gets injured, you'd be chapping. So that's why they take 3.

Calculated risk, the chance of losing 2 keepers has to be so slim, there surely must have been past teams that only took 2 keepers to a tournament? Instead opted for the extra striker. Maybe not worth the risk for a top tier nation that expects to be in the semis and finals but for a smaller nation? Extra striker surely worth the risk, gives you that extra option to find a winning goal

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Space for one more. 

I wouldn’t say Forrest (need to see his form post injury), McBurnie (has he scored this season?) or Griffiths (a bit to go yet before he’s back to his best) are certainties.

We definitely need another option at right back. 

Can see Broonaldo coming out of retirement for this. Hopefully Clarke will tell him to go **** himself.

As an outside shout, Ryan Gauld has started the season well in the Portuguese top flight.

18Jambo_dave74
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Space for one more. 

Think this is spot on - think Palmer and Burke would fill the other 2 spots as it stands.

As mentioned there is very much a club feel to the Scotland squad now so will be difficult for others to get a look in. Fleck will be pushing for a place and Paterson’s versatility will certainly help his cause.

No doubt there will be one or two injuries as well so should keep everyone on their toes for the rest of the season. Probably a bit too early for the likes of Gilmour and Hickey although if they feature a lot for their clubs this season then you never know.

41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think 3 goalkeepers is a requirement now. Can't find the reference but don't think you can have an outfield player instead.

I recall north Korea trying the take an outfield player in place of a GK, at the 2010 WC but he wasn't allowed to come on as an outfield player.

Guest ToqueJambo

Hopefully a youngster or two will get a chance to stake a claim from this group - Hickey, Gilmour, Gauld, Hornby, Lewis Ferguson, McCrorie.

Naismith will be busting a gut to get in and has a great chance if he stays fit and plays well. A few people with Scottish grannies might emerge from the woodwork but I think Clarke will try to stay loyal to the group that got there.

3 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Think this is spot on - think Palmer and Burke would fill the other 2 spots as it stands.

OP said 22 man squad and we all went with it but you're right, it's a 23 man squad :lol: 

I think Paterson will probably be in ahead of Burke as Clarke seems to bring him on in every game. Palmer is probably a sensible shout as going into a tournament with one right back would be a danger

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Can see Broonaldo coming out of retirement for this. Hopefully Clarke will tell him to go **** himself.

As an outside shout, Ryan Gauld has started the season well in the Portuguese top flight.

It's tremendous we qualified after he gave up internationals. It's not coincidental. Clarke should tell him to do one. 

18Jambo_dave74
18 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

OP said 22 man squad and we all went with it but you're right, it's a 23 man squad :lol: 

I think Paterson will probably be in ahead of Burke as Clarke seems to bring him on in every game. Palmer is probably a sensible shout as going into a tournament with one right back would be a danger

I see Pullis has been appointed at Sheff Wed- think that might help Paterson’s chances as can see him being used in a similar way as he was by Warnock at Cardiff. I think Burke playing in a higher division and having terrific pace gives him the edge but it’s definitely up for grabs. The comparison between Dykes and McBurnie shows that it doesn’t necessarily matter on what division you’re playing in.

From what I’ve seen I think Palmer is a better player than O’Donnell and I’d say we’re quite weak in this position - hence McGinn at Hibs getting a call up last time. I can’t see it but it does make me wonder about Hickey’s chances as he is very two footed and could definitely play RB/RWB. Might be an outside shout if either of Palmer/ O’Donnell were to miss out. 

Marshall

Gordon

McLaughlin

O'Donnell

Palmer

McTominay

Gallagher

McKenna

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Jack

McGregor

McGinn

Gilmour

Armstrong 

Christie

Fraser

Paterson

Dykes

McBurnie

Griffiths

Extra player could be anyone from Fleck, Shankland, Hornby, Hickey etc.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a club set up now.

Correct 

I’d like to think Naismith could make the squad, if he can stay fit, as an experienced head and a mentor as much as anything, but the numbers may be against him.

I think if there are any surprises to come, it will be because someone plays out of their skin. Gilmour is a possibility on that front, but I can’t see Clarke breaking faith with those who got us here. The current group are playing for the jersey, which is great to see. There’s a core of 18-20 who are going no matter what, and that’s just fine by me.

A few of the eligible-but-not-keen players might be keen to commit to Scotland now that we’ve made it to the finals, but if they do then they should have to play their way in. I’d make an exception for Angus Gunn, if he changes his mind, because our first choice  goalies are getting long in the tooth and we could do with him. However, despite his dad being a Scotland player, he seems determined to be English. Similar situation to Cameron Redpath in the rugby.

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a club set up now.

Agree, as it should be.

2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I wouldn’t say Forrest (need to see his form post injury), McBurnie (has he scored this season?) or Griffiths (a bit to go yet before he’s back to his best) are certainties.

We definitely need another option at right back. 

No mate, I think if they are fit and on their best behaviour, they are certainties. There is no really any other options.

4 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I'd be saying to McBurnie if you don't take part in TEAM huddles he can go eff himself.

Surprised his club manager let him (and Fleck) away with it too.

Cant you not just say he won't be involved as he is mince

LarrysRightFoot
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Agree, as it should be.

No mate, I think if they are fit and on their best behaviour, they are certainties. There is no really any other options.

There could be options by next summer - Dykes came almost out of nowhere. 

As for right back I’m sure there was talk of Tavernier (I’m guessing this is based on the 5 year rule if it’s still relevant) and potentially Fredericks at West Ham and Kane at QPR based on the article I posted earlier. I am not saying I do or don’t want them - just they are potentially options.

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Gordon only Hearts player, Lewis Ferguson has a chance, Ryan Fraser a given.

I think Naismith has an outside chance. Ferguson is doing well but our midfield is pretty decent. 

19 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Cant you not just say he won't be involved as he is mince

He's been a big disappointment generally, but let's remember he did score a penalty in both shootouts, and they were both great penalties too.

Having said that, his place in the squad is currently guaranteed, as we have so few decent options up front. However, I'd say he is one of the most vulnerable if another option were to become available between now and the summer.

1 minute ago, Doc Rob said:

He's been a big disappointment generally, but let's remember he did score a penalty in both shootouts, and they were both great penalties too.

Having said that, his place in the squad is currently guaranteed, as we have so few decent options up front. However, I'd say he is one of the most vulnerable if another option were to become available between now and the summer.

I think McBurnie is rated. 

Che Adams would be worth adding if he was keen to commit. As we saw on Thursday, when Dykes needs a rest, we're light up top. Griffiths is a good option but McBurnie/Paterson don't fill me with confidence up top.

Gilmour, Ferguson and Hornby could be in contention if they have good seasons.

Edited by TommyC

42 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Che Adams would be worth adding if he was keen to commit. As we saw on Thursday, when Dykes needs a rest, we're light up top. Griffiths is a good option but McBurnie/Paterson don't fill me with confidence up top.

Gilmour, Ferguson and Hornby could be in contention if they have good seasons.

I think Hornby isn't playing much.

Or so it was mentioned on the U21 commentary.   

2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

There could be options by next summer - Dykes came almost out of nowhere. 

As for right back I’m sure there was talk of Tavernier (I’m guessing this is based on the 5 year rule if it’s still relevant) and potentially Fredericks at West Ham and Kane at QPR based on the article I posted earlier. I am not saying I do or don’t want them - just they are potentially options.

Nah, we don't want guys that haven't declared themselves for us already. 

jambo east anglia

Grant Hanley anyone?  Playing well for Norwich this season and better than McKenna in my opinion.

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, we don't want guys that haven't declared themselves for us already. 

I know what you mean but at the same time Dykes only just committed to us (I know it’s slightly different). Also if they are better than what we have it’s a tough call to say no.

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I know what you mean but at the same time Dykes only just committed to us (I know it’s slightly different). Also if they are better than what we have it’s a tough call to say no.

Doesn't really matter if they are better. It's pretty easy. I'd take O'Donnell over Fredericks everyday of the week. I'm sure Clarke would too.

LarrysRightFoot
19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Doesn't really matter if they are better. It's pretty easy. I'd take O'Donnell over Fredericks everyday of the week. I'm sure Clarke would too.

The point re right back is we have no other options - I assume Bardsley retired from international football? 

Re upfront Che Adams - if he was committed - would be a great option. 

The squad has to evolve and improve.