Where did you watch Scotland Brazil ‘98?

GlasgoJambo

Footballfirst

I used to work in IT for the Bank of Scotland and had loads of opportunities to get hospitality at games both before and after the Bank sponsored the SPL, or at other sporting events. Mostly, the availability would filter down to the lower management or supervisory staff, both when the Bank was hosting hospitality themselves or being invited by another company.

In 1998, IBM invited ten BoS staff over to Paris for the Brazil game. Guess what? The invitations were all taken up by our senior management.

I ended up watching the game at home.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Greedy Jambo

• TyphoonJambo

• hmfcbilly

3 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Has anyone else mentioned the similarity?

Never...I actually used to get Teddy Sheringham comparisons

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I used to work in IT for the Bank of Scotland and had loads of opportunities to get hospitality at games both before and after the Bank sponsored the SPL, or at other sporting events. Mostly, the availability would filter down to the lower management or supervisory staff, both when the Bank was hosting hospitality themselves or being invited by another company.

In 1998, IBM invited ten BoS staff over to Paris for the Brazil game. Guess what? The invitations were all taken up by our senior management.

I ended up watching the game at home.

Funny that. 😄

Was it Ardmillan Hearts club beside the Royal Scots Club in Haymarket ?  £1 a pint.  Carnage. I spent exactly a tenner and couldn’t suck my thumb on the way home. 

aberhill jambo
Just now, aberhill jambo said:

Our company put a big tv in canteen got to work for a couple of hours to watch

Had to make up hours next day

Stop work

Haymarket bar. Can still remember john Collins smile when he knocked the pen in. Took finals for granted up til then.  Who would have thought that would be our last finals for 22 years?! 

I watched it in the Mitre on the High Street. Had a half day with one of the guys I worked with at Standard Life. We went back to his flat, got changed into kilts and Scotland tops and were the first folk in for opening at lunchtime. 

Got a big table at the right of the door as they’d set up a big telly over the bar and then watched all the build up waiting for all our pals to turn up. By the time the game started I was standing on the big window sills to get the best view. I remember looking out on to the High Street when the game kicked off and there was no one around. No cars or anything and it just felt surreal. There was a group of Japanese tourists on a tour walking past when Collins scored. They stopped to take photos of the carnage in the pub, although they moved on pretty quick when all the guys starting proving true Scotsman wear nothing under their kilts. 

Watched all the games in the Mitre for that World Cup. Had just started going out with my girlfriend. She’s now my wife of 17 years and we’ve got two teenage kids. 

13 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Had a great time in Paris. Walked in to the Scotsman bar just after Stan Colemore had thumped Ulrika Jonsson! 😳

Had a beer with Justin from Del Amitri before the game - he never bought me one back! 🙄

The Auld Alliance pub no?

I think Hearts had me all drunk oot the previous month. Watched all three games at house parties/bbqs. Bit of a regret because I could have been there, but having got 2 tickets for Euro 96 (Holland and England) at least I’ve seen them in a finals. Scrounging one this time would be nice but it’s time for a new generation to enjoy. 

20 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

I never met mcCann but maybe he was just an awkward wee guy attempting a bit humour? Could be he was just a pompous w*nker of course! I know Farmer did (and likely still does) a lot for charity so the fact he leant his helicopter and pilot for a charity event in which a wee boy tragically died, I could quite believe he would take that badly. He was/is a very religious man too and donates handsomely to the Catholic Church.  Saved the vermin too but some of them have short memories! In another tenuous link...my 1st job (which I left to join kwik fit funnily enough) was as an office junior for a law firm in the centre of Edinburgh. One of the secretaries was the ex wife of one of the proclaimers. She was an absolute hoot. She used to refer to her ex as that big specky bast*rd. He wasn't particularly tall to the average person but she had dwarfism (not sure if thats still a PC term these days?!) Hence her description of him 🤣🤣 she never had a good word to say about him as a partner or father!

I worked for the Proclaimers back when he was still married and hadn’t turned into the serial cheat he became. However in relation to height both of them are 6ft+, big lads. Which only made the height difference even stranger. 

My memories of the Auld Alliance pub in Paris.....A real dump!.....Toilet should have been condemned, filthy old wooden floor at the bar.....It had McEwan's export on tap served in plastic opaque pint mugs. Every pint poured had a massive head on it, not a lot of beer! ....Tartan army didn't cover itself in glory the day me and my mates were there.
Some of the bampots would lift there kilts to every Parisian that went past and flash the tackle. Needless to say it wasn't appreciated.  

Edited by Hashimoto

On 14/11/2020 at 04:48, luckyBatistuta said:

Remembered what it was I had, perhaps you had a similar device, it was an Archos...

C7C8ACE7-C676-4007-B85D-F21D1CED0BD0.jpeg

It was something like this i had, but grey and it had an analogue aerial. 

That's probably what i was watching it on. 

6f3bfc23-c91e-48f8-be87-df3185b058d6.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I worked for the Proclaimers back when he was still married and hadn’t turned into the serial cheat he became. However in relation to height both of them are 6ft+, big lads. Which only made the height difference even stranger. 

:hobo::laugh:

9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It was something like this i had, but grey and it had an analogue aerial. 

That's probably what i was watching it on. 

6f3bfc23-c91e-48f8-be87-df3185b058d6.jpg

I had something similar to this in the late 90s. 

BD878055-A59E-4DB4-A055-3D28D2153FFF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I had something similar to this in the late 90s. 

BD878055-A59E-4DB4-A055-3D28D2153FFF.jpeg

Ha, not seen one of them in a while. 

You'll need to start a retro tech thread, e.g i loved my sony walkman with all my heart. 

In the dining hall of Ferranti (GEC Marconi as it was by that time, shortly before becoming BAE).

Hundreds of folk in the hall; whole families, a real carnival atmosphere.

Huge projector screen at one end of the room.

Stood on a table to get a good view of the penalty.

Ended up on the floor covered in bevvy.

Zero regrets.

Every other match of that tournament was viewed in Bannerman's bar on Niddry St. One of their cavern rooms had leather sofas and a projector screen and a special offer which was 6 bottles of budweiser in an ice bucket for a tenner.
Every day was: go to pub, bag a sofa. Drink bud, watch fitba. Nip up to the clamshell for food. Back to pub. More buds. More fitba. Repeat until no more fitba was on that day.
Happy days.

Edited by Cade

On 13/11/2020 at 16:22, Psychedelicropcircle said:

In the “auld hoose” Musselburgh. Collins scored the penalty the drink went flying...the projector screen went up & 50 of us watched the rest of the game on a portable😂

I was there as well! I had forgotten about the screen going up 😅

I was in a fan park just outside the stadium.  Obviously no match ticket but we just had to be in Paris.  The atmosphere on Chemps Elysees on the eve of game was amazing.  Fans from all over the world gathering for one big party.  I do remember it turning a bit wild after dark when a few hundred locals from the suburbs came looking for a fight.  

I P Knightley

The Walkabout in Shepherd's Bush; a cavernous pub with (I think) 9 screens; 4 smaller ones down each side alternately showing the two matches and a massive screen over a stage showing the Scotland match. Walkabouts are/were known as pubs for the (mainly) Antipodean visitors to London and we had a real United Nations in there, including more than our fair share of Brazilian bursds. There weren't many Scots there in their kilts so I drew a bit of attention to myself with a few said bursds quite inquisitive about the kilt. I felt used and objectified; like a piece of meat :(

After the match, the big screen went up and three bursds appeared on the stage singing. A big light show behind them told us that they were The Honeyz. It wasn't really a Honeyz audience, judging by the calls of "get yer tits out" etc. The group I was in genuinely believed that the Walkabout had laid on strippers for the match :biglaugh: . Thought it might have been an antipodean tradition.

The Honeyz were followed by a solo Lloyd Cole with his acoustic guitar. He did four or five songs for us. I think he may have been a bit pissed; he forgot some of the words for Lost Weekend.

I got a taxi home with a lifesize cardboard model of Alan Shearer which McDonald's, erm, gave me. I decided not to take it in to Mrs Knightly so left it on the doorstep of a house in a neighbouring street.

I was a student in Stratford-upon-Avon at the time, watched the game in a boozer called ‘The Froth and Elbow’. Me and my pal were the only two Scottish people there. I don’t remember much about it in all honesty, I was reeking 😂

13 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

The Walkabout in Shepherd's Bush; a cavernous pub with (I think) 9 screens; 4 smaller ones down each side alternately showing the two matches and a massive screen over a stage showing the Scotland match. Walkabouts are/were known as pubs for the (mainly) Antipodean visitors to London and we had a real United Nations in there, including more than our fair share of Brazilian bursds. There weren't many Scots there in their kilts so I drew a bit of attention to myself with a few said bursds quite inquisitive about the kilt. I felt used and objectified; like a piece of meat :(

After the match, the big screen went up and three bursds appeared on the stage singing. A big light show behind them told us that they were The Honeyz. It wasn't really a Honeyz audience, judging by the calls of "get yer tits out" etc. The group I was in genuinely believed that the Walkabout had laid on strippers for the match :biglaugh: . Thought it might have been an antipodean tradition.

The Honeyz were followed by a solo Lloyd Cole with his acoustic guitar. He did four or five songs for us. I think he may have been a bit pissed; he forgot some of the words for Lost Weekend.

I got a taxi home with a lifesize cardboard model of Alan Shearer which McDonald's, erm, gave me. I decided not to take it in to Mrs Knightly so left it on the doorstep of a house in a neighbouring street.

:lol:

Honeyz and Lloyd Cole. In an Aussie bar. Showing a Scotland game. 

Perfect.