Where did you watch Scotland Brazil ‘98?

GlasgoJambo

In a bar Gran Canaria with my soon to be wife, wearing with pride, my Hearts top, after just winning the Scottish cup, so the last time Scotland were at a major tournament, Hearts won the cup.....

... interesting.

🤔

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Greedy Jambo

• TyphoonJambo

• cb1874

In the stadium with 4 jambos, an ex ref and his east fife supporting son. The guy next to me was that wasted that he slept through the whole game. Nearly never got there as my chief at RAF leuchars wanted to cancel my leave when  he found out i had tickets for the brazil and norway games

In a pub in kirkcaldy. Worked for clacks council at the time and they let everyone away from work early as it was such an honour to be playing the opening game!! 

scott herbertson

In the stadium with all my mates and older brother.

Offered my ticket outside the stadium to my brother's mate who must have been the unluckiest man in the world at that moment. He won TWO sets of ticket in two separate  newspaper/ magazine competitions. Had to bump one to take the other, and the one he took they told him and the other winners in the hotel (part of the package) the night before some of the tickets hadn't arrived and they did a draw to see who would get them (he lost). He generously refused my offer so I saw the game. The same bunch of us had been at Seville in 82 as well (and my older brother in Munich too)

Psychedelicropcircle

In the “auld hoose” Musselburgh. Collins scored the penalty the drink went flying...the projector screen went up & 50 of us watched the rest of the game on a portable😂

The Barony Bar, Level 2 of Strathclyde University Union - madness is too mild, it was anarchy. The queues for the bogs was so long we all used the mop cupboard instead. People were even serving themselves drink too. Ashamed of my behaviour that day, but the word's eyes were on Darren Jackson's cheesy grin for that one precious moment - what it means to be a Scot. 

Edited by Deodato

queensferryjambo

A boozer in Beverley Massachusetts. Went down to see if the game was on and there was 2 guys from Edinburgh sitting at the bar.

I was on a training course and presumed these guys were over on holiday but they had in fact lived in the US for over 10 years. I joked that they hadn't lost their Scottish accents, both guys admitted they spoke differently because they were speaking to someone from Scotland. 

We were the only guys in the pub. 

The old pav in Edinburgh. Remember being let out of school a bit early so we could get up the road and watch. People watching through the windows and everything it was rammed. 

A couple of mates were living in a huge rented flat in Morrison Street with a massive open plan living room and kitchen on two levels so we managed to set up a two tiered viewing gallery for a large number of people. I won’t lie we were all so stoned and or pissed I don’t actually remember much of anything about the occasion. My English girlfriend who had no interest in sport  was baffled by the entire thing but joined in the debauchery like a good un. 

I was at the game in the stand opposite the dugouts. Met Alex Salmond and had my picture taken with him whilst holding a saltire with the Hearts crest in the middle which was obtained from a fellow Jambo in the crowd. For the life of me I can’t find the photo. 

20 minutes ago, benny said:

74...House.

78....Tam Bain Pub in Laurieston.

82....Mates house with carry oot.

86...House early hours in morning.

90...House

98 ...Westquarter Club.

.74 ....the book Hampden Babylon has some great stories about what went on that summer. Putting the Scotland captain in a rowing bow pished with no oars the night before kick off was one of them. 

Kinleith in Juniper Green, finished work early that day and the pub was mobbed. I was still on a high after our cup win a few weeks earlier. Some year! 

19 minutes ago, Deodato said:

.74 ....the book Hampden Babylon has some great stories about what went on that summer. Putting the Scotland captain in a rowing bow pished with no oars the night before kick off was one of them. 

It was Sandy Jardine that pushed the rowing boat that wee Jinky was in.

6 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

I watched the first half in the City Cafe on Blair St. They’d set up a telly downstairs and a few rows of chairs for the game. The City Cafe was the go to destination for most of my friends at the time as the house music scene dominated our social lives. It was the place to go first to get seen before heading on to various club nights. The game kicked off and it just didn’t feel right to me. There were people saying shush, and sit down while Scotland played against Brazil in the opening game of a World Cup! Decided to try somewhere else with a few other folk who liked football all year round.

We ended up in Bannermans who were having a half time disco. Carnival De Paris, which Hearts fans had already appropriated, was blasting out. People were having a party. This being merely 3 weeks since that famous day in May I favoured the celebratory boozed up side of being a football fan. And Bannermans became where me and a few other watched Scotland and World Cup games for a good few years after that.

22 years later I’d maybe be looking for somewhere with a seat and a view  and grumbling at the selfishness of my youthful self while secretly being envious at the enthusiasm and carelessness on display.

I hope that whatever happens by June next year that watching your country compete is allowed to be the social activity that it should be.

Watched it in East Whitburn Gothenburg 😆. Brilliant atmosphere.

I remember running home from school to watch the build up. It felt normal for Scotland to be there, but it being against Brazil there was such excitement. How I wish I could go back in time and enjoy that time again, what a year it was in general!

The iolanda (orange grove), Chick's and the Flying Haggis(?)

Can't really remember as i wa awfully drunk

Didn't see it. Travelling to Portsmouth for a cross-channel ferry, ma pa and 3 weans. The game kicked off as we arrived at Portsmouth then sitting on the quay waiting to board David Narey did his bit.  All the Scottish cars on the quay started bouncing about. Drove on just afterwards and , in the days before internet etc. , didn't find out the result until 3 days later!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Part of the great 98 ticket scam. Fortunately someone bought my package just to be in Paris. 

Cloverleaf in Aberdeen was the venue, free pie at halftime,  who wanted to be in Paris anyway  :lol:

A now closed bar in piershill, can't mind the name but it had a few pool tables.  All was fine for the game until a fight broke out at full time. All I remember is one of my mates crying about losing his lion rampant flag when we scarpered away before the police turned up. :) 

I was on the bus home from high school watching it on my phone, 

I'm starting to question that memory though, were phones even capable of that in 1998? 

Might have been a portable tv or the radio! haha. 

I worked in what was at the time, kwik fit head office in Corstorphine Road. A load of us watched in a packed roseburn bar as an underage 17 year old 🤫😂 I can still remember the suspended floor shaking when Collins scored...place was bouncing, literally.

42 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I worked in what was at the time, kwik fit head office in Corstorphine Road. A load of us watched in a packed roseburn bar as an underage 17 year old 🤫😂 I can still remember the suspended floor shaking when Collins scored...place was bouncing, literally.

I was "intimate" with the receptionist at kwikfit hq at that time😁

2 hours ago, ibpc said:

Didn't see it. Travelling to Portsmouth for a cross-channel ferry, ma pa and 3 weans. The game kicked off as we arrived at Portsmouth then sitting on the quay waiting to board David Narey did his bit.  All the Scottish cars on the quay started bouncing about. Drove on just afterwards and , in the days before internet etc. , didn't find out the result until 3 days later!

that was 1982 🙂 

Watched it in Bordeaux and then attended the Scotland Norway game. Would never have believed that Burley's goal that day would be the last Scotland goal at a major tournament for over two decades.  

2 hours ago, ibpc said:

Probably mentioned already but right game, wrong year. We got scudded 4-1 in that game after Narey annoyed them.

5 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

In the “auld hoose” Musselburgh. Collins scored the penalty the drink went flying...the projector screen went up & 50 of us watched the rest of the game on a portable😂

I miss that boozer 😢

In Queens Retreat Bar in Ferry with my Hearts tartan kilt and maroon scotland away top on 

few Hibby kants were ragin at me 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻( think that wis 98 )

Watched it in the flat of two Scottish mates in Kuwait. Must've been about 20 odd there, most had no interest in the game. My (English) best mate and a Kuwaiti friend both turned up in Brazil tops and Scouser wigs  for a wind-up.

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

I was "intimate" with the receptionist at kwikfit hq at that time😁

Can't remember her name but do recall a rather attractive blonde that filled that role for a while. Wasn't her by any chance??!