Where did you watch Scotland Brazil ‘98?

GlasgoJambo

I watched the first half in the City Cafe on Blair St. They’d set up a telly downstairs and a few rows of chairs for the game. The City Cafe was the go to destination for most of my friends at the time as the house music scene dominated our social lives. It was the place to go first to get seen before heading on to various club nights. The game kicked off and it just didn’t feel right to me. There were people saying shush, and sit down while Scotland played against Brazil in the opening game of a World Cup! Decided to try somewhere else with a few other folk who liked football all year round.

We ended up in Bannermans who were having a half time disco. Carnival De Paris, which Hearts fans had already appropriated, was blasting out. People were having a party. This being merely 3 weeks since that famous day in May I favoured the celebratory boozed up side of being a football fan. And Bannermans became where me and a few other watched Scotland and World Cup games for a good few years after that.

22 years later I’d maybe be looking for somewhere with a seat and a view  and grumbling at the selfishness of my youthful self while secretly being envious at the enthusiasm and carelessness on display.

I hope that whatever happens by June next year that watching your country compete is allowed to be the social activity that it should be.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Greedy Jambo

• TyphoonJambo

• hmfcbilly

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

I watched the first half in the City Cafe on Blair St. They’d set up a telly downstairs and a few rows of chairs for the game. The City Cafe was the go to destination for most of my friends at the time as the house music scene dominated our social lives. It was the place to go first to get seen before heading on to various club nights. The game kicked off and it just didn’t feel right to me. There were people saying shush, and sit down while Scotland played against Brazil in the opening game of a World Cup! Decided to try somewhere else with a few other folk who liked football all year round.

We ended up in Bannermans who were having a half time disco. Carnival De Paris, which Hearts fans had already appropriated, was blasting out. People were having a party. This being merely 3 weeks since that famous day in May I favoured the celebratory boozed up side of being a football fan. And Bannermans became where me and a few other watched Scotland and World Cup games for a good few years after that.

22 years later I’d maybe be looking for somewhere with a seat and a view  and grumbling at the selfishness of my youthful self while secretly being envious at the enthusiasm and carelessness on display.

I hope that whatever happens by June next year that watching your country compete is allowed to be the social activity that it should be.

That’s all I’m hoping for. It’s probably not gonna happen but id love to be at Wembley. Brazil 98 I’d been banned from my local as me and a mate had set up buckets of water over the toilet doors when we left late on a Sunday night and the cleaner got taken out by them on the Monday morning, one after the other and had to go home :lol: 

It was a great day though and Collins penalty was some moment... 

I was in the stadium, living and dieing. Scalpers wanting £400 a ticket and swathes of empty seats in the corporate areas. We got dog's abuse from the locals on the way to the game, warning us not dare spoil things by having the temerity to beat Brazil. A day to remember but also a day to forget, if you know what I mean.

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s all I’m hoping for. It’s probably not gonna happen but id love to be at Wembley. Brazil 98 I’d been banned from my local as me and a mate had set up buckets of water over the toilet doors when we left late on a Sunday night and the cleaner got taken out by them on the Monday morning, one after the other and had to go home :lol: 

:lol:

Arrived in Paris.

For some reason one of my mates took all his money and Brazil match ticket out in his bag.

Woke up morning of game.  No bag.  Left it somewhere in centre of Paris.  

Scoured everywhere around Champes D'Elyses (sp) and in last cafe, pub we tried, they did have his bag.  Everything in tact.

The Tron. Absolute ****ing carnage.  Pub opened for breakfast so was skittled before kick off. Only recollection is the anthems, the penalty and Fred Macauley trying to be funny. 

Салатные палочки

Was discussing this with my mates just last night. 

We were 15 so watched it in one of my mates house. Me and a mate headed into town in the morning as he wanted a Scotland shirt. Couldn't get one anywhere so headed back and got the key for his dads drinks cabinet and made a concoction in a two litre ginger bottle. 

One of my mates brought his bagpipes and there was about 30 of us packed into his living room. It was absolute carnage when Collins stuck the penalty away and we were pretty gutted at the end but still buzzing as we had two games left and we had just left school so we just played football every day and procrastinated over getting jobs. 

One thing I remember from that day is one of my mates arriving with his face painted with a saltire but his sister had picked up turquoise paint instead of blue and someone piped up "who the **** are you supporting, the Miami Dolphins" :laugh2:. He took some slagging that day. 

University Campus Fairbanks Alaska. On exercise with the RAF. We were being accommodated on the campus and convinced the manager to open the cinema and tune in their satelite for us. The condition was that we kept it quiet as the game was on in the small hours. 

However, 111Sqn at the time had half the station pipe band on it so, at 2-30am the place was woken by a pipes and drums drunken parade going down the road. 😁😁😁

She never opened up for any other matches. 

Fans zone outside the ground, watched game on big screen, went off at 1-1 and came on after Brazil made it 2. Absolute scenes when Scotland scored, Brazilian fans were boring if I remember..

In the stadium on my £22 ticket watching it in the flesh alongside 7,000 ish other Scots. Great trip, great fun though sad outcome. There must have been 2-3 times as many Scots watching the game I'm bars and fan parks as well as inside.

In my house. Kincardine. By myself.

Wife took the kids out to gie me pease. 

A guy I worked with flew back from a holiday with his wife in the States. 

Landed at Manchester airport on the morning of the game in France.

He didnt tell his wife but on the way from Manchester to the States a week before he dropped a bag with all his Tartan army gear into a security locker at MAN airport

Got off the flight told his missus that he had a flight booked from MAN to CDG Paris. 

Gave his wife a kiss and arrived in Paris 2hr before kick off.

Edited by Hector Riva

Golden Lion in Galashiels, 50p a pint during the game, had just turned 18 that year and what a summer it was after watching Hearts win the cup. Place was rammed, had a piper in the pub playing before the game started and it was rocking. As much as Collins annoys me, was crazy seeing a local guy score against Brazil in the opening match of a World Cup. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Laughed out loud at that :rofl: 

I watched it in the Gluepot in Galashiels, the place was absolutely bouncing, and when Collins penalty went in, drink was flying everywhere, and even though we lost, it was a cracking day!  

Happy times :) 

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I watched it in the Gluepot in Galashiels, the place was absolutely bouncing, and when Collins penalty went in, drink was flying everywhere, and even though we lost, it was a cracking day!  

Good times😀

Tokyo Drifter
2 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

It was either the Jinglin' or the Half Way House. Fleshmarket Close definitely.

I was there.  I watched it beside Gary Locke, resplendent in a Hearts tartan kilt.

I was lucky to be living in Paris in 98.

I recall being in the Auld Alliance pub with Ewan McGregor when a drunk Stan Colleymore attacked Ulrika Jonsson.  I sat beside Stan on the flight over to Paris CDG and he invited me out that night for a beer.  Sheesh! 22 years ago.

Some campsite in the South of France.

I'd taken a bunch of kids on a canoeing/watersports (no, not THOSE ones) trip and on the day of our transfer from Ardeche to south we were going to a waterpark then second campsite.  The one stipulation I had was that we had to arrive in campsite 2 in sufficient time to get somewhere to see the game.

We managed it...just.

Met a Jambo in the bar there through the remaining few days.

16 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I recall being in the Auld Alliance pub with Ewan McGregor when a drunk Stan Colleymore attacked Ulrika Jonsson.  I sat beside Stan on the flight over to Paris CDG and he invited me out that night for a beer.  Sheesh! 22 years ago.

I was in the Auld Alliance the next day and appeared on the front page of the Sun and Daily Snail in a photo they took of it reporting the story, along with fellow JKBer AndrewB. All the framed pictures had been removed from the walls and the whole place was bare, but very busy. There were several versions of the incident circulating among the fans but I'm told the barman artfully dealt with Collymore himself!

53 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Sounds like a normal night in the gluepot

In south-east England, where I lived at the time. My line manager, a snide piece of utter filth, deliberately moved a meeting forward from its scheduled date in the knowledge that I would consequently miss at least the first half of the match. Got home for maybe the last half-hour.

Hong Kong Football Club which was full of England fans wearing Brasil tops and taking the piss out of Scotland before the kick off. They weren't so loud when we put in a performance although of course we still lost.

Say What Again

I watched it in the flat with a bunch of mates. 

Morrisons (it might have even been Safeway at the time?) was doing buy 4 bottles of Miller, get 4 free. I took every single thing I had out of the fridge - though being a young guy in his early 20s living alone, that wasn't much! - and we filled it with Miller. There must have been well over 100 bottles. I remember a golden glow coming from the fride when you opened the door.

On the way back from the shops to the flat we stopped into Scotties for a few pints. The Sky cameras were there (or again whoever it was at the time. BSkyB, Setenata etc - though I'm sure it was Sky).

Watched the fateful Morocco game in The Pitz. It was rammed.

Edited by Say What Again

24 minutes ago, leginten said:

In south-east England, where I lived at the time. My line manager, a snide piece of utter filth, deliberately moved a meeting forward from its scheduled date in the knowledge that I would consequently miss at least the first half of the match. Got home for maybe the last half-hour.

Reminds me of my first weekend in the RAF. ******* Cpl made all the jocks march up and down from 3 to 5 on the Saturday of the England v Scotland game at wembley, 1981. He let us go to tea with the warning that "if youse filthy, cave dwelling porridge eating retards have won, get your arses back at 6 for some more" 

Robertson scored and we won 1-0.

More pointless marching up and down😢

He turned out to be a decent enough bloke actually, for a homividal, racist bigot. Told me years later that he always picked on the Scots as it was his job to get us working as a team and he knew 100% that we all got together at night working out how to **** him over, the beginning of the flight working as a team

Edited by TypoonJambo

Tenerife with the lads.

Watched the game in the hotel bar. 5 Scots and about 30 English lads (they were a good laugh to be fair).

Shut them right up when Collins sent the penalty home. Was short lived but it was out moment in the sun. Brilliant!

What a holiday that was but thats for another fred.

Benidorm. Amazing scenes after the game as hundreds of drunken Scots partied and the police shook their heads and closed off the main drag as a massive conga broke out as we "celebrated" another glorious failure. 😁