Where did you watch Scotland Brazil ‘98?

GlasgoJambo

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Greedy Jambo

• TyphoonJambo

• hmfcbilly

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I was on the bus home from high school watching it on my phone, 

I'm starting to question that memory though, were phones even capable of that in 1998? 

Might have been a portable tv or the radio! haha. 

No chance. Doubt you’d even be able to ply snake on a phone back then. Got my first phone in 2000 and it was a Nokia 3210

2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

No chance. Doubt you’d even be able to ply snake on a phone back then. Got my first phone in 2000 and it was a Nokia 3210

It doesn't make any sense but i'm positive i was watching it on the bus, acting all cool. 

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It doesn't make any sense but i'm positive i was watching it on the bus, acting all cool. 

Giving your mind a treat there. 

Unless you were an innovator I doubt it. You could get wee handheld tellys then though. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Unless you were an innovator I doubt it. You could get wee handheld tellys then though. 

My old man did work for motorola.. 

Wee pishy flip phones mind you. 

Feck knows,  maybe I'm a time traveller.

My old man did work for motorola.. 

Wee pishy flip phones mind you. 

Feck knows,  maybe I'm a time traveller.

Our office had mobiles the size of bricks in 1998. 🤣

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Our office had mobiles the size of bricks in 1998. 🤣

I defo had a green day album in 1998, that i'm certain of. 

And that's got nothing to do with hibs, before anyone starts. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

In the Stade de France, got offered £1k for my ticket by English touts outside the ground but declined for right or for wrong...

Bumped into a few interesting people at the stadium including Gary Locke, Eddie Grey, Terry Yorath and bizarrely Ron Dixon from Brookside 

A Shoreditch Heart

I watched the game in a packed out Star and Garter pub on Poland Street in Soho. I think I was the only Scot in there, but everyone cheered when Collins scored - it was more in utter disbelief than celebration if I remember 🙂

Brazilian Tent area outside St Denis. We couldn't get a ticket for the game, tout's were asking for ridiculous prices. The Scotland tented area was carnage, full of drunk puking Scot's where as the Brazilian area was full of scantly clad burdz....!!

Bordeaux and St Etienne was another story! 

luckyBatistuta
15 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s all I’m hoping for. It’s probably not gonna happen but id love to be at Wembley. Brazil 98 I’d been banned from my local as me and a mate had set up buckets of water over the toilet doors when we left late on a Sunday night and the cleaner got taken out by them on the Monday morning, one after the other and had to go home :lol: 

It was a great day though and Collins penalty was some moment... 

:rofl: you’re some man

15 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Edmonstone Inn, Danderhall

The chook bus is an eye opener 😁

7 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I was on the bus home from high school watching it on my phone, 

I'm starting to question that memory though, were phones even capable of that in 1998? 

Might have been a portable tv or the radio! haha. 

4 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

I reckon he did watch it. I can’t remember the make and model of the device I had, but it was similar to the picture. You could get all the tv on it. I took it to the semi against Falkirk at Ibrox. Had everybody crowded around me watching the Grand National (which I had the first two home…Earth Summit, Suny Bay) 

I had a ticket for the game against Brazil, but never went😞 Ended up watching it in absolute mayhem in The Tartan Club at Fountainbridge.

5F3C127F-552D-460C-AD99-43BD76DAFA95.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

5 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Remembered what it was I had, perhaps you had a similar device, it was an Archos...

C7C8ACE7-C676-4007-B85D-F21D1CED0BD0.jpeg

8 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Can't remember her name but do recall a rather attractive blonde that filled that role for a while. Wasn't her by any chance??

Certainly was. Nice girl, very....... Adventurous lets say😉

She had a good story about Fergus McCann being a miserable ******* everytime he visited Tom Farmer. She was a Jambo but thought the world of mr Farmer. 

Paris, Hotel de Ville for the opener. 

Lost out in the SFA Scotland Travel Club ballot for the Brazil game, but got allocated tickets for Norway and Morocco.

Euro 96 was good, especially half time at Wembley, but the World Cup took it to another level. Brilliant time!!

It's been murder watching from home the last 22 years.

9.jpeg

7.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, cb1874 said:

Paris, Hotel de Ville for the opener. 

Lost out in the SFA Scotland Travel Club ballot for the Brazil game, but got allocated tickets for Norway and Morocco.

Euro 96 was good, especially half time at Wembley, but the World Cup took it to another level. Brilliant time!!

It's been murder watching from home the last 22 years.

9.jpeg

Is that David Templeton far right?

Edited by part_time_jambo

Tarland Jambo
7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Mercat Hotel in Haddington.

I was working behind the bar.

Eddie Bayhnams pub, na swearing!! Was up at the pheasant, won a jacket for guessing the time of the first goal. Got pissed, never got my jacket🤣

37 minutes ago, Tarland Jambo said:

Eddie Bayhnams pub, na swearing!! Was up at the pheasant, won a jacket for guessing the time of the first goal. Got pissed, never got my jacket🤣

That's him. He was my dad.

You're right about the swearing too. He used to go mental when people dropped some colourful language. 😂

6 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Certainly was. Nice girl, very....... Adventurous lets say😉

She had a good story about Fergus McCann being a miserable ******* everytime he visited Tom Farmer. She was a Jambo but thought the world of mr Farmer. 

🤣🤣🤣 brilliant! That office was full of hibs unsurprisingly. Always remember sir Tom's assistant, Senga telling me before the 98 Cup final we wouldn't win it as we were allergic to silverware. The Monday morning after was fantastic! I worked in customer service department at the time along with a diehard hibbee who worshiped Sir Tom. My manager was a jambo though so I decided to phone the customer service number on the Sunday after the game and played the hearts song to the answer service. The gaffer took great delight in playing it hands free across the office that monday. When I walked in he looked at me and said "was that you?" I just smiled wryly and he burst out laughing. For all the hibs that were in there, there was a few jambos too and the banter was good natured. Never seen an awful lot of Tom Farmer but he was decent enough and always asked how you were in passing. I never saw Fergus Mann visit but he did get some fairly famous visitors to that office. I'll never forget passing Jackie Stewart in the corridor and Tom Farmer seemed to be quite pally with Tom Hunter who visited quite a bit in his chauffeur driven Bentley!

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

A mate telling me the cheapest tickets for the game at Wembley are £368 :lol: 

The prices have been outrageous, it was £50 for the group matches and l paid £500 for a semi-final Wembley ticket!

Tarland Jambo
54 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

That's him. He was my dad.

You're right about the swearing too. He used to go mental when people dropped some colourful language. 😂

Millar , my dad used to drink there quite often, think he painted your house as well!! Good days👍

10 minutes ago, Tarland Jambo said:

Millar , my dad used to drink there quite often, think he painted your house as well!! Good days👍

Robertson? Good guy. A character. 😆 He still about?

Tarland Jambo
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Robertson? Good guy. A character. 😆 He still about?

I, that's the one👍 He passed away about 7 years ago, cancer. Your no Louise's ex are you?

1 minute ago, Tarland Jambo said:

I, that's the one👍 He passed away about 7 years ago, cancer. Your no Louise's ex are you?

Sorry to hear that.

Nah, that'll be one of my brothers. Both are huns somehow. I clearly got the brains. 

2 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

🤣🤣🤣 brilliant! That office was full of hibs unsurprisingly. Always remember sir Tom's assistant, Senga telling me before the 98 Cup final we wouldn't win it as we were allergic to silverware. The Monday morning after was fantastic! I worked in customer service department at the time along with a diehard hibbee who worshiped Sir Tom. My manager was a jambo though so I decided to phone the customer service number on the Sunday after the game and played the hearts song to the answer service. The gaffer took great delight in playing it hands free across the office that monday. When I walked in he looked at me and said "was that you?" I just smiled wryly and he burst out laughing. For all the hibs that were in there, there was a few jambos too and the banter was good natured. Never seen an awful lot of Tom Farmer but he was decent enough and always asked how you were in passing. I never saw Fergus Mann visit but he did get some fairly famous visitors to that office. I'll never forget passing Jackie Stewart in the corridor and Tom Farmer seemed to be quite pally with Tom Hunter who visited quite a bit in his chauffeur driven Bentley!

She told me McCann stopped her taking a cup of tea out to his driver once saying "i dinnae pay him tae dtink F****n tea" 

Miserable old git. She also insists that Farmer was never the same after that helicopter crash. Took it very personally. 

I was in Cyprus on Holiday. I'm Welsh but went to the boozer to watch games with a few Scots. The night England got knocked out was unforgettable. So much fun

Captain Scarlett

At kick off I was sitting in St Andrew square driving the service 20 bus I had like a 4 hour stint on that bus Eastfield to Granton then to St Andrew square back to Granton and finally back to Eastfield coming off at Kings road.I think in total I had maybe 4 passengers that afternoon so I had plenty time to listen to it on the radio.

6 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Is that David Templeton far right?

That's me...so no....also Temps would've been about 9 years old.

Edited by cb1874
update

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, cb1874 said:

That's me...so no....also Temps would've been about 9 years old.

Has anyone else mentioned the similarity?

part_time_jambo

To answer the original question, was on holiday in Florida and watched it in the villa I had before nipping back out to the pool.😀🍺🥵

Had a great time in Paris. Walked in to the Scotsman bar just after Stan Colemore had thumped Ulrika Jonsson! 😳

Had a beer with Justin from Del Amitri before the game - he never bought me one back! 🙄

Edited by Thomaso

5 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

She told me McCann stopped her taking a cup of tea out to his driver once saying "i dinnae pay him tae dtink F****n tea" 

Miserable old git. She also insists that Farmer was never the same after that helicopter crash. Took it very personally. 

I never met mcCann but maybe he was just an awkward wee guy attempting a bit humour? Could be he was just a pompous w*nker of course! I know Farmer did (and likely still does) a lot for charity so the fact he leant his helicopter and pilot for a charity event in which a wee boy tragically died, I could quite believe he would take that badly. He was/is a very religious man too and donates handsomely to the Catholic Church.  Saved the vermin too but some of them have short memories! In another tenuous link...my 1st job (which I left to join kwik fit funnily enough) was as an office junior for a law firm in the centre of Edinburgh. One of the secretaries was the ex wife of one of the proclaimers. She was an absolute hoot. She used to refer to her ex as that big specky bast*rd. He wasn't particularly tall to the average person but she had dwarfism (not sure if thats still a PC term these days?!) Hence her description of him 🤣🤣 she never had a good word to say about him as a partner or father!