What’s the problem

pointon

1 hour ago, pointon said:

Won the game our biggest performance is required next week 

No problems at all, anywhere in the team. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• pointon

20 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The reason we struggled tonight (IMHO) was that when Gino went off, Wighton replaced him and our shape went all to pot. Not blaming Wighton here but he's not a wide player who can whip crosses in. In the first half he drifted inside (which, as a striker, is his natural instinct). 

The main problem, however, war Halliday sitting really deep. Almost as part of the back four. Frear was conspicuous by his absence too. Which left Walker and Lee up against a 5 man midfield. Walker worked his socks off, but, as a self-confessed Lee fan boy, even I have to admit it wasn't Lee's best performance by a long shot.

The team shape was all wrong and little wonder Arbroath dominated the midfield for long spells.

When Frear went off, White came on. Then Haring stepped onto the park. That's what changed the whole balance back in Hearts favour. Halliday was pushed forward and he started to play (when he'd been absent before). Perfect tactical change from RN.

So what you saying Robbie's no got a clue and you can sort it, I ok then

If we pump the shite (and we will), next week, then no one will even remember the week before. 

Bang average tonight, but we couldn’t take any more from the game than 3 points. And we got the 3 points.

Save a performance for the vermin next week and not one single one of us will even care about the scoreline tonight, far less the performance 

HHGH 

51 minutes ago, Gambo said:

"At a hard venue" when talking about Heart of Midlothian Fc away to Arbroath on a calm day explains clearly that we have a problem tbh.

Yes we have a problem, we are not in the top league. To overcome that problem, you have to win your league and to do that you need to occasionally win ugly. If you think we’re going to win every week comfortably then you have not been following hearts long enough. Tonight was far from perfect but it’s clear we will be better next week. 

Tonight shows how important Gordon is for us. 
massive player who will be major next week.

thinking back to the utter horrendous poppadom hands last season and I’m confident this season.

28 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The reason we struggled tonight (IMHO) was that when Gino went off, Wighton replaced him and our shape went all to pot. Not blaming Wighton here but he's not a wide player who can whip crosses in. In the first half he drifted inside (which, as a striker, is his natural instinct). 

The main problem, however, war Halliday sitting really deep. Almost as part of the back four. Frear was conspicuous by his absence too. Which left Walker and Lee up against a 5 man midfield. Walker worked his socks off, but, as a self-confessed Lee fan boy, even I have to admit it wasn't Lee's best performance by a long shot.

The team shape was all wrong and little wonder Arbroath dominated the midfield for long spells.

When Frear went off, White came on. Then Haring stepped onto the park. That's what changed the whole balance back in Hearts favour. Halliday was pushed forward and he started to play (when he'd been absent before). Perfect tactical change from RN.

Posted earlier bud mis interpreted your post apologies you are right

The problem is the usual suspects haven’t learned their lesson of the last time they slagged Robbie.

We’ve got a 100% record. Every one struggles at Arbroath.

Go support another team if you don’t like winning every game FFS

Problem is Robbie does not know starting 11 for next week and Naisy has had no game time, meanwhile our striker one that is, meandered about the midfield for a lot of the second half, thank feck it's Hibs.

9 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Tonight shows how important Gordon is for us. 
massive player who will be major next week.

thinking back to the utter horrendous poppadom hands last season and I’m confident this season.

If only Celtic has let him come to us on 1st January When he wanted to - ****ing *****

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

It's not really arrogant. Some of the posting suggests clearly some folks haven't a Scooby. If it wasn't so glaring, it might be arrogant.

suggesting that you are in the top 5% of posters on here....

Edited by Thomaso

1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Problem is Robbie does not know starting 11 for next week and Naisy has had no game time, meanwhile our striker one that is, meandered about the midfield for a lot of the second half, thank feck it's Hibs.

The problem isn’t Robbie’s fault - we didn’t vote to only have two ****ing league games before the semi. Give the guy a ****ing break.

rip van tinkle
2 hours ago, euan 10 said:

Very true it’s gonna be like that in all the tight pitches get 3 points move onto cup game against the scum to 

What a load of shite, Gayfield is a far bigger pitch than Tynie 

Was a tough watch and if not for a great save by Craig in the first half and a wee slice of luck in the deflected shot near the end could have been a lot worst. Early injury didn't help, not sure what folk are expecting from haliday he is never going to be a game changer. If we start with Haring next week and maybe get 60 mins out of Naismith then I think we will be ok

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Problem comes when we play better teams. 

Better teams will come at us. Dundee were a better team and we picked them off. Anyone worrying about tonight is wrong.

August Landmesser
8 minutes ago, rip van tinkle said:

What a load of shite, Gayfield is a far bigger pitch than Tynie 

Its longer than Tynie, but Tynie is wider than Gayfield.

Got the job done tonight, that's all that was required, didn't play well but and must up the performance levels next week. 

rip van tinkle
18 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Its longer than Tynie, but Tynie is wider than Gayfield.

Wasn’t sure but took a healthy guess. Just did a quick google and Gayfield is 5 metres longer and 1 metre wider.

Thats around 500 m2 bigger than Tynie, there won’t be many pitches this season smaller than ours 

What I loved about last week was playing in between the lines, turning and then running at Dundee’s back 4 which would then lead to action around the pen area or the ball going wide for crosses to go in. 

when we played well in a couple of patches in the first half that’s what we were doing. 

I think Arbroath played very well for what it’s worth but this going along the back four two or three times to the launch it is pedestrian and characterised the Levein area. 

someone in the midfield must show between the lines or Walker or Boyce must find space between the Lines. The other play is for the centre halves to have the courage to dribble out and push the play forward which leads to gaps as the opposition go to close the CH down. 

we didn’t do these things enough tonight and we must do these things better as we are going to play a lot of teams this season who are very organised and who set up well against us. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

He could’ve put White on and moved Frear to the right to keep the shape, Halliday is an attacking midfielder with a bit of dig not a defensive one. Not sure if he and Haring are fit enough to start and play 90 minutes next week on that big pitch. Give him credit for the latter change but only because his former tactic wasn’t working. 

rip van tinkle
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I would disagree, Arbroath had there best spell after Haring came on. Ok it was route one because they were chasing the game but Haring had no impact on the game 

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

No we won’t.  Not in a league full of plumbers and painters. 

I think Arbroath and Alloa are the only part time teams in the Championship so that’s 50% of the plumbers and painters beaten in the first round of fixtures already. 

All this "We are Heart of Midlothian" patter needs dropped ASAP. We have no divine right to beat any team in the league. We will lose matches and drop points this season. Celtic and Rangers would do the same. Rangers have done. It can happen. After the last year and a half, I'm satisfied when we win any game away from home. Spoilt idiots on this forum. We need to get back up. We can leave the fancy stuff for Tynecastle. I don't care if every away game ends 1-0 to us. We are a second tier side, fairly or not, so have a ****ing reality check.

WheatfieldWarrior
2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Very weird naismith not coming on when we are really struggling. 

I think it just means he isn't fit.

1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

All this "We are Heart of Midlothian" patter needs dropped ASAP. We have no divine right to beat any team in the league. We will lose matches and drop points this season. Celtic and Rangers would do the same. Rangers have done. It can happen. After the last year and a half, I'm satisfied when we win any game away from home. Spoilt idiots on this forum. We need to get back up. We can leave the fancy stuff for Tynecastle. I don't care if every away game ends 1-0 to us. We are a second tier side, fairly or not, so have a ****ing reality check.

Totally disagree. Maybe I'm a spoilt idiot but I was brought up supporting Hearts from the 1980s. This idea that we should somehow accept that we're not Heart of Midlothian and should accept losing sometimes to part time teams is unacceptable to me. We ARE Heart of Midlothian football club. We're in a league we should not be in. Have we been mismanaged for a few years? Yes. That is irrelevant now. I expect us to win every game in our league because we're better than every other club. We are.

I saw my first Hearts match in 1983 and John Robertson scored a hat trick. Maybe that makes me spoiled. I don't know. But if we're ever to get back to where we should be, we have to start treating clubs like Arbroath as the irrelevance that they are. 

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

They don't watch or like football, apart from maybe the CL and EPL. They've attached themselves to Hearts for some reason known only to themselves but they seem to get zero enjoyment from it.

And the form 95% of JKB posters as was being suggested? Don’t think so!

3 hours ago, alanjambo said:

Better teams will come at us. Dundee were a better team and we picked them off. Anyone worrying about tonight is wrong.

I thought Arbroath came at us throughout the 90 minutes and created a massive amount of chances.

SomethingAboutObua

Its fair to complain that a narrow 1-0 win for a professional club against a part time team isn't good enough. The problem isn't it was only 1-0, the problem is we couldn't break down a part time side that lost 3-0 last week, and then even worse they were still able to play attacking football and create good chances. 

Yes a lot of if not all the teams will sit back and we should expect these slow, grinding results, but we shouldn't be struggling at both ends of the pitch against teams like Arbroath. 

3 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Its fair to complain that a narrow 1-0 win for a professional club against a part time team isn't good enough. The problem isn't it was only 1-0, the problem is we couldn't break down a part time side that lost 3-0 last week, and then even worse they were still able to play attacking football and create good chances. 

Yes a lot of if not all the teams will sit back and we should expect these slow, grinding results, but we shouldn't be struggling at both ends of the pitch against teams like Arbroath. 

Despite the fact they had the best defensive record outside the old firm in all 4 of the Scottish leagues?

At home, Arbroath are difficult to beat. I have no doubt at Tynecastle it will be an easier game. Conditions play a part. Dick Campbell is no mug either, he knows how to set up a team.

Problem last night was that we had no Roberts and losing Ginnelly in first 5 minutes wrecked our game plan. 

To get round a team that sits in, needs pace. It’s clearly why RN brought in the wingers he did. Frear was given game time tonight and honestly looked like a rabbit in the headlights and completely out of his depth. The lack of width also meant the full backs couldn’t push on. It left Walker with no space in the middle of the park as we weren’t going down the sides and no service into the strikers.

The change to our plan suited Arbroath. They got confidence from it as they knew we were not going to hurt them in wide areas the same way we did to Dundee.

Boyce, for being brought in as a striker, I was happy with tonight as he showed willing to drop deeper and move out to the wide areas to get the ball and help the team out.

What we do lack when the game starts to descend into a long ball game the way it did tonight is a Sandy Clark type who can hold the ball up and bring in those around them.

I’m not sure how much of a difference Irving would have made in there tonight against a team who were prepared to battle. 

Happy with the points and that we got away with one but clear that some of the squad players are sticking plasters for the division. 

Edited by merseyjambo

A few players didn’t turn up. The central midfield pairing doesn’t look right unless Haring is in it. I thought Frear was very disappointing and we didn’t move around enough off the ball. The centre half’s are both shite. 

Edited by GinRummy

Halkett and Popescu were excellent last night. Never lost a ball in the air and weren’t scared to bring the ball out from the back to start attacks.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Despite the fact they had the best defensive record outside the old firm in all 4 of the Scottish leagues?

At home, Arbroath are difficult to beat. I have no doubt at Tynecastle it will be an easier game. Conditions play a part. Dick Campbell is no mug either, he knows how to set up a team.

Exactly. The guy has been in management in the lower leagues for years and knows how to set up his side against bigger teams. 

Compare that to McPake who probably, naively, set up to have a go last week and we pumped them. 

Toxteth O'Grady

When teams sit in and defend we don’t have anyone who runs through them in the way Charlie Adam did against us last week.

We just keep passing sideways.

10 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Have to say really surprised Naismith did not get some minutes tonight. He is either miles off full fitness or there is some mileage to the rumours him and Neilson have had a wee fall out. 

as mentioned above worried about central midfield next week and really hope Roberts and Gino are fit.  

But 100% record in competitive games and Wighton are positives.  

Looks very much like the latter to me. 

9 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

First back to back league wins since January 2019....couldn’t care less if it was the wrong type of win tonight...

I look forward to winning wrongly again next weekend.

👍Five competitive games played and five competitive games won.  Can’t please everyone though. No style in the victories - very Hibsish. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Dumbarton 0 - 0 Hearts

Alloa 0 - 1 Hearts

Hearts 1 - 0 Raith

Falkirk 1 - 2 Hearts

Livingston 0 - 1 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 3 Falkirk

Livingston 2 - Hearts 3

Hearts 1 - 0 Livingston

Queen of the South 1 - 2 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 1 Raith

Cowdenbeath 1 - 2 Hearts

All league results in a season when we won a record 91 points out of 108, scoring 96 goals in 36 gams in the process. Anyone who expects us to win by multiple goals every week is an idiot.

think alloa missed 3 1 on 1s with the goalkeeper that day

you can also add games like 4-1 at home v qos where we were outplayed for large periods but scored 3 goals in the last 20-odd minutes

all true but what about Robbie’s swashbuckling passing teams off the park every week - oh yes that’s a myth ironically being exposed (to an extent) by perpetrators of this myth (not you that I am aware of) as a defence of current time robbie

the old assumption no-one on the internet has a memory mistake :lol:

that at was a decent win last night - any supposed fundamental deficiencies will be tested next week 

Even tho it was Arbroath by the sea, the wind wasn’t that bad. I think some of the players struggled with the bumpy pitch. We couldn’t move the ball quickly enough on the deck putting pressure on the receiver so most ended up hoofing it. Only Smith with any accuracy. 
We need to learn to cope with the different challenges of shit grounds. 
the other point was loss of any width played into their hands. 
The positive was Robbie spotted the problems and made changes to attempt to address them.   Last Season, we would still have been debating what to do. 
One less game to the title. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
21 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

When teams sit in and defend we don’t have anyone who runs through them in the way Charlie Adam did against us last week.

We just keep passing sideways.

Robbies passing game - anyone one who doesnt understand that knows nothing about footballl/entitled/post-vlad entitled/a fifa video game player/bigot/racist/hibs fan or hun

:(

10 hours ago, Herbert said:

We played into arbroaths hands we done the same against dundee in the 2nd half last week. We need to control games and play at a higher tempo and stop letting other teams control the game.

After decades of seeing us playing well against the Bigot brothers only to lose, I've come to realise that winning is most important and very seldom does a top team control the game for 90 mins.

Its about how you defend when you're not in control and how you score when you are.  I think back to our long runs v Hibs and how many games they were dominant in possession. 

Winning is 99% certainly this season.

10 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Not a chance, Boyce showed some very intelligent touches and awareness tonight.  Supply to him was dire.

I’d agree about the supply Boyce got - but I have to say Wighton looked fine when he came on. Took his goal really well.

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Lee was the one player showing some creativity. I think we missed Irving. Any 3 of Irving, Haring and Lee should be our centre mids with Halliday as back-up. My worry with Halliday vs Hibs is that a physical, all action player like him who is off the pace can get sent off very easily against better opponents. Just takes one moment of him forgetting he's off the pace and mis-timing a tackle.

That gives me the fear also. I don’t think Halliday has the legs for 90 mins at Hampdump 

Bazzas right boot

The problem is we have fans that think like OF fans. They think football is played on a balance sheet and we should win ever game by a big score. 

We also have fans that have no idea about football and expect every game to go like the last one, they also give no thought to the opposition and acknowledge that the other team will try to stop us.

They think it's all about Hearts, try harder, push, get the ball forward blah, blah, every cliché - the other team might try that as well. 

They are also impatient and piss their pants too easily. 

Many also just like to moan. 

For the majority, no problem tho-5 wins out of 5.

Edited by Smith's right boot

A lot of away games will be like this this season. We’ll steam roll teams at tynecastle and will be tighter games away from home on smaller pitches and poorer surfaces. 
Expectations were obviously high after last week but 3 points is 3 points closer to getting out this division.