Draft beer machines @ home

graygo

3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

I'd be surprised if you can pick one up for less that the £199 Beerhawk are currently looking for. Not seen it cheaper than that for years.

Aye, I might just go for it. I do have 4 subs of Moretti still to get through though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• Sooperstar

• Tott

• muldoon74

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might be in the minority here but my mate has got one of the Krups ones and every drink i've had out of it ends up looking like a minister's collar with a big foamy head, even if its been in there for 3 hours. And yes, I know how to pour a pint........

A lot of fuss and waste IMO. I'll stick to the cans and bottles.

Dean Winchester
2 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

I might be in the minority here but my mate has got one of the Krups ones and every drink i've had out of it ends up looking like a minister's collar with a big foamy head, even if its been in there for 3 hours. And yes, I know how to pour a pint........

A lot of fuss and waste IMO. I'll stick to the cans and bottles.

There is definitely a bit of an art to it. I found the first little bit after opening a new Torp was very frothy so would tend to pour a very small amount first, down the drain and then pour a proper pint with no issues. The next 2 are usually fine.

PD isn't nearly as much hassle as the Sub for pouring it as long as you pull it down quickly.

Governor Tarkin
On 13/10/2020 at 14:06, Craig_ said:

Which is a shame, as I love Joker, Caesar Augustus etc dearly!

So do I. 

Caesar and Joker in Sub torps would be 

OIP.BbUvuQr-qEUTzJUY44D1aAAAAA?w=119&h=1

1 hour ago, jambostuart said:

Going by the reviews on amazon of those 2 alternatives, you would be better holding off until you can scrape another £50 together and get the perfect draught mate 

1 hour ago, jambostuart said:

I looked at them but decided against them mainly due to the rubbish reviews. They will work with any of the 5l kegs that you can buy in supermarkets but you need to use CO2 cartridges with them apart from the Heineken keg which is pressurised.

If you go down that route then shop around as they can be bought cheaper than Amazon offer them.

Better pint from the Krups Sub Compact and cheaper at £99, problem is you only get 2l then need to change the Torp (mini keg)

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/p/beertaps/the-sub-compact-black-edition

Edited by graygo

9 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

What does it work out at per pint (PD)?

I posted a spreadsheet on page 1 with the actual costs per pint for the different beers.

On 13/10/2020 at 08:14, graygo said:

I've joined the Facebook page that @Dean Winchester suggested above and you can get extra discount through them, real cost for Stella is £1.86 per pint.

FB_IMG_1602572968088.jpg

14 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

What does it work out at per pint (PD)?

There you go. 👍

Dean Winchester
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

11°c.  Now we wait....and wait....... and wait...... ah feck it, warm beer never killed anyone.

img_20201015_1946297_yYx4H.jpg

Be a good 8 hours or so before it gets down to 3 :lol: 

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

11°c.  Now we wait....and wait....... and wait...... ah feck it, warm beer never killed anyone.

img_20201015_1946297_yYx4H.jpg

Need to drink your pints very fast with those nucleated glasses. Goes flat after about ten minutes! 

2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Need to drink your pints very fast with those nucleated glasses. Goes flat after about ten minutes! 

10 minutes? Fast? 

:rofl:

It's a fair point though, I might start a wee collection of glasses to match the beers.

Edited by graygo

Cheers for the responses. A wee bit more saving up for the proper thing I think. I did look at the subs but 3 pints or so would need changed constantly so needs to be at least 5l for me

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Ordered the PD tonight.

I think I'm going to be a very happy chappy with my purchase, beer is now at 7°c and is tasting better and smoother the lower it gets.

7 hours ago, graygo said:

I think I'm going to be a very happy chappy with my purchase, beer is now at 7°c and is tasting better and smoother the lower it gets.

Looking forward to its arrival. A bonus for one of my brothers too who will be getting my 5 month old Sub and a couple of Moretti torps for free. 

7 hours ago, graygo said:

a lot of people moan on the Facebook page about some of the lagers not having enough fizz, what they don’t realise if you go to a decent pub in Germany then these brands are way smoother over there.

a few years back on a lads weekend in Prague one of the boys did nothing but moan that the staro and pilsner urquell had no bubbles ‘like tennents’ ....

12 hours ago, graygo said:

There you go. 👍

What does the beer tokens refer to?

I get the other 2 - the 15% group discount and the keg return.

2 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

a lot of people moan on the Facebook page about some of the lagers not having enough fizz, what they don’t realise if you go to a decent pub in Germany then these brands are way smoother over there.

a few years back on a lads weekend in Prague one of the boys did nothing but moan that the staro and pilsner urquell had no bubbles ‘like tennents’ ....

Are you saying the lagers are not as fizzy from a PD? 

If so less bloating and room for more beer win win

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What does the beer tokens refer to?

I get the other 2 - the 15% group discount and the keg return.

From the beerhawk website it looks like everytime you buy beer you get tokens, like a loyalty card that can be used to reduce the price of beer

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

From the beerhawk website it looks like everytime you buy beer you get tokens, like a loyalty card that can be used to reduce the price of beer

Ah that's not a bad idea then.

So cheapest option is definitely buying from Beerhawk. Shop will be handy if you're in a bind though.

Dean Winchester
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Ah that's not a bad idea then.

So cheapest option is definitely buying from Beerhawk. Shop will be handy if you're in a bind though.

Yes, if you bought from a shop you'd lose out on the discount and the beer tokens but you can still return PD kegs bought elsewhere to Beer Hawk and get the £5.

4 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Yes, if you bought from a shop you'd lose out on the discount and the beer tokens but you can still return PD kegs bought elsewhere to Beer Hawk and get the £5.

They look great. The hint has been majorly dropped to the wife for Xmas :lol:

28 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Good to see that some of the shops are also taking back the empty kegs for £5.

5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

generally they are not, so as you say, win - win there

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Accidentally left one of my Sub Torps in the freezer overnight. Anyone know if it is now knackered?

I've done that with Morretti and it was fine. 👍

Down to my last 11 torps. Will get in another order when I hit single figures. 

30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've done that with Morretti and it was fine. 👍

Down to my last 11 torps. Will get in another order when I hit single figures. 

Perfect, cheers.

My Perfect Draft has now arrived and I have done the very easy set up. Stella is chilling away.

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Perfect, cheers.

My Perfect Draft has now arrived and I have done the very easy set up. Stella is chilling away.

👍

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of those too. 

On 16/10/2020 at 11:12, graygo said:

Good to see that some of the shops are also taking back the empty kegs for £5.

Yep, the one on the Halbeath Road in Dunfy takes them.

Seems to be a good few folks getting these things now, maybe we should get a separate forum on here?! 

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍

Just do it. Don't waste any more time pretending you won't. I done that and now I'm sitting hoping it gets to at least 6 degrees in the next couple of hours. Could have had it two days ago.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍

Thinking the same and I already have two Subs from when they were on sale for like £59 😩

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Thinking the same and I already have two Subs from when they were on sale for like £59 😩

That's when I bought my two. Unbelievable deal. Got the mini subs and around 80 pints for a couple of hundred pounds. 

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's when I bought my two. Unbelievable deal. Got the mini subs and around 80 pints for a couple of hundred pounds. 

Just couldn't say no to that, and I managed to snag a maroon one to go with the black, so who could complain?

37 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Glad you never said 59 bucks there otherwise I'd have had to pull you up.

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Glad you never said 59 bucks there otherwise I'd have had to pull you up.

I'm grateful never to have called sterling "bucks" :lol:

6 hours ago, graygo said:

Not happy ☹️

30 days it says these last.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

How did they first keg go down?

Worth the initial outlay?

Havent bought one yet

On santa's list however..

27 minutes ago, Tott said:

How did they first keg go down?

Worth the initial outlay?

Havent bought one yet

On santa's list however..

It was lovely (Stella). Obviously it will be a while before I can say that the initial outlay was worth it but I reckon I'll get good use out of it as it'll be a long time before I see the inside of a pub again.

Order in for another 3 kegs, Stella, Jupiler and Lowenbrau.