Draft beer machines @ home

graygo

Yesterdays Yodel delivery...WTF!

Got a text from Yodel stating the package had been left in a safe place, found this odd, my daughter was home. I called her and asked if there was a delivery ticket stating the package had ben left in my designated safe place, she opened the door to find the £304 purchase sitting on the door step in view of the road outside...:angry:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• Sooperstar

• Tott

• muldoon74

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, OBE said:

I read the big book of instructions last night, emphasising that the o-rings must be moist when attaching the dispenser arm to the keg. Maybe try removing the dispenser arm, wetting it and replacing, It can only leak from 2 places G. The arm to the keg & the tube to the arm. It is a beer leak and not condensation from the chiller?

Surely his post was a joke about hot fast he drank it? :lol:

1 hour ago, OBE said:

I read the big book of instructions last night, emphasising that the o-rings must be moist when attaching the dispenser arm to the keg. Maybe try removing the dispenser arm, wetting it and replacing, It can only leak from 2 places G. The arm to the keg & the tube to the arm. It is a beer leak and not condensation from the chiller?

Nah it's not condensation mate. 10.5 pints is only lasting a night or two and I'm not drinking that much or at least i can't remember drinking that much. I really need to find the leak cos the wife's moaning about how much I'm spending on kegs.

:whistling:

1 hour ago, stevie1874 said:

Anyone know if any shops around Edinburgh stocking PD Kegs as yet?

Day Today shops in Wallyford and Prestonpans if that's any use.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Nah it's not condensation mate. 10.5 pints is only lasting a night or two and I'm not drinking that much or at least i can't remember drinking that much. I really need to find the leak cos the wife's moaning about how much I'm spending on kegs.

:whistling:

Aye Ok.

56 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

What's the maintenance like with these, do you need to clean the pipes etc?

New pipe is supplied with every keg but I give the machine a quick wipe down after every keg, takes a minute.

Disser Pointon
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

New pipe is supplied with every keg but I give the machine a quick wipe down after every keg, takes a minute.

Cheers mate

• 3 weeks later...

Fancied some sort of home draft system for a while and after reading this thread and getting advice from a couple of pals,  I got the Blade machine delivered on Saturday along with kegs of Tiger and Moretti. Absolutely delighted. Proper pints in the house. 

Edited by GinRummy

• 2 weeks later...

PD, Stella, Leffe Ruby, Spaten, and Jaipur, all sampled/ersed. Spaten in the summer time will be the dugs. Had to unplug the feckin thing, found it very difficult with it chilling away and not having one.

Leffe Ruby and Noel, Lowenbrau and Kwak for the restricted festivities. Kwak sounds fun!

14 minutes ago, OBE said:

PD, Stella, Leffe Ruby, Spaten, and Jaipur, all sampled/ersed. Spaten in the summer time will be the dugs. Had to unplug the feckin thing, found it very difficult with it chilling away and not having one.

Leffe Ruby and Noel, Lowenbrau and Kwak for the restricted festivities. Kwak sounds fun!

The true Kwak experience is only had if you have the proper glass:

AG191.jpg

It was created for wagon drivers to be able to drink on the job :lol:

Any Sub owners figure out how to get the blasted thing from dispensing 50% foam? It's pretty tiresome waiting for five minutes before you can get a full non-foam pint in hand. I've tried propping up the back so it's sitting at a 10° angle or so and that seems to help the tiniest bit, but not enough to really make a difference.

4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

AG191.jpg

Experienced that glass in Porto last September, does't taste like 8.4, early dark for the wife...

5 minutes ago, OBE said:

Experienced that glass in Porto last September, does't taste like 8.4, early dark for the wife...

Nice! Yes, a lot of Belgian beers are sneaky like that. Kwak, Delirium Tremens, Westmalle... you forget you're drinking 8+% and then bam, you just fell over trying to stand up :lol:

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

AG191.jpg

I've got a kwak glass, was not impressed with the kwak beer

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Any Sub owners figure out how to get the blasted thing from dispensing 50% foam? It's pretty tiresome waiting for five minutes before you can get a full non-foam pint in hand. I've tried propping up the back so it's sitting at a 10° angle or so and that seems to help the tiniest bit, but not enough to really make a difference.

The blade is the same. I think it’s just how it is. If you go to a pub in the Netherlands they just keep pouring past overflow and half the foam (and a good amount of the beer) goes down the drain ‘till you end up with a decent glass of beer.  

Edited by GinRummy

5 hours ago, OBE said:

Doing a whole keg of Kwak in an evening seems to be a badge of honour on the PD FB page. 

Personally I'd be pishing in the cupboard and throwing up over the wife if I tried that! 

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I keep hearing this about Sub machines but I’ve had one since July and I’ve never had this problem. I turn the machine on and leave it empty until the light goes green, I always have a couple of Torps in the fridge ready and load one in the morning.

when I pour a pint I quickly pull the lever fully down and pour into a pint glass at 45degrees and slowly straighten it up.

I realise that I appear to be in the minority but this seems to work for me.

49 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Doing a whole keg of Kwak in an evening seems to be a badge of honour on the PD FB page. 

Personally I'd be pishing in the cupboard and throwing up over the wife if I tried that! 

Wrong side of 60 now Craig, I'll leave the badges for the young team...:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, buzz said:

I keep hearing this about Sub machines but I’ve had one since July and I’ve never had this problem. I turn the machine on and leave it empty until the light goes green, I always have a couple of Torps in the fridge ready and load one in the morning.

when I pour a pint I quickly pull the lever fully down and pour into a pint glass at 45degrees and slowly straighten it up.

I realise that I appear to be in the minority but this seems to work for me.

Yep, with ya on all of this... You must just have the magic touch I guess! :biggrin:

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Yep, with ya on all of this... You must just have the magic touch I guess! :biggrin:

I don't have too much bother either JZ. Have you tried storing your beer glasses in the fridge? A frosted glass helps to keep the foam down.

50 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The other thing I do is rinse the glass out with cold water every time.🤞

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, buzz said:

This has a similar effect to keeping the glasses in the fridge, as the condensation that forms on them when you take them out to pour keeps the froth down.

Wouldn't get one personally as just fad of the moment.

That said I was at my mates 'beer garden' and it was class. Too easy to go through a keg though. Would be dangerous to have at home.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't have too much bother either JZ. Have you tried storing your beer glasses in the fridge? A frosted glass helps to keep the foam down.

1 hour ago, buzz said:

Yes and yes I'm afraid 😩 Ah well.

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Too easy to go through a keg though. Would be dangerous to have at home.

I can confirm that this is the case. :(

4 hours ago, Alan_R said:

That said I was at my mates 'beer garden' and it was class. Too easy to go through a keg though. Would be dangerous to have at home.

It’s fantastic. 

7 hours ago, Alan_R said:

It's superb mate. But you're right, it is dangerous to have at home.

Just finished off the Spaten Oktoberfest. Very easy drinking and at 5.9% catches up on you after a few pints. Don't think I'd order again though, others I prefer.

8 hours ago, Alan_R said:

A fad of the moment, but class...pretty unique!

1 hour ago, OBE said:

A fad of the moment, but class...pretty unique!

class night, thoroughly enjoyed. Nice for the occasional use but wouldn't be bothered with owning one. Same applies to hot tubs.

9 hours ago, Alan_R said:

class night, thoroughly enjoyed. Nice for the occasional use but wouldn't be bothered with owning one. Same applies to hot tubs.

Hot tubs, keep em! Like a slab of Galaxy, should never be shared.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Just having a Leffe Blonde to start the day.

I arsed a lowenbrau between Friday and Saturday and placed a Leffe Blonde in for today as well....

Governor Tarkin
13 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Nice for the occasional use but wouldn't be bothered with owning one. Same applies to hot tubs.

I had one of my Subs set up next to the hot tub in the autumn there. Magic on those crisp, clear, nights

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Just having a Leffe Blonde to start the day.

:yas:

Shanks said no

Have a Becks in at the moment, first lager I haven't liked in the PD, 3 or 4 of us on the lager today so the Lowenbrau chilling in the fridge will be started well before KO

1 hour ago, moz said:

I arsed a lowenbrau between Friday and Saturday and placed a Leffe Blonde in for today as well....

The Lowenbrau Oktoberfest is probably my favourite keg. Wonderful stuff. 

15 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Have a Becks in at the moment, first lager I haven't liked in the PD, 3 or 4 of us on the lager today so the Lowenbrau chilling in the fridge will be started well before KO

Not talking about the perfect draft version of Becks but I always got horrendous hangovers drinking Becks

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got myself one of these last week. All my mates getting them so would be rude not to. A real game changer to drinking in the house. Drinking cans really wears off tbh.

I can't pour a pint for toffee, but thankfully my girlfriend used to work in pubs and can pour them perfectly.

@graygo I seen you mentioned about the Day Today shops selling them, I've been told you can take the kegs back there too? Have you had any experience of that. I'd rather just take them to a shop and swap them straight for another keg instead of faffing about with sending them to Beer Hawk.

10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Finally got myself one of these last week. All my mates getting them so would be rude not to. A real game changer to drinking in the house. Drinking cans really wears off tbh.

I can't pour a pint for toffee, but thankfully my girlfriend used to work in pubs and can pour them perfectly.

@graygo I seen you mentioned about the Day Today shops selling them, I've been told you can take the kegs back there too? Have you had any experience of that. I'd rather just take them to a shop and swap them straight for another keg instead of faffing about with sending them to Beer Hawk.

Are you based anywhere near Whitburn in West Lothian? Did you say you were based in Livi before iirc? Anyway the Gothenburg in Whitburn takes them back and sells them. £5 back per keg.

13 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Are you based anywhere near Whitburn in West Lothian? Did you say you were based in Livi before iirc? Anyway the Gothenburg in Whitburn takes them back and sells them. £5 back per keg.

Nah mate, I'm the other side of town, Musselburgh. Apparently the Nisa shop at Pinkie does them now, and I live about a 10-15 minute walk from them. Not wanting to humph my kegs along though until I know for definite that they'll take them. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Locky said:

Nah mate, I'm the other side of town, Musselburgh. Apparently the Nisa shop at Pinkie does them now, and I live about a 10-15 minute walk from them. Not wanting to humph my kegs along though until I know for definite that they'll take them. :lol: 

Son in law mentioned Day Today shop in Wallyford does them.

Edit ... photo from their FB

Image may contain: indoor

Edited by Jambo314

4 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Son in law mentioned Day to Day shop in Wallyford does them.

Yeah I've seen they sell them. Apparently do the £5 return too. It's the adult version of taking your globe bottles back. :rofl: 

Pinkie is much closer though so would prefer to go there as I don't drive.

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

Yeah I've seen they sell them. Apparently do the £5 return too. It's the adult version of taking your globe bottles back. :rofl: 

Pinkie is much closer though so would prefer to go there as I don't drive.

The Nisa Pinkie shop website photos show a good selection of beers etc but can't see any kegs on show.

7 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

The Nisa Pinkie shop website photos show a good selection of beers etc but can't see any kegs on show.

Just looked on Facebook and there's a post from December 23rd showing them. Not a great range though tbh, although that could've changed.

Just seen they're on Uber Eats too. Wonder if they'll deliver kegs to me. :rofl: 

On 19/12/2020 at 12:37, Justin Z said:

Yes and yes I'm afraid 😩 Ah well.

I'm exactly the same, no matter what I do I have this hassle. So much so that not used this year at all, just a decoration now, will fire on Ebay. 

40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Decided not to bother with one of these, reckon the novelty would wear off quite quickly.

Depends really on how you're using it. I do like a bevvy at the weekend and as I mentioned before, this really is the perfect balance between going to the pub and standard home drinking. If you like a good few beers on the weekend, or like to have people round often to watch football or whatever, it's perfect.

But granted, if you're not one to drink at home all that often, it's an expensive piece of kit to fork out on.