Draft beer machines @ home

graygo

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Depends really on how you're using it. I do like a bevvy at the weekend and as I mentioned before, this really is the perfect balance between going to the pub and standard home drinking. If you like a good few beers on the weekend, or like to have people round often to watch football or whatever, it's perfect.

But granted, if you're not one to drink at home all that often, it's an expensive piece of kit to fork out on.

I've still got 2 bottles left from a 12 pack I got 2 weeks before Christmas.

Went through 4 bottles of rum mind you.

:lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• Sooperstar

• Tott

• muldoon74

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've still got 2 bottles left from a 12 pack I got 2 weeks before Christmas.

Went through 4 bottles of rum mind you.

:lol:

I'm strictly beer. I love Leffe and tried Jupiler for the first time in the keg which was lovely. Leffe in a bottle is decent, but you really taste the difference on draft, and for me you cannot compare drinking a can or bottle, to having a cold pint. Or 10. :ninja: 

Just now, Locky said:

I'm strictly beer. I love Leffe and tried Jupiler for the first time in the keg which was lovely. Leffe in a bottle is decent, but you really taste the difference on draft, and for me you cannot compare drinking a can or bottle, to having a cold pint. Or 10. :ninja: 

Nah you're right, pint wins every time. I'm more of a spirits drinker in the house which makes the PD a waste of time for me. 

I reckon my monthly outgoing on beer for the house is a tenner.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nah you're right, pint wins every time. I'm more of a spirits drinker in the house which makes the PD a waste of time for me. 

I reckon my monthly outgoing on beer for the house is a tenner.

Aye I get that tbh. Too much spirit abuse in my younger days has put me off most spirits for life. I've got a bottle of vodka in my kitchen cupboard that I've had since 2017. :lol:

I quite like a wine these days in the house, but doubt I'd be seen dead with a glass of wine when I'm out. I never used to be much of a house drinker at all before Covid, partially because I hate the lack of choice in most places, but even the Tesco at my bit has really upped their game with some good Czech and German beers. PD is just really going to top that for me.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Finally got myself one of these last week. All my mates getting them so would be rude not to. A real game changer to drinking in the house. Drinking cans really wears off tbh.

I can't pour a pint for toffee, but thankfully my girlfriend used to work in pubs and can pour them perfectly.

@graygo I seen you mentioned about the Day Today shops selling them, I've been told you can take the kegs back there too? Have you had any experience of that. I'd rather just take them to a shop and swap them straight for another keg instead of faffing about with sending them to Beer Hawk.

Wallyford Day Today will take as many empties as you have, £5 each.

Edit: should have read on, question answered already.  👍

Edited by graygo

Just now, graygo said:

Wallyford Day Today will take as many empties as you have, £5 each. 👍

Superb mate. I assume you could just put it towards your purchase if buying more. I'll need to take a walk up.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Superb mate. I assume you could just put it towards your purchase if buying more. I'll need to take a walk up.

I've been in a couple of times, took back 2 empties and only bought 1 keg both times.

Machine is switched of till February to save my liver.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I've been in a couple of times, took back 2 empties and only bought 1 keg both times.

Machine is switched of till February to save my liver.

Sadly I doubt I'll be able to buy any til payday. :( 

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

I think they only take them in part payment for goods. Don't think you could take 3 kegs back and walk out with £15 cash.

5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I think they only take them in part payment for goods. Don't think you could take 3 kegs back and walk out with £15 cash.

Yeah I imagine they'd probably try and make you buy something. Although tbh, I'd probably only go along there with the intention of bring another keg back.

14 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Decided not to bother with one of these, reckon the novelty would wear off quite quickly.

You're not trying hard enough. 

I've had one for about four years now, still always got a keg on the go. 

2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

You're not trying hard enough. 

I've had one for about four years now, still always got a keg on the go. 

Folk will know themselves if they’ll use it enough to make it worthwhile. I’ve always had a few beers in the house so buying a machine want a risk. It’s not like a juicer or something that you start of using and ends up in a car boot sale a year later. 

10 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Folk will know themselves if they’ll use it enough to make it worthwhile. I’ve always had a few beers in the house so buying a machine want a risk. It’s not like a juicer or something that you start of using and ends up in a car boot sale a year later. 

Most of the ones I've seen for sale are because folk have been using them too much and piling on the pounds!

14 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Most of the ones I've seen for sale are because folk have been using them too much and piling on the pounds!

I can relate to that. Not selling though 😀

5 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I can relate to that. Not selling though 😀

I'm not selling mine but it's having a sabbatical while I attempt a detox. 7 days now. ☹️

6 hours ago, graygo said:

I'm not selling mine but it's having a sabbatical while I attempt a detox. 7 days now. ☹️

Best of luck. I’m planning a lengthy dry period but after the worst of Covid. Far too much time on my hands at the moment.

6 hours ago, graygo said:

Mine is off for January, but only because I have a load of bottles which were bought for a Boxing Day that never was to get through.

Mine is also currently off...only about the 3rd time, in as many years of ownership..!

Wading through a couple of cases of Guinness surger cans though and awaiting my kegs to be credited back before another order of Belguims finest is back in the machine.....

• 3 weeks later...
Cairneyhill Jambo

Was hoping to get a Philips Perfect Draft machine but everyone seems to be sold out so have got a couple of 5ltr kegs.  Punk IPA from Brewdog and Jarl from Fyne Ales. Both were pretty decent. £20 each.

Quite a few breweries are doing the 5ltr kegs now. Stewart's, Williams Bros,  Harviestoun, and Beath Brewery.

fyne-ales-jarl.jpg

brewdog-punk-ipa-5ltr-keg.jpg

Captain Sausage
35 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Was hoping to get a Philips Perfect Draft machine but everyone seems to be sold out so have got a couple of 5ltr kegs.  Punk IPA from Brewdog and Jarl from Fyne Ales. Both were pretty decent. £20 each.

Quite a few breweries are doing the 5ltr kegs now. Stewart's, Williams Bros,  Harviestoun, and Beath Brewery.

fyne-ales-jarl.jpg

This may be the best of the lot ...

E7719855-A35D-4013-976B-158723384298.jpeg

Cairneyhill Jambo
On 27/01/2021 at 18:25, Captain Sausage said:

This may be the best of the lot ...

E7719855-A35D-4013-976B-158723384298.jpeg

Great choice. I can remember when the Harviestoun Brewery started in a cow shed at Dollar, next to the Riverside campsite. Ken Booker was the owner and my maw in law had just moved to Tillicoultry and we were going to visit her on the Saturday so phoned Ken and naively asked if he did brewery tours. He said just pop in so we did. I've actually held the first bottle of Harviestoun beer. It was a bottle of Ptarmigan. He had just bought a bottling machine from some brewery in Germany and it had just arrived. 

Anyhow, here's the kegs the Williams Bros are doing. 

20210128_235859.jpg

Make your own booze at home.

It's actually really easy once you sort out all the kit.

I have a still and have been making spirits for years.   I buy beer kits all the time and they only take weeks to brew with bugger all to do.  They are very, very nice.

I've also made mead for years.  Anyone looking for advice, just give me a shout.  I can make about 5ish litres of clean spirits (vodka) for about £15.  That's after the initial investment of buying the kit

Bought 6L PD Hertog Jan keg yesterday and had a few drinks last night. Really nice stuff. Had the machine since mid December when Aldi when selling them for £199.99. Tried Stella, Spaten, Franziskaner, Jupiler so far and all have been nice. 

On 27/01/2021 at 17:49, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

fyne-ales-jarl.jpg

Seen a brewdog one in Tesco and was tempted. Is there alot of foam or does it pour easy?

Seen this place mentioned on the "perfect draft keg tips" FB group,they did have machines advertised a few weeks back.

image.png.2903bc85080177f9049b97016e423b29.png

Thats where I bought the Hertog Jan keg. They have a facebook page which post when they have machines and keg deliveries.

14 minutes ago, Gerd Muller said:

Thats where I bought the Hertog Jan keg. They have a facebook page which post when they have machines and keg deliveries.

Good choice with the hertog Jan,its a lovely beer.

fyne-ales-jarl.jpg

Back in stock now.

Pay day today, so might order a keg online at Beerhawk.

Went on a mission last week to get a keg. Went to the Pinkie Farm Shop from mine, with 2 empties only to find they were out of stock. Jumped on a 44 that was due up to Wallyford and got the DayToday. Better off tbh as they are cheaper, and £6 a keg. Ended up with a keg of Leffe Blonde for only £21! Decided to walk it back on the railway path to mine. Can't tell if that was the worst choice, or sitting up til 5am tanning pints of Leffe was.

38 minutes ago, graygo said:

They get stock of machines in most days but sell out fast so you need to be quick.

The boy on Facebook who works for beerhawk was saying they're expecting a big delivery of kegs, but this is last lot of machines for 2 weeks.

Governor Tarkin

What's the Stella like on a the perfect draught? Not a big fan of Stella generally but will need to find a cooking lager for the missus and general consumption.

The Moretti for the sub is sublime.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

What's the Stella like on a the perfect draught? Not a big fan of Stella generally but will need to find a cooking lager for the missus and general consumption.

The Moretti for the sub is sublime.

Stella is night and day to the bottles / cans.....lovely pint on the PD

I will finishing a Jupiler and putting a Stella in for tonight and the game tomorrow

I got the PD due to it having the Leffe range on it....but im steadily growing into having Stella as the No. 1 keg on it......really is nice

Governor Tarkin
Just now, moz said:

I will finishing a Jupiler and putting a Stella in for tonight and the game tomorrow

I got the PD due to it having the Leffe range on it....but im steadily growing into having Stella as the No. 1 keg on it......really is nice

Cheers, I'm ready to pull the trigger on buying one now.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

PD, keg of Stella, and one each from the Leffe range arriving tomorrow on express delivery.  :jj:

:locke:

Leffe Blonde is wonderful....seems a bit marmite with the group but I love it

Whack a keg in the freezer for 2-3 hours when it arrives......should be down to temp by then - if you stick a keg straight in will take an hour to chill by one degree....so overnight really is best

I keep a fridge in the garage filled with a couple of kegs so a straight swap..!

If you haven't already, join the FB group......im not a big FB user but the group has discount codes [15%] and first dibs on specials etc that BH come out with

Enjoy - you will soon be a fat , skint alcoholic like the rest of us... :fonzie:

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, moz said:

:locke:

Leffe Blonde is wonderful....seems a bit marmite with the group but I love it

Whack a keg in the freezer for 2-3 hours when it arrives......should be down to temp by then - if you stick a keg straight in will take an hour to chill by one degree....so overnight really is best

I keep a fridge in the garage filled with a couple of kegs so a straight swap..!

If you haven't already, join the FB group......im not a big FB user but the group has discount codes [15%] and first dibs on specials etc that BH come out with

Enjoy - you will soon be a fat , skint alcoholic like the rest of us... :fonzie:

Love Leffe Blonde.

I've got a fridge full of torps and a freezer out in the garden room for all things booze related, so will chuck a couple of kegs in there.

I'm already a fat, skint, alcoholic. :fonzie:

27 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

PD, keg of Stella, and one each from the Leffe range arriving tomorrow on express delivery.  :jj:

Don't panic if the machine and kegs turn up in separate deliveries. Quite common.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Don't panic if the machine and kegs turn up in separate deliveries. Quite common.

Cheers, Soop. 👍

My Sub and Torps bundles came on seprate deliveries too iirc.

I’m currently on Club Tropicana on the PD and it’s outstanding.Not my usual kind of tipple but I’m loving it.

Also have a Blade with Moretti 👍

I ended up with a spare Heineken Blade (long story 😔) brand new still in the box but with no Dome,the dome can be purchased from Beerwulf or you get them on eBay.Anyone fancy a Blade?

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, stevie said:

I’m currently on Club Tropicana on the PD and it’s outstanding.Not my usual kind of tipple but I’m loving it.

Also have a Blade with Moretti 👍

I ended up with a spare Heineken Blade (long story 😔) brand new still in the box but with no Dome,the dome can be purchased from Beerwulf or you get them on eBay.Anyone fancy a Blade?

Much?

9 hours ago, moz said:

Stella on the PD is nice. I like Stella, but can be hit and miss really, even on pints in a pub. I wonder if the PD kegs are brewed here or over there? I've been told the Stella in Belgium is much nicer than the shite we get. Same with a lot of beers these days sadly.

I tried Leffe Blonde at my mates on Christmas Eve and loved it. I'd only had it in bottles before. But when I got my keg last week, I didn't enjoy it quite as much sadly. Didn't seem as smooth when I had it at mine.

Dean Winchester
40 minutes ago, Locky said:

Stella on the PD is nice. I like Stella, but can be hit and miss really, even on pints in a pub. I wonder if the PD kegs are brewed here or over there? I've been told the Stella in Belgium is much nicer than the shite we get. Same with a lot of beers these days sadly.

I tried Leffe Blonde at my mates on Christmas Eve and loved it. I'd only had it in bottles before. But when I got my keg last week, I didn't enjoy it quite as much sadly. Didn't seem as smooth when I had it at mine.

The PD Stella is the 5% Belgium stuff brewed over there. Not the 4.6 stuff brewed in the UK.