Euro nations cup

John Findlay

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Winning the group puts us in Group A with the top teams for next Nations League.

AND gives us a chance to qualify for the World Cup through play offs. Think there are only 2 places but it's a chance. 

Cheers. 

So if we "get promoted" what do we need to do? Win that group? 

Is playing harder teams not worse, we'll get beat more and then drop down the rankings? 

Cheers for info, but I'm still not better off how the pieces all fit together and work alongside with the qualifying. 

I might pay more attention now that we have a chance of doing something. 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• Mikey1874

• Gizmo

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Considine was actually very good tonight. He is a very limited football player but he's done his defensive job well and he's done well for Scotland. Incredibly I'd have him over Mckenna who is one of the most overrated donkeys I've ever seen. Maguire would be proud of him.

Still undecided bu the Man U lad at the back...he played well tonight overall......had his moments though.

Considine has played well enough in the last two games to demonstrate he should probably have been capped a while back, given how desperate we have been for CBs. Yeah, he might be limited, but he can defend like a defender who has been defending for an SPL team for 15 years. Sometimes that’s just what you need. Shirt is his for the time being. And I agree he has been a damn sight better than McKenna.

Fraser and McGinn the picks for me tonight though.

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Do we qualify for anything of we top the group?

I'm still unsure on teams actually qualify. 

We secure a play off spot for world Cup 2022 in the same way we have one for the euro2020.  Back door way in if ya don't get through via the main group, yet to be drawn. 

That Israel game was supposed to be in March. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Winning the group puts us in Group A with the top teams for next Nations League.

AND gives us a chance to qualify for the World Cup through play offs. Think there are only 2 places but it's a chance. 

In theory an easier shot at qualifying due to ranking and the fact that most if not all Group A teams will naturally qualify so we can play a contingency play off against a B group nation.

Or something like that...

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

We secure a play off spot for world Cup 2022 in the same way we have one for the euro2020.  Back door way in if ya don't get through via the main group, yet to be drawn. 

That Israel game was supposed to be in March. 

Ahh, so higher groups only get that. 

Good stuff, quite important then. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scotland win again.  :wow: 

They've been watching the Hearts! 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Cheers. 

So if we "get promoted" what do we need to do? Win that group? 

Is playing harder teams not worse, we'll get beat more and then drop down the rankings? 

Cheers for info, but I'm still not better off how the pieces all fit together and work alongside with the qualifying. 

I might pay more attention now that we have a chance of doing something. 

If you play in the top group then you have a chance of winning the actual tournament. You also get to play against a better class of opposition and will draw bigger crowds (assuming we are allowed crowds again).

As was mentioned earlier, we might get a second bite at World Cup qualifying if we win this group. The winners of each section go through, and then the 10 runners-up enter a playoff system along with the 2 teams with the best Nations League record who didn’t make the top two in their qualifying group. Currently we lead our group by 4 points, so if we do well in our last two games we could grab one of those spots.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ahh, so higher groups only get that. 

Good stuff, quite important then. 

Think winner of each group gets a chance at play off cause we won the one before.   Getting confused myself 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Doc Rob said:

If you play in the top group then you have a chance of winning the actual tournament. You also get to play against a better class of opposition and will draw bigger crowds (assuming we are allowed crowds again).

As was mentioned earlier, we might get a second bite at World Cup qualifying if we win this group. The winners of each section go through, and then the 10 runners-up enter a playoff system along with the 2 teams with the best Nations League record who didn’t make the top two in their qualifying group. Currently we lead our group by 4 points, so if we do well in our last two games we could grab one of those spots.

Cheers to all. 

Cheers, It makes a little more sense. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Think winner of each group gets a chance at play off cause we won the one before.   Getting confused myself 

Think doc said that. 

It's still a mouthful, but makes a little sense. 

Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

So could we draw England on the next nations league campaign? 

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scotland win again.  :wow: 

We all just need to bite the bullet, forget he played for Hibs and recognise John McGinn is ****ing brilliant.   

2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Yes

Iceland are confirmed relegated from England's group. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Last Laff said:

We all just need to bite the bullet, forget he played for Hibs and recognise John McGinn is ****ing brilliant.   

Tbf I've always supported whoever was playing for Scotland regardless of club. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Dunno why that is biting the bullet, he plays for Aston villa. 

He's decent, no Scottish player is ****ing brilliant Tbh imo. 

Robertson is the closest we have to it tho, actually he might be ****ing brilliant. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 minute ago, Smoked-Glass said:

I've tried too.  McGinn is superb though.  The ultimate wee Scottish laddie making it great.  Him and Fraser bossed a very good side with very good technical players tonight. We actually look like a very good team and Clarke has a plan :lol: 

Was Oliver Burke not pretty good? 

Thumb used to be good when he's not shop lifting 😂.   Free kicks are world class but. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

He's decent, not Scottish player is ****ing brilliant Tbh imo. 

Robertson is the closest we have to it tho, actually he might be ****ing brilliant. 

Robertson has the Liverpool disease. Looks fantastic for them, disappointing for Scotland. Those who recall the 80s will find this familiar.

Ryan Fraser looked a class above today, and links up very well with Dykes in a Clark & Robbo sort of a way. McGinn also had a great game. He never gives up - chases down every lost cause, and when he doesn’t have the ball he is a constant harassment to the opposition. Won a lot of balls he really shouldn’t have tonight and pulled off a wee nutmeg on the byline towards the end.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

He's decent, not Scottish player is ****ing brilliant Tbh imo. 

McGinn is brilliant for Scotland.  Especially tonight against a very good technical football nation.  Robertson hasn't shown that level that McGinn or Fraser have shown yet in a Scotland jersey. 

P.S ****ing brilliant is winning against teams like Slovakia and Czech, Isreal.  Nobody is expecting us to turn up and win against Italy or Portugal. our level its brilliant, instead of under performing as weve seen the past 20 years.  No idea why you cant just be happy. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

McGinn is brilliant for Scotland.  Especially tonight against a very good technical football nation.  Robertson hasn't shown that level that McGinn or Fraser have shown yet in a Scotland jersey. 

P.S ****ing brilliant is winning against teams like Slovakia and Czech, Isreal.  Nobody is expecting us to turn up and win against Italy or Portugal. our level its brilliant, instead of under performing as weve seen the past 20 years.  No idea why you cant just be happy. 

We actually have a decent, balanced midfield. 

Will cause problems for anyone. 

I am happy, what makes you think I'm not?

We carried a bit of luck tonight - Dykes should certainly have been off for doing what Sproule did to Miko (and that other Hibs ***** did to Clare at Easter Road), and the Czechs missed really good chances. They were a considerably better team than the other two in the group. But Clarke and the players deserve a lot of credit for the recent results, and again the organisation and work ethic couldn’t be faulted.

I’m beginning to think this team has a special performance in it and will tonk Serbia in the final.

🤔

WoolfordsHearts
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

m81y7o1tl2siihtapwgk.jpg

32 minutes ago, leginten said:

We carried a bit of luck tonight - Dykes should certainly have been off for doing what Sproule did to Miko (and that other Hibs ***** did to Clare at Easter Road), and the Czechs missed really good chances. They were a considerably better team than the other two in the group. But Clarke and the players deserve a lot of credit for the recent results, and again the organisation and work ethic couldn’t be faulted.

I’m beginning to think this team has a special performance in it and will tonk Serbia in the final.

🤔

Czechs did have a few chances but so did Scotland. On another night Fraser could have had a hat trick. Olly McBurnie was unlucky in hitting the bar.

They were a decent side so a great result and builds confidence for the big one next month.

Scotland seem to have a real team spirit about them now.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Another gaffe by Marciano tonight, really need to target him in the semi. 

Am I missing something? :lol:

StirlingJambo
6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Absolutely. The defence worries me though as to our effectiveness of doing it but fair play to then they've been keeping clean sheets albeit very much riding their luck tonight!!

It does look shaky at times, hopefully Tiereny and another centre back will help it out. Only good for the confidence these wins though I pray we can get a result against Serbia. Am I right in saying if we manage to get a result against Serbia we go into same group as England for euro 21? 

6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

A professional footballer who carried out a vicious assault on a man with a baseball bat at a Blantyre hotel was yesterday (Wednesday) jailed for three years.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/footballer-declan-gallagher-jailed-baseball-5907684

Harry Maguire , hasn't got a look in. 

Is baseball big in Blantyre?  Never been there.

6 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Granted, but Hanlon?  That is going too far.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Is baseball big in Blantyre?  Never been there.

I always thought the most famous person to come from Blantyre was David Livingstone 

The Old Tolbooth
8 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

If we beat Serbia in the final, then we find ourselves in England’s group at the Euros and a game at Wembley. 

8 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

We were let off.. Open goal missed tonight. 

And in the interest of balance, should Scotland have put away another goal or two?

The Czech’s should’ve scored one, but we should’ve had some more. Hopefully there is more goals in this team once a few others return. 

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

If we beat Serbia in the final, then we find ourselves in England’s group at the Euros and a game at Wembley. 

I mean the next nations league group 

9 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

You not see their miss?  You get a life

Here’s the thing. Why did they miss that chance? Because they were frustrated, chasing the game, and snatched at it. There was no composure there. If they had been playing the Scotland of a year or two ago, the resistance would have been token, their players would have been strolling it, and it would have been a goal.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Homme said:

Am I missing something? :lol:

Ffs, can’t share the video I took off the tv and who knows what that link is all about. When I find it I will share it with you. 

32F0D9B3-1215-4CAA-AA59-054484F97EB6.jpeg

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Another gaffe by Marciano tonight, really need to target him in the semi. 

Hopefully building up to a Hampden performance of Zibiesque magnificence.

30 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Here’s the thing. Why did they miss that chance? Because they were frustrated, chasing the game, and snatched at it. There was no composure there. If they had been playing the Scotland of a year or two ago, the resistance would have been token, their players would have been strolling it, and it would have been a goal.

Ta

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, leginten said:

Hopefully building up to a Hampden performance of Zibiesque magnificence.

We really need to pressurise him in every way possible, he’s liable to make mistakes on passbacks/crosses/shots. The Slovakian goal last night was extremely similar to Hartleys free kick in 2006. 

Riddley Walker
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I actually thought we were in pot 3 already for World Cup draw. I was hoping this month and 3 wins next month could take us closer to pot 2.

The Old Tolbooth
On 15/10/2020 at 11:41, Mikey1874 said:

Scotland will be the group A team that everyone wants to play, assuming we don't blow it in Israel and Slovakia (every chance) 

Allowayjambo1874

It’s been a great tournament for Scotland as every single match now is competitive and means something. Previously these weeks would have been filled with friendly’s so multiple call offs, players playing at half pace and more often than not defeats which led to disjointed squads used to losing and being pushed down the rankings. 

Ironically if (and it’s still an if) we can get into league A it’s utopia for blazers as we will be in with the big boys which should bring in big crowds (surely by then) and big cash. As an earlier poster said it’s almost guaranteed a play off spot as nearly all pot A countries qualify via normal League process. 

Hope to God we don’t Hibs it from here. 

4 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Scotland will be the group A team that everyone wants to play, assuming we don't blow it in Israel and Slovakia (every chance) 

Something something Georgia 2007.

One of the most :vrface: worthy results of all time.