Friendlies v non-testing teams

WDJ87

EEN reporting we have been given permission to arrange official friendlies v non-testing teams in the lower league's. My initial thoughts are why would we want to do this, surely we would be risking players health? How many lower league clubs are back training and why are they not testing (meaning full time clubs) considering the James Anderson money was for this specific purpose.

Edited by WDJ87

Makes you wonder what they have actually done with the money for testing.

i have a growing feeling that the lower leagues won’t start. We might even be lucky to see the Championship start.

jamboinglasgow

I thought the plan was that friendlies could happen from today for all teams without testing, it was the reason Hearts were struggling to get opponents. 

The way this article (and the Sun) go in on "Hearts now allowed to play non-tested teams" make it sound that we are being given an exception rather than everyone getting to play.

20 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

The local amateur teams in England are playing matches without having to test. 

Junior teams up here have also started playing friendlies

Here’s the article. interesting decision re non testing in the championship but what are the rules and consequences if a player or players catches covid? Does it mean postponements are likelier?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-get-permission-play-against-teams-not-testing-coronavirus-2970343

MarkDevriesScores4

Don’t really see what value we would get from playing league 1/2 teams, especially any further west of Airdrie where Covid is on the increase and there are localised lockdowns. I don’t think unnecessary matches against poor opposition is going to benefit the squad at all.

35 minutes ago, Deevers said:

i have a growing feeling that the lower leagues won’t start. We might even be lucky to see the Championship start.

You and me both.

We’ll be thrown under a bus at the first opportunity.

Just like when our training was halted, the sole priority is protecting the Premiership.

Just now, The Roller said:

You and me both.

We’ll be thrown under a bus at the first opportunity.

Just like when our training was halted, the sole priority is protecting the Premiership.

This is true. All that ultimately matters is getting enough done to protect the tv deal

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

EEN reporting we have been given permission to arrange official friendlies v non-testing teams in the lower league's. My initial thoughts are why would we want to do this, surely we would be risking players health? How many lower league clubs are back training and why are they not testing (meaning full time clubs) considering the James Anderson money was for this specific purpose.

But but but the apologists told us it was a fact that this wasn’t possible 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈?

So games against those who chose not to demote us?

Edited by Pasquale for King

Another shambles. For me, another step towards the lower leagues including the championship being mothballed. I think we will play the betfred as it’s televised and that’ll be that. Teams will post positive results and they’ll be forced to do what St Mirren done and play minus the infected players to get the games done. The carnage that will cause will make the lower league chairmen panic and the league will be mothballed. 

17 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Don’t really see what value we would get from playing league 1/2 teams, especially any further west of Airdrie where Covid is on the increase and there are localised lockdowns. I don’t think unnecessary matches against poor opposition is going to benefit the squad at all.

You don't see the value in playing teams who will likely camp out in their own half meaning we get practice at trying to break these types of teams down?

It doesn’t sound great on the face of it but there is nobody else to play and we can’t go into a season after 7 months off without playing a good number of pre season games. I don’t understand why all professional teams aren’t testing though. 

I also have a slight fear about whether the  championship season will happen. And if it does start how quickly teams might vote to cancel it. 

7 minutes ago, andydog said:

It doesn’t sound great on the face of it but there is nobody else to play and we can’t go into a season after 7 months off without playing a good number of pre season games. I don’t understand why all professional teams aren’t testing though. 

I also have a slight fear about whether the  championship season will happen. And if it does start how quickly teams might vote to cancel it. 

I would hope Hearts continue their testing to lower the risk of us having to isolate due to a substantial outbreak. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I would hope Hearts continue their testing to lower the risk of us having to isolate due to a substantial outbreak. 

I'm pretty certain that once the competitive games start that the clubs in lower leagues need to test. Hearts will continue to test twice a week like they do just now

31 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Any normal pre-season would involve a number of games against teams of different levels. This pre-season will be no different in that respect

3 minutes ago, bazman said:

I'm pretty certain that once the competitive games start that the clubs in lower leagues need to test. Hearts will continue to test twice a week like they do just now

Ah, hopefully true. 👍

MarkDevriesScores4
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Any normal pre-season would involve a number of games against teams of different levels. This pre-season will be no different in that respect

It’s is different through. There’s a pandemic 

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Indeed, enjoyed several pre season trips to Berwick and similar. 

They seem to be using GPS to assess whether contact poses a danger. That's how the 3rd St Mirren goalie was barred.

The view re football is there isn't enough close contact during games to be a risk. 

The risks are travel to games and in the dressing room (and the pub). 

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They seem to be using GPS to assess whether contact poses a danger. That's how the 3rd St Mirren goalie was barred.

The view re football is there isn't enough close contact during games to be a risk. 

Sounds about right.

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Correct and the test and trace will only contact if you have been in prolonged contact for more than 15 mins

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yep.

Outside of training, playing then players are checked for the usual 2 metre, 15 minute rule.

Calebs Grandad
1 hour ago, WDJ87 said:

Playing any game against a side that cannot guarantee it’s players are Covid free would be madness. We have the semi final in 6 or 7 weeks time and it’s sure as hell that we would get no sympathy from the clowns who run the game if we lost players to this virus. I can’t see us agreeing to play any untested sides as it would be as daft as lending a player to another team who tried to put us out of business 🙈

2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

We don't have to test, so the simple solution is not to test, then no one can test positive. Easy.

Trumpian in its genius. 👍

So who do we play against if we don’t go ahead with this? Nothing at the moment is risk free. If I could choose to be anything right now, I’d be a young athlete taking a minute risk. 

19 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

So who do we play against if we don’t go ahead with this? Nothing at the moment is risk free. If I could choose to be anything right now, I’d be a young athlete taking a minute risk. 

Any team testing will likely be playing league fixtures. Maybe the larger championship teams will do testing?

I 'think' the key is the 15 minute, 2 metre rule, the same as anyone else so that players don't need to end up in self isolation for 14 days.

We have a big enough squad to cope if our protocols are water tight and the players are outside of Hearts.

Edit - it's too late now but games shouldn't really be postponed and in turn results awarded.  If you don't have a big enough squad because of players non compliance, tough.

Edited by DETTY29

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Playing any game against a side that cannot guarantee it’s players are Covid free would be madness. We have the semi final in 6 or 7 weeks time and it’s sure as hell that we would get no sympathy from the clowns who run the game if we lost players to this virus. I can’t see us agreeing to play any untested sides as it would be as daft as lending a player to another team who tried to put us out of business 🙈

Maybe we could get a loan of players off St Mirren if we need to 😱🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈😜?!?!

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

We can play English teams, we were down in Burnley recently. It’s not perfect but there’s only another three weeks until we start so maybe 4-5 games need to be organised? 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We can play English teams, we were down in Burnley recently. It’s not perfect but there’s only another three weeks until we start so maybe 4-5 games need to be organised? 

All the English teams have started their seasons now haven't they?

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, WDJ87 said:

All the English teams have started their seasons now haven't they?

Yes but they could still want friendlies for squad players as they haven’t managed to get many games. St Mirren did this didn’t they? 

2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

Junior teams up here have also started playing friendlies

As have teams in the LL and EOSL.  Farcical really, but in reality it was always going to be impossible with part-time player.

It is clear that the JRG are just making it up as they go. They really haven't got a clue imo. Absolute farce and only going to get worse. Troubling times ahead

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes but they could still want friendlies for squad players as they haven’t managed to get many games. St Mirren did this didn’t they? 

International break when we played them.

Absolute Scenes
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nonsense

1) English teams have started their season, why would they halt progress on that to play us, a Scottish team, in our terms?

2) I would avoid England like the plague just now, it’s an utter disaster down there with Covid

3) the planning needed for 2/3 trips down to English in 3 weeks time, better to play teams on our own turf. Playing lower league fodder will allow us to practise pumping the daylights out of Hibs in the Semi 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

As I said on another thread, I believe we are playing The Spartans sometime this week at Ainslie Park. 

All 300 of them 😂😆😌😔🙄 

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Carabo Cup this week, then midweek league games.