Scotland v Czech Republic off then On. ( updated )

tartofmidlothian

18 minutes ago, Gone said:

so fecked if Serbia beat Norway

With Serbia, I think there’s a chance to keep it below 6

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• Hearts007

• Tazio

• Rick Sanchez

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As soon as I realised Scotland would be playing what was effectively a scratch Czech team with all of their regulars missing, I thought this was a fixture designed to produce a humiliation. Even a good Scotland side tends to fold when they are expected to win. So I guess it could have been worse.

17 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Who cares. We won. Away from. Home. 1st time since the late 70's in the czr Top of the league. What do you want? 

Love your optimism 😂😂

Clarke is Levein reincarnate. Negative defence minded setup, with his idea of attacking football being based on slow, sideways passing to beef up the possession stats. These players are underperforming and the buck stops with the manager. 

A truly chronic 180 mins vs very poor opposition.

22 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Winning a game and going top of our group is embarrassing?

Ok then.

against a makeshift Czech 11 thrown together 2 days ago. We've an EPL winner as captain with a squad of boys playing at the highest level...you would never think it when watching them for 90mins though 🤷‍♂️ to sum up in a guid auld scottish phrase....we are PISH!!!

Edited by hmfcbilly
unfinished

That's what happens when you stick 11 individuals together with 5 minutes notice. I mean Scotland of course.

We're just not a team, it's the same old same old, you can blame individuals all you like but the actual team ethic is non existent, there's no camaraderie. We've a team full of egos looking out for themselves.

Clarke won't be able to change it, nobody will.

31 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Ok then.

Scotland were very lucky tonight. David Marshall, the post and a missed sitter saved our bacon. I thought the penalty award was very soft.

The Czech players were far more intelligent footballers than anyone in a Scotland strip.

8 hours ago, tian447 said:

It is lose lose for Scotland tonight. 

Win, and it's no achievement beating a Czech second string put together with about 48 hours notice. 

Lose and it's one of the most disgraceful results 

Was nice to see Paterson get some time on the pitch.....  But centre forward for Scotland.....? Come on....!

Edited by Section Q

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

That's what happens when you stick 11 individuals together with 5 minutes notice. I mean Scotland of course.

We're just not a team, it's the same old same old, you can blame individuals all you like but the actual team ethic is non existent, there's no camaraderie. We've a team full of egos looking out for themselves.

Clarke won't be able to change it, nobody will.

This seems to have been the case for a while. Players seem not to want to be there. That's all down to the manager. We need a Jack Charlton figure to create a close-knit tight group club (when no-one can get away with picking and choosing when to play) and molds them into a unit. Michael O'Neill did something similar at NI. 93 year old Aaron Hughes for example can be on our bench but first pick for NI.

2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Was nice to see Paterson get some time on the pitch.....  But centre forward for Scotland.....? Come on....!

There's nobody else really to play up there sadly.

No Griffiths, Naismith or McBurnie in the squad.

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, Rory Mcilroy said:

Clarke is Levein reincarnate. Negative defence minded setup, with his idea of attacking football being based on slow, sideways passing to beef up the possession stats. These players are underperforming and the buck stops with the manager. 

A truly chronic 180 mins vs very poor opposition.

But without the tactical nous and man management skills. I'm not even joking.

3 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Made a good break and came close to scoring. The report I read said he should have hit the target, but the keeper was well placed and would have gathered if he had hit it any closer to him.

40 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Who cares. We won. Away from. Home. 1st time since the late 70's in the czr Top of the league. What do you want? 

Haters are gonna hate! Well done Scotland. We can/wll play better !

40 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Ok then.

Yep. Utter shambles. We might scrape past Israel in the play off semi but just imagine what Haaland will do to that set up. 

That was probably 3rd or 4th choice Czech players in each position who didn't know they were playing until Friday night. So yep I would call it embarrassing. 

There are far worse centre-forwards than Paterson out there.

And, considering he’s not one, good stuff from CP.

Ales Mandous the Czech keeper done really well apart from having to try save a penalty and stop the 1st goal .  He looked comfortable on the ball, done some sweeper keeper duties, nice passes.  Not played at a high level for prolonged periods, got the odd game for Zilina of Slovakia, a club that won the league whilst he was there, but never played much to contribute to it.

Shame he's contracted for another 3 years, else I would say sign him! :) 

25 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Imagine Norway being let loose on our arses.  🤪

A really unfortunate choice of smiley. 

:oohmatron:

Holyrood_Hearts

Genuinely amazed at anyone who’s watched that & can be positive. We were an embarrassment. Aside from Marshall, Cooper, Christie & Dykes, the rest (plus Clarke) can take no credit. We were lucky to win against a team that was put together over the weekend. 

SC is the only one in the country who thinks the back 3 works. McTominay isn’t a CB, McKenna & McLean aren’t this level. Palmer did well settling up the goal but was constantly out of position defensively. 

1 minute ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Genuinely amazed at anyone who’s watched that & can be positive. We were an embarrassment. Aside from Marshall, Cooper, Christie & Dykes, the rest (plus Clarke) can take no credit. We were lucky to win against a team that was put together over the weekend. 

SC is the only one in the country who thinks the back 3 works. McTominay isn’t a CB, McKenna & McLean aren’t this level. Palmer did well settling up the goal but was constantly out of position defensively. 

Nah your meant to be all positive hanging on for a win against a team that hadn't even met before. 

Pretty dire stuff but we've played well in the past and lost games.

The record books and, more importantly to me, Paddy Power will call it a Scotland win. 

Once the English based players are back their holidays and shift a few pounds (or stones in CP's case 😁)  I can see us pumping Israel. Norway or Serbia probably a step too far but we've got good players 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Smack said:

Pretty dire stuff but we've played well in the past and lost games.

The record books and, more importantly to me, Paddy Power will call it a Scotland win. 

Once the English based players are back their holidays and shift a few pounds (or stones in CP's case 😁)  I can see us pumping Israel. Norway or Serbia probably a step too far but we've got good players 🤷🏻‍♂️

We have good central midfielders and left sided defenders. Apart from that not so much. 

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

We have good central midfielders and left sided defenders. Apart from that not so much. 

Makes me wonder, the likes of Serbia or Norway must have a Scott McKenna figure who gives them the absolute fear. I just can't figure out which one it is usually. 

Holyrood_Hearts
9 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Nah your meant to be all positive hanging on for a win against a team that hadn't even met before. 

We are unbeaten in 5 according to our Capt (another issue imo)

Holyrood_Hearts
2 minutes ago, Smack said:

Makes me wonder, the likes of Serbia or Norway must have a Scott McKenna figure who gives them the absolute fear. I just can't figure out which one it is usually. 

They probably do but don’t make the starting 11

1 minute ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

We are unbeaten in 5 according to our Capt (another issue imo)

That is a fact of course but to deny we have been brutal in the last two games is just delusional. 

3 minutes ago, Smack said:

Probably need a Covid outbreak in their squads to find someone that bad further down the pecking order. 

Holyrood_Hearts
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

That is a fact of course but to deny we have been brutal in the last two games is just delusional. 

I know. I actually think tonight was worse than Friday given the circumstances. You can not perform on Fri & learn from it, but to do it again tonight away from home is criminal. 

3 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

I know. I actually think tonight was worse than Friday given the circumstances. You can not perform on Fri & learn from it, but to do it again tonight away from home is criminal. 

Against a scratch 11.

Holyrood_Hearts
8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Against a scratch 11.

They only had 9 debuts & 1 guy playing his first international in 4 years. They should be delighted with their performance 

:yas:Fecking Easy!!! 5 games unbeaten and top of the league and we will be a lot sharper by the next games. 

C'mon Scotland!!! 

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I never watched it. Went out for a meal instead. Glad I did by the sound of it. Deary me. 

Highlights not on BBCi player, yet.  should e later. 15 mins of action & 15 of going over the dross. Worth watching to see the chances missed by the Czechs.

I recorded and have just watched the game only.

I feel like a Celtic supporter now, getting all these soft penalties.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Surely only a Celtic supporter would know how low it is following that shower of mutants.

I actually hate them more than Hibs and thats a lot of hate.

Call me old fashioned but might get somewhere if we played players in their correct position. We’re short of fit strikers at the mo but have options in all other positions. Would love to see Mctominay and McGinn play in midfield 

Ainsley Harriott

Nothing fills you with scottish pride more than watching an English defender crossing the ball to the Australian striker to bang in an equaliser.

Maroonblood22

The buck stops with Clarke on this one. We have some very good players at our disposal right now and for them to perform like this in the last two games is criminal. There's no cohesion, no commitment or desire, we quite simply do not look like a team - more like a bunch of players who have been cobbled together for the first time (ironic considering last night's opposition).

With so many players out of position and a frightening lack of creativity, that lies solely with Clarke. An utterly dreadful couple of games with no signs of hope for the future!

And McKenna is absolute dogshit by the way!

The system didn't work on Friday and as Levein said on Sportsound, completely alien to certainly Clarke's Killie.  Back 4 and press from 20 yards inside own half.

Has he changed to initially fit in Tierney and Robertson or with no Naismith or Griffiths accommodating a big number 9 in Dykes or McBurnie? 

I thought last night was a bit of a waste.  Maybe didn't want to play his hand too early but should have reverted to back 4 and mixed or matched during game.  I.e start McKenna and Cooper then utilise McTominay or Tierney in there later on to see if either combination works.  McTominay could have started in midfield.  I think that is the real experiment in that our CHs are awful and is McTominay a better option.

This is a strange Nations League.  Opportunity to back door quality for WC is very slim so you could use to experiment but what is impact on rankings for future qualifying campaigns notably Euros.

Edited by DETTY29

Hagar the Horrible

Armstrong, McLean, McKenna and Fleck,  horsemeat, McTomminay out of possition,  Dykes played well, Keeper world class

They keep talking about systems and being fluid with it,  FFS only Palmer had a first touch, and Robertson is the only player who could pass a ball.  In Belgium they teach only one system a 4-4-2 from about 12, and all the clubs stick to it.

The Czechs had only met for the first time a few hours before the game, and looked like a good club side, and that is as much of a complement as you can give, they were better than us, 2 more games, or a week more training and we would have been done over.

Play players in their natural positionj, last night at least Clark only played Robertson,  play 1 left back, not three all over the place. 

our athletes are not players, and our players are not athletes, the Czechs looked fitter and most would walk into any spfl side, that was their third string

A_A wehatethehibs

With Souttar effectively as good as retired, McKenna looking more and more a clogger who’ll never make it at any club south of Dundee, the Center back situation is alarming now. Christophe Berra might even start to have delusions of getting another cap, things are that bad