• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Francis Albert

• Bazzas right boot

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That is the target for the criticism on here Dave.

I thought it was a more general targeting if the stand. Anyway, I personally like the facade. 

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Sponsorship all the way for me mate if possible. You never know, with a bit extra cash we might even be able to finish it!

I think we can forget that one, naming rights aren't worth that much to start with and we're away to career into a recession where no one's got any money.

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

My thoughts entirely - some seem to have delusions of grandeur with regards to the design with no thought of cost and the ridiculously tight programme to install the glass facade.

No delusions of grandeur, it was tongue in cheek about reglazing the lot. 

Thosd grey 70s glazing panels though... Ugh... 

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Surely the most sensible solution would be to wrap the facade in the same way as the windows of the clubstore

How do you mean “wrap the facade”?? 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I thought it was a more general targeting if the stand. Anyway, I personally like the facade. 

“70 office block” 

5 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

No delusions of grandeur, it was tongue in cheek about reglazing the lot. 

Thosd grey 70s glazing panels though... Ugh... 

The grey panels could be easily replaced but I think there are more pressing areas of spend.

Big Slim Stylee
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I think we can forget that one, naming rights aren't worth that much to start with and we're away to career into a recession where no one's got any money.

I’d agree, tbh. May well be worth holding out on any kind of naming and see how the land lies in a couple of years.

David McCaig
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That only really works well on large panes of glass - like the Club shop but not the glass facade.

Surely the glass facade is made up of lots of large panes of glass?

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

There are too many breaks with the caps between the glass for a wrap to really work in my opinion! It needs to be one big unbroken bit of glass to be really effective 

4 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Not as large as the shop windows - check out a photo of the facade.

2 hours ago, campbell said:

There are too many breaks with the caps between the glass for a wrap to really work in my opinion! It needs to be one big unbroken bit of glass to be really effective 

This!

On 14/08/2020 at 13:31, Manny1874 said:

I think the second floor is still vacant, and work needs to be done to fit it out. They changed their initial design realising how much room they were going to have. Ann said at the last AGM (I think I remember correctly) that they have a plan for what they want to do with it now, but needed the funding in place before moving ahead. 

There was talk from Ann that the office space planed for the main stand would remain under the Wheatfield and that size and shape of the second floor would make it unique space in Edinburgh for conferencing. 

I think I read a post before the summer that the plans for the 2nd floor 'have been signed off' but I'm not sure what that means and what the plans are! Anyone know??

Good things come to those who wait.... but I wish they would finish the work off.  

I guess the way to sum this thread up is to say some folks will never be satisfied, which is fair enough but perhaps there are other priorities where money can be directed. Patience required just now.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

There was talk from Ann that the office space planed for the main stand would remain under the Wheatfield and that size and shape of the second floor would make it unique space in Edinburgh for conferencing. 

I think I read a post before the summer that the plans for the 2nd floor 'have been signed off' but I'm not sure what that means and what the plans are! Anyone know??

Good things come to those who wait.... but I wish they would finish the work off.  

The office is indeed now under the Wheatfield stand. I think the 2nd floor is on hold until funding for it is secure. The club already have enough space at the moment for hospitality so no rush to do the 2nd floor. I can imagine after demotion and Covid it may be a year or two till anything is done with it.

One thing I would like to see created as part of longer term planning which Ann talked about in her recent statement is a plan for Tynecastle for the next 10-20 years. So if the money was there and if demand required it, what would they look to do to Tynecastle, possible expansion? New facilities? etc

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The office is indeed now under the Wheatfield stand. I think the 2nd floor is on hold until funding for it is secure. The club already have enough space at the moment for hospitality so no rush to do the 2nd floor. I can imagine after demotion and Covid it may be a year or two till anything is done with it.

One thing I would like to see created as part of longer term planning which Ann talked about in her recent statement is a plan for Tynecastle for the next 10-20 years. So if the money was there and if demand required it, what would they look to do to Tynecastle, possible expansion? New facilities? etc

I’d hope we are making sure we are kept abreast of any plans to sell land at both the distillery and the old high school. I’d like us to have the cash at hand to buy either/both If they become available. 

20 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I’d hope we are making sure we are kept abreast of any plans to sell land at both the distillery and the old high school. I’d like us to have the cash at hand to buy either/both If they become available. 

I heard today that we've done a deal to buy the old school.  Heard third hand though so not sure reliable the information is.

22 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

How much cash at hand do you think will be needed? A few million I reckon. 

1 minute ago, Disco Dave said:

I heard today that we've done a deal to buy the old school.  Heard third hand though so not sure reliable the information is.

An absolute must imo.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

How much cash at hand do you think will be needed? A few million I reckon. 

I’d like it if we had fund whereby monthly contributors could be asked raise the funds and pay back someone (perhaps a benefactor) who puts the cash down for the purchase. 

Just now, Beast Boy said:

An absolute must imo.

I’d like it if we had fund whereby monthly contributors could be asked raise the funds and pay back someone (perhaps a benefactor) who puts the cash down for the purchase. 

I agree, we would probably need a benefactor to have the up front capital then pay them back. A sound investment whatever we do with it. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I agree, we would probably need a benefactor to have the up front capital then pay them back. A sound investment whatever we do with it. 

Other option would be to divert some FoH money in to a future expansion fund right now, so we are able to get the ball rolling if and when.

2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Other option would be to divert some FoH money in to a future expansion fund right now, so we are able to get the ball rolling if and when.

Probably a good idea to build a reserve once we get over the pandemic and expulsion losses. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Probably a good idea to build a reserve once we get over the pandemic and expulsion losses. 

Absolutely. It’s always been my preferred use of FoH money. Build up the infrastructure so we increase our income. Then use the increased income to sign better players.

I’d be wanting first refusal on the distillery owned community pitch and the strip of warehouses that run along it too. When it comes time to redevelop the Wheatfield, we could get a bit creative and build a stand that faces our pitch and the community pitch, and a very small stand that runs the length of the community pitch. Call it Lesser Tynecastle, and use it for reserves and women’s games, whilst increasing the attendance of Tynecastle Park and improving facilities in the new Wheatfield.

All dependant on whether or not NBD decide to up sticks and move at some point - obviously.

Edited by Beast Boy

Buying the old school has been talked about over many years, but it raises the question , it being a listed building, what could we use it for. Was it not considered to be a hotel at one point?

I was told that one of the options put forward for the second floor was to make a few hotel style rooms to compliment the skyline lounge. 

Looking back at the pictures of the stand being built, and in particular when the glass started to go in, it looked really good without the caps and whatever the grey toning is on the lower panes on the upper floors. I remember reading on here the reasons for the caps and the grey tone glass (building regs/H&S right?), but always thought they looked  out of place and added to the 70's office block look. That's not a dig at Cruickshank, I'm sure the quality of work is top notch, just not as asthetically pleasing as it was when it just looked like one giant wall of glass mid install.

Edited by Fraggle

3 minutes ago, David Black said:

Buying the old school has been talked about over many years, but it raises the question , it being a listed building, what could we use it for. Was it not considered to be a hotel at one point?

Look at the old GPO building in the City Centre. They just gutted everything that wasn’t on the street, and built a completely new building inside it. Same applies to countless listed buildings where developers integrate the original part that looks on to the street, but build whole other structures behind and attached to them. Hotel, retail park or flats would be my preference, seeing as we already have conference and hospitality in the new stand. Rental money all going to HMFC.

2 hours ago, I.T.K said:

This is where I'm a bit puzzled with the benefactors.  You might have thought they would be financing it now while no football is being played.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

This is where I'm a bit puzzled with the benefactors.  You might have thought they would be financing it now while no football is being played.

I think they are financing us to get through covid and the championship season by helping with transfer, wages etc! Also maybe they had a ceiling of how much they are willing to invest and at the moment they have hit that 

jamboinglasgow
35 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

Hopefully that is true, I would guess that if we have done that our benefactor is paid for that.

There is a poster on her (not named them as dont think they have posted on the thread before) who is clued up with the distilery and the poster made it clear that the distillery had no interest at all to sell the land, I think it was they saw it important for the distillery.

In regards to buying the school, always felt that should be the clubs/FOH's next investment. Problem is it becomes a total money drain until something is done with it (rates and Business Stream charges would astronomical I would have thought) and not sure what you can get away with a B listed building? 

50 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

You might be mixing up the words 'benefactor' and 'bottomless pit' there mate.

16 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Indeed, or mug. 😎

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

I’d be wanting first refusal on the distillery owned community pitch and the strip of warehouses that run along it too. When it comes time to redevelop the Wheatfield, we could get a bit creative and build a stand that faces our pitch and the community pitch, and a very small stand that runs the length of the community pitch. Call it Lesser Tynecastle, and use it for reserves and women’s games, whilst increasing the attendance of Tynecastle Park and improving facilities in the new Wheatfield.

All dependant on whether or not NBD decide to up sticks and move at some point - obviously.

get the capacity up to 25 k   and piss the hobos right off ,whilst be able to hold bigger matches at tyney ,  and make some money  aswell.... 

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

get the capacity up to 25 k   and piss the hobos right off ,whilst be able to hold bigger matches at tyney ,  and make some money  aswell.... 

If we did that, we'd scoop up pretty much every international against 3rd rate nations, which would be good. U21s too. 

Scotland lacks a stadium which hits middle ground, we have Hampden, Celtic Park and Ibrox, all north of 50k, then nothing, then Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs with roughly the same capacity. 

If we can sustain some growth in terms of new supports over the next couple of seasons I'd really like further expansion of Tynecastle to be considered. There is an element of if you build it they will come to be tempered with what Darlington did. I reckon we've got a ways to go before we hit our ceiling. 

I've always like the design of the Dick Donald Stand up at Pittodrie, 2 tiers. Looks impressive. Problem is we're fairly landlocked presently. If we could acquire the old School and try and figure out a way round the health and safety distillery issue I think we'd at least be able to do something with the away end. Be a good way to take advantage of the increased crowds from Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and to a large extent Aberdeen. 

Part of me wonders, if people in Edinburgh saw Hearts making a genuine play to close the gap on Celtic and Rangers if they'd back us. We're not going to change peoples clubs, but possibly tap into the Rugby market, or the more passive fans who don't go so much. A 25k in all likelihood would ensure 6 full houses plus high capacity against the Dons. Throw in an increased likelihood of European nights and better pricing around Cup games and we might begin to pull away from Aberdeen and Hibs through increased turnover. Also worth noting that sponsorship deals may improve too. 

Long term project though. Important we do it right too, not cheap. 

26 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've always like the design of the Dick Donald Stand up at Pittodrie, 2 tiers. Looks impressive. Problem is we're fairly landlocked presently. If we could acquire the old School and try and figure out a way round the health and safety distillery issue I think we'd at least be able to do something with the away end. Be a good way to take advantage of the increased crowds from Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and to a large extent Aberdeen. 

No thanks.

Leave that to Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone etc...... They are all more interested in giving the old firm an advantage in order to make a few quid.

I’d rather cut their allocation and give ourselves home advantage.

edit - Unless you mean giving them two sections at the very back of the stand.

Edited by Disco Dave

22 minutes ago, OTT said:

If we did that, we'd scoop up pretty much every international against 3rd rate nations, which would be good. U21s too. 

Scotland lacks a stadium which hits middle ground, we have Hampden, Celtic Park and Ibrox, all north of 50k, then nothing, then Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs with roughly the same capacity. 

If we can sustain some growth in terms of new supports over the next couple of seasons I'd really like further expansion of Tynecastle to be considered. There is an element of if you build it they will come to be tempered with what Darlington did. I reckon we've got a ways to go before we hit our ceiling. 

Part of me wonders, if people in Edinburgh saw Hearts making a genuine play to close the gap on Celtic and Rangers if they'd back us. We're not going to change peoples clubs, but possibly tap into the Rugby market, or the more passive fans who don't go so much. A 25k in all likelihood would ensure 6 full houses plus high capacity against the Dons. Throw in an increased likelihood of European nights and better pricing around Cup games and we might begin to pull away from Aberdeen and Hibs through increased turnover. Also worth noting that sponsorship deals may improve too. 

I remember going to games in the eighties, the official maximum attendance was around 29,000 if I remember correctly, but I always felt against the likes of Celtic Hibs and Rangers it surpassed that figure comfortably. I don't think we would have any trouble getting north of twenty five thousand Hearts fans every week if we had a successful product on the park capable of challenging for the title. It would take time, but the fields of dreams analogy works for me.

1 minute ago, Disco Dave said:

No thanks.

Leave that to Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone etc...... They are all more interested in giving the old firm an advantage in order to make a few quid.

I’d rather cut their allocation and give ourselves home advantage.

edit - Unless you mean giving them two sections at the very back of the stand.

I feel similar to you too, Its not a road I'm keen to go down (fixing ourselves to the OF away end). It could be a short term fix to a long term problem though. It could be tinkered about with to reduce the downside - e.g setting it further back so they're not as close to the pitch to protect the keeper from pies and coins. Longer term we could potentially give them a shitty wee corner if we can prove there is the demand. 

6 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

I remember going to games in the eighties, the official maximum attendance was around 29,000 if I remember correctly, but I always felt against the likes of Celtic Hibs and Rangers it surpassed that figure comfortably. I don't think we would have any trouble getting north of twenty five thousand Hearts fans every week if we had a successful product on the park capable of challenging for the title. It would take time, but the fields of dreams analogy works for me.

I'm very confident that if we had been run better historically we'd be well above 20k now. In a way, Budge almost has to try and reverse 30 years of poor management.

I wonder how many walk ups don't buy tickets because of shite seats? I remember being tucked away at the away end side of the old stand and ****ing hell that was bad. Couldn't see anything. Obviously with the new stand things have changed, but I don't doubt there are people who aren't keen on spending £20+ for a pretty poor seat. Increased capacity surely increases the volume of better seats which may be whats needed to encourage more people to get along. Theres also a novelty factor which we may be able to utilise. 

1 hour ago, Jumper said:

What about the credible rumour I started that as soon as he can get to Edinburgh, Bezos is going to chip in £1 billion? 

Forgot about that didn't you? Caught you napping.

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

What about the credible rumour I started that as soon as he can get to Edinburgh, Bezos is going to chip in £1 billion? 

Forgot about that didn't you? Caught you napping.

I got an email this morning saying I’d won a prize in the eurolottery

Only £2.30 this time but.........

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, OTT said:

We've spent nearly 18 million  on the main stand,   which only gives us a capacity  of 19k odds, because of limited viewing seats?because of the jutted out police box thing,      we were 16k and a few hundred over before the new main stand,      alot of money to spend for 3&a half thousand more capacity,  than we had before it was built ? Although it improves the grounds look id still like to see us build roseburn stand higher and better at some point, 

48 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

We've spent nearly 18 million  on the main stand,   which only gives us a capacity  of 19k odds, because of limited viewing seats?because of the jutted out police box thing,      we were 16k and a few hundred over before the new main stand,      alot of money to spend for 3&a half thousand more capacity,  than we had before it was built ? Although it improves the grounds look id still like to see us build roseburn stand higher and better at some point, 

I think the main stand was always going to be a lot more expensive due to the the facilities it has over and above what a regular stand might have. Thats not to say similar couldn't be replicated in an expanded Wheatfield though. But yeah, first things getting a new roseburn sorted out.

Just hope the distillery situation can get resolved. Be good if the government could incentivise them to move out of the city and we could purchase part of the land- if theres a health and safety issue prohibiting expansion, what about the people who live across the road, behind the Gorgie stand or the various kids in the school across the road? Seems like H&S overkill to me if those are fine but slightly more people in a ground once a fortnight on a day the place isn't in use is... madness.

WheatfieldWarrior
5 hours ago, David Black said:

"Robbo World" would be my suggestion.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, OTT said:

**** the SFA using our ground. Ever! 

kingantti1874
On 18/08/2020 at 12:02, campbell said:

that was actually the original design.. it was too expensive I think

14 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I dont want to ask to benefactors to fund the stand, although I'm grateful for what they do and have done. I would assume the financing would come via initial budget, the FoH and future income. 

I know we live in corona times and we have to deal with relegation that affects the budget, but this situation arose in the last 6 months. I would of thought 2nd floor plan would be understood and completed before now.