Robbo

LeftBack

40 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I'll refrain from asking why you and the great man were in your/his bedroom 😜   ...... 

All goalscorers rely on teammates to create chances. The more they create, the more the striker will score. The fewer they create, the fewer goals he'll score. So self-explanatory answer I think.

Didnt understand at first...

Weakened Offender

His first goal against H1b5 was one of the highlights of my teens. Loved him as a player and was as thrilled as anyone when he returned. Respected by most fans across Scotland as a great player. 

Said and done a few things since that I wish he hadn't but even legends aren't perfect. 

He's second only to a certain Czech left-footed wizard in my book. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Just watched a video of Robbo scoring his first international goal - clinical finish as always. He is often compared to his peer McCoist, who is often described as needing 4/5 chances to score. And of course he got 4/5 chances playing with wonderful players at Rangers.

Were Hearts and Robbo the perfect fit, as some players and clubs are - or could he genuinely have been a legendary Scottish striker if he was at the Old Firm - or indeed a better English club than Newcastle were?

And how would he have fared in the current game - would he have been even better with better players around him?

I love the wee man for many reasons so this is just a...what if? question

Yes he could’ve achieved more, he had everything, and could’ve played anywhere, far superior player to that smiley ***** Mcmoist. I’m not sure if he believed it though, the Newcastle experience maybe dented his belief. 
Why hasn't he wrote a book 🤷🏾‍♂️?

Edited by Pasquale for King

Rudi was as good a player as I’ve ever seen. Unbelievably good and we were a perfect fit. It’s a difficult one but Robbos length of service is unbeatable. 
both are undisputed legends

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Brilliant football player.

Hammered the Vermin.

Great bloke to chat with.

Knew how to drink a hatful of vodka and cokes.

What’s not to like about our ‘wee fat striker’?  :) 

Think he liked fish suppers too. 

One of the biggest internet scandals of all time is that if you search for "John Robertson footballer" it comes up the Nottingham Forest player. 

:seething:

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

According to him,  Hibs wanted to sign him from his boys club and offered him a contract.  He wanted time to think about it and talk to his older brother Chris who was with Rangers at the time.   Hibs chairman Tom Hart got frustrated by the delay and was offended that a young lad would need time to make up his mind -  and decided to withdraw the offer.   Seems like the concept of "Hibsing it" existed back then too !!

Pretty sure Hibs never withdrew the offer, more that they threatened to if he didn't sign immediately so he walked away and the rest as they say is history.

1 hour ago, Voxpop said:

Strikers mentioned  in order of ability

Larsson

robbo

mccoist

boyd

Let’s be honest, larsson  was an amazing striker probably best in recent times post 1980. Robbo was better than McCoist, could have played at a higher level. We had lots of good strikers then. Boyd??!

Boyd is the SPFL record goalscorer which is why I mentioned him. Abomination of a man. But still the record goalscorer. Wasnt comparing him! Robbo>Boyd<lard  

29 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Rudi was as good a player as I’ve ever seen. Unbelievably good and we were a perfect fit. It’s a difficult one but Robbos length of service is unbeatable. 
both are undisputed legends

Yes but the thing about Robbo is..I wouldnt say he was the best, but he was in our top one....

If Robbo had signed for Rangers as a youngster he probably would have beaten McCoists scoring record and may have had a shout at the international record 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Ally McCoist was a better all round footballer than he got credit for.

Robbo was a better all round footballer than McCoist.

Absolutely spot on. Both very good footballers who were lazily classified as poachers but Robbo had more to his game and got less opportunities. Scotland haven’t had strikers anywhere near their class since they hung up their boots. 

Edited by Zico

3 hours ago, LeftBack said:

good answer mate - I forgot how good he was  🤨 Now about John Colquhoun....

My word, those two in the same team, just thinking about that makes me moist.

JC was incredible, I would see him getting kicked about every week, hobbling off the pitch, then appearing again for the next game.  For a player that took so much punishment, he had incredible resilience, and rarely missed games through injury.  He also tucked his shirt in at the back but left it untucked at the front, cool as feck!

As for Robbo, his goalscoring record in itself is fantastic, but when you look at his record in 'big' games, it's even more impressive.  There have been many players who rattled in the goals against the smaller teams, but couldn't reproduce that in the big games, when the pressure was greater.  But Robbo is the top scorer by a mile in Edinburgh derbies, and is also our top scorer against both Celtic and Rangers.  He could do it on the big stage.

He had that great combination of composure, allied to a striker's instinct to read a situation and put himself in the right place at the right time.  I remember him talking about his derby scoring record and he attributed it in part to his ability to remain calm, when lots of other players would let the pressure get to them, maybe lashing out at a chance rather then taking their time.  His ability to remain calm gave him more time to make better decisions.

I can recall him scoring the only goal in a 1-0 cup tie victory over Celtic.  The ball was played inside to him, and where a lot of players might have tried to take it first time, he allowed the ball to run across him, opened his body and buried it to the left side of the keeper, where there was more space.  If he had taken it first time, he would have hit it to the right side of the goal, which the keeper had well covered and would have had a good chance of saving it.

I grew up listening to stories of Hearts legends, like the terrible trio, MacKay, Cummings and Alex Young.  However, in my lifetime supporting Hearts, Robbo will always be my legend.  Not just a fantastic player, but a great guy as well, with a huge amount of humility.  We really should have a statue of Robbo in the Foundation Plaza.

One of my other abiding memories of Robbo was the Alex MacDonald testimonial match at Tynecastle against Newcastle Utd, where Kevin Keegan appeared for Newcastle in the first half then Hearts in the second half.

Robbo and Gary MacKay always seemed to be on the same wavelength, Robbo would make runs into spaces knowing that MacKay would anticipate the run.  When Keegan joined the fray, it was as if the three of them had been playing together for years, some of the interplay between then was amazing.

It made me realise just how clever a player Keegan was, that he could instantly read the situation with players he'd never payed alongside before, but also how good Robbo and Mackay were, that they could also anticipate what Keegan was going to do.  

2 hours ago, RobNox said:

JC was incredible, I would see him getting kicked about every week, hobbling off the pitch, then appearing again for the next game.  For a player that took so much punishment, he had incredible resilience, and rarely missed games through injury.  He also tucked his shirt in at the back but left it untucked at the front, cool as feck!

As for Robbo, his goalscoring record in itself is fantastic, but when you look at his record in 'big' games, it's even more impressive.  There have been many players who rattled in the goals against the smaller teams, but couldn't reproduce that in the big games, when the pressure was greater.  But Robbo is the top scorer by a mile in Edinburgh derbies, and is also our top scorer against both Celtic and Rangers.  He could do it on the big stage.

He had that great combination of composure, allied to a striker's instinct to read a situation and put himself in the right place at the right time.  I remember him talking about his derby scoring record and he attributed it in part to his ability to remain calm, when lots of other players would let the pressure get to them, maybe lashing out at a chance rather then taking their time.  His ability to remain calm gave him more time to make better decisions.

I can recall him scoring the only goal in a 1-0 cup tie victory over Celtic.  The ball was played inside to him, and where a lot of players might have tried to take it first time, he allowed the ball to run across him, opened his body and buried it to the left side of the keeper, where there was more space.  If he had taken it first time, he would have hit it to the right side of the goal, which the keeper had well covered and would have had a good chance of saving it.

I grew up listening to stories of Hearts legends, like the terrible trio, MacKay, Cummings and Alex Young.  However, in my lifetime supporting Hearts, Robbo will always be my legend.  Not just a fantastic player, but a great guy as well, with a huge amount of humility.  We really should have a statue of Robbo in the Foundation Plaza.

Other way about my friend.. tucked in at the front untucked at the back 

3 minutes ago, jambotony said:

Ha, the ravages of age plays havoc on the memory!  Also I should have realised that tucked in at the back and untucked at the front would not have looked very cool.

Genuine game changer. Dependable, strong and didn’t seem to get injured very often.

You could forget he was playing until GOAL! 
Legend indeed and loves this club

7 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

not to my knowledge. But both the cheeks had no need.  Celtic had Coyne / MacAvenie / McGhee etc and the Rangers had McCoist / Johnston /Hateley / Durie etc

Obviously quite a few years ago, but I'm sure I remember celtic making a half million bid for him. 

9 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

Totally agree mate. I was in the crowd that day he came back in 89 and scored against the Hibs. They had just signed Houchen and thought they would stroll the game. On came wee Robbo off the bench and scored the winner. Absolute legend of a player and a true gent off the park. 

Remember that feeling ? having him on the bench ,especially against Hibs , we knew it , they knew it and their players knew it , absolute Legend and has never not stopped to chat even when I met him in the Bank at the West end (signed his autograph on a pay in slip😀). True gentleman 

Edited by qferryjam

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

If Robbo had signed for Rangers as a youngster he probably would have beaten McCoists scoring record and may have had a shout at the international record 

Edited by AlimOzturk

10 hours ago, The Roller said:

Robbo was much more than a poacher. He was a brilliant football player.

Doesnt get the credit he deserves at times imo.

A brilliant footballing brain and could have played and succeeded at a far higher level than Hearts.

Spot on.  Let’s be honest, can you ever remember Robbo skewing a shot or skying one over the bar? I’m not saying he scored with every shot but he genuinely was such a natural striker of the ball.  

You talk about players having the X Factor and that was his. Sometimes when you watch a player score goal after goal or always hit a clean strike of the ball, you can ask how hard is football really ? It looks easy! .....  It’s far from easy. 

He just seemed to be “there” all the time too. It’s just something players have and it’s the most difficult thing to explain to a non-football person. 

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, jambotony said:

6 hours ago, RobNox said:

Ha, the ravages of age plays havoc on the memory!  Also I should have realised that tucked in at the back and untucked at the front would not have looked very cool.

Looking at a few old photos, I think he may have tucked it in at the sides, so the front and back both flapped a bit.  Either way, it was totally cool.     Loved watching JC.  From memory,   he often managed to cross the ball without actually beating the full-back  .... and he also had an amazing ability to pretend to cross (which often made the full-back stick a leg out to block it, and fall over), before taking another couple of steps past the now grounded defender to deliver the cross.   Can't recall seeing any other winger (even on TV) do that.  Scored a decent number of goals too.  The most effective and exciting winger I've ever  witnessed in a Hearts jersey.

Lone Striker
8 hours ago, RobNox said:

That's a great post Rob, by the way   👍

Class of 75
On 03/08/2020 at 07:53, qferryjam said:

Remember that feeling ? having him on the bench ,especially against Hibs , we knew it , they knew it and their players knew it , absolute Legend and has never not stopped to chat even when I met him in the Bank at the West end (signed his autograph on a pay in slip😀). True gentleman 

Great feeling mate. Yes they knew and their players knew it. When he came off the bench they started to panic. Legend in every respect. Did you keep the payslip? 

On 04/08/2020 at 10:19, Class of 75 said:

Great feeling mate. Yes they knew and their players knew it. When he came off the bench they started to panic. Legend in every respect. Did you keep the payslip? 

Still got the payin slip  has a special message on it 👍

On 03/08/2020 at 17:02, BarneyBattles said:

Doddie’s testimonial was against rangers😀

It was, but Keegan did play, can understand the mistake by the poster 👍 Did someone else from Hearts not have a testimonial against Newcastle around the same time?

Forget it, it was Robbo.

Edited by jambo_74

Pasquale for King
On 03/08/2020 at 00:08, graygo said:

Pretty sure Hibs never withdrew the offer, more that they threatened to if he didn't sign immediately so he walked away and the rest as they say is history.

Was there not a story about Robbos dad saying he needed a new pair of boots and Hart refused to pay 😃?

Class of 75
3 hours ago, qferryjam said:

Still got the payin slip  has a special message on it 👍

Brilliant mate, something to treasure 👍