Robbo

LeftBack

Just watched a video of Robbo scoring his first international goal - clinical finish as always. He is often compared to his peer McCoist, who is often described as needing 4/5 chances to score. And of course he got 4/5 chances playing with wonderful players at Rangers.

Were Hearts and Robbo the perfect fit, as some players and clubs are - or could he genuinely have been a legendary Scottish striker if he was at the Old Firm - or indeed a better English club than Newcastle were?

And how would he have fared in the current game - would he have been even better with better players around him?

I love the wee man for many reasons so this is just a...what if? question

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Robbo could not have been better.

:notworthy: 

good answer mate - I forgot how good he was  🤨 Now about John Colquhoun....

I'm sure no less an authority than Jock Stein spoke of him in glowing terms. Like many Hearts (and Hibs) players before him he was overlooked in favour of someone playing for one of the arse cheeks when it came to representing Scotland. I've no doubt if he'd played for either Celtic or Rangers  he would have had an extremely successful career...fortunately for us that wasn't the case for which we will be forever grateful. You don't need umpteen medals to be a legend and for those of us who were there throughout his time with us he is exactly that. 

Robbo was much more than a poacher. He was a brilliant football player.

Doesnt get the credit he deserves at times imo.

A brilliant footballing brain and could have played and succeeded at a far higher level than Hearts.

Lone Striker

He had good players around him at Hearts - Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clark, JC, Scott Crabbe, Stephane Adam, Neil McCann, Colin Cameron  etc

If he had gone to one of the bigot brothers, he'd most likely have been top scorer most years.    If my memory is working ok tonight, I think the manager at Newcastle who signed him got sacked a few months later - which is usually a bad sign for recent signings made by him.   One of the best moves Wallace Mercer made was to pay good money to bring him back before any other club could make  him an offer.    As you suggest, the fans and Robbo were totally "together".    And they still are I think, despite him being manager of one of our rivals this season.  

Edited by Lone Striker

2 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

good answer mate - I forgot how good he was  🤨 Now about John Colquhoun....

I knew you would have forgotten.  :rolleyes2:

Who the Hell is John Colquhoun?

:lol: 

Just now, Lone Striker said:

He had good players around him at Hearts - Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clark, JC, Scott Crabbe, Stephane Adam, Neil McCann, Colin Cameron  etc

If he had gone to one of the bigot brothers, he'd most likely have been top scorer most years.    If my memory is working ok tonight, I think the manager at Newcastle who signed him got sacked a few months later - which is usually a bad sign for recent signings made by him.   One of the best moves Wallace Mercer made was to pay good money to bring him back before any other club could make  him an offer.    As you suggest, the fans and Robbo were totally "together".    And they still are I think, despite him being manager of one of our rivals this season.  

sh later  

He was played at right midfield for Newcastle.

The manager needed shooting not sacking.

But seriously @Morgan he was a wonderful player and the point I was making was how good could he have been. He was a once in generation player - was he up with the McCoist/Larrson goalscorers or just a Kris Boyd???  

In fact - was there a better goalscorer out of the old firm in living memory?

1 minute ago, The Roller said:

A brilliant footballing brain and could have played and succeeded at a far higher level than Hearts.

Brilliant football player.

Hammered the Vermin.

Great bloke to chat with.

Knew how to drink a hatful of vodka and cokes.

What’s not to like about our ‘wee fat striker’?  :) 

4 minutes ago, The Roller said:

This is the answer I was hoping for - just to show Im not totally biased! 

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

But seriously @Morgan he was a wonderful player and the point I was making was how good could he have been. He was a once in generation player - was he up with the McCoist/Larrson goalscorers or just a Kris Boyd???  

Better, much better than Fatso Boyd.  That’s for sure.

Probably better than McCoist.  

To be fair though, Henrik was pretty damn good.

Just now, LeftBack said:

This is the answer I was hoping for - just to show Im not totally biased! 

Aye you are, just like me!

Just now, Morgan said:

Disagree mate....

He WAS better than McCoist. **** your 'probably better'

Strange how any ‘Robbo’ thread kicks off immediately!  :lol: 

How odd.

You'd almost think the wee guy was a legend, or something?  🤷🏿‍♂️

2 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Disagree mate....

He WAS better than McCoist. **** your 'probably better'

I’ll take that from you, Harry.  :thumbsup:

A complete privilege to of watched the brilliant John Robertson. I doubt we will ever see his likes again. I remember When I heard the news he was coming back after his short stint at Newcastle and I’ve only ever felt joy like it in 1998 and 2012 . No higher praise than that. Absolute legend of the highest order

8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Obviously Ive had a few vinos...I suppose the point Im trying to make is - was Robbo a great player because he had the great players you mentioned, would he have been as good with lesser players and/or would he have been better with better players around him.

Just a genuine pub debate! For the absence of doubt - Ive got a selfie of the man and myself in the bedroom. And I hope he has too.

Ally McCoist was a better all round footballer than he got credit for.

Robbo was a better all round footballer than McCoist.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Strange how any ‘Robbo’ thread kicks off immediately!  :lol: 

How odd.

You'd almost think the wee guy was a legend, or something?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Probably the same on Iusedtothinkitwasacousinbutactuallyitwasmysisteranditdidntstopme.net when they start a "Joe Tortolano" thread.

Just now, DETTY29 said:

Perfect answer!

Class of 75
6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

A complete privilege to of watched the brilliant John Robertson. I doubt we will ever see his likes again. I remember When I heard the news he was coming back after his short stint at Newcastle and I’ve only ever felt joy like it in 1998 and 2012 . No higher praise than that. Absolute legend of the highest order

Totally agree mate. I was in the crowd that day he came back in 89 and scored against the Hibs. They had just signed Houchen and thought they would stroll the game. On came wee Robbo off the bench and scored the winner. Absolute legend of a player and a true gent off the park. 

Edited by Class of 75

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

boyd should never be mentioned in the same breath as Robbo.

Regarding McCoist I would say Robbo was the better player (McCoist has chances laid on a plate a lot more than Robbo).  What I would say about McCoist is that he was a brilliant player for Rangers and rightly holds legendary status for them. 
unfortunately for Robbo he had the likes of McCoist / Mo Johnston etc in the same era and was not afforded the caps for Scotland he should of got. It was criminal the wee man was overlooked for the 1990 World Cup squad

Class of 75

Also for me the true mark of a great player is whether they could play in a team which included all of our great players (fantasy I know). Both Robbo and Skacel for that matter would fit seemlessly into any legends side. 

Class of 75
5 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Probably the same on Iusedtothinkitwasacousinbutactuallyitwasmysisteranditdidntstopme.net when they start a "Joe Tortolano" thread.

Joe Tortolano 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Class of 75

3 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Totally agree mate. I was in the crowd that day he came back in 89 and scored against the Hibs. They had just signed Houchen and though they would stroll the game. On came wee Robbo off the bench and scored the winner. Absolute legend of a player and a true gent off the park. 

great game . He had a skinhead of sorts for that game from memory. Scenes

Class of 75
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

great game . He had a skinhead of sorts for that game from memory. Scenes

He did mate. Mental scenes at the goal. Great day. Never saw my dad jump higher. 

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

This is a great answer, a lot of people slate McCoist, however, he was a great goal scorer and he also scored a few goals towards the end of his career at Killie when not playing for an arse cheek.

He was a very good striker and scored at a major tournament for Scotland which very few players have done in the last 30 years.

But I do agree Robbo was better 👍

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

It's hard to say.  In the 80's and early 90's quite a few teams had outstanding goalscorers.  e.g.  Paul Sturrock.    Most of the top strikers who the OF bought had been prolific for their original clubs e.g.   Mark  McGhee @ Aberdeen, Tommy Coyne @ Dundee Utd,  Frank McAvennie @ St, Mirren,  Brian McClair @ Motherwell,  Davie Dodds @ Dundee Utd.      Once these guys moved to the OF,   their goalscoring increased.       But as others have said, JR was probably a more complete footballer than most of these.

Byyy The Light

I was born in 82 so for me he’s the only true legend/icon I’ve had at Hearts. Watched The John Robertson video on a daily basis for years.

Just now, Lone Striker said:

It's hard to say.  In the 80's and early 90's quite a few teams had outstanding goalscorers.  e.g.  Paul Sturrock.    Most of the top strikers who the OF bought had been prolific for their original clubs e.g.   Mark  McGhee @ Aberdeen, Tommy Coyne @ Dundee Utd,  Frank McAvennie @ St, Mirren,  Brian McClair @ Motherwell,  Davie Dodds @ Dundee Utd.      Once these guys moved to the OF,   their goalscoring increased.       But as others have said, JR was probably a more complete footballer than most of these.

Interesting all the scorers you mention did play for the old firm!

Im glad Ive started a wee debate.  Saw him wish someone a 21st....and he said you are just one away from 22 and six away from 27, which is how many I scored against Hibs.

A once in a generation player. And it should be Robertson, Mackay and Bauld in our top three 'legends'

maroonsgotop
28 minutes ago, The Roller said:

his first derby goal was my favourite closely followed by his goal in 86 against Dundee Utd

Just now, maroonsgotop said:

his first derby goal was my favourite closely followed by his goal in 86 against Dundee Utd

I wasn’t at Tannadice for that game (wasn’t allowed) but have to say it’s one of my favourite non hibs goals . I’d of loved to of been there

Lone Striker
14 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Obviously Ive had a few vinos...I suppose the point Im trying to make is - was Robbo a great player because he had the great players you mentioned, would he have been as good with lesser players and/or would he have been better with better players around him.

Just a genuine pub debate! For the absence of doubt - Ive got a selfie of the man and myself in the bedroom. And I hope he has too.

I'll refrain from asking why you and the great man were in your/his bedroom 😜   ...... 

All goalscorers rely on teammates to create chances. The more they create, the more the striker will score. The fewer they create, the fewer goals he'll score. So self-explanatory answer I think.

As others said, it seemed Robbo was played out of position in more of a support role, possibly in behind Mirandhina (I think his name was)? He was also carrying an injury which hampered him until autumn 1989. A hernia op was required, iirc. 

Willie McFaul was sacked and Jim Smith sold him to Hearts upon taking over, allegedly without seeing Robbo play. 

maroonsgotop
4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I wasn’t at Tannadice for that game (wasn’t allowed) but have to say it’s one of my favourite non hibs goals . I’d of loved to of been there

think I ended up 20 steps further down from where I was stood after he scored 😂

Edited by maroonsgotop

Sure he was back for the Bayern Q-F but not sure if he was on the bench or still recovering from his hernia op.

sure it was a local grocer who helped get him back by contributing to his wages (sure it was £1k a week he got).

Strikers mentioned  in order of ability

Larsson

robbo

mccoist

boyd

Let’s be honest, larsson  was an amazing striker probably best in recent times post 1980. Robbo was better than McCoist, could have played at a higher level. We had lots of good strikers then. Boyd??!

Anyone who didn't shed a tear when he lifted the Scottish Cup seriously needs to revise their PHM lessons.

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Interesting all the scorers you mention did play for the old firm!

Im glad Ive started a wee debate.  Saw him wish someone a 21st....and he said you are just one away from 22 and six away from 27, which is how many I scored against Hibs.

A once in a generation player. And it should be Robertson, Mackay and Bauld in our top three 'legends'

According to him,  Hibs wanted to sign him from his boys club and offered him a contract.  He wanted time to think about it and talk to his older brother Chris who was with Rangers at the time.   Hibs chairman Tom Hart got frustrated by the delay and was offended that a young lad would need time to make up his mind -  and decided to withdraw the offer.   Seems like the concept of "Hibsing it" existed back then too !!

Class of 75

I got a photo of Robbo flanked by me and my boss both in Royal Navy uniforms when we exchanged pennants in the Boardroom in 2014. Pride of place on my mantelpiece. 

Robbo is the greatest person and player there ever is and was.  I even like McCoist but Robbo was better.  It’s not even biased.  Why did celtic never go for him? 

5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Anyone who didn't shed a tear when he lifted the Scottish Cup seriously needs to revise their PHM lessons.

Greatest part of the greatest day of my life:  I was only 14 but it still was. 

Unfortunately never got the chance to see him live, he has moved on to livi, i think, by the time i went to my first game. Seen many videos of him over the years, it but have been a delight to have seen him in this prime.

Class of 75
4 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Unfortunately never got the chance to see him live, he has moved on to livi, i think, by the time i went to my first game. Seen many videos of him over the years, it but have been a delight to have seen him in this prime.

It was mate. Especially when he scored against the vermin. Even better was knowing they feared him. The only one to come close in the modern era was Skacel. They also feared him. 

Edited by Class of 75

Diadora Van Basten

Robbo played an era of some great strikers McCoist, Johnson, McAvennie and McClair.

I never really thought he was the same player when Sandy Clark retired he was the war horse who one the flick ons for Robbo to latch onto.

Did either of the arse cheeks try to sign Robbo?

I dont recall there ever being an official approach to Hearts for him.

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Did either of the arse cheeks try to sign Robbo?

I dont recall there ever being an official approach to Hearts for him.

not to my knowledge. But both the cheeks had no need.  Celtic had Coyne / MacAvenie / McGhee etc and the Rangers had McCoist / Johnston /Hateley / Durie etc

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

not to my knowledge. But both the cheeks had no need.  Celtic had Coyne / MacAvenie / McGhee etc and the Rangers had McCoist / Johnston /Hateley / Durie etc

Mind you Robbo probably didnt go to the right “school” for one or the other of them.