*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Rudden making out like he was scythed down. 

It would be great if DU slipped up dramatically.   Raith staying in the race is good.   

Edited by HMFC01

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DesertDawg
5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Dabrowski great saves. Worth keeping an eye on. 

Problem is that he struggles to marshall his defence.  Same problem that he had at Easter Road.

Daveandal
35 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Problem is that he struggles to marshall his defence.  Same problem that he had at Easter Road.

I think he has developed as a keeper. Not there yet but its amazing what moving away from Hibs can do for you.

DesertDawg
35 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

I think he has developed as a keeper. Not there yet but its amazing what moving away from Hibs can do for you.

😄

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Dabrowski great saves. Worth keeping an eye on. 

I like Mitov at St Johnstone 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 18/04/2024 at 09:29, kingantti1874 said:

They were  shite in a vastly stronger league.  

you made a very valid and accurate point about the quality of players the huns had then and now, yet for some reason don’t believe hearts and every other club haven’t suffered from same problem to varying degrees.  

You genuinely believe that Scottish football is as strong.  Good for you Baz.  I’ll have some of what your smoking 

I wasn't a Hearts fan (or for that matter watching much football, as it was effectively impossible in the states at the time without a satellite dish) at the time so I'm really on the outside looking in on these things. But I always have trouble squaring these glowing memories of the 1990s teams with the records.

In 1996/97, Rangers played in the Champions League and scrapped together a measly 3 points in a group with Ajax (the eventual runners up), Auxerre, and Grasshopper. This was of course when folk held on to the quaint idea that the Champions League should actually be made of champions, which meant that those competing were no mugs but it was also a much more dilute competition than now when it's chock full of the top clubs from the big 5 leagues. The following season, having added names like Gattuso and of course their top spend, the impenetrable wall named Lorenzo Amoruso :lol:, they were papped out of the competition at the first asking by Strausbourg just like they were a Brendan Rodgers side.

That mighty 05/06 Hearts team nearly lost the final to Gretna and the following season in Europe were brushed aside by AEK and Sparta Prague.

Comparing that with how current Scottish football has fared, a couple seasons ago a St. Johnstone team that narrowly avoided relegation went to Galatasaray and eked out a draw. Rangers recently took the Europa League final to extra time. The Celtic side we beat in the Beattie game went on to beat one of the best European club sides ever assembled the next season and qualified out of a very difficult CL group.

I accept that we don't get quite the players we used to. I accept that Celtic and Rangers were operating at a level beyond what they are operating at now. I just don't think the gap is as big as it's made out to be. The biggest thing to me is that all of Scottish football operates in the media shadow of the wealthiest league ever to exist in football and it makes it look impoverished by comparison, and worse, their annoying sidekick league gets enough dribble-down wealth that they hoover up domestic players.

And yet the new European setup has the potential to give us a boost so we can stop having ****ing Blackpool fans think they can go shopping through our roster like we're a ****ing discount bin at Tesco. I don't think 97/98 levels are unreachable for us. With a bit of luck and some clever moves, I think we could start seeing more signings like those in a few years.

No way Killie are catching us in the league , so it would be a nice boost if we qualified for the group stages today , ahead of our cup semi 

pettigrewsstylist
48 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No way Killie are catching us in the league , so it would be a nice boost if we qualified for the group stages today , ahead of our cup semi 

Going forward its massivley important for allowing us to get busy on budgets and recruitment early.

indianajones
50 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Can't see anything other than a conviving Celtic win today. 

Surrey Jambo

Nice BBC article re Dundee Utd v Ayr - Scottish Championship: Dundee Utd on title brink, but why so little fanfare? - BBC Sport   

• Goodwin's side conceded just once in that time - and their tally of 22 goals against is bettered only by Falkirk in the SPFL
  • It puts them within sight of beating the best Championship mark in the past decade - 25 by Hibernian in 2016-17
  • United have scored 68 goals, a tally only bettered in recent times by Rangers in 2015-16 Apparently our goals against of 24 in season 202/21 and our goals for of 96 in season 2014/15 do not count?

Two goals and an assist for Jamie Walker (Bradford City) BUT, he's just got his second yellow card........

John Findlay

Spartans have won 0-1 at Bonnyrigg Rose. That guarantees them a play-off place in Div 2. Well done Spartans.

Jamboelite

Spartans secure the playoffs great result having been promoted last year.

ToadKiller Dog
5 hours ago, Surrey Jambo said:

Nice BBC article re Dundee Utd v Ayr - Scottish Championship: Dundee Utd on title brink, but why so little fanfare? - BBC Sport   

• Goodwin's side conceded just once in that time - and their tally of 22 goals against is bettered only by Falkirk in the SPFL
  • It puts them within sight of beating the best Championship mark in the past decade - 25 by Hibernian in 2016-17
  • United have scored 68 goals, a tally only bettered in recent times by Rangers in 2015-16 Apparently our goals against of 24 in season 202/21 and our goals for of 96 in season 2014/15 do not count?

Bbc having amnesia about the season we kept the uglies and hibs down 😆 

Arabs did have a rather over the top pitch invasion after the game today  .

46 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Two goals and an assist for Jamie Walker (Bradford City) BUT, he's just got his second yellow card........

Jamie making a sharp get away so he can get up the road and cheer the hearts on tomorrow 

I tell you what, if you'd asked me to predict the playoff dress rehearsal yesterday between Partick and Airdrie, there's no way I'd have predicted 4-0 Thistle. I can't wait to watch those two go at it over 2 legs. I think whoever wins that will get the better of Raith too. Although I just can't see any of them toppling the Premiership side this year.