Christophe Berra

Danguar

We go through cycles on here. We want to improve our general game, then it’s ok to keep players who’ve had their best years and struggled lately in the SPL. 

I totally get it’s the Championship. It would probably be his sort of game down there. We’d dominate the ball most games and he certainly wouldn’t be under the same physical or constant barrage of pace as the SPL. 

We attracted a decent standard of player the last time in the Championship. I’m attracted to seeing a new defensive pairing settle in looking ahead to the return up to the SPL. 

Obviously new players would need to adapt to the jump in that division also, but to get a season under yer belt in maroon knowing the expectancy would be good to see.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ainsley Harriott

• Cruyff

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Ari Gold

Hectormasson
8 minutes ago, Hendolad said:

I'm happy Christophe is coming back.He was rushed back from injury last time around but being in the championship he will stroll it.Id think if he does well he could easily get another year or 2 in the premier y

quite easily,as long as he doesn't get the same problem again,  this league would suit him....

Greedy Jambo

I think everyone on wage bill should be given a chance under the 'new' manager, clean slate, but there's a few players that will need to hit the ground running, Berra is one of them. A couple of mistakes and the fans will be right on his back. 

coatbridgejambo

I like most have nothing against Berra.

Just can't stand his aimless punts up the park.

It's time to move on

Backup at best

FERRY HEARTS

Christophe has always gave his all for the jersey But sadly all good things have to come to an end !  Could Maybee do a job in background staff PHM 

Mr Elwood P
8 hours ago, Barack said:

It's only 27 games. Berra managed very well at Dundee by all accounts.

I've no issue with it. Him & Halkett will be fine until Souttar returns.

27 games, Championship, 6 month break and Craig Gordon behind him. Easy decision...

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Danguar said:

In his meeting with the media, Neilson said that Berra would be brought back into the fold and many have taken that as a sign he will be featured next season.

Thoughts? I feel like, as it looks like we're going to be in the Championship- I'm tentatively ok with it. He seemingly walked it at Dundee.

If we're in the Prem though- no chance.

He did say he would be welcomed back into the squad and then a decision would be made. 

Fluorescent Adolescent

He’s finished and was as soon as he planted his knee into the turf v Celtic.

No hard feelings towards the guy but he’s done.

A couple of half decent performances for Scumdee doesn’t change a thing.

He’s finished.

Welcome back regardless of what division

Two main reasons for our poor performance last year was our GK who was a decent midfield player (maybe) but never a GK.

The second reason was losing headers defensively.

Despite a loss of pace I think that can be balanced and with CG we are miles in front defensively.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, jambo2524 said:

Welcome back regardless of what division

Two main reasons for our poor performance last year was our GK who was a decent midfield player (maybe) but never a GK.

The second reason was losing headers defensively.

Despite a loss of pace I think that can be balanced and with CG we are miles in front defensively.

Roddy MacDonald's entire career with us (pretty decent career with us considering he was part of the 85/86 squad) was basically him winning every single high ball and heading the ball back from wherever it was hoofed from. Berra can do that job in the Champ and will also be fine on the deck at that level.

For me he had lost just about everything he had going for him and I'm convinced it was simply down to age and a consequential  loss of confidence. Increased fitness itself is unlikely to improve his performance and neither will his natural ability just to win high balls. Quite honestly I dread any opposing player taking a ball towards him on the ground nomatter what league we are talking about as his panic in that situation is palpable and infectious - something we can well do without. 

Edited by JohnB

A_A wehatethehibs

Big Christophe is approaching the end of his career, think he can do a job for 1 more year but one or two quality young center back on long term contracts is very important for us.

Based on evidence over their time at Hearts, I don't see Souttar or Halkett as having long term futures at Hearts any more than Berra to be honest. The 2 younger guys have got it all to do to prove they are capable of consistent performance. No question of soapy's ability, maybe he could be a Webster type and have a second wind later in his career after injury, but right now for me there's major doubts.

So long term plan for center half is needed but for short term, those 3 plus one more defender should be enough for us to get out the championship first try which is 100% the focus. 

KyleLafferty

Can’t wait to watch him ping it up to no one missing out the midfield 😍. Might be alright at heading a ball but could organise his defence, or motivate his team.

Edited by KyleLafferty

Ainsley Harriott

Berra needs moved on. If we spend a year in the championship we should use that time to build a good strong spl team for when we get back. Berra isn't a good spl player as evident last year.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’m amazed to see how many people want him back. Genuinely. Isn’t this a prime opportunity to move on from a pretty dismal period?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Berra needs moved on. If we spend a year in the championship we should use that time to build a good strong spl team for when we get back. Berra isn't a good spl player as evident last year.

Correct. Let’s have some foresight.

A_A wehatethehibs
37 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

36 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m amazed to see how many people want him back. Genuinely. Isn’t this a prime opportunity to move on from a pretty dismal period?

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as both signing new defenders and keeping Berra for the mere 1 remaining year of his contract. 

Yes his injury has ****ed him for top 6 premiership level, and therefore long term he is done at Hearts. But in the championship? I don't particularly "want him back" but IMO he will get the job done at that level. Get us back up first time, that's what it's all about, forget planning for the Premiership, there's a job to do so get the job done first. 

A major defence rebuild will then happen next summer when we are a Premiership club again and have the necessary budget and status to get actual quality - and at that point Berra wont be in the plans playing-wise. 

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as both signing new defenders and keeping Berra for the mere 1 remaining year of his contract. 

Yes his injury has ****ed him for top 6 premiership level, and therefore long term he is done at Hearts. But in the championship? I don't particularly "want him back" but IMO he will get the job done at that level. Get us back up first time, that's what it's all about, forget planning for the Premiership, there's a job to do so get the job done first. 

A major defence rebuild will then happen next summer when we are a Premiership club again and have the necessary budget and status to get actual quality - and at that point Berra wont be in the plans playing-wise. 

But why hes shown hes not good enough anymore to play for hearts. Some of his defending last season was about as bad as I've ever seen at the club. Even in the championship we will still be paying more than anyone out of the top 3/4 in the SPL so it goes without saying we can attract better.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

But why hes shown hes not good enough anymore to play for hearts. Some of his defending last season was about as bad as I've ever seen at the club. Even in the championship we will still be paying more than anyone out of the top 3/4 in the SPL so it goes without saying we can attract better.

Dundee kept 5 successive clean sheets Berra played every minute.

Berra, Halkett, Souttar + 1 more McKay/Wilson/Ozturk level CB will be fine for the championship. 

GK - sorted.

Defence - will do the job.

Midfield - needs major surgery, 3-4 players in IMO. Sam Nicholson is a start.

Strikers - will do the job

All our resources need focused on the midfield and wide areas, just being pragmatic. Berra and Gordon will do the job for Neilson and keep the door shut at the back - meanwhile we need to fix the supply lines in midfield that provide chances for our strikers as they are the match winners who will get us promoted. 

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Dundee kept 5 successive clean sheets Berra played every minute.

Berra, Halkett, Souttar + 1 more McKay/Wilson/Ozturk level CB will be fine for the championship. 

GK - sorted.

Defence - will do the job.

Midfield - needs major surgery, 3-4 players in IMO. Sam Nicholson is a start.

Strikers - will do the job

All our resources need focused on the midfield and wide areas, just being pragmatic. Berra and Gordon will do the job for Neilson and keep the door shut at the back - meanwhile we need to fix the supply lines in midfield that provide chances for our strikers as they are the match winners who will get us promoted. 

:spoton:

Midfield/Wingers creativity required. Probably need 2 x Centerhalf though because we should sell Craig Halkett for a gobstopper, some cola bottles and a packet of space raiders. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:spoton:

Midfield/Wingers creativity required. Probably need 2 x Centerhalf though because we should sell Craig Halkett for a gobstopper, some cola bottles and a packet of space raiders. 

IMO though that'd be a fair price for Craig, there's no club in Scotland who'll be able to get that sort of cash together after the bailiffs come round to collect our compo payout.

20 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I think everyone on wage bill should be given a chance under the 'new' manager, clean slate, but there's a few players that will need to hit the ground running, Berra is one of them. A couple of mistakes and the fans will be right on his back. 

Everyone starts with a blank slate under Robbie Neilson, if it turns out , which I expect it will that Berra is better central defender than Halkett, then Berra plays

When if we go up and Robbie decides we need to strengthen in central defence, then we cross that bridge at that time, what ever happens I’ll guarantee Berra will play his part

Edited by jbee647

Ainsley Harriott

Why are people so keen to hold onto players that have let us down and overseen one of the worst periods of form we've had in decades?

5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Why are people so keen to hold onto players that have let us down and overseen one of the worst periods of form we've had in decades?

Berra is in the last year of his contract and will be good enough for the championship.....there is no point in releasing him and paying off his contract and finding a replacement at the moment. We can look ahead and find a new CH for the following season and prioritise other areas.

We have to manage the budget and work smart.

If we are playing in the championship and we let Berra go, likelihood is he'll sign for another championship club. That's the sort of fatalistic shit that will come back to haunt us.

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Berra is in the last year of his contract and will be good enough for the championship.....there is no point in releasing him and paying off his contract and finding a replacement at the moment. We can look ahead and find a new CH for the following season and prioritise other areas.

We have to manage the budget and work smart.

Got to agree here.

Money will be tight and if it is indeed the championship we are in, then we only need to tweak this years squad with one eye on the premiership next year and a possible major rebuild for next season.

Midfield has been a problem since Djoum left. Unless Damour seriously works hard and ups his game then I can’t see how we can move him on. Macdonald and Irvine should seize their chance this year and getting players out will be a bigger problem than getting players in. Berra has a chance to redeem himself with Robbie and will be part of this years squad.

Souttar could be dogged with injuries for evermore so we will need cover at the back. Berra would be better in the squad and given a chance to see what he can do. I’m sure Robbie’s tactical nous won’t be shelling howitzers from the back to the front like his previous mentor when he was here.  

Ainsley Harriott

Personally I would be happy to see the entirety of last seasons squad **** off. I do realise that wont happen though 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
45 minutes ago, Boris said:

If we are playing in the championship and we let Berra go, likelihood is he'll sign for another championship club. That's the sort of fatalistic shit that will come back to haunt us.

I wouldn’t say that players leaving Hearts recently has generally come back to haunt us. In fact, I’m struggling to think of one example from the past few years.

This thread will keep bouncing back up next season as Berra struggles.

27 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I wouldn’t say that players leaving Hearts recently has generally come back to haunt us. In fact, I’m struggling to think of one example from the past few years.

This thread will keep bouncing back up next season as Berra struggles.

I wasn't claiming that it had happened previously.  But it's the sort of thing that could...

Berra, as he showed at Dundee, is a capable player in the championship.  If we are to play in that league, why give an opponent an advantage?

Loan Berra to St Mirren... win win....I grew up with Berra coming through the ranks.... I’m slightly older than him but know my body is nowhere near the prime it was in 98

55 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Personally I would be happy to see the entirety of last seasons squad **** off. I do realise that wont happen though 

So what would Hibs do?

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The next Arron Hughes 

When will they ever learn.

jack D and coke
On 06/07/2020 at 13:41, busby1985 said:

Disruptive influence in the changing room who spat the dummy and ran to the press when things weren't going his way under Stendel. Cost us numerous goals last season and by the time he was loaned out had lost the dressing room. Bin him. 

I’m here.
Depressing thinking of him playing for us again. 

Hearts fans are backward looking. 

Ainsley Harriott
7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m here.
Depressing thinking of him playing for us again. 

Hearts fans are backward looking. 

Good Scottish laddie though. 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Good Scottish laddie though. 

Aw man it’s depressing going into a new season whenever that might be thinking he might come back. Robbie/we do not need Berra and his ****ing hoofball. 
Empty. Pronto. 

Move on ffs. 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, jack D and coke said:

Aw man it’s depressing going into a new season whenever that might be thinking he might come back. Robbie/we do not need Berra and his ****ing hoofball. 
Empty. Pronto. 

Move on ffs. 

My thoughts exactly. We have a support that are weirdly desperate to cling onto the past which is ever weirder given how bad our recent few seasons have been. 

If anyone who is saying ‘jist get rid eh um’ has a spare £200,000 lying around to pay up his contract then I’m sure the club would be all ears. 

Otherwise back in the real world, he’ll be here next season and used when required. He’s still a good influence to have around the club. He’s already doing Skype meetings/sessions with the younger squads.

Ainsley Harriott
4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

If anyone who is saying ‘jist get rid eh um’ has a spare £200,000 lying around to pay up his contract then I’m sure the club would be all ears. 

Otherwise back in the real world, he’ll be here next season and used when required. He’s still a good influence to have around the club. He’s already doing Skype meetings/sessions with the younger squads.

James Anderson has a spare 200k. I also dont see how many people can still respect him after they way he behaved in january.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

James Anderson has a spare 200k. I also dont see how many people can still respect him after they way he behaved in january.

I still respect him. Great player in his day. Was only a couple of years ago he was the best defender in the league. Great pro and a good example to our younger players. 

Players get older, lose form etc that’s football. He has a contract that needs to be respected.

Id much rather have a character like Christophe around the club than jokers like Cummings or Lafferty.

Just my opinion mind. 

Weakened Offender

I thought we looked worse at the back when he left. It didn't look to clever a decision when he wasn't replaced. 

Captain Canada

Our defence was an utter shambles for months and Berra was a big part of that. His heading ability is fantastic but pace and distribution are very important too and unfortunately those have deteriorated badly. 

He has been great for us generally in both spells until his last injury. I think it's time to look again at all the central defenders as Souttar and Halkett were dire in a lot of games too. 

Need to have a squad in football, would he be in my starting 11 every week, no? Would I like to have him in and about the squad, yes. 

We need as many players who get what it's about playing for Hearts this upcoming season, absolute siege mentality and adequate cover for our defence.

2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Our defence was an utter shambles for months and Berra was a big part of that. His heading ability is fantastic but pace and distribution are very important too and unfortunately those have deteriorated badly. 

He has been great for us generally in both spells until his last injury. I think it's time to look again at all the central defenders as Souttar and Halkett were dire in a lot of games too. 

I agree his injury had an adverse effect on his performances but even if he is not in the team we would struggle to get someone better as a back-up.  It would be stupid not to include someone of his defensive/heading ability as a squad player despite his distribution failings.

If his distribution is half as bad as people on here say, we should be aiming higher.