Christophe Berra

Danguar

In his meeting with the media, Neilson said that Berra would be brought back into the fold and many have taken that as a sign he will be featured next season.

Thoughts? I feel like, as it looks like we're going to be in the Championship- I'm tentatively ok with it. He seemingly walked it at Dundee.

If we're in the Prem though- no chance.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ainsley Harriott

• Cruyff

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Ari Gold

Thought Police

Even if he doesn’t play much, I’m sure Robbie and the players would prefer having him around than just sending him packing again.

Need to have a "no nonsense" centre back for the Championship imo, someone that can deal with the increased physicality and long ball shelling that occurs in that league. Berra's been round the block, and whilst he had been an utter liability for us last season, a drop in level might help his confidence and overall game. 

Neil Dongcaster

Will be absolutely fine in the championship. Although if we are in a position to do so I would like to see what Hamilton can do.

2 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Need to have a "no nonsense" centre back for the Championship imo, someone that can deal with the increased physicality and long ball shelling that occurs in that league. Berra's been round the block, and whilst he had been an utter liability for us last season, a drop in level might help his confidence and overall game. 

Who was our no nonsense centre half last time?

johnthomas
2 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

He , like many others , was sometimes a liability last season . What was a much bigger problem was our inability to deal with crosses and high balls when he wasn't there

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Berra is still a good defender. I think folk have very short memories. 

That is highly debatable

Hagar the Horrible

I have no problem with Berra his form dipped and his confidence dipped, but he started doing what every good player does when you lose trust in those around him, boot the ball anywhere, If others were where they should have been then the passing would have been better and easier, but he was passing the ball to hwre it was planned to be, but too many otthers were hiding.

Robbie will get him and everybody else fit again

Disruptive influence in the changing room who spat the dummy and ran to the press when things weren't going his way under Stendel. Cost us numerous goals last season and by the time he was loaned out had lost the dressing room. Bin him. 

Just now, Ari Gold said:

That is highly debatable

I wouldn't write him off just yet. He might be a squad player, not necessarily a starter. 

Mister Dee

I always like the idea of players getting a second chance that they might not have otherwise got. 
Let’s hope he takes it. 

Thought Police

Even if he doesn’t play much, I’m sure Robbie and the players would prefer having him around than just sending him packing again.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Berra was rushed back far too quickly after his injury but I'm sure the long break will have done him world of good

Sooperstar

Hopefully the rest will have done him good. Will be good for morale to have him back I think. His treatment seems to have been a particularly contentious part of Stendel's tenure.

kingantti1874

All for it. Can’t forget how good he was when he came back, how terrible that injury was and how he rushed himself back. Yeah he didn’t do himself any favours with Stendel but I think there was huge frustration there.. 

bottom line, 99% chance we will be playing in championship and Berra strolled it there when he went to Dundee.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Berra I'm afraid looked like a horse needing euthanized. I wont change my mind, he is too slow, good in the air is not enough I'm afraid

Howdy Doody Jambo

He is going to be have to up his game going by last season, with Gordon home between the sticks and Neilson back in the technical area I'm optimistic Christophe can be much Berra 

30 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Disruptive influence in the changing room who spat the dummy and ran to the press when things weren't going his way under Stendel. Cost us numerous goals last season and by the time he was loaned out had lost the dressing room. Bin him. 

Berra should have conducted himself a hell of a lot better. I think Robbie wants to do what Robbie wants to do though, I would really caution against him being reappointed Captain though. Should stay with Naismith or even go to Gordon. Smith could even be a shout as a neutral choice. Mr Consistent. 

I don't think even Berra himself could say with a straight face he should get it back. I don't think he set a good enough example (the training story you posted a while back really doesn't sit right with me, a Captain should be last man out, not first). Think there is a story Pressley used to go for a long jog after training, say what you want about him but he set standards at a time where we were finishing 3rd regularly. Same cannot be said under Berra. 

I know the counter point to that is well, Naismith was captain and we dropped to 12th. Its a valid point, I think Naismith is vocal on the field and sets standards. Last season was a train wreck and turning around a losing mentality is bloody hard. I think we had began to turn a corner then Hamilton got a ridiculous run beating Killie and Rangers (at Ibrox) then us falling apart at St Mirren. Berra isn't vocal enough IMO and Naismith appears to have more of the characteristics you would associate with leadership. 

tokyowalnut

Squad player for the Championship, but I wouldnt want him starting. His attitude towards Stendal last year was a nonsense, he must have known that he no longer has the legs for the SPFL. 

Neilson could just be paying him lip service, being respectful to a former team mate. 

Hopefully the "launching the ball Route One" every time was down to Levein rather than Berra because that didn't endear him to me latterly.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Yip, still a colossus in the box and in the air. 

He's also left sided, neither Halkett or Souttar are 100% comfortable on the left side.

Fully expect he will be on the bench most of the time, good to have helping the younger players and solid pro to come on and help us see out a game when needed 

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Berra I'm afraid looked like a horse needing euthanized. I wont change my mind, he is too slow, good in the air is not enough I'm afraid

In other words he’s shite.

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Taking into account everything since his injury, his form, his inability to properly captain the team, his behaviour when he was told he was surplus to requirements then it’s a solid no from me. I was his biggest fan but it’s clear he isn’t even half the player he was pre-injury. Sad but true. 

1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Who was our no nonsense centre half last time?

In the Championship? Would probably have said Ozturk. 

4 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

In the Championship? Would probably have said Ozturk. 

Ozturk is the least commanding no nonsense centre half I've ever seen. Horrific in the air. 

17 minutes ago, Shug73 said:

Brad McKay

He played 10 games

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

Ozturk is the least commanding no nonsense centre half I've ever seen. Horrific in the air. 

He played 10 games

I know. But he was our most "no nonsense" centre half that season. That was your question.

mahgrassyshoes

Berra is on too high a wage to keep around as a squad player in the championship, imo.

Hopefully, the poor form was due to him rushing back from injury and going to Dundee helped him get back to form. 

hopefully Souttar can get a good run alongside him because I cannot cope with the idea of another season of Berra floating long balls to the strikers. 

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, mahgrassyshoes said:

Berra is on too high a wage to keep around as a squad player in the championship, imo.

Hopefully, the poor form was due to him rushing back from injury and going to Dundee helped him get back to form. 

hopefully Souttar can get a good run alongside him because I cannot cope with the idea of another season of Berra floating long balls to the strikers. 

we will be paying it anyway for a year 🤷‍♂️

Uncle Buck

A far superior defender to Halkett, and him and Souttar compliment eachother very well. Finally with a decent goalkeeper and a decent manager, I think it would be good to have Berra around.

Roxy Hearts

Happy with CB for CB. Best centre back we have, even at his age. Halkett looks disinterested at times and Souttar always injured but flatters. Like Michael Smith at CB though. 

2 hours ago, Barack said:

It's only 27 games. Berra managed very well at Dundee by all accounts.

I've no issue with it. Him & Halkett will be fine until Souttar returns.

Hallett, Berra are not good enough in my opinion. 

28 minutes ago, Shug73 said:

I know. But he was our most "no nonsense" centre half that season. That was your question.

Fair. 

Least it shows that we don't necessarily need a no nonsense centre half. 

Craig Halkett is one of the worst centerhalfs I've ever seen at Hearts.  The quicker he is launched , the better our defence will be. An instantaneous improvement. It actually infuriates he wore the armband last season. Never worthy to pull on the Jersey in his life nevermind have the honour to captain Hearts. Disgraceful. 😤🤣

Berra for the Championship, will do a job. For the Prem, we need someone better and younger as a starting XI player. 

We didn’t improve at the back after Berra left on loan in fact we still made the same mistakes. I’d be happy enough for Berra to be in the squad for next season.

23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Craig Halkett is one of the worst centerhalfs I've ever seen at Hearts.  The quicker he is launched , the better our defence will be. An instantaneous improvement. It actually infuriates he wore the armband last season. Never worthy to pull on the Jersey in his life nevermind have the honour to captain Hearts. Disgraceful. 😤🤣

Berra for the Championship, will do a job. For the Prem, we need someone better and younger as a starting XI player. 

Hackett only has one foot.............fact....!

Edited by Section Q

A Shoreditch Heart

if he's back to full fitness, then he is definitely the sort of player we want in the squad next season - a PHM with experience, presence and still a great footballer.

Marty Byrde

He's pish now but if we are to play in the lower league he won't be as exposed as he was previously.

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Hackett only has one foot.............fact....!

And 2 chins :whistling:

I'm happy Christophe is coming back.He was rushed back from injury last time around but being in the championship he will stroll it.Id think if he does well he could easily get another year or 2 in the premier League.