West of the city

jake

As a boy I grew up in the big scheme.

So obvious to go along watch the Hearts.

Why you and what side of the city.

In the 80s I was glad Hearts had a connection with the mining community.

Wester Hailes and Calders certainly made up the carry on .

😣 I want to get high

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Fxxx the SPFL

• TyphoonJambo

• jamboozy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I grew up in Leith, down by the Shore, always been my own man so opted to support the Big team.  This was during the 1970s, one of the few eras in history when you would have to admit Hibs were the better side, Turnbull's tornadoes era.  The first ever Hearts game I attended took place on 1/1/73, the only way from there was up.  The second derby I attended in August 1973, when we skelped them 4-1.  Little did I know it would be 10 years before we would beat them in a league match again, thanks wee Robbo and big Jimmy Bone.  By then, natural order had been restored and has by and large remained in place, with the odd, very temporary exception.

30 minutes ago, jake said:

😣 I want to get high

Council estate called Deanpark, in Balerno, westernmost point of Edinburgh, I think. Born in 1979. Mostly Hearts.

willie wallace

Sunny Drylaw in the north side of town for me although I can't remember anyone ever saying they came from the north of the city.

First game 59/60 I think. Some of the trips on the Drylaw bus will live long  long in the memory😀

Famous 1874
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Council estate called Deanpark, in Balerno, westernmost point of Edinburgh, I think. Born in 1979. Mostly Hearts.

Balerno is a good Hearts area 👍

Gilmerton and although I must confess I originally supported Rangers due to my dad coming from Glasgow I saw the light as a teenager and went to Tynecastle and fell in love and never looked back. 
had great pleasure returning home back in 98

Never really grew up in any specific area but spent most of my life in the East of the city. Only experience living near Tynie was when my mum had a flat in Dalry which I loved but I didn't live there full time. Lived with my Dad in Southside instead. Neither could really afford to take me to games often, but if at my Mum's when we were at home, she'd give me money to run along and get myself a programme which was a thrill in its own right for a young lad.

Haven't grown up in a big family either. Mums side hail from West Lothian and are an eclectic mix of Old Firm 'fans'. I say 'fans' as none of them bar my Mum's brother really actually care all that much, or go to games etc. My Dad's side wasn't really a large family. I never knew his real dad, and aside from his brothers who were both Jambo's, I only really had my Nana on that side who wasn't much a football fan, but cheered Hearts on for us. My step grandad if you will, albeit he was in my life from day 1 until he passed 2 years ago, was a football fan but not necessarily a fan of a club really. He came from an Irish family so considered himself a bit of a Celtic fan growing up, but was never a serious fan. And because of my dad, uncles and later myself, he went on to become a Hearts well wisher. He'd even cheer on Hearts to beat Celtic if he was in our company just because he knew it would make us happy. My Dad grew up in Drylaw in the 80's with 2 older Jambo brothers, and plenty Jambo mates. Sure anyone from West Drylaw in that era would know of him or my 2 uncles who have both sadly long passed. 

Long story short, I never had huge influence really. My Dad tried to get me into football from a young age which worked, and I couldn't get enough of it. I was never forced to support Hearts, but at the same time, it felt completely normal to do so and I never questioned it. I quickly fell in love with the club, and never looked back. Wish I could sit in Tynecastle with my Uncles, but I'm grateful for what I've experienced and despite the ups and downs with my old man, I'm forever grateful that he introduced me to such a fantastic football club.

Grew up in Leith, Dad and Grandad are Hearts. This is my first ever visit to Tynecastle in March 1990. I'm the wee dude.....

_20200620_010524_compress3.thumb.jpg.e4cdfb8323c700c821d1dd6da703e9de.jpg

Edited by Cruyff

Grew up in Moat street Then Parkhead. Could hear the crowds on a Saturday with the window open. Grandfather was born and bred in Gorgie  and Took me along as soon he Didn’t  have to carry me. Not one hibby   in our family so it was a no brainier for me. Now living in Shanghai and miss it like feck. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Grew up in Leith, Dad and Grandad are Hearts. This is my first ever visit to Tynecastle in March 1990. I'm the wee dude.....

_20200620_010524_compress3.thumb.jpg.e4cdfb8323c700c821d1dd6da703e9de.jpg

You bonnie jambo bairn

Born in Wardlaw Place, second house was in Wardlaw Street. When I was in short trousers, I just assumed everybody followed Hearts!

Independence

Trinity. First memories of going to Tynecastle was getting on a train at Goldenacre with my dad. My grandad was already on it as he lived in Leith. dads cousin got on the train in Granton. The train then made its way to Tynecastle. Happy days! The railway line is now cycle track. Sad!

Harry Potter

Round the corner from corstorphine primary, next to st margarets park, 2 mins from the corstorphine inn.

Some match days about 14 of us covered in maroon would get the no 1 bus to the game in the 70s.

Edited by Harry Potter

Born in and spent the first 8 years of my life in Juniper Green,  moved up to Aberdeen with my Dads job in 1985,, the bond between HMFC and me never waived , infact grew as strong as it could given the shit i took from Aberdeen fans growing up. 

I played football at quite a a high level, so never really got long to Tynecastle until i was in my late 20's as i was as i was always playing.,  Its amazing how special a place Tynecastle is, the walk, the smell, its just fantastic.

Dad is Hibs, but never ever tried to sway who i supported, something i totally respect him for, however i cannot say the same, i still stay in Aberdeen, and actually binned the Aberdeen kit my in laws bought for my son on his 2nd birthday, 2 hours after they dropped it off, , that caused me a load of greif with the wife....... I took the wee man to Tynecastle when he has 4 and he loved it, fell in love with the famous, he is now 15 and taking a load of shit from his mates at the minutes but he gives as good as he gets and keeps the jambos flame burning up here. Things could have been so fifferent if my Dad had the same attitude as me!!!

HHGH

TyphoonJambo
8 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Sunny Drylaw in the north side of town for me although I can't remember anyone ever saying they came from the north of the city.

First game 59/60 I think. Some of the trips on the Drylaw bus will live long  long in the memory😀

Im Muirhouse, first game would have been in tge early 70s,agsinst Airdrie i think. I too was on the Drylaw bus, mental at times, loved it. QoS away was a particularly memorable evening. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Wheatfield Place born 1957 my late father and grandfather were both Leither's (Balfour Street) and part time Hibbies to boot. Auld man worked most Saturdays when i was young so didn't drag me along to Fester Rd.  As most of the lads around Gorgie were jambos there was only one team for me and my two younger brothers. Middle brother still goes to most of the games home and away his work stops him managing more we usually catch up in the Ardmillan before games. (youngest brother now in Canada). Derek O'Connor and his parents lived two stairs down from us and in our early teens a large group of us would in the dark nights of winter climb over Gerard's Yard gates and then over the fence into Tynie to play on the pitch occasionally the Cops would come but always appeared at the old stand side we used to leg it back over the gates and out. I always thought that some old dearie in the Tenement flats on Gorgie Rd called the fuzz lol. i used to work as a paper laddie for Willie Bauld when he had the newsagents in Gorgie Rd and i also for one season worked at Tynie on match days walking round the track with a tray like the Tivoli Picture House usherettes selling Crisps, Kiora Orange cartons, chewing gum and other stuff. Used to hate going past the shed as hands were everywhere and loads got nicked luckily one of the women in the old stand were we went to refill the tray was sympathetic and gave me an extra tray of chewing gum to sell to make my money up. Aye the good old days. Moved to the Borders for twenty six years returning to auld reekie in 2007 me and the wife who was born in Melrose and long time season ticket holder both now live in Trinity and there are a good few jambos down this neck of the woods.

Oh nearly forgot HHGH and FTH.

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

TyphoonJambo
52 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Round the corner from corstorphine primary, next to st margarets park, 2 mins from the corstorphine inn.

Some match days about 14 of us covered in maroon would get the no 1 bus to the game in the 70s.

If i remember correctly you had plenty time to sup up and get to the bus. It allways sat outside the Corstorphine inn for ages 

Boyces beard

Born in cali place (Dalry), moved to Wester Hailes when i was a four. Spent my youth growing up there which consisted of playing fitba and watching Hearts. Always been on the west side and moved to Saughton in my early 20's as the wife didn't fancy Wester Hailes (the cheek of her). Still in Saughton to this day and still as passionate about Hearts as ever.

FTH & FTSPFL

Born in Calder (1983). Lived the first year of my life in Dunsyre House. Moved to Hermand Street for a bit before moving over the road to Robertson Ave. Moved to Parkhead Loan where I spent most of my childhood before mum decided she wanted a bigger house and moved us all to Roull Rd (Carrickknowe). It was only ever going to be Hearts.

Edited by DG_HMFC

John Findlay

I'm a West Pilton/Royston boy. 

All my mum's side of the family are Hibs supporters as my mum was brought up in the Kirkgate in Leith.

My dad is a Bankie by birth but was brought up mainly in Coatbridge as is house in Clydebank was bombed in WWII. He went to watch Airdrie as a laddie and one day in 1949 the Hearts turned up with Conn Bauld and Wardaugh. My dad was hooked.

To make sure my grandad, my mum's dad didnt influence me football wise my dad took me to my first game at Tynecastle in December 1965. I was 2yrs and 8 months old and I was hooked.

Gorebridge all my life, Dad is Celtic and my mums side is Rangers. Never supported them but can mind of wearing Rangers tops when young. Also had a foot tall Brian Laudrup figure in my bedroom. Then one day, think would have been 5, i just said to my mum im not Rangers I'm Hearts and that was that, my dad took me to my first game in 98 2-1 win v killie.

Boyces beard
4 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Born in Calder (1983). Lived the first year of my life in Dunsyre House. Moved to Hermand Street for a bit before moving over the road to Robertson Ave. Moved to Parkhead Loan where I spent most of my childhood before mum decided she wanted a bigger house and moved us all to Roull Rd (Carrickknowe). It was only ever going to be Hearts.

Duno how one of yer best mates ended up being a long haired (in his prime) Samaras lookalike pretend photographer hibs supporting bellend!  🤣 But i suppose we all have our faults 👍

John Findlay
34 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Wheatfield Place born 1957 my late father and grandfather were both Leither's (Balfour Street) and part time Hibbies to boot. Auld man worked most Saturdays when i was young so didn't drag me along to Fester Rd.  As most of the lads around Gorgie were jambos there was only one team for me and my two younger brothers. Middle brother still goes to most of the games home and away his work stops him managing more we usually catch up in the Ardmillan before games. (youngest brother now in Canada). Derek O'Connor and his parents lived two stairs down from us and in our early teens a large group of us would in the dark nights of winter climb over Gerard's Yard gates and then over the fence into Tynie to play on the pitch occasionally the Cops would come but always appeared at the old stand side we used to leg it back over the gates and out. I always thought that some old dearie in the Tenement flats on Gorgie Rd called the fuzz lol. i used to work as a paper laddie for Willie Bauld when he had the newsagents in Gorgie Rd and i also for one season worked at Tynie on match days walking round the track with a tray like the Tivoli Picture House usherettes selling Crisps, Kiora Orange cartons, chewing gum and other stuff. Used to hate going past the shed as hands were everywhere and loads got nicked luckily one of the women in the old stand were we went to refill the tray was sympathetic and gave me an extra tray of chewing gum to sell to make my money up. Aye the good old days. Moved to the Borders for twenty six years returning to auld reekie in 2007 me and the wife who was born in Melrose and long time season ticket holder both now live in Trinity and there are a good few jambos down this neck of the woods.

You sly old goat. You've changed your user name

1 minute ago, jambo3tevie said:

Duno how one of yer best mates ended up being a long haired (in his prime) Samaras lookalike pretend photographer hibs supporting bellend!  🤣 But i suppose we all have our faults 👍

Hahahaha 

South Queensferry for me. It was literally all Hearts when I was growing up in the late 80’s early 90’s. Few Hibs but not many, think there was only one from the dozen or so mates of mine. First game we beat Kilmarnock 6-1 in 87. “Hearts will do for me I thought to myself!!”. Foster scored late on. HHGH.

Born in Weterhailes, Dad was taking me to games from an early age 3 or 4 where he'd lift me over the turnstile. Lived in various places from Portobello, Granton, Clerry to eventually moving to Mid Calder. I moved into my own pad in Livingston. Everything in Livingston got completely fecked and I buggered off to Bath. I will always follow The Famous and nothing will change that. 

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You sly old goat. You've changed your user name

not at all who are you ;) How are you keeping John

PS are the trains down to Tweedbank busy we were hoping to head down to the daughters next Saturday and so i can have a wee drink at the grandsons birthday he will be two i thought me and the missus would get the train but she gets a bit paranoid of being too close to other punters we obviously will have to wear face masks.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Born in Weterhailes, Dad was taking me to games from an early age 3 or 4 where he'd lift me over the turnstile. Lived in various places from Portobello, Granton, Clerry to eventually moving to Mid Calder. I moved into my own pad in Livingston. Everything in Livingston got completely fecked and I buggered off to Bath. I will always follow The Famous and nothing will change that. 

Bath is a cracking place good boozers well twelve years ago they were a nice wee midweek break.

When I left the RAF In 1983 I had a flat at Roseburn so wandered along to a couple of games with my future brother in law and got hooked.

We moved to Leith for 10 years and used to go to away games with Leith & Roseburn bus  but moved back West in 96 and have lived in Carrick Knowe since

Mid Calder Jambo
1 hour ago, rory78 said:

Trinity here - went to Wardie Primary and the school tie had green on it 🤮

Stayed near WPS.  Terrible tie.  My mother worked in the school for many years. Father was Hubs, brother ended up being Hubs and me.  Well the rest is history

35 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed reading your history 👍 I too was born in 1957(best folk and all that) in a small village in Stirlingshire called Larbert, a lot of old firm fans, local team is Stenhousemuir, but from my primary school years I decided I wanted to be a Hearts fan largely because my older brothers were Rangers fans and already well into bitterness and rancour toward anyone that went to St Francis, I didn’t want to be like that so it was Hearts for me.

I found out when I went to Larbert high that there are quite a lot of Hearts fans in the area.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

not at all who are you ;) How are you keeping John

PS are the trains down to Tweedbank busy we were hoping to head down to the daughters next Saturday and so i can have a wee drink at the grandsons birthday he will be two i thought me and the missus would get the train but she gets a bit paranoid of being too close to other punters we obviously will have to wear face masks.

You will be fine on the train, they are not to busy. I'm keeping good thanks. I hope you and the boss are keeping well too.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed reading your history 👍 I too was born in 1957(best folk and all that) in a small village in Stirlingshire called Larbert, a lot of old firm fans, local team is Stenhousemuir, but from my primary school years I decided I wanted to be a Hearts fan largely because my older brothers were Rangers fans and already well into bitterness and rancour toward anyone that went to St Francis, I didn’t want to be like that so it was Hearts for me.

I found out when I went to Larbert high that there are quite a lot of Hearts fans in the area.

1957 a great vintage good to hear your story do you still manage to get to games. Have you lived in Larbert continuously.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

You will be fine on the train, they are not to busy. I'm keeping good thanks. I hope you and the boss are keeping well too.

we are John just wanting football to resume and all this shit to be over with.

take care and see you at Waverley

John Findlay
Just now, **** the SPFL said:

we are John just wanting football to resume and all this shit to be over with.

take care and see you at Waverley

👍👍👍. That makes two of us. See you here at the station. You take care too.

9 hours ago, jake said:

😣 I want to get high

I grew up in the Calders.

In no way is this a “I’m a better Hearts fan than you” statement(more aimed at the glory hunters who support the weegie teams) but there was something great about growing up as a Hearts fan,  in Edinburgh, in the Calders.

There’s Hearts fans far and wide and thats brilliant but on a personal level it’s the sense of belonging to the place you grow up in and supporting a team from there. 

The glory hunting trumpets will never feel that. 

9 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

1957 a great vintage good to hear your story do you still manage to get to games. Have you lived in Larbert continuously.

Yes, been a continuous season ticket holder since the sons were old enough to go to games, they are up and away now so I got myself a nice seat in lower D. (near the camera position) I’ve had that seat for about 10 seasons now.

Yes I have l have lived in the Larbert area all my life and now live near Carronshore , just me and the missus.

Edited by jamboozy

Stockbridge,but not as you know it now.during the 70s when the vermin rats had a no bad side it was hard.but a fair few of us had the sense to follow the famous.

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Yes, been a continuous season ticket holder since the sons were old enough to go to games, they are up and away now so I got myself a nice seat in lower D. (near the camera position) I’ve had that seat for about 10 seasons now.

Yes I have l have lived in the Larbert area all my life and now live near Carronshore , just me and the missus.

good to know me and the better half are section Q lower row 9 we don't get wet fortunately,  just to the left of the home dugout as you would be looking at it. have a good one

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

9 hours ago, RobNox said:

I grew up in Leith, down by the Shore, always been my own man so opted to support the Big team.  This was during the 1970s, one of the few eras in history when you would have to admit Hibs were the better side, Turnbull's tornadoes era.  The first ever Hearts game I attended took place on 1/1/73, the only way from there was up.  The second derby I attended in August 1973, when we skelped them 4-1.  Little did I know it would be 10 years before we would beat them in a league match again, thanks wee Robbo and big Jimmy Bone.  By then, natural order had been restored and has by and large remained in place, with the odd, very temporary exception.

Same as you Rob, born & raised in Leith when Hibs had a very good side.

Old man was a big Hearts fan and took me to Tynie at an early age.

It’s surprising how many Hearts fans came from the Leith area.

1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

good to know me and the better half are section Q lower row 9 we don't get wet fortunately,  just to the left of the home dugout as you would be looking at it. have a good one

Cheers buddy, here’s hoping we are back ‘Home’ soon . 

2 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Stockbridge,but not as you know it now.during the 70s when the vermin rats had a no bad side it was hard.but a fair few of us had the sense to follow the famous.

Although a very rare breed in football, you do get those who “jump ship”. You can bet there’d have been a few back then.

Its a great life lesson for those who do.  Class is permanent and it comes in maroon. I despair at those supporters who change allegiance for a short term high.

😊🇱🇻

Wilson Wood, Would You?

Newbridge, born in 1958 and first game was Feb 1969 Celtic 5 Hearts 0.  Was taken to this  by a Celtic supporting  friend of the family on Bathgate Celtic Supporters bus - scarred to this day!!!