Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Fxxx the SPFL

• TyphoonJambo

• jamboozy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Class of 75

Initially born in Edinburgh but moved out to the sticks, Loanhead and Bonnyrigg. My dad was and still is a Jambo through and through, taking me to my first game at Tynecastle when I was 4. We have been to countless games both home and away but hate going to games without him. My High School had a strong Jambo following with one of my mates actually playing for and captaining Hearts. Always Hearts for me and although I now live in Fife and due to work  I have been assigned to Cornwall for the next 18 months, I am looking forward to getting back to Tynecastle when football resumes. So proud of this great club and the way that we conduct ourselves. 

Edited by Class of 75

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was born in the city and lived my early years in a tenement over looking Harrison Park, so Tynecastle was within ear shot. My folks were from the Highlands and were not really into football that much but my dad used to go to watch Hearts occasionally with work mates. I pestered him until he finally took me along in the late seventies and despite the team being on a real downward spiral then I loved going and was envious of the goings on in the shed as my old man would only take me to the enclosure. Like others have said there were quite a lot of hibs fans my age around at that time and some tried to convert me, no chance, I even lived for a time in a west coast village surrounded by mostly blue noses but once Hearts always Hearts! 

A special club despite the ups and downs!

Trinity for me, first game v Locomotive Leipzig, old man used to have season ticket, seat A1 centre stand at the time.

Old man now sadly gone, Hearts, Hearts totally Hearts.

Born in wester hailes in 1973, moved to gorgie a few months later, back to wester hailes when I was 5. Dads family a mix of gorgie and Southside, mims family a mix of gorgie and stenhouse. 

I couldn't not be a jambo.

davemclaren
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Grew up in Leith, Dad and Grandad are Hearts. This is my first ever visit to Tynecastle in March 1990. I'm the wee dude.....

_20200620_010524_compress3.thumb.jpg.e4cdfb8323c700c821d1dd6da703e9de.jpg

Great photo to have. 

Worthing Jambo
11 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Council estate called Deanpark, in Balerno, westernmost point of Edinburgh, I think. Born in 1979. Mostly Hearts.

Of course it was mainly Hearts!

davemclaren

Brought up in and lived in Bonnyrigg most of my life. Got banned from the geography class in second year at Lasswade High for nearly a year for being a Hearts supporter. I must have annoyed Jimmy Grenfell ( hibs supporting teacher ) something awful. 😄

Class of 75
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Brought up in and lived in Bonnyrigg most of my life. Got banned from the geography class in second year at Lasswade High for nearly a year for being a Hearts supporter. I must have annoyed Jimmy Grenfell ( hibs supporting teacher ) something awful. 😄

Hi Dave. We might have been at Lasswade at the same time, possibly? Remember Jimmy Greenfly well. 

millerjames398
2 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed reading your history 👍 I too was born in 1957(best folk and all that) in a small village in Stirlingshire called Larbert, a lot of old firm fans, local team is Stenhousemuir, but from my primary school years I decided I wanted to be a Hearts fan largely because my older brothers were Rangers fans and already well into bitterness and rancour toward anyone that went to St Francis, I didn’t want to be like that so it was Hearts for me.

I found out when I went to Larbert high that there are quite a lot of Hearts fans in the area.

I was raised just along from larbert..on the other side of the dobbie hall, in antonshill, my dad was hearts daft, so it was passed onto me, larbert high was pretty much exclusively rangers (glory hunting 9iar trolls) and a sprinkle of Falkirk fans, i can honestly say in my year i think i was the only hearts fan, not one single vermin fan in the whole school in my 4 1/2 years at larbert high, so games v Falkirk were like a derby, more for them than me, bless them, but some good banter..until a certain 6-0 game😖😄

Born and brought up in the east of the city. I was even christened at London Road church on the corner of Easter Road. Made no difference though. Both sides of the family are/were 100% Hearts.

Grim times for the club in my 1970's/early '80's schooldays and mostly surrounded by Hibs fans but quite enjoyed being maroon in amongst all that green slime (my dad's toned down nickname for them). Even though Hibs dominated the derby and generally did better than Hearts I always felt I/we were a cut above. Knew all along I was right and they were wrong.

lost in space
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Grew up in Leith, Dad and Grandad are Hearts. This is my first ever visit to Tynecastle in March 1990. I'm the wee dude.....

_20200620_010524_compress3.thumb.jpg.e4cdfb8323c700c821d1dd6da703e9de.jpg

Sure that's not 1890? Great souvenir to have.

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

If i remember correctly you had plenty time to sup up and get to the bus. It allways sat outside the Corstorphine inn for ages 

No supping up we were about 14 ha ha.:lol:, loved the corrie inn when old enough to go in, couple o pints,

game of snooker at the manse road snooker hall.

William H. Bonney
36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Great photo to have. 

Superb memory to have in print considering my dad doesn’t know if my first game was in season 84/85 or 85/86. 
I would love to know my first game. 

FERRY HEARTS

Born and Bred in the Ferry . Auld man passed away when I was 5 and it was older brothers job to look after me on a Saturday. We went everywhere and I was brought up on 1st devision football in 70s 

as Goldie 83 says it’s hard spotting a Hobo out our way. Gorgie Rules 

Born in Niddire. Grew up and went with Craigmillar hearts. My dad moved in with my grandad at Hutchinson. I went to my 1st hearts game in 86 vs morton with my uncle on the bus.

Still a massive hearts contingent in craigmillar/niddrie/peffermill. 

I moved down to Reston 10 years ago to be next to my mum. Still remember the smell of fountainbridge brewery and the chippy on Gorgie Road. 😭😭😭😭😭

The football is the cause of going. However what I miss is meeting family who have long passed on matchday and catching up with people. 

Couldn't care who pulls on the maroon Jersey. 3 points is irrelevant and a very welcome happy bonus as long as the company is good. Because that's for me is what it's all about. 

Hearts is more than a club. It's a family. 

I miss my family 

Abbeyhill lad so quite near to Easter Road.

Most of my friends were hibbies and I actually have photos of me as a very young lad in that purple hubs top they had way back in the 70s I think.

First game I went to was Hubs v dundee on a Wednesday night wi my pals and after the match my pals noticed spittings on the back of my coat. 

I couldn't support a team where they spit on each other.

My dad didn't go to football but preferred Hearts.

First hearts game was the 1986 cup final against Aberdeen 😢 

I was hooked and haven't looked back.

Had a season ticket fir the next 8/9 seasons taking in euro trips to Munich and Bologna on the Leith/Rosenurn bus and  Prague by plane.

Moved away fi Edinburgh 96.

Work and family commitments took over 

My Grandad was from Niddrie and he and all the men in the family were Hearts. After WW2 they would meet at the clock at Haymarket at 1pm every home game and head up to Tynie with my dad small enough to go under the turnstile! He said he used to sit at his dads feet and count lollipop sticks as he couldn’t see the game. After the game they would head back to my Grandads and play poker. If you missed a game you were sin died. We live in Dalkeith now and I started going early 80’s. I’d do some chores and paper rounds or Bob a jobs to get £3.50 to go and watch Hearts 50p for the bus 50p for a bag of chips and £2.50 to get in. When Hearts played away I used to go to cadets at Milton Bridge. Great days 👍🏻🇱🇻

1 hour ago, millerjames398 said:

I was raised just along from larbert..on the other side of the dobbie hall, in antonshill, my dad was hearts daft, so it was passed onto me, larbert high was pretty much exclusively rangers (glory hunting 9iar trolls) and a sprinkle of Falkirk fans, i can honestly say in my year i think i was the only hearts fan, not one single vermin fan in the whole school in my 4 1/2 years at larbert high, so games v Falkirk were like a derby, more for them than me, bless them, but some good banter..until a certain 6-0 game😖😄

Yeh, I was brought up at Pembroke St, up at Burnhead, two or three families up there with fellow Jambos in, great going through on the train back then🍺

Midloth_Iain

Southern outskirts (Southhouse, Fernieside, Gilmerton)

Area had a mixed bag of fans growing up, mostly Hearts.

Gilmerton these days has too many glory hunters to the east end of Weej

millerjames398
1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

Yeh, I was brought up at Pembroke St, up at Burnhead, two or three families up there with fellow Jambos in, great going through on the train back then🍺

Do you know olly the jambo postman? I remember him and his dad were regulars on the train from larbert back in the 90s, used to be a few travelled through, good times👍🏼🇱🇻

Whatsthefuture

Longstone, many Hearts minded and a few hibs. Remember my Dad taking me to his aunts flat behind the goals and sitting on the edge watching games around 5 or 6. 

Just now, millerjames398 said:

Do you know olly the jambo postman? I remember him and his dad were regulars on the train from larbert back in the 90s, used to be a few travelled through, good times👍🏼🇱🇻

Probably if I saw him MJ, but the names not ringing any bells, guys from up my way we’re the 2 Anderson brothers, the Leadbetters,

there was ‘Fred’ Honeyman, tosh, Davy Lieshman and others from Stenhousemuir & the Hill brothers from up Queens drive.

when I fancy a pint or 2 I sometimes gadge a lift of one of the Grant twins.

if you ever need a lift through to Tynecastle when we are up & running give me a PM👍

4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Bath is a cracking place good boozers well twelve years ago they were a nice wee midweek break.

Been here almost 20 years now. Only popped down to get away for a few days, well that was the original plan. I never expected I'd still be here today. If you decide to visit again after all this virus shit is over, I recommend staying in the Hill House guest house. Its a 10 minute walk to the city centre and its run by a lovely couple. Downside, going into town its downhill but uphill back the way.

6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Round the corner from corstorphine primary, next to st margarets park, 2 mins from the corstorphine inn.

Some match days about 14 of us covered in maroon would get the no 1 bus to the game in the 70s.

Last time I visited Edinburgh I shat myself when I saw the number 1 bus on Princes Street.

millerjames398
27 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Probably if I saw him MJ, but the names not ringing any bells, guys from up my way we’re the 2 Anderson brothers, the Leadbetters,

there was ‘Fred’ Honeyman, tosh, Davy Lieshman and others from Stenhousemuir & the Hill brothers from up Queens drive.

when I fancy a pint or 2 I sometimes gadge a lift of one of the Grant twins.

if you ever need a lift through to Tynecastle when we are up & running give me a PM👍

Thats a smashing offer mate, much appreciated👍🏼, im not sure on those names, but im sure my old man would have known them, he was a well kent jambo in stenhousemuir, you might have known him jim "dusty" miller, he passed away 6yrs ago now...he was loved and loathed in equal measure 😄🇱🇻

Fort Vallance
13 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Sunny Drylaw in the north side of town for me although I can't remember anyone ever saying they came from the north of the city.

First game 59/60 I think. Some of the trips on the Drylaw bus will live long  long in the memory😀

Made the short walk up from Muirhouse to travel on the Drylaw bus. Some interesting memories to say the least. Leaving the Doo'Cot for Pittodrie with a full bus and getting back half empty springs to mind. If I remember correctly a number of the casualties were in Perth on the way up.

32 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Thats a smashing offer mate, much appreciated👍🏼, im not sure on those names, but im sure my old man would have known them, he was a well kent jambo in stenhousemuir, you might have known him jim "dusty" miller, he passed away 6yrs ago now...he was loved and loathed in equal measure 😄🇱🇻

I do remember Jim.👍 sorry to hear of his passing, always a hole in your life when you loose a loved one, take care MJ.

willie wallace
43 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Made the short walk up from Muirhouse to travel on the Drylaw bus. Some interesting memories to say the least. Leaving the Doo'Cot for Pittodrie with a full bus and getting back half empty springs to mind. If I remember correctly a number of the casualties were in Perth on the way up.

I wasn't on that trip but I remember it .I think painting YMD slogans on the walls in Perth did'nt go down to well😀

Aberdeen away was my favourite game of the season.

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

Hi Dave. We might have been at Lasswade at the same time, possibly? Remember Jimmy Greenfly well. 

I was there 69 - 75.  Not a good time to be a Hearts supporter. 

Difficult one. Born in Edinburgh, moved to borders when young then back to Shandon. Parents have had second place in Gorgie whilst we moved around since I was young. Mum’s from there (apparently it used to be a lot nicer) and dad is from Broomhouse. Now live in London. Haven’t been to a game in years but it never leaves you. Forever maroon. 

millerjames398
1 hour ago, jamboozy said:

I do remember Jim.👍 sorry to hear of his passing, always a hole in your life when you loose a loved one, take care MJ.

Thanks for that mate👍🏼 he was some fella, but got to love him for passing on the the famous to me..even though its felt like a curse at times 😄🇱🇻

Ex member of the SaS

Born and brought up in Gilmerton area. First game was with my pal  ( neighbor ) and his dad. They went to all Hearts games and I was allowed to tag along. I was so small the only time I saw the ball was when it was 30ft in the air!! ( more than 60 years ago. )

scott herbertson

Born and brought up in Mountcastle/ Northfield in 1956 , went to Porty - big majority of Hibbys so we Hearts guys used to band together. 4 or 44 bus up to Gorgie on a Saturday morning, scarves out once we were safely on the bus at the top of the Farm Avenue! Our Grandfather was a big jambo from Tolcross which is where we inherited our good side from.

andythejambo

Both sides of my parents families lived just off Easter Road, but families had always been Hearts fans, paternal Grandad played for Leith Athletic. Born at Seafield, but grew up in Gracemount. After pestering my Dad to take us to the football, my first match was actually Hibs v Motherwell, as my Dad worked shifts, and that was his Saturday off. The Steelmen gave them a thumping. My next game was an evening match at Tynecastle. Remember getting the number 31 all the way to Roseburn, and seeing the distant glow in the night sky. It was also the first time I experienced the distinctive aroma, associated with Russell Road into McLeod Street. Hearts gave Hamiton a walloping. Decided there and then, it was Hearts for me. 58 years later, still the same. 

millerjames398
26 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Thanks for that mate👍🏼 he was some fella, but got to love him for passing on the the famous to me..even though its felt like a curse at times 😄🇱🇻

Class of 75
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I was there 69 - 75.  Not a good time to be a Hearts supporter. 

I can imagine it wasn't. Unfortunately I was there a little later. I didn't join the school until 1987. However, Jimmy Greenfly was still there. He was a Hibby and could be very strict but also fair. He has passed away now. 

7 hours ago, goldie83 said:

South Queensferry for me. It was literally all Hearts when I was growing up in the late 80’s early 90’s. Few Hibs but not many, think there was only one from the dozen or so mates of mine. First game we beat Kilmarnock 6-1 in 87. “Hearts will do for me I thought to myself!!”. Foster scored late on. HHGH.

From kirky and that was and is still predominantly jambos's, there has been a little bit more hobbits about since they won the cup ( against probably the worst rangers team in 20 years) but will disappear into the distance again when admin hits them 😉. I used to go on the Ferry Hearts bus in the 80's was mental

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Great photo to have. 

4 hours ago, lost in space said:

Sure that's not 1890? Great souvenir to have.

Cheers. My mum cut it out of the Pink so the quality isn't great :laugh2: just found it in a box the other day. 

17 hours ago, kila said:

What tune do these lyrics go to?

Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please......  :)

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

I can imagine it wasn't. Unfortunately I was there a little later. I didn't join the school until 1987. However, Jimmy Greenfly was still there. He was a Hibby and could be very strict but also fair. He has passed away now. 

Yes, I knew he had died a while back. 

Grew up in "The Christians" stuck between Portobello and Magdalene, first game was in 66.  Had to survive late 60s and 70's in a predominately hibs supporting area at a time when we were not very good. Always a fair sprinkling of Hearts fans about though.

TyphoonJambo
3 hours ago, willie wallace said:

I wasn't on that trip but I remember it .I think painting YMD slogans on the walls in Perth did'nt go down to well😀

Aberdeen away was my favourite game of the season.

The Hansen brothers i think 🤔 

TyphoonJambo
4 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Had a milk round in muirhouse. Saturday was double milk, hard work, but also pay day. The good thing was all the milk floats had to return to the gorgie dairy. On a Saturday morning the one from muirhouse looked like a supporters bus. A dozen scruffy muirhouse urchins hanging of it givving it big licks as we trundled through murrayfield at 6 mph belting out Hello, Hello, long before it became non compliant 😁😁

Edited by TypoonJambo

Born in clermiston 1967, 5 minute walk down the Drum Brae to "The Rainbow" 

Went to the games with my brother, he used to lift me over the turnstiles when I was wee, cant really remember much, first game I can remember was the last game of the 79-80 season 1-0 win v Airdrie, then the pitch invasion,

40 years.... wow.

Edited by rmreido

maroondevo52

Born in Fountainbridge, used to walk to Tynie. Went to Tynecastle High was forever getting into trouble in English lessons for looking out the window watching Alan Anderson ect training.

Mind I got a job on the Milk with St Cuthberts, my mates used to sing the Steptoe theme when I went along Gorgie with the horse and cart.

Abbeyhill for me but dad was a jambo so there wasn't any chance of supporting Hibs although I did go to Easter Road with my pals when Hibs were at home, 10 mins after half time when they opened the gates. First Hearts game was 1963 when we beat Third Lanark 2-0. Sons and grandson also Jambos now, it's the only way to be!

Niddrie boy, my grandad took me along to tynecastle to see the famous and stop my dad taking me to darkhied. First memory of the place must have been about 1990 sitting in the main stand and wishing I was on the terraces bouncing around.