Sporting Director

steve123

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I’ve said before I think the SD will have a better handle on the modern player than your older managers. No offence to JJ but I don’t think he fits the bill for SD

But he's not being hired as a SD.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I still find the fact that two people would be reporting directly to Ann about the "football department" odd. Someone has to be in charge surely. And for me that has to be the manager ... and  he should  choose whatever assistance he needs.

If they have completely different responsibilities neither needs to be above the other. I have no idea what the responsibilities will be be for the SD but I get the impression that it is envisaged as being a significant change from the previous DoF role.

Greedy Jambo

If we get a sporting director, a director of sport, a director of football, a football director, a loans manager, a manager of loans, a coach, a head coach, an assistant head coach, a head of recruitment sporting coach director scout...... 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

If we get a sporting director, a director of sport, a director of football, a football director, a loans manager, a manager of loans, a coach, a head coach, an assistant head coach, a head of recruitment sporting coach director scout...... 

Well need a manager for them as well. 

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

But he's not being hired as a SD.

No I know but people are saying, as he's there why do we need one? I'm delighted he's back and there's no-one I'd trust more to advise a board who have been seen to be a bit lax when it comes to the footballing side of "The business". 

At the same time I still believe we need a Sporting Director/DOF

Austin MacGlee

Think we need a CEO more than a sporting director at this stage. Budge has repeatedly failed in footballing decisions and with her at the helm it's hard to see us progress to be the force we all know we are capable of being. JJ is great to have back on board though so I can't fault her there. Would just prefer there was a CEO making those types of decisions in the long term. Appreciate she's doing her best in terrible circumstances so have avoided coming on here to vent for the most part. Just have deep concerns with Budge in charge of football at Hearts. The optimist in me is telling me that JJ is a step away from her making stupid decisions though. A CEO should be number one priority once the dust has settled on the expulsion/arbitration/war we're currently immersed in. 

I miss actual football so badly.

Austin MacGlee

Think we need a CEO more than a sporting director at this stage. Budge has repeatedly failed in footballing decisions and with her at the helm it's hard to see us progress to be the force we all know we are capable of being. JJ is great to have back on board though so I can't fault her there. Would just prefer there was a CEO making those types of decisions in the long term. Appreciate she's doing her best in terrible circumstances so have avoided coming on here to vent for the most part. Just have deep concerns with Budge in charge of football at Hearts. The optimist in me is telling me that JJ is a step away from her making stupid decisions though. A CEO should be number one priority once the dust has settled on the expulsion/arbitration/war we're currently immersed in. 

I miss actual football so badly.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

No I know but people are saying, as he's there why do we need one? I'm delighted he's back and there's no-one I'd trust more to advise a board who have been seen to be a bit lax when it comes to the footballing side of "The business". 

At the same time I still believe we need a Sporting Director/DOF

What duties do you envisage him doing that provide extra value to the club?

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

What duties do you envisage him doing that provide extra value to the club?

When the manager identifies a player the DOF does the rest. Agents approach the DOF NOT the manager. Arranging meetings with players/agents etc. Oversees reserves/youth team comings and going’s

Link between manager/board

Allows the manager to concentrate on first team. 

23 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

When the manager identifies a player the DOF does the rest. Agents approach the DOF NOT the manager. Arranging meetings with players/agents etc. Oversees reserves/youth team comings and going’s

Link between manager/board

Allows the manager to concentrate on first team. 

I might be splitting hairs here but I would like the manager to be the Director of Football ie responsible for all football related matters - the one who manages the football side of the club including identifying signings. (No grey areas and no overlap of duties).  He is the boss, amen!

Regarding signings etc it is more someone of an administrative nature to do the donkey work that we need, not necessarily with a football background but all the better if he has.  I would add that when we get to the final stages of a signing it would be remiss of the manager not to be in attendance at some point to welcome the new man aboard.

IMO the assistant manager and coaches should have clearly defined roles working with the reserves and youths in conjunction with Roger Arnott.

Greedy Jambo
4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Well need a manager for them as well. 

You wanting rid of Neilson already?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

You wanting rid of Neilson already?

Aye, phoodle ohout

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I might be splitting hairs here but I would like the manager to be the Director of Football ie responsible for all football related matters - the one who manages the football side of the club including identifying signings. (No grey areas and no overlap of duties).  He is the boss, amen!

Regarding signings etc it is more someone of an administrative nature to do the donkey work that we need, not necessarily with a football background but all the better if he has.  I would add that when we get to the final stages of a signing it would be remiss of the manager not to be in attendance at some point to welcome the new man aboard.

IMO the assistant manager and coaches should have clearly defined roles working with the reserves and youths in conjunction with Roger Arnott.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then. I think the modern football manager has far too much on his plate to deal with ALL football related matters.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree then. I think the modern football manager has far too much on his plate to deal with ALL football related matters.

I'm not suggesting he personally deals with ALL football related matters but that he is responsible for them and dictates the strategy.  He will certainly be most heavily involved with the 1st team as that's our bread and butter but should delegate duties, as I outlined, to other coaches and the assistant manager  - and of course some administrative individual who will do the leg work re signings etc.  We need clear direction and stability and too many hands on the tiller will endanger that.  The manager decides what will and will not happen and everyone works towards that end.

25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not suggesting he personally deals with ALL football related matters but that he is responsible for them and dictates the strategy.  He will certainly be most heavily involved with the 1st team as that's our bread and butter but should delegate duties, as I outlined, to other coaches and the assistant manager  - and of course some administrative individual who will do the leg work re signings etc.  We need clear direction and stability and too many hands on the tiller will endanger that.  The manager decides what will and will not happen and everyone works towards that end.

Personally I think we have been top heavy with coaches/clipboard carriers all eager to please 1 man and that has contributed massively to where we are.

SD reports to board and supports manager

Manager manages first team and identifies his targets which SD facilitates. 
The SD role is alongside the manager working towards a common goal. Successful 1st team.

SD also assists others meaning manager doesn’t have to. 
Their relationship is critical and, IMO appointing one AFTER we appointed a manager is a mistake unless the manager has/can work with them and vice versa.

In short I believe we need one but it has to be the right one.

3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Personally I think we have been top heavy with coaches/clipboard carriers all eager to please 1 man and that has contributed massively to where we are.

SD reports to board and supports manager

Manager manages first team and identifies his targets which SD facilitates. 
The SD role is alongside the manager working towards a common goal. Successful 1st team.

SD also assists others meaning manager doesn’t have to. 
Their relationship is critical and, IMO appointing one AFTER we appointed a manager is a mistake unless the manager has/can work with them and vice versa.

In short I believe we need one but it has to be the right one.

Why can't the manager himself report to the Board?  Why does he need a SD to do that?  If things go wrong and the Board need to know why, then surely it's better hearing straight from the horse's mouth rather than via a SD.  It's not like these meetings will take up 2 hours a day of the manager's time every day.

The folly of appointing a SD before a manager is drawn sharply into focus by current events.  We have a manager and no SD but if it were the other way round, the SD would be here looking at prospective signings to foist upom the incoming manager or we'd be starting all over again, and too late, identifying who the manager wants/needs.

Your last sentemce goes without saying and that applies to every club official or player - often easier said than done!

AllyjamboDerbyshire
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Why can't the manager himself report to the Board?  Why does he need a SD to do that?  If things go wrong and the Board need to know why, then surely it's better hearing straight from the horse's mouth rather than via a SD.  It's not like these meetings will take up 2 hours a day of the manager's time every day.

The folly of appointing a SD before a manager is drawn sharply into focus by current events.  We have a manager and no SD but if it were the other way round, the SD would be here looking at prospective signings to foist upom the incoming manager or we'd be starting all over again, and too late, identifying who the manager wants/needs.

Your last sentemce goes without saying and that applies to every club official or player - often easier said than done!

I suspect that reporting to the board is quite a time consuming thing - writing reports and spending the morning or afternoon in the boardroom rather than the training ground - and that not all managers are well able to communicate at board level, either. As to the folly of appointing a manager before an SD, I'd just say that every professional football club needs a manager (or head coach) but all can function to a reasonable degree without an SD. Plus, of course, you take the manager you want when he's available, or the club he's with are most in need of the compensation you can pay.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Robbie does and will report directly to the Chief Exec even when we have a Sporting Director