Sporting Director

steve123

I suspect we are just going to make do with what we have in the Championship plus maybe let Robbie pick one or two of his own perhaps. Makes sense. Save the money for another year...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clerry Jambo

Club trying to get SD in by end of Aug

Robbie wanted out of Dundee UTD as DOF had sole charge of players in/out

Source = excellent

If we have delayed the appointment then it’ll either be due to finances or we haven’t found the right guy yet....or we have but he isn’t available at the moment.

I really don’t see how it can used as a stick to beat AB or the club with.....situations do change and even more so at the moment. 

14 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Trying to get a Sporting Director in a pandemic where we have next to no income makes little sense. They would need to agree reduced wages and terms etc. It’s frustrating but I understand the delay to be honest.

Fair point, but we announced our intention to appoint one during this situation, and again said we would appoint them before the manager (again).  

We should not have even mentioned a SD, unless we were sure we were appointing one, especially since we did fail to last time.  

12 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Source = excellent

If that why he went to MK? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 hours ago, DH1986 said:

If we have delayed the appointment then it’ll either be due to finances or we haven’t found the right guy yet....or we have but he isn’t available at the moment.

I really don’t see how it can used as a stick to beat AB or the club with.....situations do change and even more so at the moment. 

There’s always some excuse

Tommy Brown
16 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Source = excellent

who was/is dof at DU?

pettigrewsstylist
22 hours ago, biffa12 said:

Yet again a minority take Red Top Gossip as gospel when on other threads the Red Tops are the scum of the earth. For the sake of sanity can we try and base opinion on informed comments from official sources without the needless knee jerking - then again......

Indeed. Its drivel gluttony.

Do some folk seriously want us to just go out and appoint anyone, whether they are the right person for the job or not? I’d rather wait and get the right person myself.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

Francis Albert
24 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Tony ashgar. He's a former agent

As I said DoFs or SDs are usually back room nonentities. If he did indeed have sole charge of recruitment I am surprised Robbie lasted as long at DU as he did. A manager without final say in recruitment (at least beyond Academy entrance level) simply cannot be a proper manager.

And as for the SD having a say in selecting the manager if that was the intention in appointing the SD first ... I am pleased Ann has had second thoughts. Sporting Administrator seems to me a better title for what the role should be about.

Edited by Francis Albert

31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As I said DoFs or SDs are usually back room nonentities. If he did indeed have sole charge of recruitment I am surprised Robbie lasted as long at DU as he did. A manager without final say in recruitment (at least beyond Academy entrance level) simply cannot be a proper manager.

And as for the SD having a say in selecting the manager if that was the intention in appointing the SD first ... I am pleased Ann has had second thoughts. Sporting Administrator seems to me a better title for what the role should be about.

Correct.

A manager without sole charge of recruitment is simply a Head Coach, who has to work with players foisted on him whether he likes it or not..

Sporting Administrator is certainly nearer the mark than SD.

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

Two signings well known to the club. We can't just rely on aging players who have done a job in the past. We need to start looking to the future.

Gordon will help Stone as well as upgrade us instantly in the gk area. 

Robbie is a 40 year old manager, not a player. 

Francis Albert
59 minutes ago, Bigteam said:

I have heard Davie Weir needs more time to get organised, JJ will be announced in the interim

The Tynecastle Old Boys Club!

Haringshairband
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Gordon will help Stone as well as upgrade us instantly in the gk area. 

Robbie is a 40 year old manager, not a player. 

I'm not saying Gordon isn't a great signing, what I am saying is that throughout the club and fanbase  the default setting is to suggest previous players. Why can't we source new players that will take the club forward? 

As a club we are at risk of going stale. I must admit I'm gutted we got rid of Stendel. Maybe it's cos he wasn't a PHM.

33 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I'm not saying Gordon isn't a great signing, what I am saying is that throughout the club and fanbase  the default setting is to suggest previous players. Why can't we source new players that will take the club forward? 

As a club we are at risk of going stale. I must admit I'm gutted we got rid of Stendel. Maybe it's cos he wasn't a PHM.

Stendel’s record was not great, and in all honesty I didn’t get the impression he wanted to stay.

3 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Tony ashgar. He's a former agent

The mouthpiece who thinks Dundee United are a bigger club than HMFC.

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Great post. The Manager should only be accountable to : CEO /

Owner. 

55 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Great post. The Manager should only be accountable to : CEO /

Owner. 

Think we will get a temporary SD in to help Robbie out until the preferred candidate can be hired. Robbie needs to be full time on pre-season and getting the team playing how he wants them to play. Leave the transfer negotiations etc to someone else. Your Personal ultimate Hearts hero likely to get the gig I’d think. 

15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think we will get a temporary SD in to help Robbie out until the preferred candidate can be hired. Robbie needs to be full time on pre-season and getting the team playing how he wants them to play. Leave the transfer negotiations etc to someone else. Your Personal ultimate Hearts hero likely to get the gig I’d think. 

Please remind me who my personal ultimate hero is ?

You wouldn't be pulling my chain would you.......CL is it. Naw no way.   😉

6 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Do some folk seriously want us to just go out and appoint anyone, whether they are the right person for the job or not? I’d rather wait and get the right person myself.

It’s been 8 months we’ve been looking apparently.  Now on hold again.  Robbie also wants to work with one.  

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

It’s been 8 months we’ve been looking apparently.  Now on hold again.  Robbie also wants to work with one.  

Small matter of not knowing what league we will be in? Money being tight? It stands to reason the goalposts have been moved, and an appointment that you would want to be long term might be affected.

3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Robbie needs to forget about Levein. Robbie might want a SD to help him only just like he has an assistant manager or first team coach.

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Small matter of not knowing what league we will be in? Money being tight? It stands to reason the goalposts have been moved, and an appointment that you would want to be long term might be affected.

Of course and all such things should be considered. Why did the club feel to mention it a lot when appointing Robbie in that case while interviewing candidates a couple of weeks ago though?  

Just now, mitch41 said:

Robbie needs to forget about Levein. Robbie might want a SD to help him only just like he has an assistant manager or first team coach.

You could end up with a very unhappy head coach if he came to the club on the assurances he was going to be working with a SD though?  I’m sure not having one was one of the reasons he gave for bawsing up down south? 

37 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

JJ of course 

18 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Mitch, don’t ever say I didn’t give you the heads up on a bit of itk’ery

On 14/07/2020 at 09:55, Bigteam said:

I have heard Davie Weir needs more time to get organised, JJ will be announced in the interim

Looks like it is going to be Weir then. 

41 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Mitch, don’t ever say I didn’t give you the heads up on a bit of itk’ery

OK I will never doubt you ever. And I mean never.

On 14/07/2020 at 08:11, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There’s always some excuse

Could there not just be a good reason as opposed to an excuse?

19 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Spot on.

On 14/07/2020 at 09:55, Bigteam said:

Need a better offer is what I heard. 

portobellojambo1
On 14/07/2020 at 16:55, soonbe110 said:

JJ of course 

I think this is a good and sensible appointment. I think being appointed to provide help to the board rather than someone in to oversee the manager is also sensible. I think over the last few years there have been periods where the board possibly needed some guidance, but I'm a great believer that the manager should be dealing with the  football playing side of the business. We have admin staff who can deal with drafting up contracts and dealing with other aspects, I don't think we need what was previously called the Director of Football and this time round was being classed as the Sporting Director. The sport is football, the manager directs what is going on, and the board make decisions and now have someone to guide them. All sorted.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 14/07/2020 at 03:36, Haringshairband said:

As your user name alludes to we do that most of the time.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Clerry Jambo
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I think this is a good and sensible appointment. I think being appointed to provide help to the board rather than someone in to oversee the manager is also sensible. I think over the last few years there have been periods where the board possibly needed some guidance, but I'm a great believer that the manager should be dealing with the  football playing side of the business. We have admin staff who can deal with drafting up contracts and dealing with other aspects, I don't think we need what was previously called the Director of Football and this time round was being classed as the Sporting Director. The sport is football, the manager directs what is going on, and the board make decisions and now have someone to guide them. All sorted.

Totally agree PJ.

Ann needs help with all that's going on and also a voice that can defend the club to the hilt from the "monkeys" outside.

JJ has plenty respect inside and outside the club

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Worth pointing out that Robbie will work alongside the eventual SD not under him and both will report directly to Budge. She clarified the new structure after Levein went and she nixed the DoF position.

Edited by ToqueJambo

portobellojambo1
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Worth pointing out that Robbie will work alongside the eventual SD not under him and both will report directly to Budge. She clarified the new structure after Levein went and she nixed the DoF position.

The role being touted was for a Sporting Director, however, we've just appointed Jim Jefferies as an advisor to the board, presumably to advise on football aspects, I doubt he is being appointed to tell Ann Budge how to manage the business per se. Do you think we will now appoint a Sporting Director as well, do we need one and if so for what for. It is diffcult to say much more than the Director of Football didn't achieve what I pictured the role to be. There's an old saying that too many cooks spoil the broth, and the appointment of another directorship seems a bit excessive to me. That's not to say it won't happen, I just don't think it needs to.

Edited by portobellojambo1

45 minutes ago, OTT said:

Do you mean we need to offer him more money?

That’s why he isn’t here already. Loans manager at Brighton earns more than SD at Hearts 

Edited by soonbe110

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s why he isn’t here already. Loans manager at Brighton earns more than SD at Hearts 

I've made my concerns about appointing Weir clear earlier in the thread, but adding to that it will be a costly appointment just reinforces my concerns. 

Putting aside those concerns, its a chance to step up. Sporting Director is more senior than 'Loans manager'. He either wants to move up in his career or he wants money, he's not got the experience as a Sporting Director (none to be specific) to command a big wage and get both. I don't think we should be throwing money to convince him to come. He either believes in the ethos of the club and himself to make a big enough success of it to get a move upwards, or he doesn't and he's happy earning the big bucks. 

Its just like the kids that get released from big clubs, they either go to another big club and continue to sit on the bench at the expense of their career, or they drop down a level take a pay cut and build experience, backing themselves to eventually get that big move. Whatever he wants we can probably buy considerably more experience for that money. 

Why pay over the odds for a rookie sporting director with no experience who will go west at the first opportunity? The smart choice is to go for someone older, wiser with bags of experience who is likely to see the project through to completion. We saw with Robbie the dangers of what happens when a core element of your strategy ups sticks and goes. It can absolutely implode the project from within. Its a huge risk and I'm not seeing the upside outweighing the downside. 

I’ve said before I think the SD will have a better handle on the modern player than your older managers. No offence to JJ but I don’t think he fits the bill for SD

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I still find the fact that two people would be reporting directly to Ann about the "football department" odd. Someone has to be in charge surely. And for me that has to be the manager ... and  he should  choose whatever assistance he needs.

Francis Albert
40 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I’ve said before I think the SD will have a better handle on the modern player than your older managers. No offence to JJ but I don’t think he fits the bill for SD

Quite. And some thought rightly that Levein was a dinosaur