Foster Gillette bid to buy club

Newton51

9 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Bollocks

Well, that's me skewered by your relentless, undeniable logic and pithy analysis. It really is a pleasure to interact with the Brains Trust on here at times.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• redjambo

• will-i-am-a-jambo

• cubanjambo

14 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

This is the bit that makes me wonder if Budge is leaking this particular one to the press in order to take attention away from the fact that Reconstruction remains dead in the water, so she's just wasted yet more time on something any fool could have told her wasn't going to happen. I doubt we'll take legal action either.

She really has shown herself to be completely useless at running this club.

She's made mistakes but she has brought a lot of benefits. 

Her biggest mistake was not insisting on CL standing down after the cup final. 

The biggest benefit was saving the club in the first place without that we wouldn't be discussing supposed wealthy individuals wanting to buy or invest in the club. 

We would have been a lot worse of without her. 

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

She's made mistakes but she has brought a lot of benefits. 

Her biggest mistake was not insisting on CL standing down after the cup final. 

The biggest benefit was saving the club in the first place without that we wouldn't be discussing supposed wealthy individuals wanting to buy or invest in the club. 

We would have been a lot worse of without her. 

I've no doubt someone would have stepped in if she hadn't. Hearts would have survived, I've absolutely no doubt about that.  

Her biggest mistake was involving Levein at all, but she's been nothing but one disaster after another for at lest 18 months.

Does anyone who thinks this is a good idea think this chancer, or some random Cuban would lump £1.4m p/a in to the club and not expect anything back? We’d be hard pushed to find any owner who would put that sort of money in. In fact, outside of the Old Firm, can anyone name one owner of a Scottish Football club who puts anything like that in to a club and doesn’t accumulate debt or expect the money back?

****ing hell. We have the best owners in the league. 

heartsfc_fan
1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Does anyone who thinks this is a good idea think this chancer, or some random Cuban would lump £1.4m p/a in to the club and not expect anything back? We’d be hard pushed to find any owner who would put that sort of money in. In fact, outside of the Old Firm, can anyone name one owner of a Scottish Football club who puts anything like that in to a club and doesn’t accumulate debt or expect the money back?

Spot on

25 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

I've no doubt someone would have stepped in if she hadn't. Hearts would have survived, I've absolutely no doubt about that.  

Her biggest mistake was involving Levein at all, but she's been nothing but one disaster after another for at lest 18 months.

And I've no doubt that if my 6 numbers had dropped last week I would have won the lottery!!   She stepped in.  End of argument.  

Byyy The Light

Always wary of guys like this. As others have said, what’s the motivation to essentially burn millions of pounds?

Like it or not, we are curtailed as to how much income we can generate. We can only ever sell circa 18,000 season tickets unless we move to a new purpose built stadium. Scottish football is never going to bring in billions in tv revenue so we’re left with Champions League cash as the only return for an investor.

That’s definitely not impossible but is it really worth the risk of the necessary outlay? If it’s to massage his ego then I’d steer well clear, what happens when he gets bored or realises the hard way how corrupt the game is here.

Interesting debate but FOH, a good manager and a bit of luck should see us win trophies with a chance to qualify for Champions League so Id much rather take my chances that way. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

This is the bit that makes me wonder if Budge is leaking this particular one to the press in order to take attention away from the fact that Reconstruction remains dead in the water, so she's just wasted yet more time on something any fool could have told her wasn't going to happen. I doubt we'll take legal action either.

**** off back across the road will you

John Findlay
12 hours ago, TheGoodLord said:

I think you’ve missed my point. I mean I’m enjoying the fact other clubs would bite his hand off while we can hold our head high and say no thanks we have this covered. 

👍

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
42 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

If you read Murray's book you would know that there were no other credible persons, just that  Massone

31 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Who do you think would have stepped

in  ? 

Apart from a couple of fantasists there was no other offers. 

Did you know something that our Administrators were not aware of ? 

It's amusing how people try to rewrite history. 🤭

alicante jambo
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

Who do you think would have stepped in?

Rogue Daddy
49 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

100% this! 👍

will-i-am-a-jambo
11 hours ago, cubanjambo said:

I don't see the dilemma anywhere. Why is it you think if we stay fan owned club and do not get a cheapskate spiv to start running the club we will end up average? We could do as good or bad but at least we will be giving it a go as the fan-owned club that we have rebuilt.

Don't get me wrong l'd love it if we were fan-owned and it lead to glory but in my opinion we need serious investment to get anywhere near challenging at the top end. Look at the millions Romanov put in and we still didn't manage a title. I'm just trying to be realistic.

ps l don't think this Gillet guy is the answer.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, TheGoodLord said:

100% Correct. Only thing I can’t fathom is realistically how much profit could you make? If you already have a few hundred mill what profit would you want to bother. 

Piss about act the big man, take a loan out against the club then punt it back to the fans. The whole thing screams we will lose out to me. 

14 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Don't get me wrong l'd love it if we were fan-owned and it lead to glory but in my opinion we need serious investment to get anywhere near challenging at the top end. Look at the millions Romanov put in and we still didn't manage a title. I'm just trying to be realistic.

ps l don't think this Gillet guy is the answer.

It will never happen though. There is no investor out there who would be prepared to put £1.4m p/a in, and not just add it to our debt, or expect it to be repaid. Honestly, I can’t think of one owner who has ever done this at a Scottish Club. 

If he buys the club then we will have went absolutely full circle haha. I can’t wait to start the “defence 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 defence 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻“. The Lithuanian “29ikuas” patter can be replaced with “brad and chad” patter as the place is filled with American Soccer players. Am all for it. Make Hearts great again..........

6 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Piss about act the big man, take a loan out against the club then punt it back to the fans. The whole thing screams we will lose out to me. 

Bonettis, Massone, De Stefano... that’s just off the top of my head. Masterson? 

No thanks. I’d sooner stick with the £1.4m p/a that we stick in.

The Old Tolbooth
19 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

If I was judged on my old man I'd be struggling 

It's a fair point mate, but when it comes to Hearts, and after what we've not long been through with Romanov, I'd rather not given the family history. 

4 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It will never happen though. There is no investor out there who would be prepared to put £1.4m p/a in, and not just add it to our debt, or expect it to be repaid. Honestly, I can’t think of one owner who has ever done this at a Scottish Club. 

Just look at Gretna and Brooks Mileson for a situation where things can go very awry if you don't have sustainable income. FoH is most definitely the way to go.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Just look at Gretna and Brooks Mileson for a situation where things can go very awry if you don't have sustainable income. FoH is most definitely the way to go.

It’s madness, honestly. :lol:

Theres the stability part that you mention, and that’s reason enough, but add to that the numbers: £1.4m p/a without accumulation of debt? There is not an owner on the planet who would do that for HMFC. 

I am defo on the side of "no", been there seen wot can appen, guvna.

Buuuuuuuuut, make ye fink eh!!

How good would it be. In relative terms not much investment would be needed to shake it up in Scottish football. 20mill on players. True investment in academy to rival even top Euro clubs, or certainly the top Portuguese, Dutch etc.

I like to dream. I'd love love love to be the team that beats the OF. See their numbers dwindle.

I don't want to be Man City, I want it with our identity and to be sensible and "all aboard".

If there was some way of tying significant investment to our model, especially safe guarding us against debt. Maybe the investor takes profit above a level but also liable for any debt or something. I know its not feasible but my brain does wander!!!

annushorribilis III
3 hours ago, AndyMcI said:

I agree.

I cant understand dismissing any option out of hand, especially where a partnership could be considered. If it is not right for the club, fine, but at least find out.

A lot of people are pretty much fixated by FOH and ownership being the best (only) option but I'll share a concern.

FOH is going great.....as it currently is. This is as a concept of fans taking over in the future and the only thing to concern everyone is making their pledges, they know all the decision making is not currently within their remit. Its accepted.

But, what concerns me is when we take over the club. There will be an elected board but the mindset changes. Everyone who pledges will "own the club" and when it comes to a bad transfer decision or a decision made by the club about something else and then a significant group disagree we are going to get "but i own part of the club and no one is listening to me".

Most will recognize that the club cannot be run by speaking to everyone for their opinion, nothing would ever get done! You just have to come on here daily to see how different everyone's opinion is and also how many football experts we have especially with the benefit of "hindsight" after events have happened.

My concern is that "backing the club" through FOH is fantastic for what it currently is and leaving (willingly) the decisions to others.

When it turns to ownership my concern the mindset will change and it will become something very very much different.

Lets hope I am proven totally and completely wrong!

This, very much this.

And I'm still trying to understand who at the club rejected the offer/interest and did the FoH directors know about it. 

cubanjambo
2 hours ago, HighTimes said:

Good Yin !  Let's turn this attempted takeover topic into an anti-Ann Budge topic cos she's no really done anything except run the Club down . 

cubanjambo
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

100% correct, but this Cuban would if he had it 👍

FOH can only take the club so far. Not enough money to compete with the big guns.

fan ownership in Germany is the answer where I believe the fans own 50%. If an investor wants to come in with serious money and intentions then we should listen. 
We all want success and European football and that needs money. Investors always want a return on their cash and they know the only way to get that is by having success on the park and sell merchandise to a bigger market.

The US seems the obvious one with our wonderful history based in the most historic city in Scotland, Edinburgh!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thanks for the compliment  :)

The Wrinkly Ninja
3 hours ago, HighTimes said:

It certainly had my attention for less than a second.

I spent more time reading your desperate post.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, weehammy said:

After 60 years of watching mediocrity (with a few highlights) I’d be happy to be Man City for a while before I cash in my chips.

Vlad’s first season showed that a relatively small investment in Scotland can produce a team that challenges. Unfortunately, Vlad was a loony who wanted to pick the team too.

Or Liverpool. 

Maybe Gillett is the first step on the path,  replaced by the next investment,  Champions League and beyond......

Nice day for a daydream 

buzzbomb1958
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

And I've no doubt that if my 6 numbers had dropped last week I would have won the lottery!!   She stepped in.  End of argument.  

She will always be remembered for saving our club,her mistakes will be forgotten over time imo

ToadKiller Dog
1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

This, very much this.

And I'm still trying to understand who at the club rejected the offer/interest and did the FoH directors know about it. 

There is a statement on your question out somewhere .

The approach was made from a third party to the club and was told no ,as Budge Bidcos responsibility is to transfer ownership to FOH ,which is delayed for obvious reasons.

I guess bosco doesnt have the ability to investigate such investment .

After ownership is transferred Gillette or others will be able to approach FOh and it will be upto us that are members to decide based on the 95% or 75% rule decided at next agm .

Off the top of my head so might not be fully accurate. 

8 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

T shirt cannons firing out the new top at half time. 

Hope not. That boy that tried to sue the club because he slipped on some coffee would be all over that.

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

There is a statement on your question out somewhere .

The approach was made from a third party to the club and was told no ,as Budge Bidcos responsibility is to transfer ownership to FOH ,which is delayed for obvious reasons.

I guess bosco doesnt have the ability to investigate such investment .

After ownership is transferred Gillette or others will be able to approach FOh and it will be upto us that are members to decide based on the 95% or 75% rule decided at next agm .

Off the top of my head so might not be fully accurate. 

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, cubanjambo said:

100% correct, but this Cuban would if he had it 👍

:D

Yep. No offence amigo. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Well l think we should try and find investors obviously but keep the fan-ownership. This would be my preference. I agree l don't think there is anyone out there at the moment that would be that philanthropic but never say never.

ps wasn't there the guy at Patrick that won the lottery? I'm sure he invested in them with no expectation of return? I could be wrong on that score! Doesn't help us but shows there may be folk out there. What about our own benefactors? Are they not investing with no return?

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Well l think we should try and find investors obviously but keep the fan-ownership. This would be my preference. I agree l don't think there is anyone out there at the moment that would be that philanthropic but never say never.

Definitely fine with investors, and agree that they are a nice addition to our fan ownership model. I prefer benefactors though. :D

Tell you what though, Budge has made mistakes, but she has grown the business massively (more than doubled our turnover), and the benefactors have pumped in outrageous amounts of cash. Even the sponsorship deal with the benefactors/StC is a huge increase on previous sponsorship deals. We’d be hard pushed to find investors who would put in more than the benefactors, and not want anything in return.

tolcross lad

After the years of effort I want to see fan ownership given a chance to work.I am willing to "pony up" to FOH and to the club but not to some American business man on the make.

4 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

After the years of effort I want to see fan ownership given a chance to work.I am willing to "pony up" to FOH and to the club but not to some American business man on the make.

Absolutely this. 

So he’s not heard from the club “officially” yet and hasn’t placed a formal bid. He wants to engage with the FoH and wants to invest significantly. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

So he’s not heard from the club “officially” yet and hasn’t placed a formal bid. He wants to engage with the FoH and wants to invest significantly. 

So he wants to put money in as an investment? So how will he realise a profit then?

If he wants to sponsor something, and we display his name or whatever, fine. If he wants ownership of something, he should be told to bolt. 

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

So he wants to put money in as an investment? So how will he realise a profit then?

I trust Budge to explore what he has to say. If he wants to invest with a view to owning some shares in the future then I wouldn’t be totally against it as long as it was on our terms and agreed with the board and FoH.  If he wants to just buy us straight out and ditch FoH etc then he can do one. Sponsorship would also be something worth discussing. Not all dicks are American millionaire owners but most American millionaire owners are dicks. Worth exploring. 

14 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’d be surprised if they were too. 
why the fek would we want to entertain Discussions on a bid from someone who has no connection to our club , and who’s family have a shit record in this field.

Id go as far as to say they are mental, Hibs or 11 year olds.

What has his family got to do with it ?

So if your father was a murderer do you place the sins of the father on the son..no and you cannot legally either

If stories are to be believed he has a wealth of 700 million so hardly broke....I would want to speak to people before making a decision and I'd like to see what is available after doing relevant checks.

I am not saying go ahead but common sense should apply

It would take a lot for me to 'vote to sell' but you are just being silly not even talking and it seems he wants to work with FOH as well

Once FOH own the club will we still see contributions continuing for a good few years ?..no certainty of that.

Edited by CJGJ

5 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

What has his family got to do with it ?

So if your father was a murderer do you place the sins of the father on the son..no and you cannot legally either

If stories are to be believed he has a wealth of 700 million so hardly broke....I would want to speak to people before making a decision and I'd like to see what is available after doing relevant checks.

I am not saying go ahead but common sense should apply

It would take a lot for me to 'vote to sell' but you are just being silly not even talking and it seems he wants to work with FOH as well

Once FOH own the club will we still see contributions continuing for a good few years ?..no certainty of that.

Agree.  

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

This, very much this.

You expected the FOH membership to be consulted over this ? 

We don't actually own the club yet. 

We are not going to be calling an EGM every time someone makes an enquiry. 

The Old Tolbooth
49 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

This is where I sit as well.